Why do people still buy calculators?

Why do people still buy calculators?

Attached: IMG_1505377594365.jpg (540x960, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6/2(2+1)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2016/08/31/what-is-6÷212-the-correct-answer-explained/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unlike the phone, that calculator gave the only correct answer.

Not really

Nice bait faggot. Now fuck off

m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6/2(2+1)

>m.
out phone shit

The calculator bugs out when you type an operation incorrectly, should be 6/2*(2+1)

Because programmable calculators are forbidden at exams, let alone smartphones.

I work at a college, most students just use their phones (the shitty built-in calculator, not even wolfram alpha or anything similar).
Which is not the brightest idea, since you can get a good Casio for ~$15 that does anything you'd need to do in undergrad, whereas phone calculators usually suck balls (limited functions and features, distracting, etc).

Most students say it is because calculators "have too many buttons".

I hate this trend of trying to get phones to do everything. Though, smartphones certainly could fit the bill as all-in-one PDA if the OS's they run weren't so gimped (Android and IOS are abominations)-- lord knows they have the specs for it. It's just silly that 4GBs of RAM, 4K screens, all this processing power...is used to do something that can be done on a far simpler machine that runs on a button cell.

Social media was a mistake. Normies would have never bothered with "smartphones" and ruined portable computing if not for social media.

Attached: بخبمبميميبمم.png (1274x1274, 109K)

>I hate this trend of trying to get phones to do everything.

heh okay grandpa ill bring you some tea in a minute.

I mainly hate the controls. Swiping your greasy fingers across a flat surface without any touch feedback is just... ridiculous. I make so many mistakes all the time. Nothing can replace physical buttons.

Implicit multiplication has higher priority than explicit multiplication.

>implicit multiplication...explicit multiplication
okay then
following pemdas we start with adding our parentheses (2+1) which gives us three. this simplifies to 6/2(3)
following pemdas we divide 6 by 2, which gives us 3(3), which is 9
eat a cock i shouldnt have to explain elementary-level arithmetic to you

Nice bait

6 is on another dimension until everything on the right hand side of the °/• is finished calculating

Attached: brainlet.png (621x702, 56K)

unfortunately thats not how universally accepted mathematics works

Multiplication comes before division anyways so no matter how you spin your fucked up logic you're still wrong

how old are you exactly? thats not how pemdas works
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication/Division (whichever comes first)
Addition/Subtraction (whichever comes first)
All operations are read left to right, with multi/div taking priority over add/sub

>lolpemdas
6-2+3
following pemdas we add 2 and 3 which gives us 5
following pemdas we subtract 5 from 6 which is 1
following pemdas yo aunt sally sucks cocks

Attached: calculate me senpai.jpg (600x800, 49K)

The calculator should automatically know

following pemdas youd actually do 6-2 first since that comes first in the problem, giving you 4+3, leaving you with 7
jesus fucking christ how do you guys make it through life without understanding the basic order of operations all modern mathematics are based off or

of*

>following pemdas we divide 6 by 2
that's where you're wrong kiddo
Following pemdas, you would then multiply 2(3) because the three is in parenthesis and you have to completely remove them before you move on with pemdas.
t. Someone who passed algebra 1

Attached: aN9EmyC.png (1000x700, 101K)

Attached: still_wrong_kiddo.jpg (600x600, 57K)

PEMDAS is not a theorem or axiom, it's merely a convention. Thinking it is of fundamental importance to mathematics is silly

You tards just get so gummed up about it because elementary school mneumonics are the highest math you've ever seen and have major dunning-kruger effect

>6-2+3
Where did you get that plus sign from? Because I don't see it in the problem. Did you even finish elementary school? Embarrassing.

I haven't had a calculator of any kind aside from my desktop app and the one on my phone in over 12 years probably. I also rarely use math above a middle school level.

different example, l2read

2 is outside the parens. You only resolve the insides of the parens first, which is simply 3.

Either the phone is correct, or both are correct.

Phone is correct if you're following PEMDAS.

Both are correct if you admit PEMDAS is bullshit.

okay then, so it would be instead simplified to 6/2*3, where you would divide 6 by 2 then multiply by 3, giving you 9
parentheses is used for convenience to make it readable, the parenthesis are not literal (no matter how retarded that sounds) and are already cleared when you add 2 and 1
an extremely important convention
"muh if it isnt a theorem it isnt real" doesnt apply to pemdas because its universally agreed upon

patrician's answer is actually .6

What the fuck? PEMDAS and BEDMAS should yield this:
6 ÷ 2 (2 + 1)
=6 ÷ 2 (3)
=6 ÷ 6
=1

I have phone, calculator, and computer calculators open when studying and going over things, I noticed that the physical calculator can be far more convenient than the cellphone, and nowhere near convenient as the computer.

Although, for most intended purposes I realized that using computer calculators and physical paper was my better combination.

Perhaps a smart scanner application for notes with calculator/spreedsheet option is the way, or should be the way to go.

Also, keeping a calculator around is a quick way to just reach out to do a quick calculation.

All things considered, cellphone calculator was the most useless to me, except when I am somewhere where I have neither a laptop nor a calculator.

Which reminds me, alot of apps like Shasam are only phone apps and dont have computer program equivalents, which makes the cellphone a necessary evil.

Conclussion, I cannot escape the cellphone, but I can leave the calculator behind.

You did PEMDAS wrong. You do the division then the multiplication. If you argue otherwise, then you don't understand the fundamentals of math and the meaning of PEMDAS.

>its universally agreed upon
no, a situationally agreed-upon convention for mathematical expression parsing by humans is not "universal". It is universal in your elementary school homeroom, perhaps.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
>Similarly, there can be ambiguity in the use of the slash symbol / in expressions such as 1/2x.[6] If one rewrites this expression as 1 ÷ 2x and then interprets the division symbol as indicating multiplication by the reciprocal, this becomes:

> 1 ÷ 2 × x = 1 × ½ × x = ½ × x.

>With this interpretation 1 ÷ 2x is equal to (1 ÷ 2)x.[1][7] However, in some of the academic literature, multiplication denoted by juxtaposition (also known as implied multiplication) is interpreted as having higher precedence than division, so that 1 ÷ 2x equals 1 ÷ (2x), not (1 ÷ 2)x. For example, the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash,[8] and this is also the convention observed in prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics.[nb 1]
huh
That's some conventions I haven't heard of.
I am happy to discover, though, one less pair of parens to input.

Attached: 1519987059001.jpg (872x1072, 244K)

mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2016/08/31/what-is-6÷212-the-correct-answer-explained/

nigger everywhere you go where you have to face retardedly structured problems like the one in the overused op pic and pemdas is used all the time beyond the hypothetical elementary school you keep on bringing up

>=6 ÷ 2 (3)
>=6 ÷ 6
retard

Uhh, shouldn't PEMDAS solve multiplication before division? I mean it's right there in the acronym, but I'm not american so I really don't know.

>PEMDAS
>MD
>Multiplication, then division
K.

BEDMAS > *

>t. Someone who passed algebra 1
how?

Multiplication and division are in the same paring of priority, you just solve them left to right, same as you would addition and subtraction.
see

What about bedmas ?

kys

Attached: 1493729471020.jpg (578x171, 24K)

ITT: reasons you can't trust a calculator because idiots programs them

Attached: what_if_your_wife_orbits_my_dick.jpg (237x212, 16K)

thanks f a m

Jesus, americans and their words for memorization only seem to ruin their basic math skills later on. Pretty sure if you'd ask any middle school kid, they'd know the correct order of operations.
Right answers here:

Why is everyone ignoring ? It's the reason for the result and is actually noted in the manuals for Casio calculators. Not to mention one-liners like that are bait and you should use parentheses to specify to the calculator the order the problem is written in.

If PEMDAS is bullshit, then you need parenthesis around every fucking operation in order to represent it without ambiguity.

>All the literal retards in this thread who don't know elementary school math
Multiplication and division have same priority

Attached: brainlet.jpg (645x729, 48K)

This desu.

Attached: help-the-poor-calculator-out.png (1030x269, 12K)

Morale of the thread: buy RPN calcualtors and ther wouldn't be such a problem.

Attached: casio fx-570ES manual, page e-66.png (439x541, 53K)

>specify to the calculator the order the problem is written in
How about my calculator interprets it the nnormal, conventional, non-retarded, non-American way?

This is precisely why pemdas babies rage about this particular troll-problem. They don't understand ambiguity or that there are different conventions in higher-level math.

This sort of stuff is also why there is a trend to recommend not using an obelus for division

Multiplication and division are the same thing, it's just the values of the right operand is inverted. Same thing with addition and subtraction.

Then you get 1.

the page before
Given that, calculator seems to interpret the multiplication with parens after as a function with parens, so it bumps the multiplication in priority sequence.

Attached: casio fx-570ES manual, page e-65.png (431x423, 32K)

The real world is not the same as your elementary school math class.

>Parentheses
>Exponents
>Implicit Multiplication : 1/2πi ∮f(z)dz is ∮f(z)dz/(2πi) and not ½πi ∮f(z)dz
>Multiplication/Division (whichever comes first)
>Addition/Subtraction (whichever comes first)

>All operations besides exponentiation are read left to right, exponentiation is read right to left x^y^z is x^(y^z) and not x^(y*z)

The only calculators ITT which gave result 9 were American.
Real world uses vertical fractions instead of one-line signs of division.

Next calculator meme:
√2 * √2

Attached: I fear gookmoot will filter so in advance an attention grabber.png (178x46, 13K)

I can't tell if you retards really think 1 is the correct answer or you're just baiting.
Maybe that makes me the retard.

>Real world uses vertical fractions instead of one-line signs of division.

There's no $\LaTeX$ on Jow Forums

The problem I see with that notation is that how do you know where it stops?

What do (did) they mean when they write 6÷2+3?
>6/(2+3) or
>6/2+3
This is probably why that notation died out.

What's the point of a non-graphing calculator with calculus buttons? It's much worse for learning compared to using graphs, yet you still couldn't use it in an exam that prohibits analytical calculus features. If the exam does /not/ prohibit those features, it's very unlikely to prohibit a graphing calculator.

The exam calculator tiers are
>none
>four-function
>scientific (no CAS, no calculus)
>graphing (also implies programmability), no QWERTY keyboard
>full keyboard

all of u nerds lol

I've been using my HP48GX for decades. It's like an extension of my brain.

Attached: columb7a.jpg (374x258, 71K)

Parenthesis are simplified FULLY before moving on.

6/2(2+1)
6/2(3)
6/6

Hey I got that casio in the right. Shit is great. Used it a lot during my university years and that shti still works. Didn't even change the battery and I finished my degree in like 2011.

It's easier to do this:
6/2(2+1)
6/2(3)
18/2

>FULLY
you clearly don't know what that means

The question is poorly written, most likely on purpose. The technically correct answer is 9. The answer most likely intended by whoever wrote it down (if we generously assume they weren't deliberately attempting to confuse people) is 1.

>the calculator should be programmed to output the "correct answer" for ambiguous equations

a levels allow graphing calculators

underage high school kid detected

No, the correct answer is 1. Bracketed multiplication takes precedence over normal multiplication.

oh my fucking god do you do this all the time
3(1+2+3+4+5) to you is 3+6+9+...

what a fucking retard

distributive property is the end all for problems that are set up shitly like this one
how about you stop typing like you're a 14 year old girl

oops meant for

the proper order is
6/2(2+1)
6/2(3)
3(3)

Not ambiguous if literally everyone knows to times anything in brackets by default if there's no symbol

Not usually. It's a (sub-)convention used by some physics journals for convenience. The more widely understood order of operations makes no such distinction.

Its almost irrelevant, because all notation and convention are intended to aid understanding of the maths, not obfuscate it. Walk up to any reasonable person, of any level of education and experience, and ask them to evaluate this expression. They won't go by the custom rules of any particular journal, because they aren't reading an article in that journal. They'll just frown, and ask you if you mean (6/2)*3 or 6/(2*3).

Academic purposes, specifically getting tested. It's much harder to cheat on a calculator (takes a lot of preparation) than it is to cheat with an Internet connected mobile device.

>6 ÷ 2 ( 2 + 1)
>6 ÷ 2 (3)
>3 (3)
>9

dumb fucks

Because it ain't /sci/, 6/2(2+1) notation would cause an error in most programming languages.
And 6/2*(2+1) would give 9.

I was not sure about if I should simplify the fraction before multiplying everything out, so I just went with that other thing. I don't if it really makes a difference whether mult. or dividing have precedence between them.

I agree with your second paragraph.

Attached: IMG-20180330-WA0017.jpg (2448x3264, 488K)

Nice troll but 2(2+1) counts as one term just like the 6 is one term.6 divided by itself is one.

t. mathlet

b x c is 1/b + 1/c
also only people in preschool use ÷

Attached: 1523548859752.jpg (960x960, 93K)

Yeah and look at the initial assumption it makes.

6(2+1)/2 != 6/2(2+1) because 9 != 6

Its not rocket science.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-18_21-10-27.png (1280x1024, 73K)

1/(1/b +1/c)

>multiply or divide
nice try

Attached: pemdas.png (1400x509, 37K)

Incorrect.

Attached: 2013-01-07-trivia-theft.png (500x738, 83K)