Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Attached: 1496739144211.png (2000x2000, 119K)

No. Maybe in 5 years when the protocol isn't bare as fuck. Right now things that were standard in X have to be reimplemented separately in every compositor or library.
I'm talking about things like screenshots, color pickers, and redshift.

Never ever, gnomefags won't cooperate with anyone, KDE doesn't seem to be making much progress, other DEs don't care, wm's will have to write/use 3rd party libraries for lots of shit that wasn't necessary on xorg.

So basically nothing new in the land of soy and FOSS

Jesus, I hope not. Wayland was a mistake.

How many years has it been already?

10 years at least.

Nobody can stop bitching long enough to get any work done. I love Linux and all that, but it's community is a bunch of whiny twats. Everything is a controversy with these people.

Why couldn't they stop bitching about Mir?

Canonical hate bandwagon, though not without precedent. Ironically, this time they were doing something good and now were's stuck with Wayland.

I'd stop bitching if Wayland amounted to something. But it's been in development for 10 years and it's still beta for all intents and purposes. In the same time the X protocol was already stabilized on version 11 and widely deployed throughout the industry.
And don't give me that bullshit about community-developed software. Wayland is sponsored by huge corporations like Samsung.

>FOSS
>soy
stay cucked

Wayland is shit. Wlroots makes it a bit better, but those redhat fags keep sacrificing perfectly fine thing because of "muh unsafe'

It's also backed by intel and Red Hat.
What a joke.

>Are we there yet?
Almost
Pretty soon thanks to fuckdora, cuckbongo, wayshit and guhnome bloat 3 GNU/Linux on the desktop will be completely useless
Thanks Fed Hat

>wlroots
These guys are heroes
They try to implement all the missing functionality in Wayland to create something that works
Too bad that fucking red hat and gnome is going to sabotage their efforts
Fuck red hat and wayland

>run wayland
>have to run X to run anything other than wayland itself

Attached: 1510866092312.png (645x729, 62K)

The only good thing that came from the Wayland fiasco is the complete and utter exposure of anti-X11 propaganda
For at least a decade they are bad mouthing X11 and the "mechanism over policy" and promise that Wayland will be better than anything

Face it
X11 is here and it works
And it is here for close to 30 years
And it has backwards compatibility all the way back
And it is flexible and can be shaped into anything

That's impressive
You must be a fanatical nutjob to still think that Wayland is ever going to work
This shit is broken by design

I blame the scrum and agile ideology
X11 works because it was actually designed and not being pure ideology as wayland and other shit pushed by scrum edgelords

fuck that whole side of Linux basically (redhat, gnome, canonical). I really do not get why everybody (except Jow Forums) thinks they are amazing

because they're big enough to sway opinion through money
its not a new tactic whatsoever

Yes and it works fine.

X and Wayland need to merge. X has too much shit and poorly implemented, Wayland has not enough shit. also wtf is EGL

This

Nah, proper KMS and EGL support in the binary drivers means we can soon ditch display servers and compositors altogether.

Begone, bloat.

wayland works already though, it's just that there isn't enough manpower working on porting wine / major browsers / mouse input for muh games

>he doesn't use SwayWM

Fucking bloated KDE faggots.

>The dudes working on Wayland worked on X
>They say X is a blosted pile of spaghetti code
>Jow Forums says X is great
Who do I believe?

>le meme man poster

They've really ruined Linux. Remember when it use to be blazing fast? It's getting more and more bloated each year. It won't be any different from mac and windblows soon. I'm thinking about just switching to ghostbsd at this point.

>le ironic shitpost

Attached: 1513922732515.png (625x773, 111K)

>le meme

>Wlroots
Why not smithey?

>They say X is a blosted pile of spaghetti code
Which part of them? Can I have a recent statement?

No its not there yet.

I use Sway every day and it works for me.