/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 1700 / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1511301692904.png (669x420, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/243328/noctua-tease-their-impending-sterrox-made-a-series-nf-a12x25-fan
sfflab.com/products/ncase_m1
pcpartpicker.com/list/JWQWbX
pcpartpicker.com/list/VDYFGG
pcpartpicker.com/list/vJLRkd
amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-1060-Graphics-VCGGTX10603PB/dp/B01K8PAS8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/MLkQq4
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700X/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3287-amd-r7-2700-and-2700x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory
anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/ThLn7W
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

techpowerup.com/243328/noctua-tease-their-impending-sterrox-made-a-series-nf-a12x25-fan
A better fan than the Gentle Typhoon and anything else on the market coming soon. I'm excited.

Will ask again. Is it better to have a gaming laptop or a Mini-ITX build if I travel a lot?

Alright I have $600 to work with and I'm looking for a build that would get me decent performance out of games like just cause 3 max, I have a 23 inch graphics tablet I use for a monitor if it effects anything. Mostly mid tier gaming and paint programs.

A laptop of course? Unless you really like desktops, in which case here are some possible choices:
www.lian-li.com/pc-tu100/
sfflab.com/products/ncase_m1

That's a problem because I am trying to build credit and I am using my credit card to buy the parts. The card only has a $500 limit.

I guess it depends. Do you fly or do you travel by vehicle? What is your budget? What games do you want to play? Do you have a monitor to take with the desktop? All important questions.

I don't know what I'm looking at with CPU numbers.

Okay so big numbers are good, all I know about more cores is it's better for running lots of things at once. More GHz is good but how does it differ from more cores? Like, if I have 6 3.5GHz cores is that better than 4 4.5GHz cores?
I feel as though it's time for me to learn this

Attached: 1516606379294.jpg (539x960, 77K)

Cores can't be compared across architectures
Scaling across multiple cores isn't always perfect
Check benchmarks

Are there any good, modern, and small monitors? Looking to finally upgrade my 19" 1440x900 Dell from 2008 and would prefer to not go much bigger.

At least 1080p, IPS, and under 22" are my primary criteria.

>tfw I just fucking missed a Dark Rock TF cooler deal for 30$ NEW
>30 fucking dollars
Give me one reason why I shouldn't kys and drop this building pc shit

I want to build a new PC but I'm not sure what I exactly need even though I'm tech savvy (I tend to buy things because they're more expensive rather than because it's what I need). I want
>$2000 aussie dollars
>gaming PC
>I want it to power a 4k monitor for when I eventually buy one (I'm holding off on a graphics card until the 1180 comes out)
>special request: case must have a usb-c port on the front panel and the motherboard must support USB-C front I/O headers

You should do it yourself and have some fun picking components you like. I suggest coming back here with any questions and learning new stuff along the way. Feel free to ignore this post though.

Ryzen+ benchmarks when?

7640X and X299 or I5 8600K and Z370? Looking for long term upgrade paths. Split pretty evenly between productivity work like photo editing and gaming.

April 19th is when the embargo is lifted so very soon amigo

pcpartpicker.com/list/JWQWbX
First build after using a prebuilt for about a year.
How did I do on choosing parts? Wanted mostly white components.

Even worse op

now

Attached: amdryzen2700xsinglecore.jpg (781x767, 148K)

Why bother with intel, the 2700X is faster than any trash they have

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-Tests-03-1.jpg (718x568, 222K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/VDYFGG

your build sucks this one is better

I'd get this for a little more
pcpartpicker.com/list/vJLRkd

Do you guys ever regret spending so much? I like my computer and playing vidya on ultra settings, but I look at it and everytime I think about how I could have spent the money on something more productive or just saved it.

I regret it took 8 fucking years before I upgraded from my Phenom X4.

I just installed Windows 7 because I was bored. I had been using Windows 10 ever since it was released. How long until I go crawling back to W10?

amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-1060-Graphics-VCGGTX10603PB/dp/B01K8PAS8K

pny gtx 1060 3gb for $230

Only 30 bucks over MSRP. The wait's almost over, just before the new gen

what're the best cases you can get for under $300 now that aren't just filled with meme shit

seems like the lian li pc-o11 dynamic has everything you'd need unless i'm retarded

Is there any thermal and power delivery testing for the VRMs on the B360 ITX mobos?
It scares me that the VRMs look like shit even if I'm not OCing but I can't justify the jump to a z370
I want to build a compact and portable HTPC with the 8700 for it's low TDP

Attached: 1523842617168.jpg (749x537, 40K)

>lian li pc-o11 dynamic
the best case for ATX imo, I'd go for that one

Is liquid cooling a meme?

Windows are "meme shit" though. I'd love this case if it had an actual front panel and vented panels on both sides.

Any decent site I can use to find Canadian sales?

>el chapoozas informatica
Subtle, Pedro. Subtle.

Here’s my setup.

No, it’s not a meme. It keeps significantly lower temperatures for sustained periods of time. Depending on what you’re cooling, and the grade of the components you buy, it can get pricey. No real reason to liquid cool unless you’re overclocking.

Attached: 7FA8C050-A65F-44D0-A7F9-0E1BF5E0185E.jpg (4032x3024, 2.69M)

aids stop posting your shit fucking 8700k 1080tix2 setup faggot no one cares now.

is a 1080 the preferred choice to aim at 144fps at high settings, 1080p for most of the games?
Should I buy a gsync monitor?
Budget is 1800€, could go to 2000€ if worth. Usage would be gayming, sw developing and vm work.

You should probably wait until the 1170/1180 comes out and get one of those instead.

He asked about watercooling. Sorry to hear about all your butthurt.

>Do you fly or do you travel by vehicle?
Fly a lot
>What is your budget?
1600$ CAD
>What games do you want to play?
Mostly AAA games like Prey, FF XV, Dragon's Dogma and a lot of fighting games.
>Do you have a monitor to take with the desktop?
Yeah I have a 144hz monitor.

>butthurt
>me telling to you stop posting your shit cooling config with 90deg bends

shut the fuck up.l

Is 550w gold PSU enough for this build? What if I had a 1080 instead of the 1070?

pcpartpicker.com/list/MLkQq4

>embargo lifts in ~5 hours
Who's ready?

Okay, I'm on an R9 270X, I feel as if it's dying. Is there any way to guarantee it's on its' way out? I bought it used, of course, which also makes me assume it's going to shit itself one day in the near future. I'm poor, please don't bully me too much.
>artifacts in games
>unstable clocks
>can't overclock at all without the screen having a tantrum
I bought this thing almost 11 months ago, so if it's dying, it lasted a while since buying it.
Just to be "safe", I was considering buying a better video card. Originally, I was hoping the 1050 Ti would be better, but for what it costs, it's not too much better.
Something like a 970+ (>3.5gb, it's still less restricting than 2GB) is what I was looking at. Just something better by a good amount, plus more than 2GB so I won't have to worry about turning settings down. I don't play a lot of those intensive AAA games, but with something like GTA5, 2GB limits me to "Normal" texture settings, and I can imagine games in the future also having restrictions on a 2GB card. I know that VRAM amount alone isn't what determines this shit, but I'm a desperate poor fag.

And I guess I’m still missing your point. You don’t want me to post the computer I built... in a computer building thread... on Jow Forums... because there are 90deg bends in my loop?

Let them bring it on - I've been ready for months now.

For a while, one of the temperature readouts in my Skylake build would climb insanely high when OCd. I finally got to troubleshoot it with a multimeter and a temp probe. It turned out the chokes were overheating and this was their readout.
Now for this board, I am gonna buy or salvage some heatsink and attach it with thermal glue. However, the findings got me wondering if the chokes in my other Sandy build are about to melt too. This older board has no such sensor on them.
What is your experience with choke cooling? Even the most expensive motherboards seem to have them naked, right next to the mosfet heatsink. Specs for your average choke say 85C max, mine managed to almost double that.
If you have the tools, better measure your chokes right now.

yeah it will be enough but since 650w is only $10 more you might as well go for that. overall if you're only gaming then 8400 + gtx 1080 would give you more performance.
i'd also get 500gb ssd like mx500

I (generally) spend exactly what I am willing to spend on what I intend to use. As you grow up and learn lessons, you'll regret your choices less and less often. This is why you shouldn't overspend what you can afford for your first time. It's not until you know what you're doing that you should overspend or take on debt (generalized. Never borrow money for a computer)

What user said correct, but I might disagree with the 650w. But at the same time, without knowing exactly how much you're gaming/loads I couldn't say if the PSU will be more efficient at 550 or 650, and if the extra headroom makes you comfortable, on a 1.8k build? Go for it. Personally I'd cut back a touch, and if I ever upgraded that same rig just use that power supply in another build (if you're spending that much and posting here I'll assume you have other computers or know someone you could give a great PSU to. The Focusgold should be great-good for nearly a decade). I might consider semi-modular too (10$ savings isn't bad, but more just to keep it simple )

My old 5770 is dying.
Is there any decent upgrade that's still PCI-E 2.0?

Hi Jow Forums, I just built a PC out of ebay parts to replace my slavstation and it has worked fine for some weeks untill tonight.
It has started to briefly stutter during most any activity while hardly under load, like playing tf2 or watching youtube.

I have all my drivers, what could be the issue?
specs:

cpu: Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz
motherboard: Intel Corporation DQ67SW
graphics card: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

ram:
1x PC3-10700 4gb (Hyundai Electronics)
1x PC3-12800 4gb (kingston)
1x PC3-12800 2gb (Samsung)

anyone know when the NDA for ryzen 2 lifts?

Attached: 1523836104379.jpg (863x960, 52K)

2h 10min from now.

thanks user you the man

Im in europe and am looking for a decent 1080p 27" monitor for around 130€. Do they even exist?

AOC i2769Vm maybe

Could be too many process' in the background? Your system is alright and not outdated so unless you're running 20 apps in background,, you should be good

It's 200€ on amazon.de and thats too much for me

Worth getting an Intel Xeon e3-1240v3 for $150? (4c8t Haswell based Xeon, basically an i7-4790 with no iGPU). I already have a Supermicro C226 based server board and ECC ddr3 ram.

depends. what are you going to be doing with it?

go to geizhals.de, pick 27"+IPS+1080p and sort by cheapest. or just get an used dell.

when are they supposed to come out? I cannot wait more than a month for work reasons.

could be a memory issue, typically mismatched memory is ok as long as you're not running high clocks or overclocking it, but sometimes it can be an issue. Try running hcl mem test, enough instances to cover most of your ram, save about a gig for windows. Run until youhave 200% coverage on all of the instances, anything more than one or two errors means its probably the memory. I would start there at least, might also be what suggested

not him but the expectation is july. so you'll probably have to go for a card earlier than that. i would go with a 1080 because prices are close to the mark on most of them in a lot of places, 1070 and 1080ti are still further above msrp comparatively

Not sure if I should be posting this here, but I'm looking to buy a laptop in the $1200 ballpark for gaming, BIM, and CAD software, so it should be pretty powerful around the board. What would Jow Forums recommend?

a PC

thanks. Also what is a good price for a 1080 in europe? And is it a good idea to aim for one with decent cooling system, large fans and at least two of them

i couldnt say, not from europe, and from my understanding prices depend on where you are even inside europe.
Yeah, aim for one with a nice cooling setup, but dont overpay for it. After a certain point its not worth it. Look at reviews, find one you like and then find a good price.

I already have a desktop PC, what I need is a laptop. Is there some other thread for this kind of discussion?

My server is primarily for sharing various windows shares. Movies and such. So actual CPU requirements are low. At most I'd try sticking Smoothwall firewall in a VM but even that could get by easy on a single core and 2GB ram.

I already have a Haswell Pentium G3260 (2c2t). It supports ECC. I just want this server to last a while and don't want to find it's underpowered 2 years from now for even basic tasks and by then, all the Haswell CPUs are gone or stupid over-priced. Money really isn't too big an issue. If anything if I'm pulling the trigger in the Xeon, I'd get another 8GB of ECC ram too. Would be like $210 for everything.

yes
>>/tpg/

Thanks.

yeah, id say go for it. if you can maybe try to get the cpu a little cheaper, like 120. I've got a NAS with one of the haswell i3 that supports ecc in it, upgrading to a 1230 this summer as well. More people are using it for plex so the CPU power is needed for encoding, seems somewhat similar in your case.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably buy it when I get home. Do you by chance have any experience with using IPMI? I'm tempted to grab a really cheap like GT210 or something for OS installation. Or is IPMI reliable enough?

ive never used ipmi, but suppoer on supermicro boards is usually fine. i think you should be alright using it, never hurts to have a cheap and working gpu laying around though

how can I understand the correct price mark for my country? US is not a proper reference since prices seem lower than europe, especially my state

try to find the msrp for a 1080 in your country. look at reviews from a domestic site if possible, or see if you can find a source providing that information. other than that I'm not really sure. MSRP for a 1080 in the us is $500, but of course prices are inflated as hell right now because of demand for mining and memory prices

Only 7 more months until Black Friday/Cyber Monday!!!!!

Attached: 1513052999310.png (406x438, 26K)

thank you very much, will surely do. Can you tell me something about gsync, if it's worth it or just a meme? I think I am gonna wait until new zen get consistent tests and reviews so the initial compatibility issues get resolved. After years of intel I've gotten tired of them and ryzen for once seems a better performance per € alternative especially for high end mixed use.

Both my side panels have tiny little holes on them. Will that affect airflow?

Attached: P_20180419_201723.jpg (2304x4096, 2.5M)

Yeah, it'll improve the airflow and help cool your pc down more.

ive never used gsync, but I have used freesync, although not for higher refresh. With my 4k monitor, it makes a difference in that some games feel much more playable at lower frame rates than they would otherwise, allowing me to turn some settings up slightly higher and not feel like I've lost a lot of framerate. As for higher refresh rates though I really dont know. I would be less inclined to pick a gsync monitor over a cheaper high refres rate with better color though, freesync is nice there as there is usually no added cost, whereas gsync significantly increases price.
so its kind of a wash from me? i cant really say.

>half hour until ryzen embargo

What can I do about the dust though?

Is the Ryzen stock cooler good enough for comfortable overclocking temperatures?
Also is updating a b350 mb bios easy enough for a tech illiterate?

I have a really bare-bones case (Fractal Core 1100), it has one 120mm intake fan installed in the front, and two options, an 80mm or 92mm at the back and a 120mm at the side panel. It's so hard to find a 92mm fan in my country so I'm tempted to just not have an exhaust at all and just install a decent 120mm static pressure fan on the side for positive pressure and to have direct cooling on components like my graphics card. Am I fucking up by not having an exhaust?

Honestly, if I were you, I would jerryrig a filter on the side panel(s). That should capture most dust.

>ryzen embargo is lifted

Ryzen 2 reviews:
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700X/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3287-amd-r7-2700-and-2700x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory
anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html

citing gamersnexus; "What we got instead was a massive uplift in volt-frequency curves, and that’s important.", meaning the frequencies aren't that good (oc 4.25ghz at the absolute most), but power usage at 4.0ghz went down.

Finally saved up 1000 euros. I've been looking for like ~3 months to get a PC that can run VR wellb(and a VR as well but I guess 1k is too little for PC + VR).

I don't need to buy peripherics like keyboard or monitor since I already have them

I was told building it buying the pieces separately is the best option but I've never done anything like this before so I'm a bit lost and also afraid to fuck it up buying the wrong pieces or unoptimal ones.

Could someone give me a quick overview on things to keep in mind? From what I've read cpu and gpu musn't bottleneck and they also have to be compatible with the motherboard but that's pretty much all I know. If someone could even go as far as to list what pieces he thinks would be best with this budget I'd be very grateful

tl;dr: Looking to make PC that can run VR. Budget is 1000 euros($1237). I've never done this before and I have no idea what pieces to get. Help pls

Attached: 1522645100922.png (1280x1024, 1.27M)

Nice, thanks for those links. My girlfriend is upgrading her streaming computer soon and I was torn on whether or not to make it AMD or Intel, but it seems like Intel is better for raw gaming fps and AMD better for streaming. In terms of the 2700X vs 8700K at least.

don't base your build around monitor just get a CRT instead best gaming monitors and super cheap got mine for 20$x3

just bought a 2700x why are all the nvidia cards so expensive now is it actually because of coin mining? also what do??

Use case:
>light to moderate programming (C/C++, Python, maybe Javashit since that's where the jobs seem to be)
>have a bunch of VMs I like to play with (will only run one (1) at a time tho)
>may do some OSDev
>no modern (i.e., Steam) games, just emulating up to PS2/GC, so single core performance may be a consideration (the emulating component can be optional if it affects price/performance too much)

Budget: ~$1000, give or take a bit

Preferences: Intel CPU/Nvidia GPU, lots of USB ports, HDMI, 2 TB+ of SSD/HDD storage space, haven't decided Windows or Linux yet, ATX form factor (if one can fit all this into smaller form factors, that would be good to see, too), air cooling (not liquid cooling), 16 GB RAM just because

Not ready to buy, but I wanna get an idea of what kind of build (especially with specific parts if possible) will handle my use case given my budget and preferences. I have looked at the Logical Increments site, but it only seems to take budget into account, not use case. I can be flexible with the budget/preferences as needed to get a solid build.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

Attached: slap i told you to wait.jpg (1327x1103, 540K)

>Intel cpu
intel is shit see

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man. Gonna wait for a non-shitposter to respond.

They're the only reviewer posting massive gains. Everyone else is showing that it's only a 10-15% increase over Ryzen 1, WHICH IS EXPECTED. This was not marketed to beat Intel, it was marketed as improving Ryzen 1. Zen 2 will be the real kicker. Zen+ was more for people like me, who are still running an FX and are looking to upgrade but don't want to kill their wallet.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ThLn7W
Disregard the peripherals