So. Which one was superior?

So. Which one was superior?

Attached: 1280px-PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg[1].png (1280x650, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nSSYo0npMhA
hooktube.com/watch?v=8jboV9HNQEw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

that one

the best

No info is pretty good that I have at home.

PAL. Carried more information and had a better compromise for TV, really. NTSC was a little worse than PAL, but still much better than the trash that was SECAM.

1080P is superior.

NTSC if you were a consolefag
otherwise PAL

PAL

well PAL at least got colours right

PAL

IEEE 802.11

>Never The Same Colour
>Ol' buddy, ol' PAL
>SECAM? In soviet russia, CAM SE you!

Why does pal actually exist?

how's wifi related to any of these

PAL has a higher resolution and much better colour. It was designed in part to address the problems with NTSC and was plainly superior as a broadcast standard.

I expected a flood of vidja kiddies complaining about missing their 10 feeps, but it seems that they're now too young to remember the PAL vs NTSC days.

you can stream videos over wifi

ntsc because japs

The human eye can't see more than 50Hz

How is 25 Hz pal better than 30 Hz ntsc?

i love pal

youtube.com/watch?v=nSSYo0npMhA

animu is mostly 24fps though, and i prefer 24>25 speedup over 24>29.97 pulldown
i live in a PAL country, and the first few times i downloaded ntsc dvd rips, i wondered how they fucked them up so bad, with the blended frames and inconsistent motion, and upon further research, found that that's just how 24fps stuff is put into ntsc, it's horrendous

No info because they evaded the botnet

this is how i remember it
hooktube.com/watch?v=8jboV9HNQEw
t. poorfag
pretty chill soundtrack in PAL, though

PAL if you watched TV or movies, NTSC if you are a manchild who only cares about video games.

What's the point of adapting the frame rate of a digital format to begin with. The DVD player can do that if the TV can't handle 24fps.

RGB

the DVD spec doesn't include 24fps, keep in mind it was made in 1996, when TV's were CRT's, sure, most if not all PAL sets can do 48Hz (24Hz is out of the question), but then it wouldn't be PAL since it's out of spec

PAL is 50hz which makes it inherently worse than NTSC

Uh? Ones 50Hz the others 60Hz.

>How is 25 Hz pal better than 30 Hz ntsc?

Movies are 24fps so you can put them with a 2% speedup directly onto PAL, the movies are 2 minutes shorter and that's it.

For NTSC they have to do 3:2 pulldown which is blending 3 frames over 5 frames in a horrible blurry way. It looks godawful.

PAL also had way better colour quality and less banding. And you can use PAL60 (60hz and 525 lines with PAL colourburst) for vidya, so NTSC kind of has zero point whatsoever.

>What's the point of adapting the frame rate of a digital format to begin with. The DVD player can do that if the TV can't handle 24fps.

DVD players didn't have digital output for most of their lifetime, and most importantly the TVs of their era could not do 24fps, only 50 or 59.97.

wait, you probably mean "why doesn't the player add speedup/pulldown", that makes the players more complicated/expensive
PAL speedup is pretty easy, but blending frames for pulldown not so much (easy NOW, but not on cheap consumer grade hardware of 1996)

PAL + PAL60 (including the default NTSC compatibility) + SCART (RGB) = GOAT.

NTSC friends can't even deny that.

Attached: 1517137168085.jpg (599x553, 73K)

ATSC...

I heard PAL was noticeably sharper, and not many people minded the refresh rate but preferred the better picture. But also true, you know how some people are all about the 144hz now...

resolution!

PAL because it doesn't have a fucked up framerate like 59.97 or something like that.

You only get 3:2 pulldown if your display can't do native 23.976/24. It's an easy convert. DVD players have supported inverse telecine for ages. Converting PAL speedup is much harder.

>I heard PAL was noticeably sharper, and not many people minded the refresh rate but preferred the better picture.
NTSC = 480 visible lines
PAL = 576 visible lines
a fair amount more detail, and 50Hz is still quite smooth

PAL

>Converting PAL speedup is much harder.
it's really not, there's two things you can do;
1. just play the video+audio at a faster rate, only requires resampling the audio back down to 48KHz for the DAC
2. the same but also with pitch-shifting, to avoid the audio becoming higher-pitched, somewhat more complex, but still not as hard as blending video frames

None of that is an easy hardware solution. I know it's possible. I used to do it with ReClock but it's much easier just not to fuck with PAL at all. I only take a PAL rip if it happens to be a better master.

To be superior, it seems.

>DVD players have supported inverse telecine for ages.
yea, modern ones. embedded hardware has come a LONG FUCKING WAY since 1996
there wasn't even a use for inverse telecine in 1996 unless for some reason you wanted to transfer a film-to-ntsc transfer back to film or something, there was no such thing as 24Hz monitors/tv's

Sure but it isn't 1996 anymore. It still means NTSC was future proofed to have something closer to the source.

what do you use for IVTC?
i have some older anime in ntsc dvd format which i'd love to rid of pulldown, but can't get good results
welcome to the NHK especially, it's a clusterfuck, no consistent pattern, 60i credit sequence, PAL release is clearly derived from the NTSC dvd (did they do the editing directly in NTSC or what?)

America has always worse standards than Europe.

it's a bit unfair in this case since PAL is newer than NTSC, it would be concerning if it was worse, but it's also hardly surprising that it's better

. I think there's some good VapourSynth scripts for it if you really want to bother fixing. I think it was called Yatta.

i've tried a bunch of vapoursynth ivtc plugins, but NHK trips them all up one way or another

Don't know what to tell you. Some content there just isn't an easy solution.

dafuq? Brazil is NTSC and not PAL

maybe i'm just really unlucky, or maybe there's just a correlation between "has no good PAL source" and "NTSC source is an unfixable clusterfuck"

I think it's more the case of anime masters tend to be a total clusterfuck regardless.

PAL-M, the Japanese/Brazilian standard. It's superior in everyway and compatible with NTSC.

might as well add that this kind of problem doesn't happen with PAL speedup
the only consideration is whether the source has audio pitch-correction or not
hmm, perhaps, the only things i've gotten that are both ntsc and from a 24fps source is anime, for movies i always get (well, got) PAL, for non-24fps sources, i get whatever's native (that is, shot in 60i? get the ntsc dvd, etc)

All TVs sold in PAL countries since at least the late 80s have been compatible with NTSC.

Early DVD truly was a dark time. At least for 90s anime you can rely on the laserdisc release, since they were consistently excellent.

unfortunately, welcome to the NHK was made in 2006, in what i like to call "the quality deadzone" of anime. a period covering most of the 2000's, in between film and HD digital, where lots of anime were produced digitally in SD, where there's no chance of getting anything better than DVD quality

pic related, top is from 1996, bottom 2006

Attached: a.png (1440x1681, 3.4M)

uh, I thought it was just a PAL-M thing since it is actually 60Hz, good to know

Attached: IMG_1061.jpg (500x700, 65K)

But who cares about computer games?

NTSC so I could have 1080i 60fps while playing old Xbox OG games

>PAL + RGB

Attached: 1395821234677.jpg (253x253, 14K)

it would seem a few people itt dont actually know what ntsc or pal are

How so?

1080i is an hdtv thing, not ntsc. ntsc doesn't refer to 60hz, it's the entire signal spec. same as pal
which is why it also makes no sense to say 'pal + rgb', since rgb is an entirely different kind of signal

Gotcha.

clearly no info was the best

PAL is better for what it is intended (TV), but NTSC beats it at gaymen.

PAL is better in video games too.

clearly not you

I think he is referring to Japanese console games.

Some GameCube games required that your TV supported PAL60.

Not really. It's just that most games are made for NTSC since it was the standard used in Japan.

Sorry baby, but RGB on consumer devices was only available in PALland thanks to SCART.

Also, it's not as straightforward, sure PAL60 and/or RGB mean you can run PAL content (over composite or s-video) and RGB content at 60Hz anyways, but you still have 576i/288p resolution support also, something that a NTSC device with RGB can't do.
Not to mention, anything PAL with PAL60 or RGB support had NTSC compatibility out of the box almost always.

Not that anyone would actually use composite or s-video shit when SCART with RGB is an option.

NTSC was objectively worse at gaming too. Sure usually 60 frames/second instead of 50 frames/second like on PAL, but you had 20% higher resolution and better colour on PAL.

The only reason NTSC _WAS_ considered better at gaming, was because most Japanese companies, like Sega and Nintendo didn't bother making proper PAL ports of their games but instead just straighten NTSC code straight for PAL consoles.

This is of course useless now that any PAL set since the early 90's can do 60Hz and RGB, vastly superior to NTSC for retro gaming, for both playing native NTSC games and PAL games.
You can find a 32"+ Sony Trinitron with SCART and use it via RGB and have display calibration available in the service menu for 5€ while in NTSC land you have to get a PVM/BVM that usually go several hundred bucks for even a 14" one.