Is it too late to start learning programming at 23?

Is it too late to start learning programming at 23?

I'm currently a lab technician (best job I can get with a bachelors in science unfortunately, and don't plan on getting a masters/phd). While the pay is alright, the job is soul crushingly boring.

I am thinking of starting to learn programming and perhaps even reattending university for a second degree. How long would it take to learn, say, what people learn in the first 2 years of university in a 4 year program, on my own time?

Attached: 1500431217584.jpg (1080x1349, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

byuu.org/articles/experiment/
softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/370/how-old-is-too-old
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>65572141
All depends. Is that you in the pic?

no

I'm not talking to you then

you'll always be a virgin if you orbit girls like this

You can learn the first 2 year relatively fast, but you will lack the experience to be consistent and clean in your logic structures.

Attached: 1523442239039.jpg (337x309, 42K)

kek'd

So I'm thinking I should go back to school then. I'd be done at 26 or 27, do you think this is a problem for employers?

You'll be fine. I started at 25 and can code circles around literally anyone that posts here

That's good to hear. Did you self teach yourself? And for how long?

I prefer the keks

Someone who is dedicated can study and learn programming and get more knowledge in 2 weeks than an average student does in a semester. You could be making your own small programs two weeks from today, if you wanted.

>Is it too late to start learning programming at 23?
It is only too late once you are dead. 23 is prime age.

I keep hearing about 'make personal projects and put em on github', but what sort of projects do people usually do?

anyone else have a hair fetish? I just want to bury my head on her hair and breath in all the pheromones

t. assblasted OP

they usually find a problem that kinda bugs them, then fix that problem or find a workaround with software they develop.
coincidentally, that's exactly what you should be doing
making something that you'll never use and have no interest in will just drive you away

You mean stuff like this?

Attached: Challenges.jpg (3456x1944, 924K)

rolling

hey thanks, I'll check these out once I learn java/python

Of course not - you can learn almost anything if you're reasonably intelligent and put some effort in:
byuu.org/articles/experiment/

roll
also why tere's no flight sim?

roll

>How long would it take to learn, say, what people learn in the first 2 years of university in a 4 year program, on my own time?
If you're good enough to post here (as opposed to having to depend on Google to locate Facebook or Youtube despite using them every day) and write a decent OP like this, you can probably get it done in a time span measured in months or years.

hes cute

Going to university to learn programming?
Haha.

It really depends.
Are you good at learning?

What do you mean? What means orbit in this sentence

yes

it's needed to get coop/internships and a degree

roll

I started learning at 29, got a decent job and stopped being a neet.

You will make it too user.

Orbit or orbiters in this case would be describing desperate-for-pussy men "orbiting" an unattainable thot or woman.

I know a lab technician turned C++ programmer and he's one of the very best guys I worked with. He's geniunely passionate about programming though, so don't think you can make it without hard work.

I was the same at age 23, but I was teching at a top tier lab. Now I'm a grad student at Tokyo U (gotta live that weeb dream) and realizing that benchtop science is really horrible, so I've begun learning programming for stats and image analysis with the intention of becoming a data scientist. Luckily my lab has a strong bioinformatics presence and any kind of desire to learn programming is strongly encouraged here.

Unless you want to drop science altogether, I don't think you need to go back to school. Just learn programming and combine it with what you know.

I can try getting into bioinformatics

thats a male

Make sure you like it first. The idea of being able to look at experiment results and interpret them without having to run a million experiments makes me happy.

I am going to look into it definitely. The idea of doing a masters in pure science is very unappealing to me as I'm sure you might understand.

I'm in college doing a joint Software Eng /Biomedical Engineering degree. is it worth it to take the coding minor? like i want to do research with BCIs but have no idea what companies look for

I used to do this shit where I would ask myself "am I to old to do x?"
STOP
You are only hurting yourself. Try. If you can, great. If you can't, move on. It's that easy.
I hope you do learn to program OP, it's fun and rewarding, but just try instead of being an insecure faggot.

how did you get into tokyo U btw? How did you identify for example a thesis supervisor and shit?

The kind of lab you enter is really more important than your technical field. There are people in my lab that do 90% programming work and hardly ever run wet experiments.

Have good grades, great letters of rec and research experience. Learn moon, email some professors saying their work is interesting and you'd like to join their lab. Go on vacation to Japan and visit their lab for a tour and informal interview. I put a lot of work into it, as getting into one of the top research institutes in the world in a hyper insular country isn't exactly something that falls out of the sky and into your lap.

I see, congratulations on that I hope you are enjoying it. My grades are decent enough for any masters program, but I think I am going to self-learn programming and look to do a computer science degree in 3ish years then see if I want to do a masters afterwards. I don't have much responsibility in my life thankfully which can allow me to pursue these goals.

The age issue makes me somewhat insecure you're right. I guess I have to accept there will be people younger than my vying for the same positions at some point.

Honestly I wouldn't have done grad school if I didn't get in here. The fun of living here is the only reason I tolerate the horrible slog that is biochem/biomedical related graduate programs.

rolling

>horrible slog that is biochem/biomedical related graduate programs
I feel you mang

>Want to be a doctor growing up
>Realize how horrible it is after working as an EMT while in college
>Already taken the MCAT and asked for letters for med school
>change my mind and finally get on the path to biomedical research
>Talk to friend doing his residency
>"Lol why would you do that? It's way worse than medical school and becoming a doctor"
Everyone lies about grad school not being horrible.

Dude, don't go to college. Total waste of money. Learn it yourself (though you do need to be disciplined). There are tons of resources available online.

Start by learning a simple HLL like Ruby or Python, to develop your basic logical skills that are needed to be a good programmer. Learn a little HTML (even if you don't plan on going into Web). Learn git. Make small shitty projects (like a calculator, etc.) and put everything on GitHub.

Then think hard about what you want to learn to code (Frontend, Backend, Mobile Apps) and jump into that.

Would solving textbook problems and putting those onto github as a solutions manual of sorts be a good thing to do? University is relatively cheap and I have a decent amount of money saved so it's not a problem.

Yes. Though avoid C/C++ for now. Java exercises are fine.

The problem with university is that it's a waste of time. If you're disciplined, you can learn a lot more in less time and avoid a lot of the topics that you don't need 90% of the time as a developer.

I am talking from experience. With no formal CS education, I was eventually in the top 20 web developers from my country (Bachelors in Electrical Engineering). It was only after I wanted to become a hardcore backend dev, I enrolled in a Masters program in the US to get a better understanding of complex data structures (that even now I don't have to use in 90% of my work).

It would help, but do not listen to the people saying that "university is useless for programming". You can learn a lot from a good lecturer. Unfortunately, there is also an undeniable truth: Good programming lecturers are very rare.

>With no formal CS education, I was eventually in the top 20 web developers from my country
So you are from Tuvalu?

Attached: Heh.png (1064x983, 1.55M)

not sure if you are still around; I learned it three years ago with 29 and am doing fine, came in with zero prior knowledge but average intelligence and learning ability, that's all it takes in my oppinion
had a 32 yr old guy in my course/class aswell who also had no prior knowledge, did also fine and has now a job in the industry

Lol nice try but no. I've worked for multiple YC startups, published 10+ libraries in different languages, about 50k rep on SO, thousands of stars on github, built high performance video streaming services and that was all before I enrolled into a CS program.

Currently living the nomad life and working on managing a fleet of IoT devices.

It's not too late, but you'll be at a disadvantage to the guys who started when they were like 12. Though, I started when I was 18 and I'm better than most people I've met at this point. If you have better self-discipline and time management than I do today you should be employable within 2 years.

Honestly, just try it dude. Worst case scenario is you have a hobby that keeps your mind sharp and is sometimes useful.

When I was in school I had a 70 year old retired grandpa in myself classes. He graduated and left retirement. At 23 your life hasn't begun yet. Not too late

This.

>can code circles around literally anyone that posts here

Attached: 1514206675430.jpg (859x492, 165K)

if that's a tranny i will gladly smash it over the head with a shovel

For me its the choker

Tell me more please

The first step is to forget woman and your faggotry to actually fucking study, dumbass

Rolling

Some employers might care but the fact of the matter is there is such a high demand for computer science grads (at least in the us) that it really shouldn't be too hard to find a job. It's a good degree to have at the moment, and luckily it probably isn't a bubble that will pop because brainlets can't get past the weed-out courses in the first two years and switch to something else or end up being webdevs. Don't focus on webdev because indians can and will take your job

im 33, started a course half a year ago, in 4 weeks i begin my 1st programming job. at the course was 54 y/o dude (succesfull stock trader) who got bored of his old job. you tell me...

>Implying programming isn't boring

Programming is not, monkeying like I do at my job is.

What do you mean? Being a code monkey? In that case I agree but code monkey and not code monkey is a very fine line

>soul crushingly boring

Can't get any worse than programming.

Only people with problems and flaws end in IT.

I'm 35. Is it too late Jow Forums, can I ever hope to learn programming and become a professional?

Attached: 283e8c334d82cb00.jpg (2560x1710, 553K)

Programming is soul crushingly boring. You sit at a computer all day. You don't even produce anything meaningful.

sure just do online certs and shit though don't waste time in school taking kid you not 60 lower division meme classes like gender studies and philosophy just so you can be a certified javascript dev.

yes lad 26 year old CE engineering student here. Had to take off school to work for a few years now im living the dream

roll

im doing this in c#.

Attached: ajvqYGr.png (318x40, 13K)

roll

It's not too late. I started learning to program when I was about your age. And I'm a high school dropout. If you're clever enough to have a bachelor's in science, you can bloody well learn to program. Now FUCK OFF!

>Is it too late to start learning _____?
No

Sure thing kid.

Seriously? You really think someone that hot would be on Jow Forums?

Haven't seen one of these in a long time. Rolling.

roll

>put them on github
definitely not

>but what sort of projects do people usually do?
if you have no project in mind, not interested in any particular subject/fied in programming and dont know what to do then you are not going to make it

Why not put it on GitHub?

t. desperate virgin

I'm going to go ahead and speculate that you wouldn't have learned programming anywhere near as efficiently without that engineering undergrad.

Who tf is her

Someone OP has no chance with.

I'm currently learning BASIC. I feel like it's gonna make a come back. ;)

Attached: 20180416_112648.jpg (241x192, 12K)

Don't let school get in the way of your education.

roll

Don't get your hopes up. It's a charming little language, but I don't see the admins of soyboyhackr.io picking up on it anytime soon.

Not to mention, the real value of BASIC comes from being able to PEEK and POKE absolute addresses, which doesn't really work on modern protected memory systems.

Nope im 23 and started a few months ago

You'll not be fine. I started at 8 and can code circles around literally anyone that posts here

No. Its not too late, but prepare to be very competitive.

>I am thinking of starting to learn programming and perhaps even reattending university for a second degree.
Is college free where you live? Then maybe as you'd have to put in more effort to prove your skills if your current degree is not in CS. Though where I live 25% of Physics and CS course modules overlap and 25% of my team (a fortune 500 company) are Physics graduates turned programmers.

>How long would it take to learn, say, what people learn in the first 2 years of university in a 4 year program, on my own time?
I've worked with 2nd year CS student interns last Summer. You can easily reach their level of knowledge in 6 months, but keep in mind their skills are not quite market ready.

code is just typing so its very very easy so ancient people can learn it too

I have a bachelor degree in computer science but started to code around 2 years ago, and can confirm there's no limit age, as long as you study and you have passion.

Also, check the answers in there, maybe they help you...
softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/370/how-old-is-too-old

> don't think you can make it without hard work.
this

you'd be surprised... girls don't surface often and for a good reason.

NONE of these are easy