OpenBSD Questions

Hey Jow Forums I'm interested in finally getting away from winshit and am interested in OpenBSD. Unfortunately there are a couple of Windows only programs I still need to be able to run for work. It seems that Wine doesn't work on OpenBSD, but do VMs? A VM would be fine but I've seen conflicting information about whether or not OpenBSD supports Windows 10 guests.

Attached: openbsd.png (1200x781, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HAMMER2-ZFS-Linux-Initial-Data
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you have to ask, you're not ready.

It does.

I'm sorry I don't want to nuke my system just to find out I'll need to go back to Windows.

Do you have any links backing that up? What is the performance like?

could have asked this in /mg/ nigger

Your options are vmm and qemu. vmm doesn't do Windows, so that leaves qemu.

I use OpenBSD on all my computers. I have a single Linux laptop that I boot up now and then for the single Windows program I use.

Don’t bother, you’ll just go back

/mg/ doesn't actually answer questions, they just sperg about package counts and whether or not systemd is minimal (it's not)

How is qemu's performance on OpenBSD?

If you already own a legit copy of windows that does what you need, there's no use in changing an OS.

I have privacy concerns and want to use an OS with better security than Windows

If you need Windows programs, just use Windows. Not even joking. Dualboot.

You can use QEMU for running a Windows VM, but I've only ever ran XP on it since the only Intel machine I use OpenBSD on is 32-bit i386. Honestly, if I were you I'd go with some sort of Linux distro. Don't get me wrong, BSD is great. Linux just has more virtualization tools available. Use Devuan or Void Linux for something without systemd that just works. I highly recommend Devuan. It takes 5 minutes to install and it's super user friendly, and everything works out of the box. I use it on my laptop every single day and I'm using VirtualBox to run Windows 10 LTSB. Aside from poor battery life with the Windows guest running, everything works great.

> OpenBSD
> work
Are people this clueless?

>webshit
What a great chance to learn the bchs stack.

Attached: 1516250708552.jpg (785x757, 237K)

OpenBSD is very spartan. Maybe try FreeBSD or Debian if you're new.

FreeBSD is DEPRECATED. Use OpenBSD.

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

It hurts, doesn't it?

Just stop with this copy pasta you fucking mongoloid.

Recent commits in ZFS resulted in data loss and destroyed businesses.
ZFS is a meme.

no lol

What DE do you run?

Pls don't use openbsd, use dragonflybsd or netbsd instead. Openbsd is not practical for desktop use. Also, the rat is annoying fag

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HAMMER2-ZFS-Linux-Initial-Data
>using anything else than Dragonfly

Attached: 1498151159918.png (150x167, 11K)

I guess I'll try dragonfly

/thread