Why do younger people use whatsapp, messenger, telegram, etc., instead of just SMS/MMS?

Why do younger people use whatsapp, messenger, telegram, etc., instead of just SMS/MMS?

Seems like just extra complication and layers of botnet.

I don't get it . . .

Attached: 1521753739840.jpg (2000x1500, 428K)

turkish genetics

The only reason those messaging apps ever sprouted up in the first place was to route around mobile carriers thinking "Hmm, people like this SMS thing, lets see how much we can charge for it! How about per-message?"

Eventually they grew extra bells and whistles and people were in the habit of using them. Also SMS is totally unencrypted.

free?

SMS costs more
the only reason we used SMS was because that's the option available on older phones
if i could use msn on my cheap phone in 2003, i totally would have

But unlimited texting is included, no extra charge, on most plans these days.

So cost is not an issue. Gotta be something else.

cos its free

Only for those that can afford it. Most of our money went to apple. Why have unlimited when you can spend that extra $ per month on a social status.

because (((old white men))) tell them it's the cool new thing. Also, where did you find that picture of me?

SMS is expensive as fuck in my country, I never use it.

unlimited data plan: €25
unlimited text and calling plan + 10gb/mo: €30.

Good luck with chat groups on sms

SMS is unencrypted trash.

I'm from the US but staying in the Philippines. FB messenger is the only way I can contact my family most of the time. Also here the phone companies offer free facebook with no large images etc... It sometimes costs more to text people on other networks so it's more likely to get in contact using fb for a lot of people. In old times it was Viber that was free on one specific phone company so I used that to stay in contact with all the girls I was trying to date/fuck and get them to send me pictures over it.

wtf do you live in the balkans?

SMS supports groups.
Even email supports groups.

SMS was already for younger normies and a regression from XMPP, or even proprietary systems like AIM and MSN. If you're not a kid you'd remember the time when chat systems weren't bound to telephone carrier subscriptions.

Your sister supports me.
Great not having to wage slave.

Maybe it's just like high school kids forming cliques to play social politics.

Prove it

because it's not smart to just send plaintext over whateverthefuck tower just throws itself into the mesh network, government stingray devicees included.

>all the girls I was trying to date/fuck

How successful were you?

It works over wifi

might as well

France here, unlimited SMS/MMS and calls + 30gb data/month = 5 EUR.

fug

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-20-17-56-32-330_com.twodegreesmobile.twodegrees.png (1080x1920, 169K)

No one I know gives a shit about privacy.
They grew up being told that privacy bad (nothing to hide, noting to fear, etc.).

They don't miss it because they never had it.

So for them, privacy isn't the issue either.

So if not cost, or privacy, then what?

Tfw I felt jewed paying 20€ for unlimited everything but data (6gb with roll over)
Kiwi existence must be suffering

Why do burgers still use the deprecated sms protocol when other, high level ip based protocols are so much better? Sms
>logged by the provider
>associated with your phone number and thus associated with you
>not encrypted
>can't host it yourself
while superior protocols like pic related
>can be self-hosted
>rely on 100% open standards
>can be encrypted however you want
>don't need any identification whatsoever

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

I mean at least I got gigabit fibre lol

See #65613516

I mean I live in Swedistan and I pay like 30€ a month for gigabit

I'd say about 60%. Lack of money is the biggest cockblock of them all. When I had money to take a girl to a hotel I could always find one that was willing.

Why are you using sms instead of Wire?

Attached: wirelogo.png (300x300, 7K)

Everyone is "on" SMS.
Not everyone is "on" Wire.

Is it hard getting people you talk to every day on Wire

Ah . . . there we have it!

Idk, never tried it.

So many messaging services, so little time.

You fags don't pay bill don't you

I send and receive a minimum of 200, average of 500 messages a day through messenger. SMS is just not as convenient as instant messaging. I use the messenger client from 4 different devices daily (phone, rendering laptop, programming laptop, and desktop) without hassle. Not sure why anyone who actively uses messaging would want to use SMS. Sure, you could effectively do the same thing through SMS but it definitely would take more work to set up and you also have the cost of having to get everyone you converse with to use it whereas everyone in my demographic uses iMessage (if they have an iPhone) or messenger as communication.

For a demographic background I am: A millenial (21), currently in university, pursuing computational biology, black.

Ask me shit.

Attached: received_1536845489753169.jpg (1440x1126, 126K)

whatsapp has free voip calling so calling senpai in jamaica is cheap. as well as texting.

Only 2 are worth your time
Signal and Wire
I don't trust american servers so I'm going with Wire

>SMS supports groups
No, only MMS

But if you pay per message group sms are counted per every recepient

Nobody cares, nigger.

Fun fact:

It takes over 30 sec for single 150kb picture to be delivered over MMS.

because internet is cheaper than SMS.

Faster and cheaper

>t. someone who got jewed into a contract with "free sms"
You can choose to message with botnet apps, having every kind of feature you want, or you can have an outdated pay-per-message garbage with slow ass sending time and limited space.
>implying sms are secure

My mobile data plan is 2€/mo. for 1Gb. Data plans with "free unlimited sms" is 10€/mo. You are either a jew or retarded if you prefer SMS over Internet messages.

Attached: 1521697655510.png (426x510, 154K)

>every single carrier on earth works just like mine does!
>paying for sms

SMS is such a basic feature that not a single carrier in my country even offers it as a limited service, it is unlimited by default here including on the uber-cheap prepaid services because it costs the carriers basically nothing to operate. There is no reason not to use it for simple person-to-person messages.

Other messengers are gaining popularity for many reasons, but largely because MMS group messaging is absolute shit (very bad for ever-more social demographics), no video calling, etc.

Hyperdimensional jewed

>Yotsuba B

>MMS
user, I was born in 1990 and I haven't met a single fucking person in my entire life (including 2 years of working in a mobile operator company's call-center) who actually used MMS. People knew that's a thing, but that's about it.
Why the fuck would people use it nowadays?
>SMS
SMS is a shitty and expensive system. Dropping SMS for viable alternatives (ICQ, for example) always was a trend.

>instead of just SMS/MMS?
>extra layers of botnet.

geee whiz thank god that this huge corporatian doesn't spy on me, and instead i can use shitty, completely unencrypted, paid service, that is constanly monitored by default, where every schmuck sales rep can read my message history.

Cost?
Public channels instead of retarded group chats?
Cute as fuck CUSTOM made stickers instead of garbage-tier iphone emoji?
Gee idk

Attached: Girly-Fox-Telegram-Stickers-stickers.acidodivertido.com_.jpg (717x844, 251K)

The question really is, why would anyone use SMS? It's easily the worst message protocol I have to use out of all of them

I use xmpp/discord/whatever over sms/phonecall because sms and phone never worked for me.

I have constant issues like sms'es sending for over 4 min, not coming to me on time. Similar stories for phone calls, I can hear the person but that person cant hear me or something different.

Antld that shit is present since I ever got a phone. No matter what operator nor phone.

Also I can login to my xmpp/discord from any place in the world. With standard SIM I can call/send sms only from device which can be lost. And I also hate texting on a touchscreen.

Just use silence to encrypt it. Simple.

If you are so poor you cannot afford unlimited text plan that must suck.

Emojis
Group conversations
Audio and video calls / messages
File sharing
Location sharing

It's sad, OP, but it's how it is. I wish SMS were still a thing people used because I wanted to abandon having a smartphone altogether.

If things could be like Signal and the cancerous iOS messenger thing, where the client acts as a standard SMS client until you both use the same thing. Maybe then it'd all be good.

SMS and "unlimited" plan pricing depends quite a lot on where you live.

Telecom infrastructure isn't usually THAT competitive. You get 1-3 actual providers in most places, no more. And it is possible that they all are faggots and make SMS, MMS and so on overly expensive.

Not that anyone should want this crap anyhow, sending data over XMPP or such is much better.

Sucks for you, but I think it is positive. SMS is cancer.

Phones need the option to use XMPP with OMEMO encryption, file sending/receiving and other current features without relying on ancient crap standards that cannot really provide features or serious encryption or anything else.

Romania here, unlimited everything except internet, 65gb of net (4G available of course) and also social media and music streaming sites don't count to the consumption. Only 7 eurobucks.

Attached: 1470053601841.jpg (680x680, 47K)

Majority does not make alot of money.
And it is not bad to saving that cost, that money could be invested elsewhere.l more promising.

when i first heard about MMS, i was all "that's neat", then saw it cost 50c to send one, then i was all "i'll just email them later"

parents can't easily see what's going on

social welfare status*

Bouygues?

There's this place in Romania in Apuseni mountains where herds of horses run free almost entire year. Really cute

Attached: tumblr_p6n1drjmV91wjf9lpo1_500.jpg (500x750, 94K)

>I send and receive a minimum of 200, average of 500 messages a day
you can get spam into your email too
also memes
and pictures of you're mothers vegana

facebook/whatsapp/messengers etc.. is usually free to use in data

what backward shithole country are you living?

>t. mms user in denial

Because it looks better, is faster and has better image and video share options.
It's not about tech, but about user experience. Don't think from a technical standpoint.

what's hlthat dock called?

I don't know where you live, however my carrier has unlimited calling and texts for $15 a month. Data is $10 per 1G. I am always near WiFi so my bill is always very little.

Would you rather have Verizon read your messages, or Facebook read your messages? At least with FB/WhatsApp/Telegram etc. you go over the data plan, get high quality images/videos, stickers, encryption features, read receipts, typing indicators, better group messaging, multi-device sync.
SMS is just as, if not more botnet, than the rest.

Also SMS is really only added on to cell phone plans in the US, and generally is not a free add-on in other countries.

sms is not as convenient
it's cheaper to use wifi or even mobile data instead of using sms

>payed
>limited length
>no utf-8 support so non-ASCII is even more limited
>can't log in cross-machine from desktop

This, but with exception of messenger, this way you can talk for free with frens who have fb, other things... just why? Like really lol its the same as sending SMS/MMS

Not even sure why this is a question, OP. The obvious one seems to be
why the hell would anyone use SMS in this day and age? the alternatives are so much better
also: it's creepy in this country because phone companies store that shit for 6 months and nothing's required (no warrant) to get a transcript if you're working for the government. I don't even like giving people my number in case they decide to ask me stupid things by SMS.

I am. It's honestly better than Signal.

I cant believe the prices... 10$ fo 1GB?!
I have 3 GB data, unlimited calls/sms within same telecom and cheap sms/calls to rest of them. It's just 5$/mo

I pay 2€/month for unlimited 256kbps data, why would I pay for SMS?

It costs nothing, but more importantly unlike SMS there's end-to-end encryption and the shit actually works with international texts (I have a bunch of friends who live in Germany). I ought to get them to use a different service because muh jewbook but

Attached: fdgsdfgdsgsgs.png (364x300, 178K)

SMS is more convenient because not everyone you know uses one single messenging app like WhatsApp or whatever, but everyone uses SMS.

iMessage is even more convenient in that regard because if you’re both using iMessage then you’re just using iMessage, no SMS involved and it’s a lot more efficient. But if someone texts you using SMS then it switches over to SMS automatically

Location sharing?

Attached: 4f935430f7b65c8b997a0606834c150f72da0ddf523d767a0eb3b474d4adfa84.jpg (255x144, 16K)

This. But desu, I don't really trust anyone's encryption, except maybe iMessage just because I know exactly how it works.

Don't know the exact model but it's an UltraBase they were mainly for older Xyyy Models like X60 X61 (not X61t!) X40 and I believe they could also be used for X200 models

I hope you aren't using SMS to avoid "the botnet"

>SMS is more convenient because not everyone you know uses one single messenging app like WhatsApp or whatever, but everyone uses SMS
in th early 2000 maybe