Car bloatware

Do car companies still make cars without all the integrated navigation/entertainment systems? The software is bound to get outdated and borderline useless over time so it becomes nothing less than an eyesore after just a few years after purchase.

Attached: BMW-M2-interior-011-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HUTnZhlDmrM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can update the software.

Just buy another in a few years goy

I have 2004 bmw 525i, a few weeks ago i updated software to official release dated 2014/12.
Its over 3 year old, but still, it came 10 years after car's release

yeah its called a non touring motorcycle

What game is this

>being this autismal
It's a photoshopped real car.
They do, but in the lower tiers and some obscure brands probably have meme cars without them too. They should just have an ios and android auto compatible system, that way they will be able to save some money themselves while giving the driver the choice to not be disturbed by it when they don't want to use it.

Yes, but if you wanted something other than a disposable shitbox, you're SOL.

It's more profitable to make highly complicated cars with integrated units that require expensive equipment at official dealers to fix.

Aren't the "infortainment" systems on most new bmw's/audis for example an accessory, or am I wrong?

It used to be, today it's cheaper to use off the shelf equipment with an off the shelf OS, but lock it down with encryption so only dealers can update it (preserving the profit mechanism but removing the costs of custom hardware and software)

Just buy an old car lol

But all the good ones are expensive as fuck

3k civic. Become the boi racer you were meant to be

Good by what metric?

at least in the US the NTSB cucks made a backup camera mandatory safety equipment (I believe starting this year). So you get a screen, and therefore almost certainly an """infotainment system""" whether you want one or not.

I have a 2001 model and I will drive it until death do us part. I don't know about now but in that era they were still built to last indefinitely.

Just be aware your instrument panel might eventually stop working as Honda was hit with badcaps.

just buy the base model of any car, with any luck you will also get a manual transmission to deter assholes from borrowing it

My 2016 base model jeep wrangler has none of that and I love it

You can, if the car manufacturer provides an update. I remember a few years ago Volkswagen refused to do so in one of their Transporters and some guy sued them and the judge said VW was in the right. Want updated maps? Buy a new car, goy!

Surely those infotainment screens run off Linux? Would it be too difficult to make your own CFW?

No, the backup camera regulations require it, and they use it to track everything you do in the car. You have to tear the whole damn dash apart to get at the thing and remove the sim cards to prevent this (the cellular antenna is part of the cpu).

....maybe you can convince the dealer to order one for you without it? I think you can can still get nonstandard colors that way (but I have never actually bought a new car in my life).

Some do but that doesn't mean there's any way for you to get past the security they put in place to keep you from doing it. Also nobody cares enough to except for trendy meme machines like teslas.

Yeah, but only in the same way that Android is Linux. It's Linux running on a locked-down piece of shit device that's meant to defeat attempts to modify it.

the cellular network, and wireless communications in general, was a mistake.

>mandatory backup cameras

Fucking why? Unless you drive a babydick truck or something with no rear window they don't provide any information you can't get by turning your neck.

New cars have shitty rearview now especially hot hatches. My 16 Veloster Turbo barely can even see out the back at all and there is a massive blindspot from the bumper below.

Also about 98% of drivers don't know how to use their mirrors properly.

Attached: mirrors.jpg (576x711, 83K)

Are there any cars I can install gentoo on?

I have my mirrors setup like that yet it is hard to judge rear distance. It’s easy with that setup to judge like rear-right and rear-left but not straight rear. Just some thought not the best driver but yeah got some blindspot issues.

Honestly if people knew how to setup their rear view mirrors properly they would have less issues with blindspots in general. Everyone being a passanger always tells me HURR YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO MOVE YOUR HEAD TO YOUR SHOULDERS TO SEE FOR BLINDSPOTS BRUH GIT GUD when you can achieve this with a better mirror setup and make less head movements and have better vision on both front and side

I’ve been told to not even rely on the mirrors at all.. and instead quickly look over your shoulder and check

Yeah, people say that because they point their side mirrors straight back and thus can't see the blind spot with their mirrors. Your mirrors are perfectly reliable if you point them correctly. There's a reason you have three of them, after all.

My base model 2014 fusion has an integrated entertainment system (granted it only plays music [radio, usb *I use this*, auxiliary and bluetooth]) and it's basic enough that it isn't an eyesore / intrusive so I'm quite happy
> But it's powered by (((((microsoft))))
I was thinking of buying a gen 1 / 2 miata and fineggling something with a raspberry pi for a entertainment system in the car .. r8 my idea

You guys approach that problem wrong. Just drive faster than everyone and you'll never have to check your mirrors again.

Heh

Attached: image.jpg (257x196, 38K)

You people are the reason why the QEW(ontario canada) ends up like the first car chase in Mad Max 2015 every 4-6pm.

You can just straight up use a tablet as a head unit if you've got a big enough hole in the dashboard. Some guy made a custom kernel for one of the nexus tablets that makes it work a whole lot better as one. I don't know how tablets would hold up to summer heat compared to your approach though.

Driving fast is stressful and I generally can't be bothered unless I'm running very late. Uses a ton of gas, too. I'll sit in the right lane doing 60, thank you very much.

You are a sensible man. I hate those fuckers that go just barely the speed limit in the far left lanes where everyones going at least 1--20 km/h faster.

>Driving fast is stressful
Wrong.

Driving fast is pretty chill here in Germany. 1 hand on your dick the other on your (imaginary)gfs tits knee on steering wheel and there you go 250km/h on the highway

God I heard about that in europe. why do all the slower countries have more accidents?

>go 180
>play this
youtube.com/watch?v=HUTnZhlDmrM

It is depends where you live. Here fucking wiggers want you race you because you passed them at like 10 above the limit and they tailgate you and flyby you flashing their hazard lights.

I’m always scared now of overtaking Corollas or Sporty cars.

>be me
>car has no GPS navigation
>be in hidden diagnostic menus
>car has GPS it uses to detect when you're in motion for disabling hdmi in
Reeee

Attached: 20180418_134529-01.jpg (3024x4032, 3.08M)

Learn to stop worrying and love the speed.
Remember: The faster you go, if something fucks up, you won't even know.
Car Crash at 60mph - fucked for life
Car crash at 180mph - just ded, just like that, no pain.

I'll only be that guy when there's a left exit I have to take. which unfortunately there is not far from me. oh well, the speed demons have two center lanes.

>watch for cops
>watch for people going slower getting in your lane
>swerving around said people
>much less time to react to anything

nah, I'd rather sit back and put the cruise control on and relax. Fuck that white-knuckle noise.

I love speeding but not with idiots who want to die and kill pedestrians in their way.

Attached: image.jpg (400x300, 88K)

So?

The GPS position is the easy part, the mapping part makes it hard.
Should be nice if it just displayed your coordinates though, for super basic navigating.

Might as well dig around and yank the gps antenna if the screen can't even show you where you are.

- Have a car faster than cops (So probably don't live Saudi Arabia unless you're a crown prince)
- Don't live in Azberfuckistan
- See above
- Not an issue

>Pedestrians on the highway
Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

Thats resonable. I however countless times have seen people go onto the starting ramp and stay as low as 80km/h for a while. And dont even get me started on transport trucks.

Are you seriously suggesting setting them up for the "blind spot"?

If so please don't ever go driving near me, thanks.

Pedestrian vehicles you turboautist. Also you kill the other racer as well.

Attached: image.jpg (387x384, 124K)

Rules are pretty strict here and you need a good amount of money and time to even get a driving license.
Don't know how its in the neighboring countries. The problems may be bad roads in general and cars not held properly.

>implying I'm racing
I don't race nigger, I just like going fast.
I don't really care if other people go faster than me, good on 'em.

You'll note I spoke of the highway - that's not where the boy-racers play.

Yes. That's what they're there for. Stop pointing them straight back just because your dad did it that way because his dad did it that way because his dad didn't know any better because his Model T didn't have side mirrors.

But they do.

Attached: image.jpg (704x400, 89K)

Engineers figured out what the optimal setup is, not my granddad.

Just turn your head and stop being such a dumbass.
=

no they ain't, there are there to help me reverse, You have to actively fucking turn to see past your blind spot you fucking moron. No amount of mirror manipulation will be as effective as moving your fat ass.

>You have to actively fucking turn to see past your blind spot you fucking moron
Maybe you do, because you set up your side mirrors incorrectly. I don't. Look at the image upthread, by the time a car has exited the center mirror, you can see it in a properly adjusted side mirror, and by the time its exited the side mirror, it's abreast of you, and you can see it out the driver/passenger side window.

Yea but guess what I can't see if I set up my mirror like a moron? My back wheel and guess where I drive most of the time? That's right in the city where my back wheel is more important than not moving my head 120 Grads

Perhaps, but I heard europe is generally lax with speed limits. I wonder if it has to do with geography?

>why do all the slower countries have more accidents?

The further south you go, the worse people drive.
Simple as that.

Scandinavians are driving Gods.
Other Northern Europeans are decent drivers.
Anywhere south of Paris people are far too emotional to make rational decisions.

No this is because the GTA is a terrible place to live with immigrants coming from countries where there are no rules on the road and paying for their licence.
The highways are overpopulated and underdeveloped, transit infrastructure sucks, and commuting anywhere during daytime takes an hour.

t. Poo (so stop with the white knight shit)

No not at all. Speed limits are enforced strictly everywhere. Off you can just drive where you know there is no police or speed traps.
the German highway is the only road with no speed limit. But only on short parts where the sight and road allow it.

Honestly the only times I find the QEW is backed to shit is going towards Toronto at 6-9am and towards niagra falls 4-6pm. I find during the days its quite spacious on both sides with only there being a bunch of tranny trucks. I find driving in cities like hamilton and toronto as fast as a bowel movement but other than those 2 its ok.
Oh I see. Guess I was wrong.

I don't know where you live, but US highway patrol get top of the line V8s for over half a century, and european autobahn cops are some Cobra 11 wheel wizards.

Yes, all those leggy Crown Vics surely are pursuit machine extraordinaire. It's all about communication.

>mfw Honda Civic can go over 100 MPH and the highest speed limit near me is 70.
Why these niggas buy such fast cars lmao

Attached: 20180418_142844-01.jpg (2448x3264, 1.8M)

>Do car companies still make cars without all the integrated navigation/entertainment systems?
Yes, entry level cars have basically nothing media-related
>The software is bound to get outdated and borderline useless over time so it becomes nothing less than an eyesore after just a few years after purchase.
How so? All they're meant to do is play music, show a map with GPS and change some car settings

I don't even want that much. I don't want GPS, and I don't want to control the radio or the AC with a fucking touchscreen. I want my car to not have any screen in it at all.

Afaik those were top of the line when new in the 80s, now they have Chargers and those australian Caprices, you won't outrun those on the highway.

Holden doesn't make cars anymore.

There are bad and good drivers everywhere. Its not as black and white as you'd like it to be.

I think isle of man doesn't have any speed limit at all. Don't quote me on this.
And you can always speed everywhere as long as you don't get cought (by police or speed traps). Just don't be a prick and jeopardize others.
I personally don't like driving in a straight line even if its fast. Its just plane boring.
I rather drive on curvy mountain roads where you have to drive properly or you end down the mountain in some tree.
But driving isn't all about fun. Most is just for getting to places.

>gps is botnet
>radio is botnet
>ECU is botnet
>OBD is botnet
>emission regulations are botnet
>safety regulations are botnet

I don't fear death, if the payoff is freedom.

Attached: peugeot_205_gti_5-920x690[1].jpg (920x690, 88K)

I like driving, and I like hiking. I tell my Google maps to keep me off highways and interstate where possible as I travel to hiking destination. Lots of neat roads found. Thank you for reading

God is basically botnet he knows all you did
Satan too I think

>speed traps
what a scummy thing. Wouldnt be suprised if thats why all the speed limits are that low.

The biggest issue with botnet isn't that it's all seeing. The issue is that people are petty/assholes/stupid and shit leaks everywhere.

This, but unironically.

In addition to this they may also want you to pay for the update, especially if your car is no longer under warranty.

Get an old Yugo. They sucked the way they came out of the factory, but they were easy to fix and built like tanks.

Then get a budget car, it'll have nothing of what you mentioned and will be cheap as fuck

Just buy a modern aftermarket unit once the original gets too outdated?

I don't see the need for Autism here.
People also buy a new phone ever 2 years.

New cars are made so you can't easily do this.

Why?

why they won't "just provide" MHL/mini-HDMI or some shit ?

This
Putting an aftermarket head unit in my Civic would break like half the functionality of my steering wheel and gauge cluster.

Is that Jerez?

>botnet
>in a fucking car
Wtf, most cars aren't even connected to the internet, how can they be botnets? Do you even know how ECUs and OBD work?

Bullshit, the only hard thing you'll have to do is manage to fit your new system in the console in a non ugly way

>most cars aren't even connected to the internet
they are
>he only hard thing you'll have to do is manage to fit your new system in the console
it controls other functions in the car, its a proprietary connection.do you wantto be able to use your airco?

>they are
Only GM does this en masse worldwide, and audi in some countries. Other manufacturers only offer that in their luxury models, which means that most cars don't have internet (emphasis on most).
>it controls other functions in the car, its a proprietary connection.do you wantto be able to use your airco?
Why are you talking like only luxury cars where everything is digital exist? And, even so, all those systems run through the can bus, you can get the handle of it in a week, I did that in my fucking 2015 A3.
Take a look at the Dacia Sandero for example, it has no internet, mechanical airco control and a pretty basic sound system that you can easily replace.

Bmw is just shit all around

>shit build quality
>fuck expensive repairs
>shit software
>ect...