Faulty wi-fi

Everyday my PC surprises me with a new issue.
Today, after many more tweaks to my router, I thought I sorted it out. But now, pic related happens and fucks up my online gaming.

Any tip on what could cause it?

Attached: Untitled.png (719x1033, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lostdomain.org/2017/06/17/qt-qnetworkaccessmanager-causing-latency-spikes-on-wifi/
github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4209
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

probably other wireless signals interfering. Just plug in an ethernet cable you fucking faggot

stop using 2.4GHz

Attached: download.jpg (208x206, 5K)

Today's tweak was changing the channel to something no one else around is using. Before that, I was getting 100-200ms.

I've used ethernet, it works. But I don't want to give up just yet.

Could improve my situation. Just want to make sure it's not something easily fixed before I invest in a new router and wi-fi adaptors.

>gaming on wifi
Make sure to not reproduce.

get a better wireless network card, preferably one with several antennas attached to a stand that you could place on your pc tower like pic related

Attached: asus-pce-ac66-card5.jpg (550x491, 37K)

It works fine when my wi-fi stops acting up. Same ping, same experience as ethernet.

>wifi
>turn microwave on
>rip wifi

I realize this is totally not helpful but you may not be able to fix that depending on where you live. If you're in a house then there could be a chance. First step would be accept that you can ignore your wifi router and computers card as a problem because that's very likely not it. Now look for everything and anything that's in your house that use 2.4GHz. A pattern like that were wifi works fine but breaks at regular intervals could be a cordless phone or similar that doesn't transmit data most of the time but does ping/connect to a basestation regularly. ...if you're in an apartment building then it may be something people next door have that's the problem. Also.. that interference could actually just be some other device using your router. If you have a wifi router with one computer and two phones connected or some situation similar then that could be your problem. Worse, it could be a router next door with two phones connected that cases it.

Oh, it's semi-regular, eh? That could help you rule out what is on and what's off when this happens. Just to rustle your jimmies, the stranges 2.4GHz interference problem I've encountered was a elevator motor(!).

Going 5GHz could help - but the better solutions are either cabled eithernet or powerline ethernet.

That was pretty helpful. Thank you.

I've had this happen, did you try disabling power saving mode in your device config?

This used to happen to me on my intel 7260AC adapter, it was caused by background scanning for available networks.
Rolinbg back to a previous driver worked for me, as the settings to disable background scanning didn't seem to do anything.

Yes
I got a little programa called WLAN Optimizer, it allow you to enable and disable background scanning and other settings on the fly. It worked for a while, but today I disabled it and that's where I am now.

>stop gayming
>problem solved

again, stop using 2.4GHz
i had this same issue and the solution was to change the broadcast channel until it happened again. after switch to 5GHz there are no more problems.

or use a wired connection and stop being a chump

Attached: download (1).jpg (236x214, 8K)

I would have to wire the house to get the cable to my room. I'll only do that if I really have to.

>2018
>using ethernet cables
does not compute to me

What channel? The channels overlap with those around them, so if you found that noone was using channel 7 for example you're still overlapping with 6.

Also, the 2.4GHz band is balls congested not just by Wifi signals but Bluetooth, cordless phones, wireless keyboards/mice, and a shit ton of other stuff.

I used a smartphone app to scan other wi-fi around my house, my channel is on the least congested channel now.

it's the current year isn't a valid argument and wired connections are far more stable, subject to less interference, and faster than wireless ones. if you're playing gaymes where latency matters you're a fool to be using wireless.

You're using wifi, you will lose the occasional packet. What you have is already damn good for wifi.

Wireless is a meme. Use a wire for better performance.

Try turning off Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). I had a similar issue, and this solved it. It was some unknown device causing it, couldn't be arsed figuring out which.

get gud, stop blaming your internet nub.

>wifi for a stationary computer
what is wrong with you?

Attached: 1521049026671.gif (300x300, 1.9M)

Even a microwave interferes with 2.4Ghz. all electronic devices seem capable of interfering with that wavelengt at some point.

Least congested by WiFi

This shit happens to me sometimes but barely.

>hurrr wifi on desktop is stupid ur dumb and I smart

With 802.11AC and a modern home, wireless is fine. It’s a less risky option than running cables through the walls, because unless you know how to do it right, you either will end up fucking up your wall or not making the cable properly, or end up paying an installer like 100 bucks or something just to run a fucking cable. Not to mention if you rearrange your room you’ll have to run an ugly long cable to that point on the wall or run a whole separate cable again. You can get miniPCIE or M2 adapters for desktops and get Intel 7260AC laptop cards for less than 20 bucks off eBay.

In 2018 Ethernet is not required at all unless your house is old and prevents even AC from working well, or you require over 250mbps bandwidth. The only reason I’m currently using Ethernet is because for some reason my master bedroom above my garage tanks Wi-Fi speed (even 802.11ac) when you are in the room, most likely due to some asshole next to me blasting his TX power. His router automatically changes to my channel when I specify one. So I ran an outdoor run on the outside of the house up to the room (tiny attic, can’t run the cable inside) and attached an AP/switch with LEDE to power upstairs.

If you’re just the average joe in America, an 802.11AC router is fine. Just because it’s a desktop doesn’t mean it’s a sin to use a wireless card. In lots of situations it’s actually much easier.

Missing packets is literally part of wifi you faggot. What the hell did you expect?

I 'unno, faggot, maybe something more stable when the router is in the adjacent room, faggot. Maybe not happening every 15 seconds either, faggy faggot.

I'm having janky wifi issues recently too .. (well not wifi It would break via ethernet since it's the modem not router) .. I think it's because there's some major roadwork going on near my house but I could just be retarded (only happens at night and roadwork is from 12am - 6am or something)

> gaming
Make sure not to reproduce.

so you're worried about one packet drop every 15/s when thousands of packets are transmitted across between each incident? (ping is not the same as regular packet outflow).

This is really good above the failure rate of most devices.

If you are really planning on being that autistic, try using airodump/tshark to look at the beacon errors or other possible fubar shit that happens at those points. Should be really easy to narrow down the timestamp while you have ping going.

>playing videogames over wifi

>same experience as ethernet

it isn't the same due to the way wifi works. But if you don't play fast paced games, maybe it doesn't matter.

A typical small batch of dropped packets is not going to produce a timeout, asshat. Fuck off

It literally doesn’t matter with modern Wi-Fi. If your ping is 75ms or under without spikes, most games will lag-compensate just fine. No one will notice anything. Stop spreading placebo bullshit from 2005.

>a dropped ICMP packet won't produce a timeout

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

Yes, it can, however during a ping attempt on windows it’s going to continue trying until it’s successful, and after a certain point, will timeout. The user claimed that dropped packets and normal and this is a normal thing with Wi-Fi and you should stop using it (it’s not). A normal, routine occurrence of a dropped packet should not be causing regular timeouts like that, likely there is a problem with hardware on either end or very heavy interference.

But you posted a feelsguy, so boy do I feel stupid now.

>A normal, routine occurrence of a dropped packet should not be causing regular timeouts like that
Do you even know how ping works faggot? It's literally a packet being sent and received. If one of the 2 gets lost somehow you'll receive a timeout. Wifi loses packets all the fucking time. Only laboratory environments have 100% packet reception because they employ faraday cages.

See

>BangBlongs jast wirks
>HALP GOYS MUH WAYFEY NO WOKIE

It could be a Qt bug, possibly from an old version of Qbittorrent.

See; lostdomain.org/2017/06/17/qt-qnetworkaccessmanager-causing-latency-spikes-on-wifi/
and; github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4209

That packet loss just ilustrates what happens ingame. There's a hiccup on the connection, everything freezes. Somethimes it lasts for half a second, sometimes it's 2-3 seconds. And sometimes I just outright disconnect from the server.

Have you tried changing your Wi-Fi adapter? I’ve had this problem with just pure trash adapters, mostly USB ones. I’ve since switched to miniPCIE cards for my desktop via bracket adapters.

Sorry if you’ve already mentioned this, i skimmed the thread a little.

No, I've only tried usb adapters, with and without antennae.

I'll try the PCI card next, then. I'm worried that the problem could lie elsewhere, though, and I end up wasting money.

You can always return an adapter from amazon and just say it gave you connection issues if it doesn’t solve the problem. They usually don’t dispute it.

Get the fuck out you windows poo babby, maybe try reddit if you actually believe what you just wrote.

I had this. Installed linux and it stopped

Attached: ping.png (678x720, 6K)

>BUT MUH WIFI SPEEDS

Every fucking time. It doesn't matter how fast or powerful or close your WIFI router is OF THE SIGNAL IS INTERRUPTED. Use a fucking cable you idiot.

>online gaming
>Wifi
That's you're problem

I found the problem: you're using wifi. Anyone incapable of running and terminating Cat5e/6 should not be on this board.

I'll try
But muh games
NO SHIT. Learn to read before calling others idiot, idiot.

This may have worked. Connection is having very few hiccups tonight. Thank you very much.

running cable takes like 15 minutes to learn and isn't difficult unless you have actual brain damage.

lmao I know exactly which Windows setting causes this but I saw you're being a dickhead so I guess you'll just have to deal with your laggy shit.

>my online gaming
Stopped right there.