Installing Gentoo: Day 3

> Fucked up the install process yesterday
> No boot after restart
> Reinstalling the whole thing again today
> Will use genkernel
> Finally I will become worthy of Jow Forums

>inb4 "3 Days to install Gentoo OMG I can install Gentoo in half an hour with a dragon dildo in my ass"

Attached: 1418926229393.jpg (1700x1181, 536K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2#BIOS_with_GPT
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lenovo_Thinkpad_T420#Kernel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It took me like 20 hours of straight work to properly install Gentoo my first time, but I had no experience with anything outside Windows then.

Attached: 1523698191951.png (500x331, 101K)

I knew you weren’t going to make it when your last post started with “Day 2”. That pretty much indicated you had no idea what you were doing lmao

Are you going to help me or just shitpost on my thread?

Over the last 2 days I put like 6-7 hours into this

So yesterday I formated my boot partition to ext2 instead of fat32 that is why it did not boot

Using genkernel is cheating. You're just enabling basically every option ever in the kernel config.

I am not going to anymore, I figured out what my mistake yesterday was

You can still use menuconfig from genkernel. It just has safer defaults.

Hmm I will look into this

!unsubscribe

I can recompile my kernel at anypoint in future easily right? Or no?

Using genkernel will not help you at all, roflmao. Learn what modules your hardware need, fag. Seriously, it can be at most 2-3 you would need to get it to booting.

That has absolutely nothing to do with a failed boot. You might be missing a hard disk/filesystem module instead. Did you enable ext2? Did you paste the output of lspci -n to kmuto.jp/debian/hcl?

Yes, you have to recompile it if you want to upgrade kernels. That kernel upgrade procedure is documented in the wiki.

Jokes aside, menuconfig has / to help you search for modules, you can press the number the search results encapsulates to jump to that option. Use lspci -k to see what your livecd has loaded and make sure they are included in your kernel. Also, refrain from marking everything as modules and make them builtin instead. It makes it load faster and you don't need a initramfs that way. Also, this

Yeah then I don't care much if my kernel is a bit bloated in my first install. I will rice it up later. Thanks

Hey should I go for the
default/linux/amd64/17.0 (stable) [\code]
or the
default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop (stable) *
[\code]
profiles?

I will be using dwm as my Wm

Fuk sorry messed up the tags

I went with the desktop one, but I will remove the gnome and kde USE FLAGS afterwards

Install gentoo with makeconfig and once you are up and running, you can keep a second kernel image that you can recompile and make experiments on. If something goes wrong just roll back to the comfy kernel

Holy shit this step takes so fucking long
emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world [\code]

Yes, you're compiling the entire base system. Nothing else takes this long unless you want to compile KDE and Chromium

This, if you are going to use things like chromium or Firefox then install the binaries otherwise you will be compiling for hours

How do I know which modules my hardware needs?

Which processor do you have and what network interfaces, if you type ifconfig you will find out for your network. Remember if you are configuring your kernel, save before exiting

I started over from scratch with 4.15 what I did was make allmodconfig which compiles every possible module and then booted up and did things to make sure the modules loaded like plug in usb stuff and start up virtual machine software and so on to make sure all the modules are loaded then I did make localconfig that created a .config with only the currently loaded modules. That was a pretty interesting way to get it done, I think I might do it like that again.

Hey man do yourself a favor by spinning up a VM and installing gentoo on that. Take snapshots before every large step and see where and why you screwed up.

Something else that comes to mind from last time I was switching from Ubuntu LTS back to Gentoo. I chrooted from Ubuntu like in the handbook part where it has you chroot from a live disk. Then when I got everything setup I booted with init=/bin/busybox and mkdir /ubuntu and mv everything to /ubuntu and then mv the gentoo root into /
I've also used this method to replace the distro on VPS since hosts dont offer Gentoo in their distro selection.

Help yourself on your own

Hey dudes. I installed gentoo on my laptop like 2 weeks ago and it can't connect to wifi. Like it shows my wifi card correctly and even shows my home wifi but somehow it can't connect to it.

wow it took op 3 days to type in chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt

Too vague.
What are you using to connect to your wifi? wpa supplicant? what is the error exactly?

Do you get the same defaults with --menuconfig as when you just run genkernel? I haven't tried just running genkernel on autos, but with menuconfig I had some module necessary for my mouse to work correctly disabled by default

I installed networkmanager and the tui tells me that the network needs passwords or encryption keys

I gave it the password

Is Gentoo even worth installing?

took me about 2 weeks to get systemd and gnome on 17.1 with testing packages

gdm still doesn't work in the VM though. probably something to do with GDM not accepting touch input by default

Use lspci -k on the Live CD or paste the output of lspci -n to kmuto.jp/debian/hcl

>CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -pipe -funroll-loops -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution"
HOLY COW I'M TOTALLY GOING SO FAST OH FUCK

>emerge chromium
>4 hours later
oy vey

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-19 18-44-17.png (1281x722, 1.14M)

ye

Chromium is botnet, it takes longer to compile than Libreoffice, GCC and Firefox combined

lmao gentoo in a fucking nutshell, underrated post user

>Be me
>Want to install Gentoo
>Realize I'm not a spaz
>Install Sabayon instead.
Laughing at you OP.

Attached: binoculargorilla.jpg (613x640, 86K)

Instead of compiling bloat install bloat binaries instead

You installed gentoo, What did you fucking expect

and it can't connect
the wifi card is intel centrino Advenced-N 6235 so the driver is iwlwifi.
I have enabled all kernel options and other instructions from the gentoo wiki and it does not connect.
Should i just reinstall?

>gentoo with binary packages where everything is setup for you
What's even the point?

>unironically compiling spyware in MMXVIII
gentoo is not made for your kind brainlet. go back to fedora or linux mint or from whence you came(Mac)

Attached: 1f1tm9.jpg (600x400, 37K)

don't forget to bash systemd and gnome 3 while you're at it

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-19 18-44-17.png (1280x720, 622K)

Genkernel is for someone with no kernel config experience to get setup quickly. It's a good learning tool for the environment so someone isn't tossed into troubleshooting multiple critical modules to load as part of the initial OS setup.
Just use genkernel. Learn how kernels and updates work. Even with genkernel you will need to make tweaks for some of your hardware I'm sure. Then after experience it's very easy to do your own custom config. Why tackle that at the same time as a fresh new OS install procedure and not as refinement later?
Trying new configs and kernels is easy... when you already have a system that boots

No boot again..

Attached: future.png (625x626, 775K)

So apparently my T420 does not support efi and installed grub with efi support

It's actually usefull if you use the Gentoo install iso instead of a live distro. First you just compile a kernel with everything enabled, then you use makemodconfig to enable everything the system uses at the moment as modules in the config and then you edit it from there. It saves a lot of time hunting for options since all modules for your hardware is already enabled as module.

Unless you specifically told it to use efi it should work. If you did, you still can chroot back and fix it.

> Will use genkernel
> Finally I will become worthy of Jow Forums
These two contradict each other.

How do I "uninstall" GRUB from /boot? Because I installed it using:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot

but it said no efi variables supported, which is confusing to me because when I used parted on the boot partition it set the esp flag. Now I want to install grub using

grub-install /dev/sda but I need to remove it first or not?

genkernel? you're autistic ricing adventure needs to start with a custom kernel.
if you're on a thinkpad they have a page on the gentoo wiki for different models with kernel config recommendations.

I am. Will check it out thanks

just install over it, or cd /boot and rm -r *

Yeah I tough it could be better to do this. I think I will make it to day 4

Google says t420 does support uefi, but you probably booted in legacy mode, so efivars aren't loaded. You can either reboot in efi mode or just install grub without it, I guess it should work.

Oops I meant to say use make localmodconfig
It's been a while since I've used this config for a long time now. But you should use this to make a base config with full hardware support for your system OP. You just need to enable a couple of other options you need or change some things if you like.

Lol, that picture made me laugh

Yes but I cant boot the minimal install cd on UEFI (it says so on the wiki and I just tried).

So do I need to delet the efi flag on fstab and install grub in BIOS and I should be good right?

This is really cool. Thanks

you think you got it bad?

my bios is a "clicking bios", all in chinese, AND it fucking crashes 10-15 seconds in no matter what I try to do. Can't boot from usb thanks to this bullshit.

www-client/chromium
merge time: 1 hour, 40 minutes and 53 seconds.

app-office/libreoffice
merge time: 56 minutes and 47 seconds.

www-client/firefox
merge time: 16 minutes and 36 seconds.

Depending on if you have partitions in GPT or MBR it may be different. You probably used GPT, so read this.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2#BIOS_with_GPT

firefox is clearly superior

yeah I have --exclude chromium as a standard option, emerge it it while you are sleeping because it takes like 6 hours on a 5th gen i7

Yes I used GPT. I though that you could use BIOS with GPT

yes you can. that is exactly what is linked in the wiki
>wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2#BIOS_with_GPT

I've always found MBR more straightforward on my T430 even though my mobo is technically capable of GPT

Did you forget to set your MAKEOPTS, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS and FEATURES to something sane? You are missing critical optimizations at first glance. like --jobs, -j[n*1.5] or --quiet. You have to be aware that terminals are slow and can drag down compilation time by trying to display millions of lines so --quiet is absolutely needed.

GRUB plays nicer with MBR at least. I hope OP has remembered the 1MB GRUB partition.

Yes I did I am following the Handbook. I think I might try MBR now then. I used genkernel so I don't think some module is missong or something

yes it's fine
the vm has 12 cores but I only gave it 12 gb ram so I can't use more than 6 to 8 threads at a time otherwise really huge builds fail
IIRC only framebuffer consoles will slow compilation time.

>1MB GRUB partition
Is that for MBR?
I never needed that on any Linux installs I did before and when the handbook told me to do that I just ignored it, it worked fine. I think by default parted leaves a MB free anyway.

GPU accelerated terminal when

So I am setting the DOS scheme (MBR) now.

network manager is only the front end, you need wpa_supplicant to connect to wpa/wpa2 networks

I've been using Linux for about 8 years now and have never tried to install gentoo.
It's a good meme, but actually using gentoo as your main OS sounds terrifying. Are you really going to compile every single package? That sounds like insanity. They're not even up to date goddammit.

Attached: 1524162228396.gif (240x169, 497K)

I am installing it because I want to learn more about linux and all that stuff. I bought a T420 just for gentoo I have other computers where I can do my shit

Most shit takes a minute tops, it's the browsers, compilers, kernel with a fuckload of modules, other big stuff that take this long. But yeah, if you don't have a system capable of compiling it in a reasonable amount of time, using gentoo is pretty stupid.

After first install compilation time becomes a meaningless number as you can use your system normally while updates run in the background. With cgroups and/or nice set you don't even notice it

wpa_supplicant now ships with a gui

I have had wpa_supplicant installed from the beginning of the gentoo install and it does not work.
Also I did try to use before networmanager but I run into some problems because I'm a bit of a brainlet.

I update a few time a week. Usually takes a few minutes at most and runs in the background. It doesn't impact ability to shitpost. I use binary for Firefox and everything else is not a big deal or updates infrequently. I typically use stable flags but can always go unstable for more recent packages if needed. The power of gentoo is deciding at an individual package level.
Glad to see you embrace genkernel. Sorry about your bootloader issues.
>But yeah, if you don't have a system capable of compiling it in a reasonable amount of time, using gentoo is pretty stupid.
That's what distcc is for

>distcc
Not everyone has a bunch of machines lying around, user.

Emerging (146 of 187) sys-devel/llvm-5.0.1::gentoo

It has been here for like an hour, I am sure it did no take that long on my previous attempts

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lenovo_Thinkpad_T420#Kernel
There's the kernel config you need. You also need to enable support for your filesystems in the kernel (, NOT ) i.e. ext filesystems.
genkernel is slow, unsatisfying and harder to upgrade than a custom kernel

I don't know what is hapening it's stuck in here for like hours.

It seems I am going to go to day4 fellows

Attached: day2.png (1366x768, 179K)

check out alacritty

llvm takes a long time but not hours

I will leave it overnight wtv

actually it might have taken around an hour for me

It is taking well more than an hour for me. Which is weird because I am pretty sure that the last time I did this it did not take that long.

The only thing that changes is that now I am using screen and the last few times I didn't