/mg/ - Minimalism General

Previous thread: For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
linfo.org/unix_philosophy.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros

>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, FreeBSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Pastebins
Pure ALSA: pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r
Distro list: pastebin.com/XBTXuip5

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: Dennis_Ritchie_2011.jpg (503x662, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.suckless.org/farbfeld/),
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

New and improved chart.

Attached: pussy2.png (700x3000, 266K)

>archlinux
>firefox
>urxvt
Nope.

can someone tell me why POSIX threads are harmful?

also why shouldn't I just use C11 threads?

btw is C11 bloat?

C11 threads aren't implemented in glibc, musl, or windows/visual studio crt last I checked

What are good USE-FLAGS to set for Gentoo in order to keep it minimal?

if you don't know that answer yourself, you shouldn't be using gentoo.

I'm just wondering if there are any more obscure ones worth using outside the basic -nosystemd and -qt and -gtk etc.
>Inb4 -funrollallloops

Attached: 1523979423756.png (1366x768, 822K)

Proper chart.

Attached: guide.png (845x3892, 151K)

c11 threads are best threads
they are natively implemented in musl
where they are not you can use tinycthread which a wrapper of POSIX threads and Windows threads

Any of you guys use crunch bang plus plus (#!++)?
Opinions? Maybe a rating from 1 - 10?

Good OP

Bad chart

If you really want it minimal you can set USE="-*" in your make.conf, then set everything you need in package.use.

Good chart. I don't know about surf tho, doesn't it use webkit?

Yeah, it's just a small overlay over webkit.

Reminder: Features=Bloat

fucking shit
mine is better kys fucking faggot

Reminder: Features are needs not wants
Most wants are bloat
therefore most software is adding unnecessary shit

it all comes down to logic and seperating needs and wants. differentiating good code from bad code

This thread is bad, stop creating it.

>3 os don't use systemd
2 do
good sane chart

give me a detailed explanation

musl has them. also there's tinycthreads which even ports them to Windows, and numerous shims between C11 threads and POSIX threads that can be inlined most of the time.

That's not very minimalist tho

>posts "this thread sucks!" while bumping it

at least sage ffs

If you set up LFS for educational reasons, is it fine to use it after or should you replace it with Debian?

i hate you fucking niggers
HATERS GONNA HATE
fuck
KEEP FUCKING HATE

Attached: ale.jpg (800x450, 203K)

lang
goals:
>math-based functional programming language (ala haskell/lisp)
>stack-based syntax
>handles three nonstandard datatypes:
>>text
>>bitmaps
>>vectors
>standard library to write to screen

text:
>font file type:
>>UTF-8 map
>>per entry:
>>>vector describing char's appearance
>>>bounding box
>>>a list of links to other entries with kerning data
>>>kerning data:
>>>>delta width/height by bounding box (typically 0 height, except for diacritics)
>knuth-plass justified on all text

bitmaps:
>metadata:
>>width/height in pixels (x/y)
>>channel information:
>>>bit depth (1..64b UInt) per channel
>>>channel type; declare like tuple (L, a, b, A)
>x * y channel info (go x long as one pixel line of visual data)

vectors:
>wrap sequential vertex declarations in a name
>vertices by coordinate are declared relationally to the last vertex in the sequence
>that name now has a bounding box which can be manipulated using basic geometric commands
>the vertex can be either 2D (x,y) or 3D (x,y,z) and can be manipulated using the functional language

These features and descriptions would variously be split into file format (like font files), data structures (vectors), standard library features (writing this to screen with complex layout), and internal language features (like functional programming and stack-based syntax).

context

Attached: l a i n.png (1024x946, 152K)

Please put Source Mage with LFS and Gentoo

There should be a language which does text, bitmap, and vector (both 2D and 3D) layout nicely.
Built-in Knuth-Plass support for linewrapping, a simple image format (tools.suckless.org/farbfeld/), some sort of simple 2D/3D vector format, and a functional langauge similar to Haskell to describe behaviour (shaders, interaction ala JS on the modern web), and CommonMark for text. Designed well, this could deliver HTML/CSS/JS/WebGL in one, much faster, smaller, and easier to write package. Additionally, a windowing system could be written entirely using this language, allowing the web and local content to be produced using the same format, with much prettier layout, and less bandwidth usage. It could even have good performance through a microcode-style JIT, if it were easy enough to parse and with few enough *default* features.

Additionally, it could be used for the same purposes as PDF/Postscript/LaTeX, with an easy way to define page widths, margins, etc, with printable output through an interpreter or compiler. This could be very useful as a universal language for putting visual things on screens in a beautiful way. Even if it wouldn't be appropriate for, say, scientific computation, it could still be an excellent way to write a game, a webpage, and a thesis paper, all without being disgustingly bloated, as the language is unified over the three core principles:

Text
Images
Vectors (2D/3D)

Computing could be much more powerful and expressive if we moved out of the current rut declarative languages stick us in. Imagine a RISC-V CPU that had microcode sitting in its L1 to parse a (perhaps binary) form of the language I'm trying to explain in my posts; it would be as performant as something like C would be on that machine, but have all the power and expressiveness that comes with something like Lisp. Just use either plaintext or the language itself everywhere for almost every purpose and you'd have an incredibly powerful integrated system.

abandonware the chart
i'm talking about shit9 stuff

It's not abandonware, it's complete. 9front is really active though.

So I switched to dwm with slstatus, dmenu, and st today. I've never been comfier.

Now I want to see if I can get rid of zsh. Is there anything like the pure prompt in mksh? How about syntax highlighting and substring history search (where you type "git", press up arrow, and it only scrolls through history items beginning with "git")? If I could get those three then I'm basically good to switch. If not, I'll have to see about porting them by hand, which will require a lot of motivation I don't have

Good chart indeed, I just saw you included Plan9 and Harvey, good pick my friend.

What about vi/ex? Those are minimalist editors as well. Is emacs minimal?

>not including dragonflyBSD

are all BSD's minimal?
also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems

Attached: Bsd_distributions_usage.svg.png (536x767, 34K)

FreeBSD is easily the worst BSD. My personal tier list is Open closely followed by DragonFly, then Net.

what's the name of that L browser?

Links....
this is like the 4th time someone asked this

STOP FUCKING WITH ME YOU FUCKING NIGGER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFUCK FUYCK FRUCK FUCK FUCK

Attached: 061717-02.jpg (1037x583, 165K)

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros

>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, FreeBSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Pastebins
Pure ALSA: pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

obligatory arch and debian are not minimal post

how about you explain instead of just telling us in one sentence. You are not credible at all cunt

>minimalism; finally a good reason to have a short pinus

Wrong. A minimal penis would be the perfect amount of length (which is to say, the perfect amount of length to hit a girl's cervix, maybe a bit more if you want to break into her cervix and fuck her womb directly)

what are some minimalist-approved video games?

>still no dragonfly

Quake and Quake 2

MUH MINIMALISM MUH OPENBSD MUH THEO
meanwhile
>looks like absolute cancer ootb
>despite being the most "secure" OS it doesn't even prompt to encrypt your storage devices
garbage
you're all fucking retards

Attached: Screenshot_20180417_090731.png (800x600, 9K)

Nice argument fagtron, you sure showed me with those hot opinions

Videogames are not minimal nor bloated in itself.
It's like asking for a minimal movie or a minimal photograph.
Minimal is already a meme word without us trying hard for it.

go back to jerking off over your package count you mongoloid

What can you even do with such a stripped down piece of shit?! lmao

what depends on bash? should avoid or rewrite that stuff. i have plans to move shit like neofetch to POSIX shell or even create something similar with perl

Is Debian netinst really minimal? I am growing weary of all the maintenance and babysitting I have to do on my Gentoo machine, and want something that just werks and isn’t bloated. I know you can use OpenRC with like 5 commands or some shit to get rid of systemd too. Anyone use it? Is it bloated like some people on these posts claim? I don’t really care about the artificial package counts because if I recall correctly Debian splits a lot of packages other distros combine.

NetHack

>Is Debian netinst really minimal?
it is and it's sane minimal so you get work done

Yeah, the developers are special snowflakes who wont cooperate with the larger open source community. Their biggest achievement is removing code from software, but dont get me wrong we need more developers doing this, but more than once the developers of OpenBSD were even violent on imposing exclusive implementations on other developers and the most recent case was palemoon.

I have 32GB of RAM (Gamer RAM), why should I go minimal?

well, they are hot like your mom

A minimal penis just needs to be long enough to penetrate the labia. Anything longer is bloat.

Pong is the most minimal game. Anything else is bloat.

Switched to Void from Arch. How do I tell xbps to never upgrade/extract bash so I can safely use dash?

woman don't have penis, penis is bloat

Check the void wiki. You can tell it to ignore it pretty easily.

How isn't this just linux general like the other

Has anyone had any experience using Ratpoison as your main WM? I'm especially attracted to the idea of a keyboard centered wm.

Is cool man, get familiar with the keybinds beforehand, use the info pages on ratpoison, is like manpages but with the info command, also ctrl-t+? for the cheatsheet

Best minimal wayland compatible terminal (no xwayland bloated crap)?

I don't know why, but for some reason Void gives me waaay less graphical issues than Arch. I honestly thought I had some sort of hardware issues and was going to send my computer back, but on Void all my graphical artifacts have disappeared. Bizarre. Not complaining, though.

vi is absolutely disgusting, control characters were a mistake. ex is ok, but mostly useless over ed.

So I switched to dwm. Now, how the fuck do I pronounce it? "Dee-wee-em"? "Dee double you emm"? "Dwum"?

Is Rust minimal?

Attached: thingtken.png (420x420, 35K)

>openbox isn't on the list even though a bloated wm (i3) is
>emacs isn't listed (pretty light, especially when used for more than just text editing)
>unironically listing nano

dee dubya em

It's made by a German, so Deh-Weh-Ehm

Dwumbf

After using a tiling window manager for 2 years, I’m beginning to realize, at least for my workflow, it’s really not a hugely efficient way of handling my desktop. How bloated is XFCE? Is there an /mg/ approved standard de?

openbox or 2bwm

if you want a full DE, XFCE is ok, but it isn’t getting updates, so you might want to look elsewhere.

What's the closest thing to XFCE that is getting updates? It is easily my favorite DE.

Hmm. Wasn’t aware it was no longer being updated. 2bwm seems interesting since you can maintain the keyboard control. Thanks I’ll check it out.

Best .epub reader for Linux?
Calibre is great library manager, but it does not have highlight+note taking functionality in its .epub reader which I need.

>firefox
you know how i know this is b8 ?

Okular. Use the flatpak if you don't want to shit up your root with all the KDE dependencies.

Is there a fucking reason why Gnome only shows one application in the top bar and how the fuck can I change other than siwtching away from Gnome?

You can use Openbox as XFCE's WM. Most distros only require XFCE panel, settings, and session plus some WM with decent EWMH support to have an actual XFCE session. Enlightenment may be worth a look too.

Where the FUCK ARE MY MINIMIZE BUTTONS IN GNOME

WHAT THE FUCK

>want to design an elegant, minimal system
>want to break from the XML bullshit and cruft of this world
>know that it'll have to interact with the outside world to be as useful as it should be
>having to interact means creating converters ala pandoc for all the shitty formats out there
>that will break the purity somewhat

a love of beauty in the CS world just leads to pain

You can't make something that will please everyone, make this "system" (whatever it is) "useful" for you and don't worry about anyone else before you even start.

>using gnome

Follow your dreams dude, I liked your idea but now is time to make an implementation, man up and get to work

It's not too bad. You can remove some of the stuff.
Took me less than two minutes to install that and its goodies.

Stay far away from KDE. It's the very definition of bloat. I'm surprised how loudly it's touted on Jow Forums.

>oberon
>mothra
>sam/acme
wow I never knew autists like this still existed
I would unironically use these though

i usually just play dwarf fortress

dee double (you) em-inem

>Minimal
>No Void Linux
>Firefox
Bad graph.

túm

using mksh with i3wm and st. Pretty comfy. Tried using dash but that ended as soon as it started

Why doesn't powertop show up as an available service on Void?

What do you mean?

> but it isn’t getting updates
Wait what the fuck? Since when is xfce abandoned? Why did nobody tell me?