The state of Google apps

>The state of Google apps

Attached: Screenshot_20180418-154857_01.jpg (1080x369, 48K)

i have not updated an app on my phone in over 8 months, i used it everyday. ama me anything

Does a telephone really need "apps"? That seems like a lot of fucking hassle.

Telephone doesn't.
Smartphone does ;^)

I know apps that haven't had their changelogs changed in years. Fuck google play.

Does a computer need "programs"? That seems like a lot of fucking hassle.

openstreetmap via maps.me

haven't updated nor installed any apps on my phone in over a year ama

>not writing daemons for everything you want to do on a computer
Fuckin' pleb

OS/Version?

>implying a deamon is not a program

I am slowly leaning towards it. These fuckers keep pushing updates every few days to rape my data pack

Delete all apps and use a secure browser.

I have asked this question to myself before and slowly came to the realisation i use my phone and need it way more than any computer.
>Google Maps - can't get around without that
>(Your Bank's app)
>Uber/UberEats
>Google Play Music and the like
>Chrome for web browsing

>>Google Maps
Try HereWeGo. Way Superior for commutes.

Google Maps does all i need, and i trust them more than anyone else when it comes to accuracy, i mean, ffs it even displays when the next train is coming on the underground even if i have no WiFi or Cellular.

>I [...] trust [...] [Google]
hmmmm

>Trust some chink-backed startup that can run away with money and data any time and fall off the face of the earth more than a company so big, a day of downtime for any of it's main services would cause global chaos, and even it's smallest moves are scrutinised by governments all over the world, creating controversy on top of controversy

t. Pajeet Pootel Rajapoonapadopoo

>implying it's not the pajeets who own cheapshit phones that any white person would be embarrassed to be seen with in public like the essentialphone, xiaomi shit and oneplus

OsmAnd
s
m
A
n
d

you're delusional

>bug fixes and performance improvements

Attached: ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.jpg (500x375, 131K)

That's reasonable.
My personal experience with Google was a lot worse than with HereWeGo.
But maybe it's different in the USA.

i'm not in the US so idk

Russia and the most of EU were a lot better for me in HereWeGo (it was HERE Maps exclusive for Lumia back then).

>Uber/UberEats
kill yourself normalfag garbage

>using Gett instead of Uber
ok contrarianfag

>using any kind of ride-sharing or taxi service to order food or go to bars/clubs
fuck off and die normalfaggot.

>not having friends
>not also living in seclusion and ordering food right to your door

kill yourself

Attached: kill yourself.gif (1221x1007, 142K)

i am getting deeper and deeper into debotnetifying my private life.
My strongest tie to google is google map for its ability to find the commuting route in basically every city.
I don't mind openstreetmaps but the botnet is so good at finding which train to ride, where to commute, how much for the tickets... in every city. This is so convenient and I don't know any opensource alternative.

I strongly recommend HereWeGo.
It's not open source, though.

Attached: Screenshot_20180418-135951.png (1080x1920, 153K)

>>Google Maps - can't get around without that
You easily can if you have any sense of direction whatsoever.
>>(Your Bank's app)
Do your banking on your desktop at home. You have cash, a debit card, and probably a credit card in your wallet, no need to bank on the go.
>>Uber/UberEats
You have at least one of the following to get around with in the absence of Uber: Car, train, bus, bicycle, feet
>>Google Play Music and the like
Don't tell me you stream. Buy some /csg/ MP3 player for $20 and never worry about it again.
>>Chrome for web browsing
Why would you need to browse the web while you're out and about?

>Direction
if you live in a town you can walk through in 10 minutes maybe but any city worth anything like Amsterdam, London, L.A. you better use maps nigger
>Car, train, bus, bicycle, feet
None are as efficient, cheap, convenient and reliable.
>Buy an MP3 Player
>2018
kek
>why would you need to browse the web on the go
oh i see you're a NEET, because anyone who isn't one absolutely needs internet everywhere they go in 2018, in fact the majority of my web browsing these days is on the phone, either from the convenience or from need to do something urgently while traveling, going somewhere, or even on the toilet

>you have cash, a debit card and probably a credit card
I have none of these things, this isn't the 1960s anymore

>It's not open source, though.
Well, the botnet you don't know can't be worse than the centralized botnet
Thanks user

Don't do it, the botnet is a Jow Forums meme that retards took as an absolute truth. Your life won't change at all, the data Google has linked to your name is insignificant and not relevant to someone to care. You will just stop seeing targeted ads, but you can stop seeing ads completely with just an Adblocker, so why bother?

Attached: 1259289759220.png (295x200, 6K)

>but any city worth anything like Amsterdam, London, L.A. you better use maps nigger
They still make those in paper versions you know. And they typically have big poster-sized versions pinned up in every transit station.
>None are as efficient, cheap, convenient and reliable.
Transit, bikes, and walking are certainly cheaper. Owning a car might well be, too, over the longer term, if you travel significant distances. Enjoy your surge pricing.
>kek
I'll be listening to music while you have no data connection. And listening to what I please when some big label gets into some licensing fight with Google or Spotify or whatever you plebs use.
>anyone who isn't one absolutely needs internet everywhere they go in 2018
Read that back to yourself and realize how ridiculous it sounds. Zero people had this before ten years ago, and everyone got by just fine. I routinely leave my phone at home when I go out, and I seldom miss it. You've just become hooked on a device that's designed to distract you. You can just put the damn thing down and free yourself from all that.

lmao. They know where my smartphone is at any moment, they deduce where I live, where I work, what my daily routine is. They probably listen to my typing at the keyboard at this very moment and know I am a dedicated shitposter on my free time.
But this is acceptable as long as I pretend it doesn't matter as if I block the ads.
I shiggy diggy. gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8

>OpenStreetMap
>Banks are fucking botnet anyway lol just pay cash and bitcoin
>Taxi/Bike you fat fuck
>Qbittorrent and mpv/Odyssey on PTD
>Tor, IceCat/Orfox, IceCatMobile on PTD

Fuck, not this thread, meh, fuck my life

Turn your GPS off nigga

Attached: W1zk4ZF_d.jpg (464x212, 14K)

paper maps are basically useless compared to a map that actually shows you where you are instantly without you having to stare at a paper poster map like a third worlder and guiding your finger around it just to find out where you are, all it takes me is a tap, it doesn't matter what country or what city, i don't even notice the difference, it's all the same shit, you get from A to B.
>i'll be listening
so will i cuz google lets me download all the music to my phone for offline listening, kek
>ten years ago people got along just fine
yes, 2000 years ago people also got along without other things we need now, i'd argue that with my job and lifestyle owning a smart speaker is a must, nevermind a smartphone
>put the damn thing down
and lose my job? no thanks
>Bitcoin
fuck off minerscum, one day your currency will get regulated, major miners jailed for tax-evasion or it will just crash and lose all value.
>Taxi you fat fuck
not sure how taking a taxi makes me lose weight over taking an Uber taxi but okay
>Bike
lmfao are you a Jow Forumsfag or something? I will bike for pleasure when i want to, but when i need to go there i need to get there fast, besides, if you really want to lose weight the only efficient way to do so is just smoking cigarettes, not that i have problems with that anyway.
>Q-crash-torrent
no thanks, Transmission all the way
>mpv
No thanks, MPC-HC with madVR and ffdshow all the way.
>no name browsers that have none of the functionality every 21st century non-neet needs.
no thanks desu.

>fuck off minerscum, one day your currency will get regulated, major miners jailed for tax-evasion or it will just crash and lose all value.
LARPing /v/ neet detected

>just turn off your phone and put it in a faraday cage when you are not using it and you'll be fine :^)

This is actually very easy to do. You can actually buy little bags made of metallized fabric that blocks radio frequencies, from the carrier towers, wi-fi, RFID, NFC, bluetooth, and GPS. There's also wallets with the same stuff sewn into them.

Oh, Jew has pain in da butt? Poopoo much?
>fuck off minerscum, one day, blah blah
Kek'd not only jew but also a retard
>>Taxi you fat fuck
..."/bike you fat fuck"
I know, it can be hard to read english right after hebrew but at least try, it can't be that hard
>I will bike for pleasure (...) but when i need to go there i need to go there fast
>fat fuck
>Transmission
(CONNECTING TO PEERS...)
>MPC-HC
Shiggydiggy
And about the browsers... what? Everything works except fl**h

>taxi/bike you fat fuck = taxi you fat fuck and/or bike you fat fuck
>fat fuck
>implying cars are slower than bikes
>implying underground trains are slower than bikes
even if you're a world class athlete it won't be the case, especially not after 15 minutes or so of the journey, if takes you across the city or to another city and so on. But you probably live in some dumb pseud-amish village afraid of technology so hard you delude yourself into thinking if your entire country takes 15 minutes to walk through then so does everyone else's.
>CONNECTING TO PEERS...
beats just straight up crashing when you download files over 1kb in size
>everything works
oh yeah like syncing everything to my google account which by the way is an actual requirement for work most anywhere in IT and tabs from other devices and backed up browsing history, cool story bro.

I love you

The only alternative to Uber is a car. Public transport is unreliable crap.

I fucking know right

>40 apps need updating!
havent done it for like 3 years
suck my dick jewgle

you too, user

^^ *hug*

Attached: 1522202338282.png (709x709, 452K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180418-072555.png (1080x1920, 128K)

At least they have the balls to say nothing instead of the boilerplate "Improvements to app reliability" crap.

Attached: Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 19.07.32-fullpage.png (1428x8119, 430K)

the point is that it's fucking awful to release changelogs that are vague or entirely absent. ideally Google would regulate this.

>being this poor
kek

>cuckplans
>being american

>that giant font
wtf m8

Attached: Screenshot_20180418-114628.png (720x1280, 78K)

>You easily can if you have any sense of direction whatsoever.
I use it to beat traffic and get around road blocks. And it's far easier to use an app to get to a one-off place you've never been to.
>Do your banking on your desktop at home. You have cash, a debit card, and probably a credit card in your wallet, no need to bank on the go.
I'm outside more hours of the day than I'm at home.
>You have at least one of the following to get around with in the absence of Uber: Car, train, bus, bicycle, feet
Public transportation is inefficient as fuck outside of very few cities in the US. Good luck wasting 3-4 hours a day on commuting alone. The only viable alternative is a car.
>Why would you need to browse the web while you're out and about?
If you are one of those people who does use public transportation, it's pretty damn useful if you can do work or if you want something to waste time.

>ein Freiburger
I used to study in Freiburg and live nearby Landwasser. Beautiful lake, even used to sleep there with some punks occasionally in summers. Germany was truly the best time of my life. Miss it so much.

daemons are a subset of programs

>not having rollover data

Attached: file.png (1191x208, 34K)

>I use it to beat traffic and get around road blocks.
A city large enough to have major traffic jams is large enough to have at least one radio station with regular traffic updates. My city has several, one of which has a traffic report every ten minutes. If that's not frequent enough for you, you should have left earlier.
>I'm outside more hours of the day than I'm at home.
So? Routine banking is not a two-hour-long task, and it seldom matters if it gets done this minute or later tonight/tomorrow morning. If you have banking to do but don't have ten minutes to do it at a computer, again, something larger is wrong in your life.
>Public transportation is inefficient as fuck outside of very few cities in the US. Good luck wasting 3-4 hours a day on commuting alone. The only viable alternative is a car.
And if you live outside one of those large cities, you're going to have a car anyway if you can at all afford it. If you can't afford it, how exactly are you going to afford making a habit of Uber rides or delivered food?
>If you are one of those people who does use public transportation, it's pretty damn useful if you can do work or if you want something to waste time.
Nice? Yes. Essential? Hardly. Rather like most things smartphones can do.

Do you have an actual argument or are you just being a contrarian faggot for the sake of it?

B-but somebody has to install those backdoors user

Attached: lhd.jpg (750x916, 205K)

>at least i have chicken

>notification settings
>theres an option to turn on notifications for the calculator app

Attached: wut.png (499x322, 28K)

>A city large enough to have major traffic jams is large enough to have at least one radio station with regular traffic updates. My city has several, one of which has a traffic report every ten minutes. If that's not frequent enough for you, you should have left earlier.
I don't need an app to see where traffic is, but I do need it to know how to get around the traffic/roadblock. I am terrible at on-the-fly navigation outside of the routes I memorized.

>but I do need it to know how to get around the traffic/roadblock. I am terrible at on-the-fly navigation
So don't do it - trying to be clever and getting on local roads to try and get around a jammed freeway is usually a fool's errand. Think about it - if it's appreciably faster, other drivers will start taking that route, too, either because their devices are telling them to, or because of their own on-the-fly navigation skills. More and more will do so until the two routes take roughly equal time. Basically the efficient-markets theory works for traffic, too.

Holy shit you're such a dumbass whiny soyboy cuck baby

>muh google maps
Learn how to fucking ask for directions and plan your trips

>muh bank app
if you've got a decent bank then you should have no problem at all. go to the fucking bank. interact with humans you fucking aspie.

>uber/ubereats
buy a car, ride a bus, or hail a taxi. uber is shit on so many levels; underpaid employees, killing the cab industry, and causing more cars to take up space on the roads which just further fucks up the dystopian environment we live in

>google play music
hey grow the fuck up and try walking down a street without having your favorite soyboy soft pastel indie grunge rock playing in your ears. listen to the world around you, you might fucking learn something

>chrome for web browsing
can you just spend an hour away from the fucking internet? it's people like you why normies have taken over the internet and why donald trump is president and why everyone is glued to social media 24/7. exercise some god damn self control like a fucking grown-ass man.

jesus christ fuck this planet and fuck people like you

There's for every app, you dummy.

>imagine being this assblasted over a post on a chinese wedding forums

Attached: 1482574053190.jpg (267x323, 7K)

Projectors are technology

Attached: BenQ_LX60ST_Regular_Left45.jpg (3885x2953, 2.97M)

>killing the cab industry
This is not bad.

Kneecapping politically-connected taxi monopolies is arguably the best thing about Uber.

>ask for directions
>talking to strangers IRL
>not respecting urban solitude
This is why we can't have nice things
>Interact with humans
so everytime i want to check my balance somewhere in an airport or on the train i should leave, go to the bank, and literally ask someone what my balance is? What is this, the victorian era? Do you carry around cash too, caveboy?
>buy a car
not in the current economy, gramps
>ride a bus
why when Uber is cheaper/better
>hail a taxi
that's basically what i'm doing
>underpaid employees
that's the government's problem, not mine
>killing the cab industry
good riddance, that overpriced shit needed to go a long time ago
>causing more cars to take up space on roads
so would be me buying a car, how does that even make sense? Even just mathematically? The amount of cars doesn't increase or decrease with each trip i make, it's not like they're single-use or something.
Also
>his Uber doesn't use mostly electric-exclusive vehicles
>his country doesn't tax all non-electric vehicles through the roof
Enjoy your lung cancer
>grow the fuck up
>listen to the world
i had done enough of that when i was 12, i grew up, i don't need or want to listen to the "world" anymore which is just fucking crowd noise lmfao
>can you just spend an hour away from the fucking internet?
Yes, i do while i asleep.
During the day? I could get fired in case an urgent e-mail came in and i was having lunch and the company server came crashing down because i decided to adopt a dumb amish philosophy for an hour.
>why donald trump is president
no, that's because of edgy 14 year olds and really dumb old people (psst: all of them).
>like a fucking grown-ass man
i'm a woman lol
>why everyone is glued to social media 24/7
best way to get entertainment, not that i'm even glued to it, in fact i rarely go on it, but internet is a business tool for me, a smartphone is as well, i need to stay connected, and everyone does too if they leave their mom's basement once in a while.

this useless discussion is the most autistic garbage I've ever seen on this site

you haven't been here long buddo

Attached: Zuckerberg-mi-shebeirach.jpg (1484x989, 134K)

Where do you live, what provider does this?

I fucking hate being a leaf for this type of shit

BAN ASSAULT GIFS NOW!

>why when Uber is cheaper/better
The fuck? How is Uber cheaper than anything except a taxi? The only way Uber is cheaper than the bus is if the commute is ridiculously short, but at that point I can just walk.

Very simple
>have to take three busses to get somewhere
$2.50 x 3 = $7.50
>take one Uber
$7.00, don't tip, open a support ticket after ride saying the driver took an "unoptimal route" to charge you more, get $2 back

You seriously don't have daily/weekly/monthly passes for your bus? Those provide more value the more you use the bus, which easily beats Uber in monetary cost in exchange for a longer commute time.

In my case, it takes $20 Uber to get to work (one way, mind you), but it only costs $7 to get a pass to ride as many buses as I want for the whole day.

i don't travel enough for me to warrant those (i live in city centre, and walk to places most of the time), but i do agree that if you do it works well.

Data pack? Why would you update over LTE? Why not use wifi?

United States, ATT. I have 8 phone lines on the account.

I'm getting real sick of seeing this. What bug fixes, what areas have better perf? Why is this 1MB larger than it was last week, every week.

Attached: Mado stress.png (800x800, 525K)

>Why is this 1MB larger than it was last week, every week.
Literally Facebook. It started at under 20MB, now it's 50MB+ and over 200MB after being installed. It's easily the worst app on Play Store

Fucking EVERYTHING is like this it seems. Is this some flash memory conspiracy?!

I HAD THE DO NOT AUTO UPDATE APPS SETTING CHECKED IN PLAY STORE BUT STILL MAPS AND YOUTUBE WERE SUDDENLY UPDATED TO THIS LAST VERSION, DID SOMEONE ELSE ENCOUNTERED THIS ?

>using apps
>not a properly sorted open source browser like icecat with the necessary shortcuts and links configured
>using your data plan when you could go find a library or a walmart and use their wifi

my phone bill is only $20/mo [spoiler]I pay $280 for unlimited home broadband though[/spoiler]

YOU'RE DEEP IN THE BOTNET

Here have been around since 1985 under different names (Navteq...) and owners (Nokia...), is currently owned by a consortium of big names (BMW, Volkswagen, Daimler...) and have big sponsors (Intel, Nvidia...), and is inside these groups autonomous vehicle development programs.
I trust Here more than Google Maps.
Even Google bought maps from Nokia at the beginning of their Google Maps/Earth thing.