/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here. You are entitled to an answer. Also bump!

previous thread

Attached: Infinity+flying+paperplane+this+is+so+awesomei+couldnt+find+any_aee581_3746347.gif (352x288, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-us/shop/7000-gaming-series/15-7567/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop
topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7560-laptop_specifications_en-us.pdf
dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Upgrades-for-new-7559/td-p/4668867/page/1
linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=142491
techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-peripheral/how-connect-4k-screen-pc-3634369/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has the EC2-B been fixed yet?
A post in the archive mentions "coil whine and button issues".

Attached: 1523894518008.png (1260x840, 440K)

>You are entitled to an answer.
that's some snowflake cancer right there

I have a number of large files stored on mega (around 500gb). Whats the best to download them, I am using 3g/4g connection on my phone tethering and the best speed I get is like 20 mbps at night, during day its no more than 8mbps
Is there a service where I can upload my files and they send me a hdd or like a box of dvds/blurays burned?

bump..

Is there a way to get to the history of updates on Android 4.4?
I wanted to install the version of an app I had before I updated it (I don't remember when was the last time I updated it and for sure it isn't the previous one).

I want to set up a vpn on Arch for torrents, what should I use?

openvpn
vpn ht

get a seedbox faggot

you can open the devtools, find the cookie with the name PREF and change the value to
al=en&f5=30030&f6=8
to get the old youtube layout back

I have two sticks of RAM that I want to use together in the same PC. However, they're from different manufacturers. Will they still work as a dual-channel pair? Or what? I've installed them in matching dual-channel slots but my system is only showing that a single channel is being used.

Pls help, I'm stupid and bad at computers.

Attached: 20180416_142610[1].jpg (2560x1440, 1.07M)

I'm building my own server!

What cheap Xeon should I keep my eyes peeled for?

Attached: smells.jpg (600x445, 40K)

Are they the same size? Try putting them next to each other - sometimes the documentation is wrong.

I have an old laptop shitty acer laptop from like 2010, looking to replace with something a little more powerful, but I've also been thinking about building a pc.
what do?

check ebay for engineering samples

if you are rich you can build a pc and buy a new laptop

For the guy who wanted to revert to the old youtube layout.
(function() {
if (window.location.href.includes('disable_polymer=1')) {
return;
}

const hasParams = window.location.href.includes('?');
window.location.replace(`${window.location.href}${hasParams ? '&' : '?'}disable_polymer=1`);
})();

They're the same size, yes. I read that it can take some time and a few restarts to recognize the new memory, do you have any idea how long that might take? It's been about an hour and still nothing, maybe I'll open it up again and try your recommendation.

How do you disable "mouse acceleration" for a laptop touchpad?

i have 8th gen 8600K and in device manager i have this, same as when I had a skylake 6th gen

"Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901"

shouldn't i have an 8th gen pcie controller?

nice thank you

>devtools
how exactly?

hold ctrl+shift+i on your keyboard

Soup guys. I'm looking for software that can record short video snippets and be able to combine them into a video. I have an amd ryzen 7 and believe Relive is out of the question. Any recommendations?

And go to Application>Storage and find an entry for youtube.com.

I got an Asus H270F Gaming and I added a Kingston 240GB M.2 SATA SSD to it. The SSD is showing up as a 2MB(?) drive in BIOS and I can't install Windows to it.

It shows up as M.2_1:TC58NC1000 (2MB). Pls halp.

Nvm, fixed it. Wasn't installed correctly the first time, I didn't fully seat it I guess. Thanks.

OBS? Seems to be a popular choice for recording & editing video.

so i just bought a "monitor" on ebay which turned out to be a small tv, i still works with my PC but the latency is horrible. Is there anything i can do to fix it?

seems like just f6=8 is enough it auto fills the rest

There was a simple youtube "mirror" that I used a few years back, I liked it because it didn't have the clutter of the recommended videos panel and the comment section. It was very clean but with time I lost the link. Anyone know what I'm talking about? IIRC there were at least two different websites like that.

I've wasted about an hour searching for them and also scouring various addons and userscripts, no luck. But it's worth the time because with the recommended videos section you can get distracted very easily, that's why I'd recommend (haha) that sort of site for the sake of productivity and time efficiency to everyone ITT.

Attached: 1.jpg (1272x1920, 878K)

Hey Jow Forums, I'm having an issue with my iPhone. I know, I already browse no need to point me there.

For the past few days it's been restarting for no fucking reason after upgrading to iOS 11.3. Just using it for 5 minutes and then it just reboots. I tried like 100 different things and fuck all works. It's an iPhone SE, never had issues before.

Attached: ImgW.jpg (600x514, 57K)

hooktube

nein

Test

be sure to refresh the page after you're done

I've had this gaming laptop for a while now: dell.com/en-us/shop/7000-gaming-series/15-7567/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

I heard somewhere it has an extra SSD slot in it. What would be a good internal SSD for it and how would I go about putting it in? Is there like an installation or does it just plug in?

Test2

I set up a htpc / personal server for myself runing Opensuse but it's proven harder to set up than I thought.

One day ssh worked fine but now I get the "connection refused" error even after I'm pretty sure I enabled Port 22 for ssh on my router. This is happening both on my server in my laptop runing Solus. I was able to ssh into both for a day until it stopped working for some unknown reason.

My server has a two terabyte hard drive that is mounted but listed as having no size and is read-only despite being empty and over writing it with zeros with dd. YaST is not letting me format or tell it where to mount the drive tilling me it's "shadowed" or something.

I was going to install nextcloud and some home streaming solution for media but it appears I'm not smart enough to do this.

Attached: 1516589175677.png (665x574, 251K)

Woke up to fdroid crashing trying to update repositories. Gets to here then says it crashed, then this notification sticks around. Tried clearing app data already.

Attached: Screenshot_20180416-142745_1.png (1063x252, 20K)

Read the manual.

topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7560-laptop_specifications_en-us.pdf

it says it supports M2 drive

Alright, thanks. Forgot that I coulda found the pdf of it, I left my manual for it at home. Is installing the drive like plug and play or is it more advanced? What would be a recommended brand of an SSD? Thanks

>left my manual for it at home
Jesus christ. They should take your internet away. You fucking google manuals. The only time you waste your time flipping through a hard copy is when someone glues it to the wall in front of your shitter.

Is there a way to change the password for my router's access page? And no I don't mean my WiFi password. I mean when I enter 192.168.1.1 in my browser, and login to the router locally (or with a Linksys account) it asks for the router password. Which is "admin". That's terrible. Yet I can't seem to find a tab that lets me change that.

Now granted in order for someone to even be able to access this page, they'd need to be on my network to begin with so I made strong WiFi passwords and turned off their broadcasts, but still has me paranoid.
Router is a Linksus WRT AC1200 if it matters. Stock Firmware too.

Attached: 1401316957120.jpg (557x1062, 131K)

samsung, intel, sandisk, depends on your budget, the dell you have take M2 2280 (physical size) SATA drive

dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Upgrades-for-new-7559/td-p/4668867/page/1
also read this thread its old but may be revelant

linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=142491

If you're running win 10 and going from HDD to SSD for your boot drive, just pop it in and run Macrium Reflect.

I am poor

Then buy a prebuilt desktop.

I. Am. Retarded. Or blind. Or both! Thanks a lot user. I changed it. Some Becky Chambers for your troubles.

Attached: Becky-Older.png (745x693, 920K)

if you're willing to buy refurbished and shop wisely you can find a bretty gud workstation for around a hundred to a hundred and fifty bucks.

if you are issued by coil whine, stay away from SteelSeries new mice. They have insane coil whine and I bought and returned a shitload of the new Rival and Sensei mice and they are hardware flawed with coil whine

my computer won't stay off if I leave my keyboard plugged in. powering off just reboots, and if I unplug the keyboard it will shutdown but plugging it back in turns it on immediately. I have wake on keyboard/mouse disabled in the BIOS so what could be causing this? the keyboard is a cooler master quickfire pro if it matters.

The red (video, not audio) connector of my component cable is broken, can I just use cut one of the connectors of a AV cable and solder the connector onto the faulty one of the component cable?

Attached: 1200px-Component-cables.jpg (1200x933, 110K)

Any guesses my dudes?

Is DVI able to spit out 4k video feed? Or 120 Hz?

is that Kingston the only drive in your entire build? And what M.2 slot is it plugged into? Because depending on the motherboard, it will only allow a SATA based SSD to be a specific slot.

Yeah it's the only drive. It's plugged in the SATA compatible one.

Thanks. It has just an SSD right now, as I got it. It was the version with the 256 gb SSD, 1050ti Nvidia card, i5-7300HQ cpu.

Finishing up my semester, Just forgot to bring the manual back to school. I guess I coulda just googled the manual, but still, thanks for the help.

Hmm. That's odd. Have you tried a Linux live Boot USB? If the M.2 drive still shows up as 2MB, could be it's defective. Either that, or the motherboard doesn't support M.2 booting (I doubt this, but you never know.)

>Copying from prev thread
How to install custom fonts in manjaro (arch)?
>Yaourt install doesn't work, puts fonts in
/usr/share/fonts/misc/
>fc-list doesn't show the fonts,
> fc-cache -v outputs
/usr/share/fonts/misc: skipping, existing cache is valid: 22 fonts, 0 dirs
I have the write chmod on the folder,
Do I need to add a line to a config thing somewhere?

Attached: 1523513402536.jpg (1920x1080, 242K)

I'll try a live usb. What should I look for? Should I use GParted?

Could it be that it needs to be "initialized" i.e. plug in to some working PC and format it or something?

techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-peripheral/how-connect-4k-screen-pc-3634369/

Here. DVI can technically do what you're saying, but requires some effort. I'd just go HDMI honestly.

Attached: DVI Limitations.png (703x1071, 79K)

It could be that yea. Seems to me that M.2 booting still hasn't been perfected. I would open the disk in Gparted as you said and format it as NTFS (Windows partitioning). See if that changes things when you're trying to install windows.

If not, I'd say return the disk as it may be defective.

Guess it's time to ditch DVI

Bought a new cooler to replace my stock piece of shit. The only microfiber cloths I can find at the moment are some chink garbage I bought from Frys that left microscratches on my phone. With that in mind, what's the best way to clean off any remaining paste the stock cooler left on my cpu? Will a paper towel fuck my shit up?

regular cotton cloth and alcohol

How is this possible

Attached: file.png (880x258, 21K)

I have two PCs connected to an av receiver which is connected to a 1080p monitor. Often after boot, the desktop displays at 1080p @ 30Hz, which looks blurry and awful. It happens both on my Windows PC and my Linux PC. Is it my av receiver that is causing this? After bootup, on both PCs, I can manually switch to 1080p @ 60Hz and it works fine. But I have to do this after nearly every bootup.

two cores?

GAHHHHHHHHHHHH WHICH ONE IS TELLING THE TRUTH THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE

Attached: temps2.png (1314x600, 70K)

Why does it matter?
It isnt at a high threat temp

Is it OK to go with a PROBABLY BROKEN cpu fan for a day or two

are 1.2ghz dual cores actually good enough for modern web browsing? i know apple does crazy shit to optimize their computers to run on less hardware (like iphones still beating higher specced android phones) but im a little afraid to bite the bullet on a new macbook with only a dual core

Attached: question.png (901x1007, 212K)

How easy would it be to create a script that automatically sorts downloaded files into folders based on a certain part of the filename when the filenames always follow the same format?
And create a new folder with that name if it doesn't exist?
I'd like to try doing it myself, the only language I can even remotely write is C#.

nibba just slap a case fan on your heatsink and power it via a MOLEX/SATA-to-3pin connector and turn off CPU fan error detection in BIOS

Today this pop up happened. It showed up a few hours after I did slmgr -rearm to get another 30 days of trial period like I've been doing for more than 2 years now. It appeared a few months ago and nothing happened, and right now it doesn't seem like anything is wrong either.

What's this about and should I be worried my Windows could one day suddenly say fuck you and stop working

Attached: Capture.jpg (365x234, 28K)

It's overpriced but functional. The main thing you get out of a processor that anemic is battery life. If that matters enough to throw THAT much cash behind, knock yourself out.

Suppose I have a device that's rated as "2 A charging current" and I plug it in a smartphone wall charger rated for 0.5 or 1 A.
Will the device actually draw 2 A and maybe damage the charger or the charger will regulate the output to its maximum rated current?

Someone remembers the name of this online page that you can upload images to and it'll improve the quality?
It was something along the "chan" line, but cant remember the name

Never mind, found it, it was waifu2x

I would sharpen the edge of that laptop and slit my wrists with it if i paid $1600 for a 1.3ghz processor.
Buy literally anything, get something in the 3 or 4 range

If you just need "web browsing" get a lenova or chromebook

Im using an iPad 1 and noticed that when I browse Jow Forums it lets you bypass the cooldown timer thingy.
Why is this and how can we reproduce this on something else thats not an iPad 1?

If earth is flat would it wear pants like this or like this?

Didn't see a thread about phone questions, but I have had an iphone 5s for 3 or 4 years and it is dying. I got a used Asus Zenfone 3 (ZE552KL) off ebay.

My question is, is it a good phone or at least better than iphone 5s?

General comparison websites had it at least competing with iphone 7. As long as it is a general upgrade I will be happy.

You have to do a recaptcha every 2 minutes.
After you solve one on any board, you have 2 minutes grace period where you dont have to solve one

cant, my workplace uses proprietary software which only runs on macOS (all the devs here use macOS)

im part of the "deployment" team at my work so i dont work on software but i do need to use their software which means i have to buy a macbook lol

Lowest common denominator. Both devices have to hit a certain spec for it to charge at that rate.

im getting 3fps less average since moving my gpu to the 2nd 16_x1 slot on my SLI board

arent both slots supposed to be the same? my sound card in a pcie slot isn't taking a lane is it? i have 8th gen cpu if it matters.

2nd x16 slot*

If I replace my hungarian laptop keyboard with a us one, will it be compatible with my machine? It would be much cheaper, and I wouldn't mind the layout.

Attached: key.jpg (500x366, 20K)

it makes slot 1 and 2 x8 to use the 2nd slot, how can i stop my one gpu in 2nd slot from being x8 mode?

My mother currently uses Windows Movie Maker for easy and simple video editing for her job, and she's wondering if there's any programs that are similar in ease of use but with a bit more complexity to them.
Doesn't matter if it's free or paid

Is there a way to recover a lost partition? I have a hard drive that's just a standard NST for Windows, when I plug it in Windows wants to reformat it but I've been able to experiment with different software and I can see the raw data. I can use a program to pull the raw data but JPEGs alone is half a million because it's pulling shit like iTunes photos and my internet cache from before the laptop died.

I just want to be able to pull the handful of folders I want without shifting through thousands upon thousands of files with no structure

I remember that I had to get a certain driver to make the internet connection work when I installed Windows XP a fuckton of years ago.

Now I want to install a linux distro because reasons. Do linux distros also need a driver to have internet connection? How do I know which driver should I download before installing?

>How do I know which driver should I download before installing?

Copy the model name + the distro you want to use and follow instructions

Electronically it will be compatible, but some ISO cases won't accept ANSI layout. (Cases like MacBook, or some ASUSes), but I think it is not a case here.

Model name of what? The router?

How do I get around pic related?

I have a YouTube account and a cellphone, but I created another YouTube account to upload silly meme garbage bullshit that I don't want associated with the first one. I don't have a second cellphone because I'm not a terrorist, a nigger or a CIA agent. How do I get around this ASIDE from making an email and a youtube account every time I want to upload a random video.

Attached: AnnoyingCunts.png (356x636, 23K)