Programmers

programmers,

how the fuck do you work on non-novel projects? i have no problem sitting down to a genuinely new project, but after about 2 weeks i'll get bored of it.

i have an older project i need to work again that'd earn me very significant amount of money and i just can't get myself to work on it. every day i miss is losing me lots of potential income, but every time i try to work on it i will yell "FUCK FUCK FUCK THIS SHIT I'VE HAD FUCKING ENOUGH" and stuff like that and progress incredibly slowly, constantly keep opening up Jow Forums/reddit/etc and only and only go back when i realize what i'm doing. maybe work 1 minute out of 10 in the meanwhile get so incredibly frustrated that it's just an insane pain. also keep yelling constantly.

how do you work on a project like that? it's not particularly demanding mentally, i vastly just need to modernize my old code, but it's just so fucking hard.

any tips for that? without using stimulants ofc

Attached: 1523237720555.jpg (561x830, 83K)

i do life-enriching stuff, but i need tips to get actual work done.

that's your sanity speaking
The truth is programming is not fun and you fell for propaganda

>programming for free
literally could not pay me enough to look at a text editor ever again .

programming is super fun when your projects are working, it's just not usually the case AT ALL.

but it's not the point, i don't need it to be fun, i just need to be able to work on it for extended periods of time. i'm fine with feeling like shit and suffering inside as long as i can work, but i don't seem to be able to.

it's not free. that's the point. i'm losing a LOT of money by not getting this shit done and still completely unable to work on it.

i don't watch anime at all, just didn't see a fitting picture for this in my folder so picked this, only have like 3 anime pictures there all of which i got from Jow Forums

i have made up what my goal with my life is at 17 and it never changed (am 32 now, also a self-made millionaire). haven't cared about how i feel since then, as long as i can get work done. feels pretty shitty usually desu

but i don't see how it makes me more soulless than the mindless zombies who just follow their primtive feelings/instincts

bump

Listen . Learn F* idiot . You need to grow up

the money is the incentive you retard

i said i need to get work done. list me successful projects made in F* lol

what does growing up mean to you? i made much-much more money than most people in my demography

YES it should be, but it isn't working out right now

one last bump maybe someone who resolved this issue without stimulants is reading the board

>wait untill you've run out of money
>live on the street with no food untill you can't take it anymore
>try working retail or something similar
>???
>realize that developing systems that solve problems through computer programming is a brazillian times more fun than beeping doritos and cat food at a register for monies.

Attached: 1495809653508.jpg (1920x1200, 864K)

Ritilin

Then make a list of what needs to be done and for anything involving new activity instead of refactoring, think about only that for however long it takes
Also delete your Reddit account(s) you don't need accounts

Sounds like you don't love programming.
You only like doing the fun and easy parts, then the engineering challenge appears and you just get mad and quit and go back to low hanging fruit like dopamine on social media.

You are just addicted to never being challenged ever.

HAHAHAHA.
I love programming. You money chasing whores just think because one person loves it and makes bank that everyone can magically love it. Just quit.

It's called working you lazy nig

Not OP, but I needed this.
Haven't been on facebook, reddit (etc) for years, but you just made me realise I've been doing the same thing on imageboards for over a decade.
Thanks bro, I'm going to go finish some projects now.

Good on you lad.
See you tomorrow.

kek, I'm already back : ^ )

Maybe your depressed. Go see a shrink.

Either that or the carrot on a stick approach works for me.

Hooooooooo... that's a smug loli!

Anyway, OP. Work on the easier parts of your project (i.e.; UX if it's an application, etc) until inspiration hits.

alright OP, I'll bite
for a couple months a year ago I wrote an emulator. A great example of something non-novel because it has been done many times over and is well-maintained elsewhere. In addition, not making money from it

I was on sabbatical and in an environment where I could focus solely on only this while also being around other people - it was fantastic because I was able to program exactly what I wanted to. I learned an incredible amount in a very short time about low-level programming and computer architecture.

that's simply not going to be the case at work. Of course, there will be days you are astonished you get paid to program, and days you think of quitting - and the latter will probably happen more often. but keep it up, know you're becoming better. Find a mentor if you can.

Attached: qMN1are.jpg (1929x2908, 614K)