What is your favourite programming language?

And why do you like it so much?
What has it got to offer that makes it stand out from the crowd?
Give some examples of code that proves its brilliance!

Attached: cpp.png (1385x1557, 62K)

Currently, Ruby. And fuck C++.

C++ has some nice stuff though; std::string means you don't have to malloc a shitload, while classes keep your workspace tidy

Why Ruby?

Kotlin is fun AF desu

So far I've only worked with a handful of languages, but I think C++ seems like a pretty decent language to work with if I want something to work efficiently. However if idgaf about overhead and I just wanna slap shit together then python's pretty versatile

Common Lisps
It's a best. :^D

I like the pure object-oriented approach and the functional features. Syntactically it's a very elegant language, even if the performance is shit.

perl

kys

kk

Python

Because the future is now faggots.png

Assembly.
But most useful is C, and C++. Anyway, I don't understand why to use classes. Object-oriented programming is a bloat.

OOP facilitates cooperation among multiple developers working on different modules. If you're working on small projects yourself, there's no real need for using classes as opposed to more simple data abstraction constructs like records or structs.

What is it they say about Perl? Combines the power of sh, the clarity of sed, and the performance of awk with the simplicity of C...

The Swiss Army Knife of languages

>even if the performance is shit
Literally exactly the same as Python.

Lua was my first language so I feel nostalgic to it.
Python because it's so comfy, also because it's pretty similar to Lua.
C because it's the language I'm most familiar.
Haxe because it's pretty much ActionScript 2.0 and AS is dead. It's comfy, transpiles everywhere and it's good for prototyping gayyms. Also C# which has a similar feel.
Unironically JavaScript. It has its annoyances just like Lua but once you get used to it it's nice. It's not its fault that it's used in webdev.
Assembly and Basic were fun to play with but I haven't touched them in years.

I imagine all of those general-purpose web-oriented scripting languages (Ruby, Perl, Python, PHP, Go, etc.) have similar benchmarks.

C# is the only thing you need to learn.

C and Python

try Crystal, user.

Hasklel, it is just so sexy.

except theyre not

Tikz is the most elegant language I use.
All programming languages are fine, but tikz genuinely gives me joy to use.

Go isn't even in the same category as those.

>OOP facilitates cooperation
What is this even supposed to mean?

all of them are shit but the ones that less suck are C, C++, Javascript, Prolog

Python, because it's useful for 90% of the things I want to do.
I use C and C++ for the other 10%

>Python, because it's useful for 90% of the things I don't know how to do but I can import

fixed.

Go doesn't fit there, and no, V8 and Spidermonkey (js engines) has very good performance, well micropython has good performance too,

>I want to do.
so you don't do a shit right? you just want to do it.

>I don't understand why to use classes.
>mentions C++

do you even know C++ ?

C

Attached: bigdick.jpg (597x600, 161K)

>C++ has some nice stuff
> you don't have to malloc a shitload,
>std::string

do you even understand basic C++ ? , do you know what "new" does?, do you even know what string is ? you could do the same shit in C, create a macro called new and dynamic strings library like the one in glib

Take Qt as an example.
It offers a few base classes which is generally useful but they don't do everything.
So instead of modifying the code in Qt, you inherit a class and re implement the relevant functions.
The new class you made is therefore identical to the base class and all functions in Qt.
This is extremely useful in graphical toolkits because there is so many things you need to consider in those and it shouldn't be implemented in each application.
You don't need to do a lot of calls to new in c++.

>micropython has good performance too,
nope

Typical C++ tard. Takes a shit load of words to say fucking nothing. Also kys.

>general-purpose web-oriented scripting languages
It's called "faggots ad hoc languages that are too dynamic beyond type checking and should have been designed for fast compilation instead", user.

>mallocs so much he creates a macro called new
enjoy your memory leaks fgt, you should avoid using new as much as possible

Python by far
>b-but you're not a real programmer! You just import everything
Exactly why its so comfy fgts. I don't care about writing muh boilerplate code, I care about getting results fast.
C/C++ for when performance is important.
>C/C++!!, b-but C is way better!!! They're not similar!!
KYS if you argue C vs C++, this means you understand neither.
Also starting to like C#, shame that the whole environment is painful to use.

>enjoy your memory leaks
if you are an stupid monkey who doesn't even understand how to code correctly you could cause memory leaks even with smart pointers or even in language with inherent gc.

Don't act like you're so smart that overusing the heap doesn't lead to memory leaks in code you write. Also, memory leaks are just one issue with heavy heap usage. Most vulnerabilities arise from overusing the heap.

>Don't act like you're so smart that overusing the heap doesn't lead to memory leaks in code you write.

Yes I have lot of experience and I know how to planify my code to choose when to allocate and when to free in a secure efficient way or when trust in shared pointers, there is nothing wrong about using heap at least you are working on embedded system.

>overusing the heap.
do you even know how memory allocation works on an OS and the difference between stack and heap? I don't think you understand it correctly

You're right, but it's generally bad practice nonetheless.

I think I do, care to explain what parts I am incorrect about?

>, but it's generally bad practice nonetheless
no, stack is limited by OS you can't solve problems which requieres a lot of ram since its limited when the program starts.

>Don't act like you're so smart that overusing the heap doesn't lead to memory leaks in code you write

ayyylmao he is not talking about being smart, he is talking about SMART POINTERS do you know what they are?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 34K)

well, do you know that inside the executable it is declared the maxium amount of stack to be used so if you use more than that you get an stackoverflow.

Damn, the pajeet stereotype is true.
Obviously the stack is limited by the OS, but you are fucking retarded if you think using the heap magically grants you more space. An overflow occurs when the stack and heap run out of virtual memory space. Growing either of them too large will cause this. The OS will allocate more space to either the stack or heap if necessary until there is no more space to allocate in which case you fucked up.
Unbelievable.

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 41K)

ok you are an idiot

ulimit -s

Yes, this maximum amount also limits heap usage. The stack can grow dynamically on most distros. The stack will overflow when it grows down into the heap which grows upwards.

This depends on the OS though, theres tons of OSes where the stack does not grow dynamically in which case you are correct.

If you are not using automatic stack expansion, entirely OS dependent.

As I said the only field where I would care about not to use the heap is in firmware and high performance numeric computation all other high level problems are heap intensive specially when you deal with complex data structures.

python and ruby are the only languages I legitimately enjoy working on

Attached: z.png (640x795, 174K)

I guess is the first language you learned or basic because is dusgusting af.

It's damn sweet, but I wish it wasn't lazy-by-default. It doesn't work as well in practice as it does in WFPM.

its a toy language, deal with it.

Clojure. Easy to work with, great libraries with composable concepts, access to whole jvm ecosystem.

what do you use to make a basic rest server

idk I just solved fizzbuzz thats what we Jow Forums like to code.

Ruby.
Expressive, concise, and powerful. It takes the best of Smalltalk, Perl, and Scheme. It also has a wonderful community, lots of jobs, and really high-quality software.

Plus it allows whatever ridiculous shit you need to solve a problem. You can write domain specific languages, you can add methods to fundamental classes like String, and you can even do shit like this:

require 'active_support/all'
time = 1.month.from.now

Yep, I just overloaded integers with a 'month' method.

Other favorites of mine are Clojure, Scala, and Haskell.

C++ and PHP

c
because Jow Forums told me so