Installing Gentoo: Day1

> T420 Memepad just arrived
> Time to install Gentoo and become a true Jow Forumsentleman
> Download Minimal CD
> dd into USB
> Boot that shit
> Letsgo.jpg

Attached: IMG_20180418_191230.jpg (4608x2013, 1.64M)

I bet OP will never get past disk partitioning

I am doing wifi now

Status ?

bump

gentoo livestream

Still setting up Wifi

stream it so we can help you out, or i'll go start my own gentoo thread

Wifi done. Easy with net-setup

I can' stream. No cameras sorry

Just so you know, wifi won't work out of the box when you boot into the installed environment the first time. Make sure you've got a hard wire as a backup.

You already fucked up, get a T520.

I should add, that's even after you've configured it and all that jazz that the guide has you do.

I have it as backup but I cannot have wired connection on my room. Maybe I should have enabled the SSH server no work on this remotely.

The guide includes an optional part about SSH, you should be good for now

Whats the advantage of using parted over something like cfdisk to partion the disk?

So guys I am having a bit of trouble downloading the tarball. I should go for the multilib stage 3 tarball right? I am using the links browser from the command line btw.

rekt

you don't have a phone?

stream it or post on IRC constant screencaps uploaded to imguri. open ur own channel on freenode

Get the multilib. You might as well.

How did THAT take an hour?

Also you don't actually need to force yourself not to run xorg and chromium or firefox during the install.

Chrooted into environment. Now I need to get the wifi working again..

I was having dinner, jesus

Thinkpads run Debian stable without an issue, if you are against systemd you can try Devuan a fork of it.

I have other laptops with other shit installed. I wanted to try out gentoo cause I actuall want to learn about this stuff

keep us posted. First time installing it? godspeed

Cant get the internet back on the new environment. I am with cable

Did you forget to copy /etc/resolv.conf?

literally the easiest shit ever
It's funny how people make this seem hard as shit, but disk partitioning is the simplest thing ever

I did that. I figured I must have fucked up at some point so now I am restarting the thing. I am installing gentoo via ssh and the host computer is connected with ethernet. No fucking wifi this time

>Download Minimal CD
Mistake right there.
I always install Funtoo from Ubuntu iso to have a working DE.

Ok I re-did the whole thing and now I have internet after chroot

How do I know if I need the 13.1 or 17.0 profile?

He can make sure to install the tools necessary to connect in the last stage(s) of the installation while chrooted in the new environment

What tarball did you use?

you need 17.0, 13.0 is outdated. make sure to select the desktop profile if you want a desktop.

Yeah I used 17 with desktop

Ok guys going to bed now. I am midway trough the installing gentoo basesystem. tomorrow I will start by the timezonestuff