Hello Jow Forums

Hello Jow Forums,

I'm burnt out in my ((technology)) career doing systems/devops stuff. I've done security and sysadmin roles in the past, and my future seems more in software development, but I don't think I really enjoy it anymore. I've been in the industry less than 10 years so far.

I still love the open source world, GNU/Linux and BSD, I would probably tinker with these things in my free time still if I didn't have a job. The trouble is, every company is a complexity rat's nest, and eventually after a couple years it feels like an inescapable death march, whether it's a small startup or one of the big 4 in tech (I've done both now).

Has anyone here transitioned from tech into another industry? Where did you go? How hard was it?

Attached: 1498490521319.jpg (640x634, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/L7G0OfJUON8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do I need more anime before people respond or something?

Attached: 10z4x.png (1500x2000, 2.01M)

Go work for corporate that isn't as competitive. Like a telecomm or a b2b tech company.

Tech industry is horrible get out
But the young kids think I'm trying to short change them or something when I say that

Once you're in tech, you can't get out of tech. Nothing else pays as well without years of schooling and (can you imagine it) even more bullshit than you face in this industry.

Do you have any interests other than your career OP?

I'll look into this, although I have my reservations. I know that you probably mean less competition will lead to less stress, but I also wonder if it will leave me in the same bored state, but sooner.

I guess it's easy for us to say, we've made some money off of it. Meanwhile newcomers have dollar bills in their eyes, and won't understand until they have a little in their bank account, that we were right all along.

This is legitimizing a fear of mine for sure.

I play guitar and music is a huge passion of mine in general. I like finance, but I have a lot to learn in that regard. I love motorcycles, the engineering, watching races, riding for the experience and social aspect. I also just enjoy tinkering with operating systems like many others here, even unrelated to my career, but haven't in some time at home because of my burnout.

Attached: uhggg.png (652x795, 568K)

completely agree with you user. I left the industry 3 years ago, after coming to the same realization that I was just dealing with the same inane bullshit over and over for the past 11 years. Just constantly cleaning up other people's code messes and rats nests under unreasonable deadlines. So I bailed.

Initially I went to another white collar job where I figured I could make use of my background, and became a tech book editor for a notable publisher. But that too became soul sucking, and they increasingly kept insisting I do internal tech work for them, which defeated the entire purpose of why I went with that job in the first place. So I left and realized I really needed to go into something completely different, so I tried to start my own food business. Unfortunately, that required a lot of capital I didn't have at the time, so that didn't last very long.

I ended up going into finance and trading my own money until I built up enough capital to start random businesses with. Now I'm basically only using my tech skills to automate my trading with haskell (great language to manage and keep the complexity down), and am doing quite well with it. Maybe in another a year or two I'll have enough spare cash to throw at crazy business ventures. But overall, this has definitely been by far the most liberating and low-stress endeavor I've taken on, surprisingly. It required a lot of up-front research, but the payoff is well worth it, and the actual work/"maintenance" involved is pretty damn minimal if you set up a proper trading system. Now I basically spend most of my time fucking around, reading books, and learning obscure tech while the money rolls in.

spoken like a true wageslave. Should try using some creativity once in a while.

I wish I knew enough to trade. I enough to earn some substantial money, but also I would fear losing my security. I don't want to mention how much exactly but within the few hundreds of thousands saved up over the years post college.

I should also note that I do no-brainer things like max my 401k and put other things in index funds, but I don't trust myself to make individual stock decisions.

Attached: 1522776656451.png (1179x531, 167K)

> Do I need more anime before people respond or something?
It doesn’t hurt.

I’m working on doing this right now. I’ll be going to school for an engineering degree and want to have an escape plan. If I end up loving engineering (which I hope I will) then I’ll still have extra money to throw around. This is true liberation.

Read some books, make your own system, and don’t use your emotions.

I wish I knew how to program . I wish I wasn't traumatized by ides and text editors . I wish I could be good at something

In the long term they say that most companies can't beat many index funds, yet everyone thinks they can win investing on their own.

Do you play with all of your money, or do you split into index and other things? I have been picking up some books, but I wonder how well I can do still, knowing the same as everyone else out there, and less if people went to school for it.

Do you have any suggestions for what you referenced as up front research?

Attached: sl855qce7ym01.jpg (659x791, 58K)

normally I suggest people ignore all internet financial advice completely, since it's usually Jow Forums tier drivel, but unironically this.

Read books, and papers published in proper financial market research journals. It's not as complicated as it sounds, just perhaps a bit tedious to read and implement it all.

like what are some b ooks you recommend?

>In the long term they say that most companies can't beat many index funds...
>they say
there's your problem. Don't trust anything """they""" say. Do your own research. Read academic financial journals, and papers that talk about anomalies. Read papers published by funds that actually do consistently perform, instead of getting distracted by the sea of funds that clearly don't.

Furthermore, do you know why many funds don't perform? Because it's not in their interest to. Their business model revolves around management fees, not absolute returns. Their goal is just to get assets under management, and give people warm fuzzy feelings that they're "preparing for their future". Focusing on returns is an unnecessary liability for such funds, because most people don't even know enough about how markets work to even question the funds aggressively pitching them their shit tier products.

>Do you have any suggestions for what you referenced as up front research?
You can start by reading the book 'Market Sense and Nonsense'. Ultimately it's your choice if you want to adhere to the outdated efficient market dogma though, just as much as it would be your choice to believe in a flat earth.

>Their business model revolves around management fees, not absolute returns
True of some, but I recently talked to someone who took a percentage, like 1%?

>Market Sense and Nonsense
I'll look into it.

>I recently talked to someone who took a percentage, like 1%
if it's 1% off the total growth/profits, then that's a good start which suggests that they'll be aligned with your interests at least, but you'll still want to understand and evaluate their trading system as much as possible before committing.

>I'll look into it.
It's a good book to dispel misconceptions, but don't expect it to give you much in the way of trading advice.

You can check out the 'Trend Following' book for research into that particular trading style for example, and the book 'The Sensible Guide to Forex' for actual trading strategy implementation (you can ignore the 'forex' in the title if you wish, since the same principles apply to any market).

Ultimately it'll be up to you to pick a style of investing you're comfortable with though, and you'll need to decide on the details used to implement a system using that style. Just whatever you do, don't skimp on the portfolio management aspect!

Thanks, I'm making a note of all of these.

Any recommended reading on trading strategies?

Also if you are still here, what sites/services do you use for individual trading?

>tfw have someone else do all this for me because I'm too dumb to understand it

well, since I don't place actual trades very frequently, the rates/spreads/commission/etc aren't a terribly big factor for me, so I just focus on whatever's most convenient. And so far, oanda has had the sanest API I've tried, so I've stuck with that.

As for other tools, the only thing I've really used besides spreadsheets, are charts from tradingview. Stay away from their social features though, their feeds are just a bunch of noise.

also, I recommend watching this video just so you know what to expect from all those brokers and trading services out there:
youtu.be/L7G0OfJUON8

Following this thread with interest, some very insightful anons in here. I suffered my burnout and I am not even 30 yet.

Lost my passion for programming afterwards :(

just do what you love

Same, too bad it seems that people stopped posting.

If it’s not desktops, Jow Forumslution, or brand loyalty threads then nobody’s interested. Such a shame since there actually are smart and insightful people here.