Wifi Lighting

Why aren't you using hue lighting Jow Forumsuys?

Attached: 523ddb84-d822-435a-aafd-f24311a92e42.jpg (640x430, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

themerkle.com/what-is-brickerbot/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because i like when my fucking lights fucking turn on and off and be lights

hue hue hue

because i like to pay £1 per led lightbulb rather £50 each

how do you watch tv in that set up? literally no back support

don't forget

>Shit user the internet is out
>Can you turn off the lights I want to to go sleep
>...no

>literal botnet
>no botnet comments

c'mon Jow Forums, you're disappointing me.

This is the definition of finding solutions to problems that don't exist.

T E N T O B
E
N
T
O
B

>Shit user the internet is out
At this point, the internet going out is almost as rare as your entire house losing power. It should only happen once or twice a year.

it does in busy cities with weak infostructures

>He thinks wifi is the same as the internet
This used to be a tech board

If there's no wired connection you just use them like normal lights, use your switch.

What are you even implying? If the wifi from your router is not working, then it's likely your internet is down. I've never had a situation where my Wifi was down yet could still access the internet via ethernet.

He's implying that you don't need an internet connection to have a wifi connection with the rest of the devices on your network.

Have you ever even used a router?

Holy fuck dude. Even if your connection to the outside world is down your local area connection will still work fine which is what's needed for hue.

I say again, this used to be a techboard

themerkle.com/what-is-brickerbot/
reminder to fight the good fight and destroy IoT cancer wherever you can

Because I built my own fully custom RGB lighting bullshit to avoid the ridiculous asking price and ~internet of things~ bullshit.

I really don't need to control lighting through a phone or remote control. I only turn on lights in my room once per day, and leave them for a few hours. I'm already too sedentary, I don't need more stuff controlled by apps, I'm fine with switching lights manually.

I would maybe be interested in making lights redshifted in the evening, but that alone wouldn't justify the costs.

I use these for gaming and watching movies, they are great lights and add to the experience but i think the rapid color changing is fucking with my eyesight after having them for a year

immediate reaction to this post as well

>your local area connection will still work fine
Local connection is not the internet.

>rapid color changing
I don't use these or have heard of them actually. Tell me more

you can connect them with an app on your pc or phone and set certain lights to zones on your screen and they will match the color of what is being displayed. ie: playing ultimate doom and having the lighting in your room match the one you are in and flashing red or yellow when you fire weapons or take damage.

sounds kinda awful for that desu

its a niche thing, most people just use them to make their house purple

>implying your hue works without a permanent connection to xi jinping's personal server

>i mean you could be trying to use cheat engine to change the color of your lights, we can't have that.

but how else will they receive the daily updates and pass the DRM test to turn off?

Didn't think of that did you shill

...yes, LAN/WAN are not the same. Hue doesn't need LAN just because WAN access may not be functional, your local connection will still work as a walled garden.

BECAUSE YOU DONT NEED THE FUCKING INTERNET YOU HALF WIT

Sorry let me rephrase, Hue doesn't need Internet Access (WAN) to function, just LAN.

>Being this triggered

>Being this brain dead
Get off my board

That's not how it works but ok

Lol nah betch

>$150 for 3 lights
that's why

Nigger.

>paying an arm and a leg so i can yell at a hockey puck instead of getting up and toggling them myself
That said I'm considering getting some X11 modules.

hue works fine without internet
I know because I airgap everything proprietary on my network

2700k whites cost $10
Colour shift whites cost $20
RGB costs $45

botnet

Smart home gadgets are normie tier.
>My thermostat, light switch and fridge all work flawlessly, but they're not pointlessly overcomplicated enough. How can I use botnet technology to fix that?

Actually having my room lights slowly fade in before my alarm helps me wake up. A thermostat means that I can better program it to stay cooler at night and while I'm at work. But I'll give you the fridge thing, that's where I draw the line.

The wifi is probably still working, and in this scenario you could just flick the light switch to turn them off.

Both are common in America

This. if it rains the right way my internet goes out until it dries a bit.
Luckily my town has their own power plant so its pretty reliable.

I hate led lighting of all kinds, it's all fucking cancer

Because there is zero compelling reason to use anything other than a simple light controlled by a simple switch.

>he can't use wet internet

I can for 1 second at a time, then it drops out and has to reconnect. That or its at dial-up speeds.

It still wouldn't affect your local area connection which is what the hue uses

the problem is that everyone and their grandma can use a web browser (and in this case, post on Jow Forums) these days while knowing nothing about anything.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 70K)

This so much. I turn the light on when I enter a room and turn it off when I leave it. The switch is right there next to the doorway. Why the fuck would I need to have it connected to some kind of wifi botnet?

It's already bad enough that my work computer spies on me...I don't want my fucking lighting doing it too.

L I T E R A L B O T N E T

Attached: yTmcQXM.jpg (846x846, 47K)

>>he can't use wet internet
Not that user but I used to live in a street that lost internet if it rained too hard. Some phone cable pit had a leak and would fill up with water eventually, so if it rained for long enough and harder than the drainage could drain the pit, then it would fill up with water. Something in there was poorly insulated or something and my ADSL would get so much interference on the line that the bandwidth would drop to near zero and would actually drop out a lot until it recovered.

I'd have to call the phone company to report a fault and they'd send a tech and the tech would poke around in the pit and clear whatever was blocking drainage or something and it would suddenly be better again.

Yes it would, I only have a windows phone and if a wireless network doesnt have internet connectivity it wont do shit on it even with cellular turned off.

Attached: image_0.jpg (817x443, 93K)

>lights need to be binary

>doesn't own a Google Home Mini
>goes on Jow Forums
i think 9gag would be more to your liking, normie

open a window faggot. the sun does that for free.

Where the FUCK do you live

L
O
N
D
O
N

Pic very related

When I'll fall for connected lighting, I'll build/buy something non-botnet, compatible with the Art-Net/DMX protocol

Attached: IMG_20180418_131711.jpg (1586x859, 99K)

Nothing to do with Internet.
Jesus Christ the state of Jow Forums.

Like actually this, hefty overkill. It's really not hard to throw your own together, either.

>considerably less expensive
>more easily customizable
>write your own software
>can literally do whatever you want if you're not stupid
>no buttnet internet of things garbage

Also, this thread fucking hurt to read. Do none of you understand networking at all? The actual STATE of Jow Forums

I personally can't see myself using any other color than a warm yellow, which is what most cheap normal light bulbs already are.
Plus I don't see the need to pair lightbulbs to a box and hang the box on a wall and use my phone to control them. I'd rather just screw in the bulbs and be done with it.

Underrated commentary

Attached: u547n.jpg (2273x1577, 393K)

I'll explain this ONE (1) time for you brainlets. Using color shifting lights at night is irl f.lux/redshift. White for the day, orange like a candle at night, just as god intended. Never touch the other colors.

Im 39 years old and ive always lived alone so check mate faggot

Anyone tried the cheap ~$15 wifi hue bulbs? Considering getting one

mordekaiser numero uno

>i want my things to have an artificially shortened lifespan due to the reliance on internet connectivity
>put these things in your house so hackers can use them to take down the power grid you rely on
fuck off, nork-nigger.

This is actually something I've thought about doing but unironically don't know where to begin. Would /diy/ be a place to start looking for the info?

I like the idea of automating the lighting to help my sleeping pattern become more regular, but don't want a fucking botnet to be involved in it.

Because I have Nanoleaf Auroras

Probably the dumbest niggers I have ever seen posting in this thread

i'm if you want to /diy/ stuff, basically put arduino everywhere. They are cheap as hell (an arduino nano is like 3€), fucking easy to program, and there are libraries for everything.
You can use arduino either to control LED light directly (like RGB led stripes) or to control 230V relay switches, dimer or whatever for classic lamps.

>How things are in my mind:
To control the light, the standard protocol used in stage lighting is DMX 512. It's easy to implement since it's a basic serial protocol from fucking 1986.
Basically, it's 512 channels of 8 bit each. Master send them, and slave listen and do whatever with the value.
This protocol is fucking simple and just werk, why not just use it for home lighting?

>receiving data (slave devices)
For Arduino, if you really wants DMX, you'll need a DMX shield or a MAX485 chip to emit/recieve signal, since DMX is build on RS-485 communication.
If you don't want to bother with actual DMX (because DMX use its own wiring, generally XLR cables) and use your network, there is Art-Net, which is basically DMX over Ethernet/UDP. Use a Wifi or RJ45 shield for ardouino
There are libraries for both on the arduino IDE.

>sending data (master devices)
To control the light, everything is possible: there is Art-Net controller for Android, PC (FreeStyler, QLC+...), and others ; there is Philips Hue to Art-Net bridge ; there is expensive stage lighting controller hardware ; or you can make an arduino with 3 buttons to send data to control other arduinos slaves...

>pic related
It's not home lighting, but i'm currently building a DMX lighting box thing for by band. The DIP switches are for specify the DMX address (necessary for live show), but i'f you're building a home lighting network, you can just write it in the firmware.

Attached: file.png (1827x1112, 543K)

IoT is cancer, and cancer needs to be removed.

Rocking them in my house. Work pretty great with some Google home mini's

>What is a basement suite

I'd 100% honestly just get a clapper if I wanted to remotely control my lights.

Seems more convenient than phone apps and shit.

Clapper doesn't let you set auto off times or alarms. You can't dim them either or change colours