>ease of use

Attached: distross.png (768x416, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fedoraproject.org/wiki/AutoUpdates
askubuntu.com/questions/1006621/2-15-18-compiz-update-broke-unity
wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Slackware.
Pros: writing a package is so goddamn easy.

gentoo on desktop (basically just fell for the meme and kinda enjoy it)

parabola on thinkpad which is very secure and freedom respecting, and based on arch so not going to start talking about ease of use but would recommend

Fedora
>Pros:
Wide selection of desktop environments, and you can switch between them at will.
Balances cutting edge with user friendliness.
SELinux enabled by default. The management tools aren't installed by default, but they're easy to get.
Decent support for anything you might want to do. Whether you're coding, browsing, playing games, or making art, Fedora has programs for it.

>Neutral:
Uses systemd. Most denizens of Jow Forums will hate on it, but as a system admin, I call it a necessary evil.

>Cons:
Updates are released rather frequently, and your system will pester you about them. Thankfully, updates can be automated with dnf-cron.

>Overall:
Fedora attempts to be reasonably good across the board instead of focusing on any one aspect. As a result, it's good for system admins and intermediate Linux users, but less suited for complete beginners.

>but less suited for complete beginners.
any recommendations for a beginner to Linux?
(current Windows user)

nixos
Pros: nix manages your whole system, shitton of expressions (packages) and if there isn't one, writing an expression is usually as easy as copying github url
Cons: sometimes (rarely) you have to write more elaborate expressions to make packages from other package managers work (ocaml's cohttp from opam for example, to support SSL&TLS)

Read the fucking wiki
Pros: you look like less of a retard
Cons: you don't get five other morons restating what the wiki says

Lubuntu Openbox on Laptop.

Very very lightweight
highly Customizable
Terminal commands are easy to learn
it just werks

go with mint kde and you wont regret

Ubuntu

Pros: Shitload of software, just werks, reasonably secure because it's not run by teenager jerkoff unpaid amateurs

Cons: won't impress fat sysadmins

Arch:

Pros: yuuuge e-peen

Cons: autism Garba

Xubuntu
pros: lightweight, highly customizable, shit ton of packages, debloated
cons: shit gui settings

Basicly Void Linux

I personally use Ubuntu Mate
>Pros
Stable, looks good, runs great on my 10 year old and 16 year old pcs
>Cons
Still on Xorg and some packages like OpenSSL are outdated

>Read the fucking wiki
what wiki?

I use Arch
>pros: It gets you mad Jow Forums respect
>cons: I have autism

what's so hard about Arch?
if every issue can be answered by the community

no doubt it'd take a while to get used to
but it can't be that complex

Fedora.
>Pros
Very stable
Very up to date
Easy for beginners
Comes with an attractive DE that you can customize, or you can easily switch to KDE, LXDE, i3, etc
Good package manager
Only free packages in the official repo, and you can add extra repos
Made by a company that has contributed more to Linux than pretty much any other
Popular so you can always find an .rpm

>cons
Systemd is huge and hard to audit
Dnf is slow
Release schedule is pretty quick, so you lose support for older versions quickly
Gnome is missing features on stock and is poorly optimized

Suitable for gayming?

>dnf-cron
Never heard of that, what is it?

I want to install gentoo but I'm too much of a brainlet

Attached: N_Vs09bt.jpg (453x453, 32K)

Old version of dnf-automatic. Use dnf-automatic.

fedoraproject.org/wiki/AutoUpdates

Mint xfce

Pro: Brainlet-tier easy, reliable as fuck and nice out of the box theming
Con: Partly ancient packages in the repros, dumb default update settings.

All you need to do is follow the handbook & display average degree of intelligence while you do it.

Thanks!

Install Sabayon

Manjaro

Pros: Keeps my shit updated. Everything almost in last version.
Can go minimal very easy without pining packages
Sane full system update.

Cons: It's not Ubuntu

It definitely has support for steam. I've got it installed on my laptop, which has enough power for side scrollers.

I'll list the ones I have used.
>Gentoo
>pros
openrc
easy to enable non-default compile time features, like the JACK backend of Firefox or wine-d3d9
easy to apply patches to system software
supports having multiple versions of software installed, for some programs, such as GCC and WINE.
partial upgrades are supported
extreme minimalism is possible if you want it (supports musl, busybox, x32, etc.)
optional SELinux support
a lot of available overlays
you can create a fully libre system pretty easily
>cons
compiling can take a lot of time
changing use flags requires a recompile. probably the most ridiculous example is recompiling chromium for widevine
I've run into a few bugs in package recipes. they're usually easy to fix, but it's irritating to have a build fail.
its pretty easy to make your system unstable with CFLAGS

>Arch
>pros
very fast and easy to install if you're at all familiar with linux
everything is reasonably stable. I think I've had one update fail in the year that I used Arch, and that was trivial to fix.
the base repository has most of the software I've ever wanted
AUR is pretty good
>cons
you're stuck with systemd, glibc and gnu coreutils
only one version of GCC, so good luck compiling software that doesn't build on bleeding edge GCC
bleeding edge software isn't very bug free. I've run into some really broken packages

>debian
>pros
libre by default
extremely stable
the repos have basically any software you could ever want
>cons
systemd, glibc and gnu corutils are mandatory
package recipes do way too much. installing a DE gives you a ton of unnecessary software, and installing openssh server actually adds sshd to startup.
everything is patched, so info from the arch wiki might not be correct for debian
everything is really out of date because it's so stable
I've tried upgrading to testing before and it often leaves the system in a state where it won't even boot anymore

>devuan
>pros
basically debian without systemd
>cons
some software is missing

Manjaro

Pros: Simple, simple update, simple everything and fits my simple needs.

Cons: Everyone hates it. I need to be more simple cuz it's all bloat shit apparently.

To be fair the devs where retarded when they let those SSL certificates expire.

I agree though, Manjaro is fine.

Don't follow his advice, mint is shint.

xubuntu
pros: not autistic
cons: screen tearing REEEEEEEEEE

Don't listen to this guy. Mint is fine.

>not autistic
but wait, there's more!
askubuntu.com/questions/1006621/2-15-18-compiz-update-broke-unity

Debian unstable
pros:
tons of packages
a lot more up to date than the stable release
takes "libre" seriously if you're into that

cons:
minor errors and bugs in the unstable updates
sometimes debian difficult to install depending on how proprietary your hardware is. By default no proprietary software is included at install time which can cause issues.

OpenBSD

Pros: highly secure, well-integrated and polished system (it's not a hack job where everything constantly breaks), good documentation (AFAIK it's the only open source project where even the documentation changes go through peer review)

Cons: limited drivers. Old-school file system that requires fsck(), no TRIM support. Tends to lag behind other systems for support of new technologies. Performance is not that good.

>
>go with mint kde and you wont regret
This if you don't want to learn about the system and just want everything to be automated like windows.

Unity not even once.

I loved unity

>package manager uninstalls unity
>blame unity
typical ubuntu user

KDE Neon
Pros
>Stable Ubuntu base
>Bleeding-edge KDE - it gets DE updates before anything else
>On that note - best DE

Cons
>Ubuntu 16.04 is the base and not 17.10, hopefully the next LTS release will see that become current

I want to transition from Windows to Linux. Games are the only software I use that may cause issues. Is there a distro that will handle games as well as Ubuntu does? 1080 Ti, if that matters, and I don't mind using non-free drivers.

It's all the same shit, who cares?

>Is there a distro that will handle games as well as Ubuntu does?
Ubuntu 16.04 has an ancient version of WINE, so expect windows games to run abysmally.
As far as Steam games go, that's only dependent on your Nvidia drivers, since Steam bundles libraries, so just about every distro will be the same.

They bundle everything? Excellent, I wasn't aware of that. Debian stable it is then.

they only support ubuntu 12.03, so they are forced to bundle libraries.

It's not. You are completely right as there is a guide or a forum post for almost every issue unless you are dealing with something completely esoteric. In fact, Arch is one of the easiest distros because of the wiki + forums

Source Mage GNU/Linux
>pros
Extremely granular control over packages, dependencies and features are all optional
Extremely minimal, base system is less than 80 packages or something, pretty much LFS with a package manager
Total control over the packages themselves, their version of ports is like an uber ports system
Packages are straight from developers, is bleeding edge like no other
You can make more packages with quill
Easy to use even if you didnt cross by gentoo or arch

>cons
You have to compile everything, takes time
The first time you install anything you need to answer a series of questions, you soon realize how bloated modern computing is and feel guilty if you just push the enter key with some extra feature
Not many packages in repo
Being totally bleeding edge means that your packages break if upstream developer do as little as to change source code location or add an extra dependency it didnt require before

The official wine PPA for Ubuntu is up-to-date, user.
wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

you can compile WINE from source on just about any distro in 20 minutes. Having a 3rd party providing builds doesn't excuse Ubuntu from having ridiculously old versions of WINE in their repos.

Arch = minimalism
Gentoo = maximalism
Debian = normie
Fedora = normie (use CentOS instead)
OpenSuSE = normie
Mint = beginners
Ubuntu = beginners
FreeBSD = i hate systemd and need zfs for some reason

>systemd + gnu coreutils + glibc = minimalism
>maximum customizability, allowing openrc + busybox + musl, is maximalism
>libre distro, where a lot of wifi chipsets require firmware from the nonfree repo, is normie
you've never used any of these distros, have you?

Every single one sweetie.

oh I get it. here's your (you)

Use anything, install PlayOnLinux, install proprietary drivers. You can install windows software through PlayOnLinux, just make sure you add the latest WINE on it.

>playonlinux
I've tried using this and it's more of a hassle than just using wine directly. I'd recommend trying wine-staging and, if you're not using Nvidia, wine-d3d9 if you're looking for a better experience with it.
>install proprietary drivers
Only Nvidia's proprietary drivers are an improvement, these days. Look at the benchmarks Phoronix did.
I'm not even sure AMD actually has proprietary drivers anymore; I thought they had a proprietary libGL or something like that.

How is it a hassle if it's easier to use? It's literally a frontend to WINE which works more often than WINE does.
>Only Nvidia's proprietary drivers are an improvement
He said he has an nVidia card, keep up.

>I've tried using this and it's more of a hassle than just using wine directly
this
PoL adds another step to a frequently tricky piece of software, but it isn't an elegant step. It just adds another layer you need to worry about.

>How is it a hassle if it's easier to use?
when I'm just directly using wine, I just grab the executable and run it. When I was using playonlinux, it wanted me to install all my games through playonlinux for some reason. It was particularly annoying with steam games, since it seemed to want me to create a new steam installation for playonlinux.

Slackware
Been using it since 1999. You install it and everything just works. Dependency resolving is barely needed because you can just install the entire DVD and upgrade everything a once. Also, thanks to sbopkg you can now find almost anything else you need without git or manually downloading source code.

I tried out slackware and there was a lot of software that I had to install outside of the standard repos. there's the slackpkg website, but that's not officially supported software.

>using wine straigt
>click on the .exe, done

>using playonlinux
>have to install it via playonlinux
>can't use ntfs file systems

What I do like is how easily you can change the wine version of PoL though.

I'd go with Debian stable and LXDE in a separate partition tho

Fedora is more for laptops IMO specially newer hardware since some installers will not even boot (cuz the old kernel)

Debian kernel in the other hand is stable af, IMO the best choice for graphical use

>What I do like is how easily you can change the wine version of PoL though
on Gentoo, you can have multiple installs of wine and switch between them with a single bash command. It's a global switch and not per-package though.

>LXDE
both XFCE and MATE provide a much better experience than LXDE and only use a fairly minor amount of extra ram (~50MiB).

Is nixos any type of minimal?

Debian Testing
Pros:
>minimal as fuck (4 gb install size with lxde)
>large software repos
>options to pull from unstable when necessary
Cons:
>installing outside of the repos can be retarded
>sometimes apt metapackages pull extra packages that arent necessary (trying to switch away from using a DE cause that is the primary cause, and network manager)

>install/open something through wine
>can't alt+tab out of software
>have to worry about configuring shit through the terminal if anything goes wrong
>can't have multiple wine versions

fpbp

Have a (You) for your work

Attached: 1512244956319.png (660x868, 906K)

What about SteamOS?
Compared to debian

Attached: g_-_-x-_-_-_x20131214123340_0.jpg (1279x853, 52K)

Isn't it just better to set up a minimal Debian to run Steam in Big Picture mode at startup? (Plus necessary drivers, etc ofc)