/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/ (currently not working, possibly indefinitely)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: 1429438175175.jpg (2894x2183, 2.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rabcyr/libreboot/tree/master/docs/security
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
aliexpress.com/item/MLLSE-renovation-Used-original-For-Thinkpad-X200-X200S-X201-X201i-X201S-Laptop-keyboard-Japan-layout-Free/32841228809.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do you guys think about the E series?
Thinking of getting an E480

they're okay, not everyone think that tho
i have a E531, 5yo and still doing well

I AM IN SEARCH OF THE COMFIEST THINKPAD
LEND ME YOUR HAND

wait for E485/E585 that are comming soon then

It's probably the X220 Tablet.

>region sux for refurbish/used thinkpad
>looking for gaming laptop, all cost a bomb and flimsy plastic
>found T480, dGPU for light gaming
>20% discount
upgraded from ideapad, thinkpad meme is lit

thinking of getting a refurbished x1 carbon from 2014. is this a good machine? im probably going to put linux on it

would you an already modded T430/X230 (classic keyboard) or an already modded T440p (physical trackpad buttons)?

To me, it's inferior in every single way to a T440p and even to a T440
You can get or upgrade way more on those

Attached: 1515339039397.jpg (480x477, 16K)

Anyone know where the date and time setting is on the updated X220 BIOS?

at the moment I have an HP Elitebook 2540p, it's 12" and 16:10.

Thinking of buying a T420 or T430 instead because of USB 3.0 and more graphics power.

What do you think?

Attached: file.png (813x640, 410K)

T450s is the best slim option that lenovo has pushed out in years, make sure for 1080p panel (has 101 percent srgb coverage)

just wanted to say thanks to you all for the support, joined the thinkpad masterrace about ten months ago, confirmed for not just a meme

Posted From My Lenovo Thinkpad T420

for me it's the x200 + 1(intel me)

Attached: x201.jpg (3024x4032, 1.44M)

Oh, hi fumogirl.

Attached: 6811be21719a17331c1b06765c9ad8fb--collection-meme.jpg (736x736, 34K)

i did see the t440p. it comes with an i5 whereas the carbon is an i7. do you have any idea about the battery life and weight of the two laptops? i went from a macbook to an alienware 15r3 which i sent back. i realised the portability of the laptop is a massive thing for me. what sort of upgrades can you make to the t440p?

>buy T470
>6 months later battery is down to 80% capacity
>send email to lenovo
>no response
>new battery in mail next day
thanksLenovo

Does everyone keep their thinkpads clean or do they add stickers and stuff to them?

It seems like everyone has this fascination with keeping the original stickers on their laptops without any customization.

Does anybody know if there's an updated version of these?
github.com/rabcyr/libreboot/tree/master/docs/security
The tinfoil guides on libreboot's site are MIA

Definitely not newer than xx20 series unless you want to mess with the keyboard mod, in which case xx30 is acceptable.
If you care about the free software meme try X200 and libreboot it. I have one, it's pretty comfy. X60 is easier to libreboot but pretty old at this point.
If you don't care much for librebooting try X220 (including tablet) and T420 depending on what size you need.

E series is an okay laptop, it's just not a good thinkpad.

>keeping the original stickers on their laptops
fuck no. Removing the windows and intel stickers is the first thing I do.

i don't agree, it's not as good as other thinkpads, but it's still thinkpad quality

>this fascination
Wat a timely post. The Intelinside stkr came off my t440p last night. Constant battle against force and dirty sweat of my left inner wrist and it called it quits. FUGG
>mfw
Now my ocpd taketh over. Keep that chit clean n streamlined user.

Attached: y_dafuq_disshit_gotta_happenz.jpg (516x327, 73K)

terrible post

>but it's still thinkpad quality
Absolutely not
I could easily beat a gang of rabid speedfreaks to death with my T61 and still expect it to work
Meanwhile my E531 has had its chassis broken in 2-3 places and the cover for the dvd-rom has fallen off after 4-5 years of normal use (including a lot of traveling around)
Lots of horsepower for the money though.

terrible poster

>i did see the t440p. it comes with an i5 whereas the carbon is an i7.
it seems you didn't see shit, not even the thinkwiki.
The T440p can feature i3, i5 and i7. M and MQ series are the default ones. The X1 Carbon Second Gen features U series processors only. An average i5 M outperforms an i7 U in benchmarks.
Moreover, the CPU is socketed and can be upgraded. So, a T440p can be bought with an i3 and upgraded with an i7.
>do you have any idea about the battery life and weight of the two laptops?
The T440p weight 700 grams more. Wew.
The T440 is a little slimmer, albeit not as much as upgradable. Not that it seems you care, since you're a consumerist whore given that
>i went from a macbook to an alienware
a fucking alienware, wow. Not something to brag about in public to be honest
>portability
drop 700 grams from your tits and you'll be more portable as well
>what sort of upgrades can you make to the t440p?
Literally everything, minus the "Classic keyboard" mod (but you can use the T450 trackpad)

>Meanwhile my E531 has had its chassis broken in 2-3 places and the cover for the dvd-rom has fallen off after 4-5 years of normal use
just HOW i carry my E531 alsmost dayly in a shitty backpack for like five years and it's still perfectly fine
i agree it's not as sturdy as an old T series, but still

Yeah, and then I replace them with Rzyen and Vega stickers.

You don't put stickers on a Ferrari
Stickers are like tattoos, they are never really good, they just either disguise a defect or mark you as a whore
I remove every single sticker from any black brick I own, I re-attach some if I resell them (people fell like that an "intel inside" or a "windows certified" sticker actually means something when buying an used machine it seems)

Any tips to clean the speaker grilles of my W520? I bought it recently and it's the only thing I didn't manage to clean properly. I tried with a wet cloth and also with tape already.

Attached: IMG_6121-1.jpg (1500x1000, 751K)

My 90w20v t420 ac adapter died lads
What does a guy in Montenegro do to get his hands on one under 100 euros?

Attached: photo_2017-03-19_18-33-09.jpg (1280x720, 156K)

If you had an air compressor, I think that'd be good.

tpacpi_bat?

Ok, so anything more I should install for a t440p on linux aside tlp?

>these stickers
if you focus too much on hating what you don't like instead of loving what you like, you'll never trully be free
even weebs with their anime stickers are more free than you
it's not all about software

So...

Can you give me one good reason why buy Thinkpad if you're not poor?

>be not poor
>spend 4x more than necessary
>now you are poor
huh, I wonder

business grade quality laptop
sturdyness, great durability
best keyboard
first things that came to mind, there's many more

I have never seen a thinkpad without a COA sticker.

Don't reply to my posts.
>business grade quality
Is this what we call now underpowered hardware with garbage display?
>sturdyness, great durability
Why would I want that? It looks like an ugly brick and it's fucking old.
If my laptop breaks I just bring it to the store and buy a new one with better specs.
>best keyboard
I'm sorry, what?

>Old keyboard swap on *30 series
I've been eyeing a T430 for Arch Linux. What's this point about? Is it just a recommendation to put a T420 keyboard on it? For what purpose?

perhaps you're right and thinkpads arn't for you
you've made your mind and can now go on with your life

If the ThinkPad doesn't appeal to you just don't buy them, easy.

Totally depends on what layout you'd like. The x20 is objectively better

Ah I see, yeah the T420 keyboard does look a lot nicer. Is it just a straight drop-in replacement?

No, it's actually a bit of a pain. You need to update the bios with a custom patch (thinkpad-ec I think it was called) and cut down some bits in the palmrest. I did it on my T530. I think there was a guide somewhere on how to do that in various xx30 models.

Meh, you need to file down a couple of nubs (check the wiki) and then flash this github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec to make (most) of the keys work

That's pretty straightforward, thanks.

Does anyone elses expresscard get hot? I bought a cheap usb3.0 one for my x200 and I'm a little worried that if I leave it in for long enough it'll catch fire.

I was the guy in the last thread asking about my fucked up pointer. Basically, the pointer will periodically freeze on the screen on my X230, on both Ubuntu and Windows (in this case it came with BSODs). I've noticed that the trackpad shits the bed way more than the trackpoint, so I'm thinking the trackpad is the bigger factor.

I took another peek inside today and noticed the connector to the palmrest, pic related. One branch of the ribbon goes to the fingerprint reader, the other to the trackpad. The branch to the trackpad looks like it's been cut just a bit over one of the wires, though it might be a little hard to make out in the photo. Might this be related at all to my issue?

Attached: shitpad.jpg (2129x1806, 1.63M)

I'd like to buy an x220 (any flavor) from Europe. Do you think I might be able to stay under 100 euros? Lets say an i5 with HDD...

Any particular advice?

asked this in last thread but didn't get a complete answer. My friend is selling a T420s for $100 CAD (like $75 USD), pretty good condition but I haven't thoroughly inspected it, should I buy it? (It would be my first thinkpad and I've been wanting to get one for a while, just wondering if it's a good choice)

I'm torn between X220/230 and T420/430. I prefer the xx20 keyboards, so for simplicities sake I could go for that rather than having to replace. I never use optical drive. My usage is typically Arch linux with i3 and qutebrowser. I do a bit of C and Bash and I'm studying for OSCP.
The X220 seems like a good choice for the portability, and I don't need discrete graphics, but the overall spec of T430 are more alluring.
Thoughts?

I have E570 with NVMe SSD, thought they are great but didn't realize what I was missing until I got myself P71 fully loaded. There is no comparison.

>Do you think I might be able to stay under 100 euros?

Man that would be great, wouldn't it.

I'm trying to use Openbox on my Thinkpad T20 (it's got 2nd gen Intel integrated graphics) for the first time and I'm having trouble with compositing. I was having major screen tearing at first, which I attempted to resolve with Compton. I'm using the glx backend and the opengl option for vsync, which fixes my vsync problems, but now when I watch certain videos in MPV (especially ones with higher bitrates) the video will freeze while the audio continues to play. Resizing the window, or maximizing, or un-maximizing, causes the video to properly play back again. Can any other anons with a similar setup share their configurations or any tips on how best to handle compositing for a non-compositing window manager?

So I guess it is a no, right? I'm a n00b so I'm trying to understand how much I have to invest

Definitely possible.

Just look on ebay? Refurb X220 in UK start around 160.

Yeah been watching ebay for a while, but sometimes sellers just drop huge prices.

I don't think it's possible to stay under 100€ unless you find a nice ebay deal. Then again, maybe it's different in your country? You can be lucky here (Germany) if you find a used x220 for under 150€.

Also auctions will typically end lower than BIN so consider that.

>but the overall spec of T430 are more alluring
It's an old fucking laptop, if you want performance then buy something newer.

Solid point. Going for the X220.

Got two 256gb ssd coming in for my x220t.

I was gonna install win 10 ltsb on one, and then arch on the other.
Does that sound good?

Were do I store my reaction images though?

Attached: sandisk_sdsdunc_064g_gn6in_ultra_sd_64gb_card_80mb_s_1185200.jpg (2500x2500, 409K)

That's what I was thinking, thanks.

I think i'm overestimating how powerful my new laptop needs to be. i was thinking about getting the new X1 from costco for $1600. 16gb, new i7 8550u and 512gb ssd
I found out my work computer (which is great) has 16gbs but uses an old i5. a coworker, who uses his thinkpad for some serious stuff, has an e series that he got for around 1k new.

should i go for something cheaper? the thing about the X1 is it doesn't have a dGPU so i can't use tensorflow with it. the t480 that i'm looking at does. for an i5 8350u, 16gbs of ram, 500gb hdd, I can save around $250. plus i can upgrade the components if i wanted to
i've also had the same laptop for a few years now (2012 inspiron) and the t480 would already be a significant upgrade over that. X1 is starting to seem like overkill
i'm a student doing data science stuff and application development

what do you guys think

the delet, pos1 etc keys on my x220 sound and feel very "metally". The other keys are fine tho. Any fix to that ?

just got my III today now i have to find an 1.8 inch drive

Who else wants to see their waifu pee on their Thinkpads keyboard?

Attached: download.jpg (222x227, 9K)

Hi guys, I am tired of soldiered in components in laptops.
I don't need super thin form factor, I want a machine that is easy to repair and update with new components just like my desktop pc.
Nice keyboard and screen also would be nice.

Recommend me something pls, it doesn't need to be a Thinkpad.

Attached: 1504283954753.jpg (920x922, 91K)

urine is acidic and will corrode the contacts inside the keyboard

I totally forgot that my T420 even had an SD slot

T420 with the default screen panel swapped for a better one. There's an Alienware model that's compatible, there are several other options as well.

i bought jap keyboard for t430, it's gonna match my x201 now. now i need one fore my x220.

Attached: IMG_0141.jpg (4032x3024, 1.66M)

Where do you get them? I'm in the UK. Is the Jap layout same as US layout but with some kana printed on the keys?

Brainlet here, how tlp's recalibration works? do I have to charge my battery to 100% and then run the command and wait till it gets completely discharged to finish the recalibration? My battery is going crazy sometimes so I think recalibrating it will give me better and more accurate results in the % of the battery monitor.

on ebay and aliexpress.
it almost the same layout as the us keyboard. some keys are moved around. small spacebar and small backspace

Attached: New-Laptop-keyboard-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-T420-X220-W510-W520-T510-T520-T400s-X220t-X220i.jpg_640 (640x358, 78K)

jp kb for x201 is a bitch to find so ima get hebrew

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 408K)

I fucking love the jap layout, I'm not even a weeb

You'd be right at home with the layout, it's just some extra keys to map to whatever you want

Fucking disgusting

Attached: cuties.png (1200x790, 1.8M)

>I'm not even a weeb
You're a liar is what you are

it's not that hard to find.
aliexpress.com/item/MLLSE-renovation-Used-original-For-Thinkpad-X200-X200S-X201-X201i-X201S-Laptop-keyboard-Japan-layout-Free/32841228809.html
i was thinking of getting a chinese keyboard or hebrew one too.

the jap keyboard is just an english keyboard with optional moonrune right? or there is more?
also, wich model is perfect for a weeb setup?

yeah, x220 i suppose

Attached: 27674473-32ace90a-5ca6-11e7-8804-f5a8958f291d.jpg (1199x819, 136K)

I was, years ago, but I'm better now

>i was thinking of getting a chinese keyboard or hebrew one too.
Fucking why

Pretty much, yeah, just look up the JIS layout

日本語で入力出来ないの癖に日本語レイアウトを使うつもりなら本当に最低の人間だ。

looking at either t420 or t430 for programming, looking at documents for school and messing around with. which one do you guys suggest? I like the backlit keyboard of t430 for night working but ive heard the actual keyboard on t420 is much better to type on.

you know what? that is actually fucking genius, I'm ashamed I haven't thought of it sooner
I use a hhkb jp (pic related) with a custom controller so I can use the two keys next to the spacebar as shift keys which I press with my thumb, but every time I try to use my thinkpad with a normie layout I end up pressing space instead of shift
it should be trivial to remap those keys in linux to shift so that I can keep my muscle memory between desktop and laptop, cheers user!

Attached: hhkbjp.jpg (1920x1440, 496K)

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
How good are these laptops? I've been traumatized by Dell/HP consumerpleb-grade machines before.

Any advice on which ones to get and ones to avoid?

I'm UK but I have preferred the US layout, but that moonrune layout looks excellent. Picking up my first thinkpad tomorrow, x220 for £115, so I'll invest in the jap keyboard even if I have to import it.

idk i like the hebrew runes. and the chinese keyboard is 12 bucks and it looks nice imo

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1024x768, 108K)

i am french, i love the UK layout, but now i want the moonrune layout

i can't read moonrunes, i just like how it look mate

I have both, love the 2540p gave it to my daughter so she can scratch on it, the t420 is everything you'll need if your main use is at home. Pretty average battery life.

It's pretty much just an ISO layout with extra keys to play with, I have an HHKB JP as well but I haven't used it in years

>I'm UK but I have preferred the US layout
Seek medical attention

That's fine I guess, but you're missing out on the extra keys

>pick IBM keyboard layout during distro install
>can remap thinkvantage key without scripts and other bullshit by default
I didn't know that was a thing and it makes me feel like a fucking idiot.