Monitor?

I am about to pull the trigger on the ASUS MG279Q. Am I making a mistake? I do sit on gtx 1080.

I'm looking for image quality (browsing, photos, colors, etc); i don't do much gaming.

And also, seeing that this is a 2k monitor and i will be primarily using it for web browsing, is it not too awkward resolution? Won't the text be too small?

Attached: 24-236-466-08.jpg (640x480, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/483264/agon_ag322qcx_315_led_monitor
amazon.com/Soyo-DYLM1986-19-inch-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B000NKCH2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524103380&sr=8-1&keywords=soyo monitor
amazon.com/ASUS-VX24AH-23-8-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B01D4TCCZ4/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1524103686&sr=1-12&keywords=monitor&refinements=p_89:Asus,p_36:1253507011
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can afford a 4k monitor, but that will be ridiculously tiny for web browsing and i don't wanna have to rely on scaling and zooming.

Scaling on 4k ain't so bad

>is it not too awkward resolution? Won't the text be too small?

it's 1440p, there is no issue with 1440p at 27", it basically looks like a 20" 1080p screen.

So if you're used to 24" 1080p it will be crisper and text will only be slightly smaller size.

The only other concern about it is that I see a ton of feedback mentioning horrible backlight bleeding on this monitor. Is it really that bad that i should consider another monitor?

Good luck with panel lottery, otherwise should be a nice monitor.

back light bleed is an issue if you're going to be doing a lot of use in a dark room.

Especially if you plan on using it for movie watching.

Dark scenes in movies when being watched in a dark room just look washed out and shitty on those IPS panels.

If you want a media watching monitor i'd recommend a VA panel for the increased contrast ratio.

I can afford a monitor upto $1000. I want the least gayming design. Most quality/value.

No 4k because it's mostly for my desk web browsing and I don't wanna have to scale.

>No 4k because it's mostly for my desk web browsing and I don't wanna have to scale.
That's a function of size

Don't want to scale with 4k? Get a large panel.

Also, what is the primary use? If it's just web browsing, you have no need to spend $1000 on a monitor. If it's for movie/TV/anime watching, then you'll want to look at VA panels for better black levels and contrast ratio.
If you're looking for color accuracy and color space, get IPS.

It's mostly gonna be web browsing sitting at the desk just 2 feet from the screen. I want a quality panel for the true-ness of colors and pics. No pixels grid, no graininess, etc.

If you don't want to see pixels, but you're unwilling to scale, you're a retard.

4k would give a very high pixel density so you don't see individual pixels. You have to GUI scale to read text, but it's still 4x the pixel density of 1080p at the same panel size.

27" 4k IPS is probably your best bet.

1440p IPS if you're a pussy.

>4k

what a retard

Attached: 8k.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

No reason to get a 144hz monitor and put up with that panel lottery if you don't play games. Get a Dell UltraSharp.

There is no way I will choose to upscale default gui and interfaces. Now ay do I choos eto have to zoom each fucking time.

>Get a Dell UltraSharp
Actually considering this now.

U2715H ?

>buying a monitor that is 3+ years old

I mean if you're interested in being a cuck i guess.

which one then

32UK950-W

Brand new type of IPS panel with increased contrast ratio

>$1,200 USD

Attached: trig.png (231x268, 106K)

>32UK950-W

It's a 4K. I don't wanna zoom every fucking time.

they were showing off a 27" version at CES.

I'd expect it to be around $1000.

>he doesn't understand how resolution, screen size, and scaling works.

Alright then enjoy buying shitty several year old tech.

goddamnit i'm not an oligarch. 2-3 year old monitor is fine for me. plus it has had enough time for feedback and reviews.

explain then how will i use 4k monitor from 2 feet without having to manually scale?

manually rescaling and upscaling is bothering my autism

why do i need 4k if i do little gayming?

i need big enough text and image quality

>explain then how will i use 4k monitor from 2 feet without having to manually scale?
>
>manually rescaling and upscaling is bothering my autism
What the fuck are you smoking?

You set scaling in windows you dumb cunt, if it's 27" 4k you scale to 150% (1440p equivalent)

If you're at 32" you scale to 125% (1620p equivalent)

Since you sit 2 feet away you can't get away without scaling and 4k since 4k without scaling requires 36-45" screen size, and the optimal viewing distance for that size and 4k is about 2.5-3feet.

....GUI scaling isn't like zooming in with your web browser.

You set the GUI scale in windows and it automatically scales everything to the proper size, there is "manual" scaling.

yeah nah i'm going with 2k and 27"

which one

>being retarded

Kill yourself and stop posting now

2K is a perfectly good resolution at that size. That thing's a gaming monitor though, so you're probably paying more than you need to.

OK which 4k for the best quality value? preferably no gaming designs

4k at 27" looks identical to 2k at 27" with scaling, but you have 1 and a half times the pixel density, so your image quality is improved since you have more pixels in the same screen size.

my budget is max $900 usd

PB27UQ if you still want to go with ASUS.

but doesn't the scaling distort the original look of the interface, of everything?

LG 27UD68-P

>PB27UQ
not available in the canada

Generally no, not anymore. A few years ago it wasn't too uncommon, but these days most laptops that are higher end are using 4k panels and they ALL use GUI scaling and they look fine.

Same with desktops, GUI scaling is simply better in 2018 than what we had 5 years ago.

>LG 27UD68-P
Cool considering this one. What else?

Dell has one, U2718Q

That and it's also a much higher resolution. You can even run a 4K monitor at a 2K resolution and it looks absolutely perfect, whereas 5 years ago the equivalent scaling would have looked like utter dogshit.

LG is likely releasing a new 27" model this summer or fall (depends if it gets delayed)

Just a heads up. It'll probably be expensive though, $800-1000.

Do I also have to buy a special connector for a 4k monitor?

Attached: 81Hc7gi6DTL._SL1500_.jpg (1141x1500, 150K)

It comes with HDMI to HDMI and Displayport to Displayport cables. Displayport has more bandwidth and usually what I recommend.

The larger 32" and 43" have USB type-C as well as HDMI and Displayport.

USB Type-C supports displayport alternate modes, but it's generally only used for Macbooks at the moment.

So the tldr, you only need to buy a new cable if your GPU doesn't have HDMI 2.0 ports, or a displayport 1.2 port.

cool thx!

i think i'm gonna buy the LG 27UD68P-B (just from another merchant)

Attached: Screenshot-2018-4-18 LG 27UD68P-B 27 Screen LED-Lit Monitor, Black Amazon ca Electronics.png (1105x551, 284K)

I have the 43" version and can recommend the LG monitors in general.

Though I wasn't a big fan of the stand so I ended up wall mounting mine.

yup yup, really not a fan of that stand

>2k monitor and i will be primarily using it for web browsing, is it not too awkward resolution? Won't the text be too small?
nigga, i'm perfectly fine with my 24" 1440p at 3 feet.

What about 32" 4k under $900?

Yeah, wall mount or desk arm mount or something is what i'd recommend.

The 43" is too large for a desk mount, but the 27" model is just the right size for that.

LG 32UD59-B
LG 32UD99-W
Acer ET322QK
ViewSonic VP3268-4K

alright i think i'm gonna buy the 27UD68P-B

27 inch, IPS, G sync, 144hz at 1440p with a 4 ms response time, for 500 dollars. This monitor has made me a fan of Acer's monitors. Next to it I have an Asus PG27AQ which has made me despise Asus.

Attached: 81HgqbnWr4L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1217, 117K)

>PG27AQ
Shoulda waited for the PG27UQ, only 3x the cost.

Alright, so the murdered GPU market and the promise of upcoming better monitor tech has put me off on going all in on a supermonitor (and yes I know putting off the big monitor purchase because of looking ahead is an endless cycle)
However I at least want an in-between upgrade to tide me over until I do finally pull the trigger on something big, and I've really only slimmed down the "must-haves" to 27 inch and 1440p - and probably IPS.

My question is, is 144hz a truly lifechanging thing that I must have?
If it factors into the answer, I'll be on a 970 for the foreseeable future. I use it for the usual things - browsing and a regular amount of gaming, nothing competitive.

About six times the cost actually.

Attached: sweat.png (500x646, 1.23M)

>My question is, is 144hz a truly lifechanging thing that I must have?
Yes, the issue is once you have it you can't go back

>Once you have it you can't go back
This. I'm desperate for the next generation of GPUs just to maintain those high frame rates in most of the shit I play.

I was more going by the current price of the PQ27AQ on newegg ($900)

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't pay that much for it. Piece of shit isn't worth that much.

That's what I was afraid of, because when you add 144hz that narrows the search down immensely and pretty much all the way down to the big time purchase I'm hoping to put off

Not to mention, welcome to the panel lottery, god speed.

Where's this 500 dollars you speak of?
I've basically narrowed down my preference of those monitors from viewsonic (which hasnt been in stock in decades) > asus > acer. But a 200+ savings would probably make me skip down to #3 and enter the lottery

That's what I'm REALLY afraid of. Coming from an old TN I have 0 real life experience with backlight bleeding, and am afraid that even if I won the lottery harder than anyone else and had the absolute minimum backlight bleed, it will manage to annoy me.

what goes Jow Forums thing of the AOC AG322QCX?

microcenter.com/product/483264/agon_ag322qcx_315_led_monitor

it's the only monitor which fills the 32" 1440p 144hz criteria. currently playing and watching content on a 32" Samsung LED tv i bought about 3 years ago for my consoles before i upgraded my pc. it's a good tv with brilliant picture quality but it has like 10-15 m/s input lag which i can definitely feel compared to my old TN monitor.
I cant go anything less than 32" since i'm so used to it. any opinions on this AOC monitor or alternatives? i have a GTX1070

I got lucky and got one from costco when they were getting rid of them. I believe newegg might have it on sale with code EMCPTEW32 for 550.

Who has the best ips panels? I tend to mainly look at Dell and LG monitors, sometimes Samsung or HP. I can't take Acer and ASUS seriously for some reason.
Also, are OLED panels or anything similar coming to monitors anytime soon? Talking about

What about this 4k one? It's only 60 mhz but who cares if you don't do multiplayer?

It's a decent monitor for the price, but it's panel lottery, and most of them have some sort of "issue"

Generally with uniformity, which is a problem with pretty much all curved displays at the moment. Brightness and color uniformity across the panel is simply not great.

>Also, are OLED panels or anything similar coming to monitors anytime soon? Talking about

>A 60Hz display, for example, will never have a visible input lag below 16.67ms, because that’s the amount of time which passes from one refresh to the next.

16ms delay seams way too long even for campaign mode, no?

Screen tearing is a huge issue with my gtx 1080, i always have to set VSYNC on.

>Brightness and color uniformity across the panel is simply not great.
how perceivable is this in practice? do you think it will be a game ruining experience similar to the problems some IPS panels have with backlight bleed, or is it something which is only perceivable in specific conditions?
what i'm really seeking is that 1440p 144hz upgrade and i suppose if the color uniformity is distracting outside of game i.e. movies then i guess i could still keep my old tv around. that kinda defeats the purpose of having a 32" monitor as a replacement though.
it's a tough decision.

I paid the gysnc tax and it removed all screen tearing.

on a non-gsync monitor? that's weird because i tried out a friends benq xl2411 paired with his gtx 970 and i didn't experience any in the few games i played like witcher 3, counter strike and pubg.
maybe it's a panel specific thing?
you could always try using nvidia fastsync in the nvidia control panel. it's supposed to remove all tearing but at a much smaller lag penalty compared to vsync.

what about the Samsung UH750 ?

Attached: 81wc8kASTpL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 152K)

It honestly depends on the panel, and the person.

Some people are totally fine with it, some people hate it.

I have a cheap IPS LG and I can barely notice any backlight bleeding even when I look for it.
Did I get lucky or am I just used to having poorfag monitors

>UH750
>TN panel

I would avoid TN at 28" it's basically at the limit of a TN panel simply because the color shift on that type of panel.

It's probably fine, but you can get VA or IPS panels from others for the same price.

30 hz max at 4k

Yes you do.
Buy this one amazon.com/Soyo-DYLM1986-19-inch-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B000NKCH2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524103380&sr=8-1&keywords=soyo monitor

Could be a bit of column A and a bit of column B.

I have a "cheap" LG IPS as well ($550, but 43" 4k), and it has very very minimal backlight bleed.

But it can also depend on your lighting conditions where you're using it.

Attached: 2018-03-12 19.00.00.jpg (4032x2268, 1.47M)

>soyo

That spik song is driving me mad. get your foreign shit out of my top 40 radio.

CRT are best monitors. I use a Philips 109b6 I have 3 of them. cost me 20$ each.

No, HDMI 2 and the display port Input support 60hz at 4k. But HDMI 1 is 30hz max.

only shows in dark scenes and/or if you're playing in a dark room. you probably get used to it after a while anyway so it becomes less of an issue.
my laptop has an IPS screen and there is some pretty bad backlight bleed when in dark scenes however i find i much less of an irritation now because i've become used to it.
honestly at the end of the day, everyone seeks perfection but in reality they would be just fine with much less. unless you're a serious content creator or movie watcher you would be fine with the vast majority of decent monitors out there.

You dick. I had written the Predator off completely on my list and was going to wait out a price drop on the others but I think I might pull the trigger here.

>spik
Ok, ok, don't get mad "histheric-boy", this is a better one

amazon.com/ASUS-VX24AH-23-8-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B01D4TCCZ4/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1524103686&sr=1-12&keywords=monitor&refinements=p_89:Asus,p_36:1253507011

100% chinise :)

I can't recommend it enough. The orange legs are retarded, but the monitor itself is perfection.

I remember running into a lot of stuff in reviews to deter me from it the last time I saw it on sale because I'm always looking for a way to not spend money.
The retard legs was for sure one, I think the fact that the bezels are so thin that I feel like they're not protected was another, and something along the lines of them doing something to the panels to make them seem a bit more washed out in order to make BLB less obvious (though I think I wouldn't mind that)

Is this better or worse than the ?

worse

>tfw no qt3.14 amazon price match
first big purchase and my memey amazon credit card is going to be useless

It's a ~€150 24" 1080p monitor used in a dark room, mainly for work, basic media consumption and internet browsing, so nothing that requires a fancy monitor.
I can't show it to you without it looking really bad because my phone's cameras seem to pick up more light than my eyes can, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people on here say IPS panels are.
Guess I'll only be able to judge when I upgrade to a superior panel technology though.

i'm using the XB321HK with a 1080ti and it looks incredible, i've not had any issues with scaling
the only downside is that it's limited to 60hz

the gayming design looks tacky af

What's a top tier gaming monitor at 32" and 4k, budget $1,500 ?

Attached: macfag.jpg (2048x1536, 800K)

Stock depleted while it sat in my cart and I looked for reasons not to get it
the wait continues

>buying a 16:9 aspect ratio
I shiggy diggy