I miss netbooks

I miss netbooks.

Attached: A0EDBA25-AF8E-4490-AA7A-F98693F58F17.jpg (503x576, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pine64.org/?page_id=3707
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Me too, the ultrabook meme deserves to die

Ahem...

Attached: 83fce361-1aa5-4dec-8f80-e89aa4a97a2f_1.93e64fec28a9c5a773e8587f056e1785.jpg (450x450, 25K)

That’s not a netbook. It’s a giant piece of shit trying to look like a MacBook.

What about the x140e?

Attached: 20BL000CUS-b.jpg (800x531, 36K)

They're called Chromebooks now. Google nailed the web first distro idea.

The new models with 64gb drive are godly and still come with office. Pretty much the best bang/buck pc on earth if you actually want windows/office and they make fine linux laptops too.

I've got the stream pro 11 and frankly it's everything the old netbooks could have been and then some. Only gripe I have is the touch pad requires manual tweaks with the current LTS linux kernel.

absolutely comfy edition

Attached: ASUS_Eee_PC_900_0010.jpg (3072x2304, 1.74M)

Jolicloud dev here. Not even I miss netbooks.

jolicloud was shit and you should feel bad

UMPCs need to make a comeback.
Shame they were only popular in Japan

Attached: 1507917664426.png (1136x1024, 1.68M)

can you program comfortably on one of these tiny bastards?

>tfw my go-to machine when not using my macbook is an acer aspire d257
I've got it running arch+i3, and it's smooth as silk.

I ran crunchbang linux on my eee pc 900a and it was super fast for doing random shit except for streaming video, and it would be a bit choppy browsing any feature-rich website. You can program on them but sometimes you fingers would hit the wrong key by accident because the keyboards are tiny.

Also a constant concern was accidentally touching the trackpad with your palms while typing. That was hell.

But it was cute af.

I miss the Netbook Remix interface.

The original eeePC keyboards were tiny. Dell Mini 9 got around that by moving keys around or assigning symbols like []{}|\~ to other keys accessed by the fn key.

Attached: Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix_1.png (1024x600, 200K)

>I miss netbooks.

Attached: 3865ec9164dfd351d53ad696a26d4d6406c944dc463610eab79536309cddd76a.jpg (2480x1650, 299K)

this

though i can imagine netbooks making a bit of a comeback with arm instead of x86

>1366x768

Yeah no thanks

>Dell XPS 13 blocks your path.
Ultrabooks > Netbooks

x131e is better, faster and supports mSata SSDs.

Eh, I had a second generation Atom (n450) based netbook briefly because it was small and had good battery life. The thing is, for 99% of the stuff I was doing on it, a large, mid range mobile phone would be easily able to perform the same task and for the things where a physical keyboard or full windows environment matter, I'd rather have a full sized keyboard and extra screen space afforded by making the jump to at least 12.1", if not 14 or 15.6".

I find it very difficult to come up with a use case where another common device wouldn't be a better option than a netbook.

this

Dell XPS 13 is the best of both worlds. It has the size and weight of a netbook, the power of an ultrabook, and decently comfy 13" screen. If it had a Thinkpad-style trackpoint, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I don't. They were for handlets and barely able to run a browser.

>I miss netbooks.
What do you mean, everyone's making netbooks now, they just call them ultrabooks.
Gimped CPUs, soldered RAM and storage, same shit, different pile.

Attached: IMG_20150723_023130.jpg (170x296, 12K)

no. they had a cpu slower than pentium 3, shitty overheating chipset and ancient GMA iGpu who couldn't do images or video over 2mpx without 100% cpu

There are ARM chromebooks.

> I miss netbooks.

they were all literal all atom trash and nobody had decent celluar connectivity back then to make decent use out of outside coffee shop wifi

also you are cheating that HP was like the only decent one it was based. my boss had one and used it for a few months overseas working in '08

but yeah gets its... thank god for metal ultrabooks

they are great for kids in school. Fuck chromebooks and other shit

Latitude 2120s were decent little fuckers too

oh and i forgot impossible keyboard to type on, unless you type one handed and your hand is 12yr old size.

>homecuck
Fuck whoever has this thing.

kill yourself retard

I'm not a cripple faggot.

My netbook was the whole reason why I got into Arch Linux and TWM's.

I don't. They were shit.

>neetbooks
i can see why

They still exist

Attached: Asus_Vivobook_E12_E203NA_Ansicht2.jpg (1116x774, 392K)

Thinkpad X series.

>they were all literal all atom trash and nobody had decent celluar connectivity back then to make decent use out of outside coffee shop wifi
Most people I know had a reliable uncapped 3G back then so if you hotspotted you had a reliable connection on the go.

IdeaPad S10e reporting in. As an ssh terminal it's excellent - 8 hours battery, small to carry...

I had one forever
It smelled like jizz when it got hot since I came all over it once by accident but it got me through some tough times when I was a freshman. rip little buddy.

in Australia i had a Vodafone 3g PCMIA card and 4gb for 40 dollars in 2008 and that was absolute cutting edge and real expensive ontop of a dumb phone contract.

fun fact: i had an asus laptop and a sinwave inverter in my car and made it a hotspot and use to show off youtube videos on my ipod touch to the girls at work. IT WAS MAJIK

fun fact: i no longer have a car or girls and hate smartphones... THANKS OBAMA

Attached: IMG_5607.jpg (805x1046, 125K)

>homecuck
>not homosuck

I miss gayniggers

They seem like a manlet thing to me

You got tablets. Get a keyboard and it's the same and the battery's better.

Dude can't you remember how SLOW they were?

They were like 1st gen Atom they literally choke on a web browser

Attached: 151944816397.jpg (374x374, 39K)

I don't know about OP, but nowadays I'd only use a netbook for text editing, hanging out on IRC, and watching downscaled/old anime. A web browser like surf or qutebrowser would probably work pretty well in case I need to browse the Web. Otherwise there's my phone to still do a mediocre job at Web browsing, but at least function reasonably. I blame modern "design" that involves a fuckton of Javascript and unnecessary UI elements that just slow everything down. A few years back the one at fault for pages taking a while to load was your ISP.

It'd be pretty much like using an SBC like the Raspberry Pi as a regular computer, but in a portable manner. It'd be good for taking it to uni for presentations in classrooms where I'm not allowed to roll my own OS in a flash drive or load any new programs onto the class computer which runs Windows 7.

think i've seen a single arm model a few years back, but then i don't care for chromebooks so don't really look all that closely at their hardware.

i'm expecting microshart to try and push some wincuck ones again like the old days, now that they're chasing the 'windows on arm' bullshit again

What's the best easy to find netbook? Which one's the fastest? Are there any AMD ones that aren't pure trash?

Me too. So much, I'm still on a six year-old one right now. Can't find a replacement in my price range.

Tell us more. What do you use? What do you use it for? How well does it perform and what do you run on it?

Not the same. You can't really install bare Linux, BSD, etc. on a tablet. You'll be stuck with either Android or iOS, neither of which were designed for use with a keyboard. Maybe a keyboard and mouse, but that's not comfortable to me.

Acer Aspire One AO522. The Fusion (cut down FX-based APU, from what I understand) version. 1GHz dual-core, 4GB DDR3, Win7 32. And a battery that runs for seven hours. I use the damn thing for EVERYTHING - coding, web browsing, even VMs in an emergency. While my Ivy Bridge Core i5 desktop gathers dust until I want to game.

It's as slow as molasses in a blizzard. But it weighs a kilo (even with its fat battery), cost me $300, hasn't got a touchscreen (I have an autistic hatred of them), has a replaceable battery, and packs a 1TB hard disk (that I put in). The closest I've seen to this thing with current tech is the HP Probook EE G2 - at about three times the price.

Sounds pretty nice, user. I also have an autistic hatred of touchscreens, but also of the wannabe thin design of most Chromebooks and Ultrabooks nowadays. Y'know, the MacBook Air style of doing things. It sucks, it's just fragile.

Their Windows on ARM is limited to Qualcomm SoCs with hardware accelerated x86 translation. It seems like they've totally given up on weaning people off x86/win32.

I just really miss this aesthetic

Attached: E656CB61-5BA5-4A92-B62A-8D7087149F4C.jpg (775x500, 66K)

they're making a comeback right now

>gpd pocket
>gemini pda
>some other thing on indiegogo I forgot the name of

They're big and thin. I want small and thicc. Like a loli.

>pine64.org/?page_id=3707

Price and build "quality" are comparable to those shitty Asus Netbooks from 2008.

I had some really good times on my Eee PC 900. I got another one off ebay, but it needs a new keyboard, and the white ones cost a lot more for some reason. I also have even less tolerance for TrackPads now. I'd love to see this remade with a pointing stick.

Thin MacBook wannabe trash. I want thick and tiny.

Many years ago now, RemoveWAT was written on a samsung netbook lmao

Fuck ultrabooks, too big.

Attached: gpd-pocket-7.jpg (1600x1200, 201K)

that looks awesome, but not comfortable to type

Same user, tablets are way too botnet

Attached: 6D687E43-3C85-421A-8332-1E43D7BCFA16.jpg (450x371, 42K)

How the fuck are you supposed to type on that?

Just run an x86 inside your phone.

Attached: download.webm (720x1280, 2.13M)

With your fingers... (wow what an idiot)

Jow Forumsents, quick question.
I'm looking for options on a laptop. Will be using win7 and replace HDD with 240gb ssd. Here are the desired specs:
>portable and lightweight. At least not a brick. I got a PC so this will be the 'to go' one.
>i5 4200 or at least 2.5GHz
>4gb ram or upgradeable
>no CD reader
>hdmi
>full HD if possible, but could set with HD.
Budget without upgrades is around $300 up to $500. Any suggestion?

My IdeaPad S205 is still my daily driver after 7 years.

Attached: fetch.png (1366x768, 773K)

>though i can imagine netbooks making a bit of a comeback with arm instead of x86
>kernel from the SoC manufacturer with no chance of ever getting upgraded
No, thanks. I'll wait for RISC-V. ARM went horribly wrong and we ended up with plenty of youtube machines which can't do much else.

Back in the day I dreamed of someone putting an XP system in a device with the size and form factor of a DS Lite. Still kinda wish to this day that someone had done it, just to see what it would be like.

Maybe if netbooks weren't build like shit it couldn't taken off

Netbooks are shit. What you really want is laptop performance in a smaller size.

holy fuck my dick is diamonds

One of the things I dream of is that Nintendo would give up on making new handhelds/consoles every few years. The 3DS is powerful enough even for today's standards and they can very easily just keep on making games for it for a few more years, making more Zelda titles, Mario titles, etc. rather than looking for more impressive hardware for their next product.

Sorry, I went a little /v/ there. Yeah, a DS Lite sized x86 platform would be great. Imagine one of those old Nokia phones with slide-out physical keyboards running some Linux distro.

You’re describing a GPD Pocket.

Attached: 0DB33AD5-D05B-4E9F-9D7B-B13BCDB1EF9F.jpg (1600x1200, 217K)

X240 with a touchpad swap or X250

me too

So comfy

Attached: bst2.jpg (1058x2000, 1.49M)

I suggest x220 because in terms of upgrading it's easier in comparison to x240.

i like my small boyes.

the netbook is actually almost infinitely more usable than the d420 nowadays as the 1.2ghz core duo is an x86-only piece of trash and the 1.8" drive is slow, but it's still cozy.

Attached: IMG_0384.jpg (2592x1728, 1007K)

too bad that keyboard layout is literally retarded

I only said X240 because I thought he said 4200 for the power efficiency but yeah both the X230 and X220 have better performance and good battery life and upgradeablity

i have a 10" tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard and they close together like a clam.

does pretty much the same job except *cough, cough*.. android.

>muh WQHD-LGBT+ 11" panel
Hello applel marketing shill.

Buy a Chromebook and install Linux. Problem solved. I bought an Acer Chromebook and upgraded the sdd. Comfy and fast.

Lmao x131e sucks fucking ass and is built like shit. Trackpad is pure garbage. What are you smoking?

Me too OP, they were cute little things. I have Samsung N150 which I mainly use as an emulation machine but it can play 720p videos and it can even do some light web browsing. I also remember running Photoshop CS6 on it for manga editing. Good times.

Attached: P_20180401_144620_1.jpg (3377x2304, 1.68M)

i like my surface pro. it fits a pretty similar niche in my life

>bang for buck
why not get an older model surface? they have great displays and are pretty powerful

Attached: surfaceorder.jpg (1166x477, 101K)

you could probably hold it in two hands and type kinda like pic related but on actual keyboard. it's comfier than you'd think

oops

Attached: split keyboard.png (2159x658, 65K)

yeah, it takes a little bit of getting used to.

>Shame they were only popular in Japan
Japan seems like a really cozy place.

I miss internet of netbook era. Flash was superior that HTML5, fucking Appel with their iPad.

Because the HP stream was $200 new.

I'm quite comfy with my X220 meme. Small and light enough to be very portable and big enough to fit a non-cramped keyboard.