Benefits of BSD

is there any actual benefits you can get from running *BSD on your daily desktop and/or workstation?

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/7401
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HAMMER2-ZFS-Linux-Initial-Data
backplane.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

coc[k]

no, but some OpenBSD tools ported to Linux are comfy

No systemd

its p comfy
>seperation of base and packages
>ports
>no potterwarez (systemd, pulseaudio, etc)
>excellent documentation (for freebsd and openbsd at least, ive not tried the others yet)
obviously theres downsides, but give it a try in a VM

pf is nice

The benefit is that any other modern operating system is worse.

Are you brainlet or you're not seeing a lot of linux distros without systemd?

The documentation is definitely one of the good parts.
This too.

>seperation of base and packages
Why is this a good thing? Linux's lack of this is one of the things I like about it.

It means you can ask "Can I have the source code to the entire OS and not the packages?" and the answer is "Yes" because the OS actually exists, rather than just being packages.

Isn't that a distinction without a difference though? Either way you can still see the source code for anything you care to.

Why shouldn't the OS just be packages anyway? It means I don't have to distinguish between a base system and packages or ports. I install everything from the same place in the same way, update it all with one command, and have that much less to worry about.

it doesnt sound like much, but actually using something where all packages are installed in /usr/local/ is nice, and ive found myself missing it on linux. the system feels cleaner this way. probably just autism though to be honest

No systemd. No pulseaudio

good firewall, use an old computer. also nice for web servers.

FreeBSD is planning to packagize the base system soon, but I really prefer having it separate. What the post below yours said about /usr/local/ is also extremely useful. Helps you keep track of what you installed.

Who pays you culls to shill this garbage?

>The benefit is that any other modern operating system is worse.
its not that bad i guess

>nice for web servers
read the OP
still appreciate your input to this thread though

*BSD is for servers

The benefit of knowing you're running an OS that isn't meant for what you're using it for, so you get to feel like you're in a secret club of other hipsters?

>/usr/local/
>keep track of what you installed
in the most clusterfuck way possible
it helps you keep track of whether you installed anything at all, but once you have several ports installed you can hardly distinguish which files belong where and any by-hand management goes to hell
/usr/local is great for small utilities that you install once and keep forever, but anything bigger should go to its own directory in /opt

FreeBSD is DEPRECATED

You don't really know how /usr/local works in freebsd I'm afraid.
If I install dnsmasq it makes sense for its configuration file to live in /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf as it did not come with the base system.
Programs which have multiple configuration files, like openvpn will have their folder such as /usr/local/etc/openvpn.
Also you can use pkg info if you really don't know where a file comes from.

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

You'll never have to worry about catching a STD.

Not OP but what would be the best "starter" choice for BSD?

FreeBSD, because its documentation is the best. Once you finally know how to use Unix, try all four BSDs and choose the one you like the best.

Every time

Attached: I gotta laugh.gif (298x224, 3.97M)

like says, freebsd is a good starter choice. openbsd also has excellent docs, and is a good starter choice. i personally feel that openbsd is slightly more intuitive, but either will be absolutely fine (assuming you can read and use a cli)

couple of points
>only freebsd has the "good", closed source nvidia drivers
>freebsd -stable doesnt have the intel atom igpu drivers, but openbsd does
>do a quick hardware compatability check before nuking whatever you use at the moment
in all honesty though dont worry too much about the choice. theyre both great OS's, and it's not like youre gonna be stuck with the choice forever

>is there any actual benefits you can get from running *BSD on your daily desktop and/or workstation?
Yes, you have to agree to a CoC being shoved into your mouth at a regular interval.

because it's a bit exotic, less exploits are written specifically to target it.
not sure if exploits targeting OS X or Linux are easy to port to the other BSDs.

Linux is a kernel.

>Linux is a kernel.
Stopped reading right there.

ZFS

ZFS on Linux has been a thing for years now, and it works well.

>it's not for desktops because I said so
That's not how that works.

ZFS was a mistake. Does not scale well.

pulseaudio was ported to UNIX long ago. But it's forced to play nice with the way things are done on non-Linux systems.

An amazing reduction in the amount of lunixtards attempting to initiate discussion cos: we're *nix bros amirite.

is it worth using openBSD with a Pentium 4 machine? I have one spare and wanted to try

Attached: 1523531067739.gif (560x560, 26K)

Ya. Custom fit. Let's go. Get movin' user. Dogspeed.

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

wrong and stale pasta

Ignore this FreeBSD asshole. He is jelly that users are migrating to OpenBSD.

th-thanks user kun
so what do (you) recommend me then

Attached: 1495668597940.png (480x700, 384K)

So well the latest version had to be pulled due to a commit causing data loss...
github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/7401

>comfy
>p comfy
Remainder that "comfy" means literally fucking nothing.

Has there been any real FreeBSD forking efforts after recent CoC fuckup? Any attempts to start the discussion about the future of the project are quickly silenced by the usual suspects.

Or a *hug*

There is no *BSD, there is only one BSD, OpenBSD
FreeBSD is deprecated
NetBSD is superseded by OpenBSD
Nobody actually uses DragonflyBSD

not having ASLR in freebsd

>tfw couldn't care less about the CoC

>Has there been any real FreeBSD forking efforts after recent CoC fuckup?
Many have moved to HardenedBSD, it is FreeBSD minus corporate cucks.

Do NOT try out OpenBSD you will regret it

wrong.

OpenBSD's great though

TrueOS is the best.

So FreeBSD is dead? What's the deal?

Dragonfly shill reporting in.
HAMMER2 got benchmarked. It's smoking fast.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HAMMER2-ZFS-Linux-Initial-Data
Although there's the strange edge case.

Attached: 1494844273744.png (150x167, 11K)

It's a brainlet filter, which means that no quality has been compromised to cater to normies

Except cucked FreeBSD. That one's fallen to the SJWs and implemented a racist, sexist CoC.

REEEEE

Attached: deletjpg.jpg (673x415, 25K)

There's hope. Matt forked FreeBSD when it started to go astray.
Matt's homepage: backplane.com

Attached: 1507296083331.jpg (1636x1309, 445K)

btrfs cucks on suicide watch.
ZoL soybois too busy trying to salvage their data. after the recent corruption bug.
Dragonfly's the patrician choice.

It's still a good system.

Attached: freebsd-autist.png (629x933, 97K)

Not since they decided to do the same retarded fine-grained hellcomplex lock shit Linux did for SMP.
Matt did well to fork, and break the kernel down into proper concurrent lockless servers.
Dragonfly FTW

Please tell the devs to ship the version of fdisk that has a menu instead of that god-awful one it currently comes with.

Attached: ernie.png (480x360, 180K)

No communism. If you make it, you own it.

Attached: 1437422180908.jpg (850x400, 66K)

you mean cfdisk? that's too linux-centric