Secure Communication

>Ring me up on GNU Ring!

ring.cx/

Have you tried this yet? It is very much like Tox but is more actively developed.

Support for GNU/Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
End-to-end encryption with authentication.
Peer-to-peer discovery and connection.
Official GNU package.

Attached: 640px-Ring_VOIP_logo.svg.png (640x213, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ring.cx/
github.com/savoirfairelinux/opendht
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Today OP was not a homosexual. This actually looks pretty great

It is still very much in development, but it works fairly well considering what it does.

This is the kind of shit that open source needs.

I'd like to see a more robust enterprise version that can compete with Skype for Business.

With DHTs it may be possible to have serverless deployments or pseudo-serverless deployments with federation.

Do you have any idea how much fuckin money you can make with something like this? Too bad they licensed it under the GPL3 and something a bit more business friendly. This is literally the kind of application that can make someone millions.

Think about it. You offer up support contracts. Custom add-ons. Before you know it you're supporting multiple call centers and bringing in $3-$5 million before even hitting it really big.

But because of the GPL v3 you can't make add-ons custom tailored to a customer's desires. Businesses will not want to touch this shit which will SEVERELY limit its potential. It will forever be for NEETs and consumers that may or may not donate to the project.

After working in the industry, I know for damn sure that the GPL is widely regarded as a cancer. The Linux kernel is the only exception.

Why did it have to be GNU? Why not Apache with a nice permissive license? Why not a hybrid license that only charges enterprise?

Good find OP

Let's shill it and replace inferior numale technologies like Disc*rd with it.

>Good find
>Looks great

See this is the problem with GNU. There's actually alot of cool projects GNU sponsors and almost none of them are known of. Ring for instance is pretty cool.

fuck off proprietary cocksucker

It's cool - but interface is ugly as fuck tbph senpai.
Pretty sure someone's working on a Qt frontend.

only deb or rpm packages. pass.

It really has potential but there is near zero discussion about it.

It is in the official Arch Linux repos.

Is like they dont put money on marketing and just focus on the code :^)

The Android client looks fine.

most pimp.
This looks better than signal and wire.
Will try it out. Thanks OP.
pic undrelated.

Attached: mdrc.jpg (1920x1080, 125K)

How does this compare to say, "Conversations" using Omemo?

Understand that it is still very rough around the edges compared to Signal and Wire.

>ring.cx/
Oh, its more than a simple messaging platform

Thanks for reminding that I wanted to take a look at how they go distributed through NAT without servers.

Can anyone explain how it bootstraps?
I dont like signal because it still requires a website to bootstrap.
I'd be OK with wire if they'd make the server stand alone so I could run it.
This might be perfect if it does not require any website for registration.

Conversations uses a federated protocol (decentralized), Ring is distributed.
Ring uses standard TLS for security.
Ring supports more than just Android.

Attached: 1_SSPN9rwkjYw6H9ytByL8QQ.png (767x500, 117K)

It works like BitTorrent or Tox. They have their own Kademlia distributed hash table implementation.
github.com/savoirfairelinux/opendht

Thanks mate

>This might be perfect if it does not require any website for registration.
It requires nothing for registration, just generate a key, hash it, and publish to the DHT.
They have an optional experimental name system that uses Ethereum contracts to manage mapping user names to hashes, but you do not need to use that at all, even for multi device support to work.

Also this would be childplay if all devices had public ipv6 address already. How long?

Ring uses protocols such as ICE, STUN/TURN, UPnP and NAT-PMP.

Yeah, I've read the Wikipedia page. I was more meant to take a look at how the fuck these protocols work, sounds like it could be useful knowledge.

>GNU
no thanks

>tfw your friends refuse to download it for some fucking reason

>But because of the GPL v3 you can't make add-ons custom tailored to a customer's desires.
sure you can

>opens chat with self
>app breaks

Unstable

Attached: 1523722885537.jpg (700x979, 146K)

Riot.im and other matrix shit is better

Lets shill this when IM threads show up.

GPL3 isn't Affero GPL3

I've seen it as a flatpak as well. Tbh had no idea what it was till I saw this thread tho.