How do i improve my programming and problem-solving skills without relying too much or having to do an internet search?

how do i improve my programming and problem-solving skills without relying too much or having to do an internet search?

Attached: rgvfPWQx.jpg (1033x798, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everyone uses the internet to help program.

study.start()

Read documentation first. For instance if you don't know how to open a file, read about file i/o in whatever language you're using. If you don't want to look up information then you need to have already learned the information.

learn to solve problems BY SOLVING PROBLEMS. learn to write code by WRITING CODE.

STEP 1.) DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTATION FOR [LANGUAGE]
STEP 2.) TURN OFF INTERNET
STEP 3.) GRIND [LANGUAGE] DOCUMENTATION FOR 6 MONTHS
STEP 4.) REMEMBER THAT IM HOLDING SHIFT FOR THIS. CAPSLOCK IS FOR PUSSIES.
STEP 5.) Grats bro, you now understand (to some degree) the language
STEP 6.) FIND AN OPEN SOURCE PROJECT AND CONTRIBUTE.

tl;dr: You learn by doing, you fucking half-wit pajeet double nigger.

NOW GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE.

im not a pajeet, but you wont probably see the difference in regards to programming habits and the quality of education i received. that i wont deny. im a flip slum-dweller btw.

not OP but I disagree. Programming has been around longer than the internet. It would be interesting to know how programmers managed without needing to be online.

I sometimes wonder if our dependence on the bountiful stock of information has actually made us worse programmers

I am not sure about worse but we miss out on a key element of bootstrapping into whatever programming language we work in.

In college, I saw a lot of people struggling to even set up their IDEs to complete course assignments.

I've started installing the -doc packages for libraries I use so I can refer to the man page.

My internet is sometimes intermittent and slow. I'm also putting more effort into not relying on the internet to behave as an extension of my HDD.

As an internet addict, this makes sense.

Itt people who think reading documentation teaches problem solving.
Practice them. Do the released AP freewrite questions, try codingbat and finish ALL of it.

Handbooks.

I was born in a poor family. I inherited a PC from the 80s that came with the diskettes and a textbook that outlined everything from the OS installation to how the included scripting+programming languages worked.

Before that I used encyclopedias for homework too. A search engine to me is just that, a search engine. Where it would take me maybe 2 minutes to find something in a physical encyclopedia set, I can scan the entirety of public text in 2 seconds now. But again the only difference is search time and automatic updates of the content.

Even for things like asking someone else for help, we had clubs and phones for that.

Even today you see people with printed out specsheets, programming language books, etc. that, if used for reference, are no different that just Googling it.

Check out the FreeBSd handbook as a reference
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
Imagine that but with a section for programming too instead of being part of a separate "book".

Attached: P4290092.jpg (3072x2304, 3.05M)

You just read the fucking manual, OP. Personal story: a few days ago I decided to build a module for a project using Python, which isn't what we normally use. I had already forgotetn most of what I learned in a 2-month course had attended since February. So, for every problem I encountered, I just opened the language's online documentation and read how to use the language and the external modules that I needed. Everything worked out great!

And if you're feeling insecure from always having to rely on the user manuals.... don't be. Spend enough time reading them and back to specific pages over, and over, and over again, and you 'll eventually remember all the specifics.

That motorcycle regulates 217 volt

>00000
I'll regulate your 217 volts

gay

well that was a bit of a waste.

Attached: 1351699528555.jpg (214x235, 4K)

Attached: Da1rYEtU0AA3UiW.jpg (1191x1684, 190K)

/thread

>How do I achieve things without making any effort

217 JIGAVOLT GET

nice 7s

Attached: check back.png (650x470, 304K)

If it's a language you've never touched and you never needed that IDE it's normal to struggle setting all up the first time. Nowadays even more with the huge amount of IDEs, coding text editors and oh fucking building tools.

For example, C++ 20 years ago. TurboC++, maybe GCC with make, that's it.
Now, MVC, VSCommunity, G++. Clang, Make, CMake, MinGW, CodeBlocks, CLion, XCode, Cygwin, QTEditor, ... + All the java fuck (Maven, Eclipse, NetBeans, etc...), and the repos SVG, Git, and the documentation (Doxygen, ...) and the tests suits... and the CI tools, and the linters...

>how do i improve my programming and problem-solving skills without relying too much or having to do an internet search?
Use the Internet until you have memorized the Information.

Alternatively: Books.

Another quintuples waste. For fuck's sake!

Find random challenges online and do them. Simple as that. r/dailyprogrammer is unironically good for this, but things like the Euler Project exist as well.

Amphetamine

This is actual autism.

The programmers from long ago have borderline mental illness from all the information they're required to store.

The brain has a limited capacity.

this
t.addrallInfoSecJunky

The more problems you solve, the easier it'll be.

>Grind leetcode
>Build stuff that you've never built before
There ya go, both will have you hitting walls where you'll have to think logically and draw things out on paper.

Attached: 1472923867608.png (500x437, 261K)