Why did this happen to Tox?

Why did this happen to Tox?

Attached: theabsolutestateoftox.jpg (1000x1000, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/JFreegman/toxme
youtube.com/watch?v=FvMATHmQTZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

psyop by cia 2 git it removed by that new "sec trafficing" bill

I'm confused OP, what is this?
I use toxic to talk to a couple frens, is this some group chat or someshit?

> fully decentralized and all that jazz that service
> hey let's make a centralized server!
Shiggy diggy

Toxme.io, a centralized identity service. Basically trash, as you might have guessed by the .io domain. Now, a dns-like system to map IDs to readable usernames might now have been a bad idea, but apparently they added bios and used search and stuff.

>Toxme.io, a centralized identity service
ToxDNS is a standard part of the Tox system. You can setup your own server if you want, it's not centralized, and it's fully optional.
github.com/JFreegman/toxme
>Now, a dns-like system to map IDs to readable usernames might now have been a bad idea
If you're referring to basically making something like Toxme but have it be some kinda p2p integrated into the Tox protocol, that sounds awful. Just think of how centralized services like Skype are, where you have to load your username with tons of numbers because everything is already taken since there's only one database you can enter them into. The ToxDNS system we have now is better since it's more open.

No, I'm referring to how DNS records don't have "bio" fields with "I want to cam with little girls" written in them. They map an IP, to a domain name, and that's it.

Also you could achieve something similar in a p2p format with a namespace system.

>No, I'm referring to how DNS records don't have "bio" fields with "I want to cam with little girls" written in them. They map an IP, to a domain name, and that's it.
How does it really make much of a difference that you can enter some information if you like? Toxme.io doesn't even display the profile information in a list anymore by the way, you gotta open up the profile to see it.
>Also you could achieve something similar in a p2p format with a namespace system.
Would there be a way to make the registrations expire if they aren't used for a while?

So are they legit?

> How does it really make much of a difference that you can enter some information if you like?
Because it makes OP pic possible
> Toxme.io doesn't even display the profile information in a list anymore by the way, you gotta open up the profile to see it.
That's actually a pretty good start.

> Would there be a way to make the registrations expire if they aren't used for a while?
Not a bad idea.
Honestly, an Internet domain based namespace system has the advantage that registering a domain isn't that straightforward for the average person and requires maintenance and expenses, ensuring that everyone and their dog doesn't create their own (which would make namespaces just a fancy part of the username and defeat the entire purpose). On the other hand, it has the disadvantage that domains are used for a lot more than Tox name systems, which limits the available namespaces a lot.

I think for p2p namespaces there should be a way to make creation non-trivial, but I don't know enough about distributed systems to think of a good way to achieve that. If that can be solved, though, I think it would be really neat and render stuff like toxme.io unnecessary.

>Northern Europe
>torture
>little girls
>FGM
Sounds like a true "Swedish" guy

Attached: fuckt.jpg (1500x1144, 175K)

Can someone explain tox in simpler terms for me? I'm confused how it's decentralized, and still connects you to people. If I make an account with Antox, not choosing toxme, I didn't pick what server I registered with. Can I only chat with Antox client users? If not, and I can talk to someone using qTox or uTox, how are these decentralized databases connecting users? Where is my account stored? If it's stored locally, then I'm still connecting to a server to first get in contact with someone, then it's pure p2p? How do I choose which server to use? Since it's p2p they know my IP, so my messages are secure but talking to someone they can easily get my ip, making my location vuenerable, so doesn't that defeat the purpose?

There's no "account" - you get an ID string generated randomly, which is long enough that for practical purposes it's guaranteed to be unique. (I'm not sure what the actual length is, but it's probably around the order of "if every atom in the visible universe got their own Tox ID, the chance of any two having the same ID would still be negligible".) There are websites which offer "accounts", and at their core they are nothing more than a mapping of your ID string (which is long enough to be really hard to pronounce, remember, or type in, making copy pasting the only viable way to send it to someone) to a username of your choosing (which will probably be easier to remember and communicate to people). You can then tell people "add me, I'm [email protected]" and then their Tox client will make a lookup on the website toxme.io for the username "cuteloligirl", get back the actual ID string, and then connect as normal using that. The alternative, without using any third party websites (and thus remaining 100% pure p2p), is to just send them your ID string directly - this uses absolutely no central servers; the only parties involved are you and the person you're chatting with.

> Can I only chat with Antox client users?
Tox is a protocol - i.e. a definition of how clients can talk to each other. Anyone can make their own client that follows that protocol and it will be able to transparently talk to all other clients using the same protocol, i.e. it doesn't matter what you use. Of course, in practice, some clients may not support all features (e.g. you might use a client that doesn't support voice calls - if you do, people won't be able to call you).

> they can easily get my ip, making my location vuenerable,
I'm not sure whether they have anything against that in place, but anonymity is different from privacy. The main purpose of Tox is to ensure nobody can read your chats, not that nobody knows who you connect to.

(cont.)
I'm also fairly certain you can route Tox over Tor or I2P, thus achieving anonymity. This is normal - let the tool made for the job do the work, instead of reimplementing a shitty clone of Tor in Tox itself (which would be unlikely to work better, or even as well as the original, and would add a lot more work to the developers of Tox and clients).
By the way, centralized servers aren't any more anonymous, the only difference is the server is the one that sees your IP.

I'll tell you why. Because some idiots think "huh, it's anonymous, therefore I'm secure" is actually true. No you retards, it's fucking not. And aside from that - if you are metally ill, you need to go to a psychiatrist. End of story. No need to write cringy phrases like "I'm male and I love to lick little girls". Like what the actual fuck.

Fuckin' pedos.

this.

i thought mentally ill imbeciles were going to /b/

>you need to go to a psychiatrist
Psychiatry is an insane religion that aims for the annihilation of mankind.

Ahh okay. So not including a service like toxme.io, from regular account creation, to adding another user with your toxid, that is done without contacting any server, then all messaging from that point on is p2p, directly between the two people talking? And the ip subject makes sense, thanks. Now then where does the ability to host a server come into play, if it's p2p? Does it just allow for people to have chats on dedicated hardware, instead of it being p2p? Is the link above for the toxme repo that also that or is that just the alternative username ability backend code, is it the toxcore that I need? Want to test this all out, try setting up my own server on one of my vpses, so link to repo would be great. Thanks for your help for explaining it, much appreciated.

Ah yes, nuclear take, the rogue-like with mutants.

>being a scientologist

Scientology is honestly one of the better religions as long as you stay away from David Miscavige's organisation.

>believing in some weird volcano alien bullshit
whew lad

> from regular account creation, to adding another user with your toxid, that is done without contacting any server, then all messaging from that point on is p2p, directly between the two people talking?
Yup, that's one of the selling points of Tox

> Now then where does the ability to host a server come into play, if it's p2p?
It doesn't, unless you want to host a nameserver (so an alternative to toxme.io - keep in mind that toxme is in no way special and anyone can make their own).

> Does it just allow for people to have chats on dedicated hardware, instead of it being p2p?
No, that would defeat the point of Tox. IRC and XMPP are great protocols for non-p2p chats, and you can configure them to have excellent encryption (and/or connect over I2P and all that jazz if you want), if you're not looking for a p2p solution.

I hope this has cleared things up by now, but just to reiterate, the only reason you might want to use a server with Tox is to transform your long, unreadable, randomly generated ID into a username of your choosing. That's what the server link above is for. If you just want to get started chatting with Tox, literally all you need are two clients.

>hurr durr praise xenu good sir

Attached: 1522057382363.png (500x762, 486K)

>A pony in Equestria
Wow, that's a bit over the top.

Oh so there is no server to host, unless like you said, an alternative to toxme. Okay, got it 100%, I think I was confusing another encrypted chat client having the ability to host your own server (wire?). Anyway, I understand fully now. It's a shame that the core library for to hasn't been touched in 2 years, you think the project is dead?

youtube.com/watch?v=FvMATHmQTZk

What kind of retard are they trying to catch with these obvious bait?

No criminal can be this stupid

>mfw real pedos communicate in allegory on public message services
>"to install gentoo", "I'd like to interject", "handheld PCs" are not what you think they mean

either this or , or a mix of both
in any case, I've talked to one of the tox devs, and he was shady af, so I woulldn't touch Tox

Tox is still alive? I thought it got shut down like 5 years ago when everyone it's only used for CP.

Attached: Doremi.HeartCatch.PreCure.18.1280x720.38A935C6.mkv_snapshot_12.43_2018.02.08_14.20.49.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

Christ what a fucking joke. It is so obvious it was turned into an FBI honeypot right off the bat, it never even stood a chance.

Snowdash shounds like a fine guy next to those.

newfag here, never heard of tox, whatis?

It's like a shitty version of skype made for pedophiles.

oh lol

Well at least it works

Not who you are replying to but...the code was forked by toktok or smth on github, new version has been released recently so its alive it seems