Needs a phone number

>needs a phone number
>server not open source
>can't call more than 1 person at a time
>electron desktop client
>Jow Forums made Tox and it went nowhere

If this is the height of secure messaging right now, we are fucked.

Attached: Signal_Blue_Icon.png (1024x1024, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page
github.com/signalapp/Signal-Server
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Ratchet_Algorithm
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text
ring.cx
securemessagingapps.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Look into matrix and Riot.im

why do these all retarded communicators need a phone number?

because it's ubiquitous unique identifier and you already remember it so its convenient for developers and most users

convenience

they use your phone number as your user ID
normalfags can't even be bothered making accounts anymore, we are really that deep, if shit doesn't werk instantly, it may as well not work at all

They don't. Pic related is the right choice for anyone interested in save and anonymous messaging. You can host your own server or create a free account on any public server. It has everything but a big company willing to shill for it

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

>no calling

no thanks

>he is not afraid of calling

server is open source

>calling
>in a messenger
This is not a telephony service and doesn't aim to be one. It's a messenger, the hell do you expect? What if I tell you that it can't give you a blowjob, is that a no-no too?

fuck electron

This. Literally every cock.li email has access to XMPP. Don't see why you wouldn't use it.

> b-but muh calling

Look im fucking busy, if I need someone I call or if that's not possible email

Actually, you can make calls and video conferences with the jingle xmpp extension. Alternatively, there's a client called jitsi that supports the same standard without the messaging

I always thought it's three things:
a) they want your data, naturally
b) preventing registrations of millions of bots (confirmation that it's most likely a human being, and ID is required in some countries anyway)
c) convenience to immediately link you to your entire existing contact list in the app, which increases retention rate hundredfold and helps in signing up others, too

Needless to say, I hate it and that's the biggest gripe I have with an otherwise great Telegram - even though it's banned in Russia starting today.

Now that Riot is starting to implement stickers - laugh all you want, it's important - I'm considering to switch or even host a server myself. Good old Jabber times.

>posting on Jow Forums
>busy

user.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Darling in the FranXX - 08 [1080p].mkv_00_11_02.161.jpg (1920x1080, 181K)

>being afraid to call

>talking to random 4channers

nigger i need to call people i know, not sit with randomers on an xmpp client

So they can identify you when they sell your data to third parties.

>implying you have any friends
>implying you don't just roleplay to justify your shitty choices
xmpp is the only sane option in the modern world

Having friends is why XMPP is not a good choice. Do you understand now, shutin?

The answer is always in these posts but for whatever reason everybody ignores it. Xmpp was the answer ten years ago but it never took off as much as it should have.

It is 2018. Matrix is the answer. Stop being idiots.

The biggest problem is that literally nobody is using it. If even 2-3 people I know were interested, I'd jump ship immediately and even optionally host a server. Matrix is essentially a modern XMPP, which is why it's good.

But nah, it's always discord and telegram.

>Matrix is the answer.

did you see the riot.im privacy policy?

I host my own synapse server, vector or whatever the company is doesn't have any of my information. Also e2e rooms

Set up a server and create accounts for your friends and family. As you see them, set it up for them.

Otherwise you can use it to talk to people over slack, irc, and even SMS (without giving riot your phone number)

Once sticker support properly lands - it's technically there but still unusable - I'm pretty sure I'll be able to attract a lot of my friends, at least. With family it's skype and whatsapp/viber because they're old and can't or can't be bothered to use something else at this point.

Funny how stickers became so important thanks to LINE (by having them in the first place) and Telegram (by having them free and customizable).

> mfw finally get around to messing with XMPP
> install Prosody on Raspberry Pi (first model)
> runs with no sweat along with Pi-hole
> geniunely amazed and totally hyped abolut the low resources it consumes
> set up Conversations ,Gajim hell, even Pidgin with OTR just to test it out.
> Set up a solid config with 4096 cert (self signed, i admit but hey -testing), hashed authentication, forced encryption
> Realize most clients arent compatible with OMEMO yet
> irssi which i wanted to use personally is not compatible with OMEMO either
> profanity is, but syncing to other devices is unstable. not 100% sure it's the clients fault, tho
> screen record how to set up an account on both Gajim, Conversations and Pidgin for friends to use.
> the few friends I actually have just wanna stick with Wire which I honestly have no arguments against - other than the app not being on f-droid

It's not fair Jow Forumsoys

Attached: sadtux.jpg (291x343, 17K)

If I want to set up my own Synapse server, do I have no choice but to pay one of the SSL providers if I want things to work smoothly? Or will stuff like Let's Encrypt be fine enough? Really not too enthusiastic about spending more on SSL than on hosting costs.

Wire is not federated, is it?

Let's encrypt is perfectly fine for your usecase

Use Wire.
It addresse all and every of your complaints.

Attached: Screenshot_20180413-234845.png (1920x1080, 182K)

>What if I tell you that it can't give you a blowjob, is that a no-no too
If there were alternatives that did, then definitely.

Why do you need your communications hidden from law enforcement?

user we have records that show you have been posting on a known hate speech website...

What if that alternatives records it and stores it for how knows how long on some unknown place

Records my blowjob?

Wire encrypts the calls too.

mumble self-hosted mustard race reporting in
wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

No. It wouldn't last a second on Jow Forums if it was

Wait, I thought Riot had e2e?

So they say

>Not using PGP with carrier pigeons carrying optical media.

Your bare minimum should be something using Axolotl/Double Ratchet Algorithm

Signal: Axolotl/SignalProtocol
Wire: Proteus
XMPP: OMEMO
Matrix: OLM
Silent Phone: Zina
Viber: maybe something similar?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Ratchet_Algorithm

>Skype
>WhatsApp

Attached: Screenshot_20180416-215553.png (1080x1920, 230K)

>>needs a phone number
normie friendly
>>server not open source
wrong
>>can't call more than 1 person at a time
unnecessary
>>electron desktop client
true
>>Jow Forums made Tox and it went nowhere
what did you expect ?

Attached: signal.jpg (2048x2048, 527K)

iMessage doesn't have this problem

iMessage isn't a double ratchet AFAIK
iMessage has closed source server AND client
iMessage uses email OR phone number as identity

There's also ring.cx but it doesn't claim to support double ratchet yet.

>normie friendly
Wire has phone number, but it's optional.
Way better IMO.

Wire keeps metadata

Which one?

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text

You forgot that part where they lick Whatsapp and Skype's balls.

more like the other way around: OWS got paid to help implement their protocol.

Nicknames are no concern

>server not open source

Use Wire or Telegram

>java

Attached: poo (4).jpg (212x174, 17K)

Riot.im and Wire don't need a phone number, in fact, Riot.im doesn't even need an email.

>did you see the privacy policy of this 3rd party client which is just a beta test of the matrix protocol
Sure? Nothing wrong in it. You can always host your own server.

>telegram
Absolute shit.

Attached: Comparison of IMs.png (827x560, 104K)

how come no one is talking about briar. it's supposed to be like a mesh network.

because its unused, unproven, and unaudited.

Tox is the best protocol but everyone ignores it

because it sucks

See:

>server not open source

why do people post FUD who aren't paid to post FUD?

the normie friendly part isn't about the ability to use a phone number, it's that you can very easily install and get yourself set up on a new phone without any effort.

I spent months trying to get friends and family to use various decentralized services, with no success. Within weeks I had 80% of my frequent contacts to Signal

>I spent months trying to get friends and family to use various decentralized services, with no success. Within weeks I had 80% of my frequent contacts to Signal

yep, that's why it works.

ring.cx

Matrix is far superior as it's also federated and has a lot more features.
> >server not open source
I'm not a huge fan of Signal, but this is bullshit. github.com/signalapp/Signal-Server

source of image?

I just sits he'd ditched all other platforms, friends and family where on conversations in no time, you're just searching for excuses for your shitty choices

and for this reason it's brilliant for connecting your records across thousands of databases. same with email. there's a reason why there are no dupe phone numbers and/or emails.

So what's the problem with using the same system? xmpp uses exactly that, the idebtifiers look like email addresses.

For normies it's basically between telegram and WhatsApp since that's what most people actually use. Might as well just use telegram with it's shit encryption instead of Facebook's WhatsApp

This

First time I hear about Threema, can some daily user shill me about it ?
Any gainz to jump from Signal ?

the phone number is to prevent a botnet from making billions of fake spam accounts

No.
>not open source
>app not free

How would the Riot column change if I only use the client, but run it through my own Synapse server instance?

Wire seems pretty good, but without federation I can't really consider using it. Ideally I'd love a federated encrypted by default service, but still somehow with cloud-backed history, and it seems like a pipe dream - I mean I could write one, but I'm not a team of security experts so it wouldn't pass any sort of scrutiny.

Various reasons.
For one thing Signal works like iMessage, so it will SMS people who aren't on Signal and data message people who are. There obviously needs to be a link between the two modes and that link is your phone number.

Wire requires number.

It's really a pity no one uses SMS anymore. I like Signal but there's no one to message on it. Everyone is using something else.

Attached: 1523800174094.png (1067x800, 1.02M)

> Matrix is the answer.
As soon as someone makes a good client. Right now it's either Electron bloatware or half-featured summer projects in early alpha.

>Wire requires number.

Nope. It also does email.

>infrastructure jurisdiction
My complaint is that it has infrastructure in the first place. How does it address that?

I actually don't - I just need them hidden from everyone else. Unfortunately, it's unfeasible to only reveal stuff to law enforcement and no-one else.

How? Literally the only missing feature is device sync. That can be worked around using groups. Sure it's not normie friendly but even on Jow Forums people talk about setting up Discords and shit when Tox exists.

Holy shit thanks user, this actually looks better than Tox

Install it on your phone it asks for your number with no option to go around it.

Go on the web version

Law enforcement in the country I live in likes to label people who don't like the current government as terrorists based on even supposedly secret conversations.

I mean the probability is very very low unless you're a well-known activist, but people get sent to jail regularly enough to be worried.

From what I heard about murrika, law enforcement over there is too trigger-happy to feel safe about trusting it with anything, too.

>requires email
Shit, at least require something that's less personal than phone number.

XMPP with encryption is a better standard anyway.

Like what?

First borns blood sacrifice should be sufficient.

>the normie friendly part isn't about the ability to use a phone number, it's that you can very easily install and get yourself set up on a new phone without any effort.
That's wire for you.
Phone number by default, encryption for everything out of the box and so on.

Only problem is you have to manually confirm security fingerprints if you want to be notified when they change.

securemessagingapps.com
>Wire requires number.
It does not. I've only added mine a while ago. Used only email before that.

>less personal than phone number.
10minutemail.com

Completely outdated btw

wtf do you mean tox works fine