Security

How much security do I really need Jow Forums ?

isn't using Linux, a VPN, Firefox and Startpage enough?
cus some of you on here have been telling me to make my own modems, etc etc

Attached: hax.jpg (800x533, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/SECURITY.md
github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Security from whom, what's your threat model?
In the mean time just encrypt all your shit, the more you learn the more you realise how fucked we all are.

Honnestly this depends on who you are / what your activities are.
If you're just the average normie going on facebook and youtube (well you're screwed by them already) you already got a pretty decend security !

>Security from whom, what's your threat model?
I'd just like to:
>search / browse
>torrent
>text / call / etc
anonymously and securely

>the more you learn the more you realise how fucked we all are
where do I start user?
so far all I know is that Windows and Google are botnets

~bumping b4 shower
I'll drop links for some reading when I get back. Although, I can't tell if bait or newfag..

>text /call
Fuck that, trash your phone lel

Actually, this is wrong. The average normie willfully puts information around the web and is susceptible to blackmail. The only saving grace for them is that their data is only really valuable in bulk, so they're rarely individually targeted.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518329282588.png (333x365, 192K)

That truly is a rare RMS (you) have there sir, thank you for sharing

bump

Hello user I am verified Microsoft Support Technician Level 8 and I am calling to inform you of a detected security event on you compoter system. Now you are to listen to me and push windows key and R key so we can connect and provide you with thew security support.

Attached: mst.jpg (345x345, 11K)

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/SECURITY.md

>isn't using Linux, a VPN, Firefox and Startpage enough?
Enough for what?

Security depends on what you're doing.

Anything that needs to be truly secure should never even touch a networked machine.

OP you also want to think about blending in. If you use a vpn and tor for.literally everything you will be put on a list for sure. You should use nothing for just casual browsing, a vpn for stuff you want private as well as for torrents, and if you want to use tor at all you want to use it for a consistent amount of time each month.

>If you use a vpn and tor for.literally everything you will be put on a list for sure
wouldn't it be more sketchy if I only used vpn / tor with messaging services?

and not planning on using tor anyway, just a VPN

What VPN would Jow Forums suggest? Is Tor better than using a VPN?

Streisand.
github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand

Nord is on sale right now.

NordVPN is on sale

you're a complete moron using a VPN hosted by anyone than yourself.

this

Please do inform on how you operate a physical server overseas.