/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1489134187102.png (1248x1920, 1.57M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org
github.com/ddnexus/equilux-theme/blob/equilux-dev/screenshot.png
grymoire.com/Unix/
github.com/odeke-em/drive
twitter.com/AnonBabble

saged

Rude.

Good thread

I recently installed and rooted lineage on my phone. And everything seems to work except for when I try to use the root command line. Instead of special keys doing stuff something like pressing esc just types ^[, In vim this results in pressing i to enter insert mode and seeing the letter i appear in my file in vim. Then I press esc and ^[ appears so it looks like vim doesn't react to these keys but when I type ^[:q! and press return I do actually exit vim. does anybody know how to fix this, I seem to only have this problem in the root command line

I want to get the last two numbers of $RANDOM. How do I do this?
echo $RANDOM

Also recommending any good tutorials, guides, primers on the command line.
I desire to know the key elements.

I mean REQUESTING good tutorials.

echo "${RANDOM: -2}"

Is there something like Openbox that doesn't use fucking xml for configuration?

Sometimes i find my laptop with mint on it randomly turned on (lid closed) after i shut it down. It seems like its suspended but i know i pressed shut down. Why does this happen?

Fluxbox

firefox doesn't show google suggestions. Any ideas how to fix it?

Good post.

You should be lucky. What if you accidently insert you clipboard into the bar and google saves it?

:O

What are the best free distros around? GuixSD looks promising. Is is ready yet? Anyone got experiences to share?
Running Parabola for now if it matters, do no driver issues.

How picky are tar backups? If I make one of a system with separate / and /home, and then restore it to a single partition (/), will it work? What about /dev/sdaX references?

Why people say that Arch Linux packages are shitty and bloated , binary saves? whats the reason? somebody can explain this to me!?

Because package spliiting. Mist distros split a package into various parts, like a package providing the binary, a package providing the source code, a package providing documents, a package providing etc. Arch is about simplicity, so you get one package with everything, which can lead to bloat when you actually have no use for other things except the binary.

all(most) optional features are enabled by default

What kernel parameters do I need for ADB?

ADB stops recognizing my device once I'm in recovery mode. I'm pretty sure I have some kernel option turned off. What can it be?

Attached: 15237264108080-b.jpg (391x600, 60K)

False

Fluxbox is the shit. I use it everywhere except hidpi systems.

lets look at mesa
cat PKGBUILD | grep build -A 20
build() {
arch-meson mesa-$pkgver build \
-D b_lto=false \
-D platforms=x11,wayland,drm,surfaceless \
-D dri-drivers=i915,i965,r100,r200,nouveau \
-D gallium-drivers=r300,r600,radeonsi,nouveau,virgl,svga,swrast,swr \
-D vulkan-drivers=amd,intel \
-D swr-arches=avx,avx2 \
-D dri3=true \
-D egl=true \
-D gallium-extra-hud=true \
-D gallium-nine=true \
-D gallium-omx=true \
-D gallium-opencl=icd \
-D gallium-va=true \
-D gallium-vdpau=true \
-D gallium-xa=true \
-D gallium-xvmc=false \
-D gbm=true \
-D gles1=true \
-D gles2=true \
-D glvnd=true \
-D glx=dri \
-D libunwind=true \
-D llvm=true \
-D lmsensors=true \
-D osmesa=gallium \
-D shared-glapi=true \
-D texture-float=true \
-D valgrind=false

Its fine for hipdi too

How do you get a standalone WM like Fluxbox working on hidpi? If I could do that I'd tell GNOME to fuck off forever.

Jesus Christ that's a lot of config files.
Gonna give it a go though.

Make sure to match your monitors DPI with the DPI in X and xrandr
In ~/.fluxbox/overlay, change the fonts to be a bit bigger to suite your needs
And then there are EXPORTS you can set before you start fluxbox that adjust scaling

~/.fluxbox/startup is really all you would need to modify to get a customized working config

my macbooks and linux box all share the same .zshrc, so when trying to run various scripts on the machines, sometimes id run into python issues (pip packages missing, version mis matching)

So to solve it, i have a docker file which builds python:latest and installs all the common pip packages my scripts use, then when i run any one of those scripts, i start up the docker container, mount my script to /script.py, and run it. This way, i can ensure i never have a version mismatch on any machine.

Just felt like sharing

Most themes have a bunch of bitmaps though. Do you just need to manually scale them in imagemagick or something?

It should work if the new partition has enough free space for all the data.

Yes.There are also fluxbox theme repo's with hidpi themes

Best way ti rename a bunch of files on cli?

my firefox on arch wont play mp4s.
I have ffmpeg installed, why does it not recognize it?

Which FF build? Mozilla official, arch binary or self-compiled?

I tried mozilla official and arch binary.
I also tried the developer edition and nightly binaries.

Do you have mp4 enabled in about:config?

yep. it works in any webkit based browsers btw.

Does Revenge installer come with any preinstalled software or is it just Arch with an installer? I really just want an OS with no preinstalled shit like libreoffice which i'm never gonna use.

I work at a university and I saw a woman with these stickers on her laptop today. I asked her where she got the Max one and she said Red Bubble and then went on her way after saying "Have fun with red bubble, my property."
Which one of you is this?

Attached: meme-top.png (1024x768, 292K)

Net-Install Debian Sid

Why aren't there more women like this?

Attached: 1522234902071.jpg (762x900, 161K)

Eat shit and die. If you want people to find the friendly gnu/linux thread, call it by it's proper name.
fglt in subject field.

Freedom a cute.

# batch-rename txt files with leading zeros
X=1; for i in *.txt; do mv $i $(printf %04d.%s ${X%.*} ${i##*.}); let X="$X+1"; done

# batch-rename jpg files starting at 1400000.jpg
count=1399999; for i in *.jpg; do mv -nv -- "$i" "$((++count)).jpg"; done

rename (on Debian distros a link to prename) a Perl script from the Perl package. It allows things like: rename 's/Richard Stallmann/RMS/' * Richard*jpg
And ofc all Perl magic.

now THIS is what I call friendly!

incase anyone encounters the same problem. I fixed it by downgrading ffmpeg to 3.4. for some reason firefox refused to work with 3.5

she sounds retarded

Exactly how long is Jow Forums expected to wait for you to grow a fucking brain?

Literally the only time I've seen it in public.
Rude.

>"Have fun with red bubble, my property."
What the fuck does that even mean?

The philosopher, Max Stirner, had a habit of calling everyone and everything My Property, it has to do with this philosophy of Egoism. Which is why she called me that. I can assume she is an egoist.

How the fuck do I reset my terminal colors? I don't have any colors set in .bashrc, I don't have .bash_profile, .profile has no colors, I deleted .Xresources and .xsession-rc and .Xdefaults
Yet all my shit is still gray and fucking blue all over, which I assume is from some bad config I had earlier, what the fuck

honestly I never even looked at the other thread because it didn't have fglt

Thanks

what do you guys this of this general? /mg/.
is minimalism worth it?

I typically say how systemd will do whatever the poster is asking to do
if they don't have it then usually I tell them to "go figure out your init" and redirect to >>>/mg/

Does Vega not work in Wine yet? I was having issues running games, the I checked the Steam system info and it said I was running an ATI HD2900XT. Is this a bug or does it have to do with Wine emulating drivers?

cripple computing

>install lubuntu for the first time
>3 hours later
>my desktop is already fucked
is this the true freedoms experience?
i don't know what to do, lxpanel and lxsession only appear when i open them on the terminal

So I finally snapped and installed Linux (openSUSE) on dualboot. Everything went well, I really like it so far. But the issue is that the Grub is not showing me my Windows.

How to boot into Windows again?

os-prober

Doesn't show anything.

Then your Windows install is gone.

I want to have sex with her

You have to regenerate the GRUB file for os-prober to work.
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Just installed Elementary OS on my laptop, now what?

"grub-mkconfig" doesn't work, says command wasn't found.

me too

Disregard this, I'm retarded. Thanks user.

Are you running these commands as root? You need to.

I already did. It ran, generated. Prober still shows nothing however.

You guys getting Ubuntu 18.04 on Apr 26th?

Is Windows on a separate drive? Or did you partition one drive in half? Your best option would be to grab your Windows USB and do a repair. Worst case is you overwrote it, if not then the Live USB should be able to find it.

No, since they're back in botnet business.

Partition. I'm making USB now, I did not overwrote it, so I think this will be the easiest way. Thanks again user.

Add this to /etc/grub.d/40_custom.
Change the hd numbers to match yours.
hd0,1 is sda2
hd1,2 is sdb3, etc.
If opensuse doesn't have that folder/file, look up where it keeps grub settings.
menuentry "Windows" --class windows {
set root="(hd0,1)"
chainloader +1
}

hd number should be the one with boot part of Windows (that little 100M fucker) or the whole partition?

The main one, not the little one

Thanks, will do.

POSIX compliant (POSIX doesn't have $RANDOM actually):
echo ${RANDOM#${RANDOM%??}}

tldp.org

It also requires grub-mkconfig after setting it

Redpill me on TLP.
How do I configure it?

How do I make it so only the Equilux theme shows up? The theme is meant to look like this github.com/ddnexus/equilux-theme/blob/equilux-dev/screenshot.png

But for me it's a mixture of black, white and light grey...

Attached: halp.png (812x503, 61K)

>Where can I learn the command line?
grymoire.com/Unix/
info coreutils

By comparison, this is what the theme looks like for me, it looks nothing like the screenshots of the installed theme.

Attached: nothinglikeit.png (1920x1096, 598K)

use gtk2 instead of gtk3

I managed to have Windows in the Grub now. It's not loading, but that is clearly because I fucked up selection of the hd. I will fix it tommorow, have to sleep now.

Thanks again, good user.

This isn't GNU/Linux specific, but someone on /sqt/ directed me here and I really need an answer.

How do I use a regex lookahead or lookbehind to keep delimiters in a string?

My string has one or more sentences. I want to split them up and keep the punctuation mark.

E.g. String is "I like cheese pizza. Do you like cheese pizza? Let's eat cheese pizza!"

Need ["I like cheese pizza.", "Do you like cheese pizza?", "Let's eat cheese pizza!"]

Attached: DYP07Y4XcAAktg7.jpg large.jpg (552x736, 96K)

Attached: 1507918303500.png (1596x590, 264K)

p-poetteringsan....

Fuck I hate regex, but I'd start with positive lookbehind matching a whitespace with punctuation mark before it and then positive lookahead match a uppercase letter after it.
So essentially matching the white space between sentences.
So something like
(?

When I uninstall a DE (Xfce), does it uninstall the tools and accessories that were installed alongside? Things like 'bulk rename', 'sreen reader' or libreoffice.

It varies widely, but in general these things can just be reinstalled without issue.
A DE is a WM + A bunch of preconfigured programs
Installed GNOME? Here's gnome-calculator and gnome-calendar and gnome-terminal and gnome-this and gnome-that
Installed KDE? Here's KDE-calc and KDE-cal and Konsole and K-this and K-that
Installed XFCE? Here's...you get the point

Uninstalling the DE may or may not uninstall a lot of these programs, dependencies have a weird way of persisting so removing GNOME as a DE probably won't gut all the gnome-[application] things that exist because they're not strictly dependent on you actually using GNOME as a DE, just the libraries that came with it that you now still have.

Thanks man!

Is there a way to view remote files for onedrive/google drive in dolphin as if there were on the machine?

Is it possible to selectively sync a single file/folder through dolphin?

If you're on GNOME: They have a baked in solution (annoyingly)
Just as annoyingly, there's no official gdrive client for linux.
I use github.com/odeke-em/drive
Which I mostly used because it has the least obnoxious syntax. The downside is it requires Go to compile (which is only like 30mb or so for the whole toolchain so idk if it's a serious complaint). Other than that, I use it to just once-a-day sync my selected gdrive folders into specified directories, and then I bookmarked those inside pcmanfm. I would be forced to assume dolphin has a similar directory-bookmark system to keep access persistent.