Are there any printers that aren't a scam?

Are there any printers that aren't a scam?

This inkjet in my office is an ink hog and I'm pretty sure it lies about the ink

Attached: ink-hp.jpg (349x299, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B074V54TWR/
youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ
youtu.be/S_X87H8UPvs?t=16
youtube.com/watch?v=pQGtucrJ8hM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I Hear good things about the epson ecotank line.

laser printers

The only inkjet ones that aren't scam are Epson Ecotank printers. Prepare to pay out the ass to buy the printer initially since the price of printer isn't subsidized by overpriced ink like with other printers.

Attached: et-3600_hero-left-hand-inset-logo_690x460.jpg (690x460, 144K)

$230 doesn't seem that bad for amazon.com/dp/B074V54TWR/
Granted yes it's 3 times the price of a "good" normie printer, but if you can get it all back with the ink savings and quicken the ROI if you only print black then it's probably worth it.

And maybe save more going used?

Entry-level Ecotank printers can't do basic shit like duplex printing that $80 "regular" printers can do. If you need those features, you will need to get higher-end ones, and those are quite expensive.

Who the hell buys inkjet printers these days?

I have an Epson Ecotank, it's great as long as you don't need a fast printer, last week I printed a full color 315 page report with color images on every page and it took around 3 hours, and the ink levels barely moved.
Considering I got it used with only ~300 pages printed for 70$ because the company wanted a multifunctional one (mine doesn't have an scanner) I'm pretty fucking satisfied.

According to a review this one does letter size duplex but not legal. Page size discrimination.

>if you only print black then it's probably worth it.
No it isn't.
If you only print black, then get a laser.
It's better in every conceivable way

It could be that Epson formulated the ink to favor slow evaporation (since there would be tons of ink in the cartridge) over fast drying when printing, so the printer has to wait for the ink to dry before moving on to the next page.

there are some epson ones with large refillable ink containers

they are a bit more than $200 but on the long run if you print a lot you'll have a lot of money, considering a $40 Color+blacks original bottles ink set lasts the same as 20 or 30 ink cartridge refills

there are also 3rd party ink bottles for $20 or less

we have 3 at the office for over 2 years now and they still work fine

Colors look terrible with third party ink.

3d printers

>weigh the "full" cartridge
>weight it empty
>extract ink and measure volume and weight to get density
>find lawyer
>file class-action suit
no? then shut up and keep on sucking big-inks caked-over nozzle.

> there are also 3rd party ink bottles for $20 or less
Always depends on whose 3rd party ink. Some manufacturers put really good ink in 3rd party tanks.

Most on eBay got imperfect ink though, but for documents at least it doesn't tend to matter much. Slightly different hue of red on your graph, big deal.

For photo printers, it's annoying.

Attached: et-7750.png (1500x691, 921K)

what is the model? Im looking for something that's not all-in-one because i already have a dedicated scanner and a dedicated fax machine

even if you print color, a laser is a better option. They can't do that fancy photo-paper shit, but if you want photo prints there's a dozen places that will print them better than anything you can buy and mail you the result for a few bucks.

It's a scam beause you just believe any shit they throw you.

Here's my printer: SP112, 20€ new.
I buy 1kg of laser printer toner for 30€.
I buy some ink cartriges chips for 5€/10.

Drill the cartrige, refill it, change the chip whenever it says empty.

They still have most advantages but color laser printers are really expensive.

> there's a dozen places that will print them better than anything you can buy
No. Home photo printers are actually great and combined with your ability to edit and reprint, they give better results.

This is the case even on a portable cartridge Canon Selphy CP1300, but also on many other ink jet printers that can do photos well.

And unfortunately either will cost you. The printing places aren't exactly free either if you want a reasonable quality print.

BTW if you print larger volumes and don't need extreme printing speeds, the Ecotank refillable ink jet printers are actually also cheaper than laser, even monochrome.

Ink is theoretically very cheap, it's only printer manufacturers that made consumables their business model...

>color laser printers are really expensive.

Over time it's still cheaper than ink but buying 4 cartridges certainly is expensive.
Make sure you buy a model with a relatively affordable 3rd party cartridge option.

>rarely print
>ink cartridges always dry up inbetween printing

They need to make, like, cheap one-off ink cartridges that just have enough ink for like 20 pages or something.

Is there an open source printer?
I would have though that there is one considering there is already open source pipe line for book scanning and making your machine from a kit.
Ive changed 5 printers in the past 10 years.
I mean come on now,im in constant fear that i wont find cartridges in few months or that the ones I have wont refill.
Its fucking stupid for such basic task.

Laser toner never goes bad, you know. You can not use a laser printer for a year and then turn it on and it'll be ready to print again.

You can refill toner cartridges too.
Toner is just plastic particles, so very cheap as well.

Plus your laser printer will survive for far longer.

The only good printer is the one you build yourself. I'm serious.

Firmware? Not that I know. But HP / Epson have been relatively Linux-friendly at least.

> im in constant fear that i wont find cartridges in few months or that the ones I have wont refill
Ecotank, eh. Help push the market in the correct direction. Or just use an older printer where you know you can refill or install a CISS.

Is there a kit I can buy?
I am serious.
An arduino should be enough to drive it.

>be me in junior high
>printing out low resolution gifs of naked sailor moon

good times

I like cocks!

>Canon Selphy
you get the fuck OUT right now
their ink is fine but GOD DAMN proprietary fucking paper that costs $50 for 15 fucking sheets

> You can refill toner cartridges too.
I guess. Unfortunately all of the laser printers relatives bought had equally shitty DRM chips on the toner, so it wasn't quite as easy there... but figures not all laser printer manufacturers do that.

> Plus your laser printer will survive for far longer
I'm pretty sure it will depend on the model and how they did / didn't manufacture it well, same as with ink jets?

It's not like either of these technologies should suffer a great amount of wear.

Brother and Epson Ink tank printers.

It is nowhere as expensive as you indicate. Costs ~$33/108 - about $0.3 per glossy waterproof coated print.

Not saying it's a great option for large volumes [better get ink tanks for that], but it's actually still better than having them printed and easy and cheap enough for low volumes... like if you print the occasional 15 photos at the yearly family reunion or something.

>I'm pretty sure it will depend on the model and how they did / didn't manufacture it well, same as with ink jets?
There's is a lot less that can go wrong with laser printers.

Even cheap lasers don't break easily.
Mostly the drum goes bad, which is replaceable in any good laser printer.

And you can get really well built lasers used from old office stock for pennies.
(just check if cartidges are refillable/cheap third party toner cartidges exist for it)

What do you think can go particularly wrong with ink jets?

There is like one additional motor for the print head or something, nothing that necessarily pushes up the failure rate by a lot.

Any third-party ink vendor you'd recommend? I gave up on third-party ink after one jammed up ink supply line on the printer, and I had to throw the printer away.

3ppp/peach has good ink. But it's not necessarily a guarantee against jamming a CISS ink supply line up - that sounds more like you had some evaporation issue in there? It is just good quality ink.

I'm also not sure it's the cheapest supplier possible, it's just what a consumer magazine lab tested as good.

Attached: et-14000.jpg (1500x1061, 166K)

tl;dr: you're right

youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

It wasn't continuous ink, just regular cartridge. They fucked up the ink formulation and managed to jam up the ink tube inside the printer.

More complex mechanics, complex printheads that need to be self-cleaning, fluids and clogging, etc..

I went back to doing the research and Canon toned down the prices by $15. I have an old CP900 White from 2013, and ink/paper packs were limited and usually $45.

I just wanted a personal 4x6 photo printer but I didn't do enough research at the time and tested this out. When I realized the printouts were much higher quality than I wanted, this thing ended up being a paperweight.

Sorry for lashing out, I had bad hindsight on a thing like this and I didn't realize this was a device that you're supposed to monetize with your interests rather than keep it personal.

is there already a virgin inkjet vs chad laser image?

I wanna suck cocks!

Tell us something we don't know.

ink-jet technology is BY DESIGN inefficient and used to drive a business model that profits off the sale of overpriced consumables

>the ubermencsh thermal printer
>the demiurge solid ink printer

Can confirm, we use the thing constantly, still over half of the black ink is left.

We bought it around 8 months ago, brilliant investment, ink is cheap too

But they're all inferior to laser

>carcinogenic toner vs ink blocks made from vegetable oils you can literally eat
fuck off tonershill

>If you only print black, then get a laser.

If you only print text, get a laser, if you print any image, get ink
I personally like papercraft, and the cost of a good color printer is justified even at the retarded ink costs just because of that

laser, I have a brother printer as I was hoping I could to black and white images, but its really only able to do text, images it shits itself.

also, if you do professional photos, its entirely possible for the cost of printing one session to cost more then getting a pro printer. thse printers wont dick you nearly as hard on ink but they still dick you because they do use higher quality ink, though i am talking about a 1000$ printer when I say pro.

with color laser, you are not going to get the same quality as you do from ink, know what you are getting into before you make a buy because shit is expensive.

>laser, I have a brother printer as I was hoping I could to black and white images, but its really only able to do text, images it shits itself.
My lexmark prints images just fine.

cheap 100$ brother wireless one here.

>with color laser, you are not going to get the same quality as you do from ink,
The fuck are you talking about?
They have higher resolution, accuracy, and better saturation than inkjets.

used 20$ Lexmark with ethernet and parallel port here

the way they print out is usually duller than ink.

1. Search dirt cheap printer cartridge fakes for like 1$ or so.
2. Search for the printers they fit and take the cheapest one.
3. Profit?

For example I have did the same. Found a 15€ for 15 cartridges offer for Epson T123X cartridges and bought one of the million fitting printers with network function for 5€ used.

Refurbed HP LaserJets. Those niggers will run for a decade and you can buy 12000 page carts for ~$50.

How expensive are those photo printers where you get to choose the size (up to a poster) and the paper just rolls in?

oh lets see here

one the printer head was fucked
it then fucked itself shortly after
another had ink that just flowed through it, so it caused a massive mess
another had the ink dry all the time because it left just enough exposed to be a problem
another one would fry the cip when putting cartridges in.

so fucking many printers to the point you just buy the cheapest one, and toss it and buy the cheapest one again rather then replace the cartridges because by the second or third replacement cartridge the thing is fucked anyway.

toner is less easy to replace and so easy to fuck up in many cases that an eco tank would make sense just for ease of replacing the blacks.

name something that doesn't cause cancer

You're probably doing something wrong with the printer profiles, or need to use different paper.
The only advantage inkjets have over lasers with colors are better color transitions, especially if it's a 6 color inkjet (afaik lasers are CMYK only)

dont have access to color laser anymore, but when I printed things off with one they were always duller then ink, if I had to buy a printer now, I would go ink tank and just print off a test image every day to make sure shit doesn't dry.

There is a DIY inkjet printer tutorial online.

Laser printers. In most you can reload the cartridge 4-5 times and they work via ethernet too, you can send them the file on the network even with fucking linux lol.

buy some squid and harvest their ink regularly

Get a daisywheel.
youtu.be/S_X87H8UPvs?t=16

It's all relative risk. Laser printer fumes are relatively high risk especially if you sit close to the printer and print multiple times a day.

No.
youtube.com/watch?v=pQGtucrJ8hM

Stop buying inkjets.

Laser printers are too big

Not all.

Didn't some HP printers actually print in intentionally poor quality when third party ink was detected?

If you don't need color, a brother Lazer is hands down the best value

Inkjets are scam

Go get inkjet and buy toner for cheap

Attached: kyocera-mita-toner-powder-500x500.jpg?1507886904.jpg (480x480, 30K)

Brother laser beam.

Seriously. No bullshit.

>owning a printer
How often do you guys actually print things? I just go to the local print shop the two times a year I need to print something.

i got a dell e525w for $80 and it's great

My Brother LC103 carts cost 10 dollars each and last for months.

Laser printers are the best way to go, almost everything about them is better and can even get a good used one and know it will work fine

why isn't there a laser printer that just scorches the surface a little to blacken it?

no ink, only paper, and a toasty smell.

Lightscribe, anyone?

herro, I have submitted for your perusal my doctoral thesis, completely inscribed on the back of old cds.

It's the shipping container in the parking lot.

Get an old dot-matrix printer.

Brother inkjet print quality is garbage though. Even B/W document print quality is shit with some Brother inkjets.