So my harddrive was clicking and I wanted to open it up and make sure nothing came loose but I accidentally put a...

So my harddrive was clicking and I wanted to open it up and make sure nothing came loose but I accidentally put a fingerprint on this mirror inside it. Can I use windex without worrying about data loss?

Attached: IMG_2721.jpg (4032x3024, 1.63M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-bpX8YvNg6Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it should be fine

>not taking them out and clean both sides

okay good, I was trying to open the top and cut my finger and got blood all over it. the edge is razor sharp, just a warning for everyone else

Attached: IMG_2722.jpg (4032x3024, 1.81M)

Was your hard drive making vroom vroom noises when you tilted it?
That's what mine is doing so I don't know if it's good...

Attached: r6G9dU9.png (512x447, 216K)

Windex should be fine, but try rubbing alcohol if you have it
Make sure to get a magnet if you have it and run it along the mirror to make sure everything is nice and aligned before you put the cover back on

Attached: 1523409011843.jpg (720x960, 55K)

You need to pour salt on it and put it in the microwave

So I got the first layer off because I was worried that blood got inside of the hdd. it took a while because it kept spinning. I was able to pinch it between the little arm and keep it from spinning when I unscrewed it.
I accidentally smudged the second one (wtf there's two??) so I'll get that one out and report back

Attached: IMG_2724.jpg (4032x3024, 1.66M)

windex won't actually clean it much because the rotational velocidensity makes dirt accumulate a lot over time, you have to take out the platters and put them in the dishwasher

>taking a picture of your disks
you fool, now everybody can see your data!

good thing I saw your post. I was having a hard time getting the second mirror out. I didn't have any windex anyway LOL. I used dish soap (anti streaking of course).
Long story short, I found what was making the clicking. This mosquito hawk was in the drain after I washed it so I think I fixed it. Just need to dry it. Suggestions welcome

Attached: IMG_2728.jpg (4032x3024, 1.68M)

nice bread

blood is too fake. 4/10

That was adorable.

it's better now, thanks for asking.

Attached: IMG_2734.jpg (4032x3024, 1.87M)

I has having a hard time plugging it back together because I forgot to get the rice out of the connector. LOL

Attached: IMG_2736.jpg (3024x3024, 1.17M)

protip: smear some solder across the contacts to increase speed

you can just put the individual plates in the DVD drive and copy them to a new hard disk. NTFS segments the data across the platters so that each platter can be read individually and no file will span multiple platters and since its compatible with iso 9660 you can read it in the DVD drive

can you tell me which pins? I only have a wood burner, I hope that works

Attached: IMG_2737.jpg (4032x3024, 1.96M)

all those that are bunched up next to each other, duh
electricity will flow faster then, leading to increased speed

on the left connector 1&2 on the right one 7&8

My hands weren't steady enough to get a good weld. I guess that's why we leave it to the chinese LOL.
Now it wont plug into my connector because my welds are too big. I'm going to try what user said here .

Attached: IMG_2739.jpg (4032x3024, 1.74M)

yeah you fucked it up, you need a thin layer across all pins, not fat fucking blobs you moron

i like you

Guys, I might have fucked up. I took all of the screws out and the mirror wouldn't come out. I didn't want to get into the same mess with the smudging so I got a pair of needle noses so I wouldn't get finger greese on it. It wouldn't come out easy so I had to pull on it and it snapped.

Wat do, the wife is going to kill me if I lose all of our old picutres. That was everything...

Attached: Image.jpg (1296x972, 280K)

no biggie, you can patch it up with some tape
has to be transparent though

you have to lick it, there is a build up of tiny glucose crystals over time when the hdd is under load which can jam the rotating bits

is there a youtube tutorial of what order I should put my pieces back together or a blueprint for the mirror? I'm not good a puzzles

Get your wife's son to fix it.

> I'm not good a puzzles
yeah no then you're fucked bud

I think I got it. All of the cracks are where the mirror turned into dust so I can't do any better. wish me luck getting the other mirror out

Attached: IMG_2742.jpg (4032x3024, 1.67M)

9.8/10 thread

that'll do, good job
now put another layer of tape on the other side, and cut off the edges
walla

All jokes aside, get carb cleaner (yes, actual carb cleaner for a car). Obviously don’t spray it directly into the drive. You’re gonna wanna spray on something like a cotton ball or q tip and then dab a bit on the mirror. Then give the drive a bit of a shake to air dry it. Carb cleaner is gonna evaporate pretty quick

>walla
a fellow frankophile

oui oui
je aime le chatte

Na, he went too far with the joke. Should have screwed the bent to fuck cover back down and plugged it in.

that's why it's a 9.8
when he plugs it in it'll be a 10

are you single

This is clearly just a re-do of the ceiling light joke but with a hard drive instead. It's probably the same user

That's a giant mosquito you dirty fuck. Clean your shit up god damn.

>technonerd in charge of insect identification
It's a crane fly.

Yes, but I'm a boy.

Even better

I liked fried onions

So I went to walmart to buy a DVD player and it's not recognized. Does anyone know a good data recovery place?

this bread

Attached: mpv-shot0003.jpg (1920x1080, 235K)

He should do it with a 1080 not some hard drive he had laying around that was probably dead

You're kawaii, are you single?

Attached: 1523248676343.jpg (1920x1080, 1.24M)

fat hand

Best thread since ever.

Attached: Komeiji.Koishi.full.2065804.jpg (768x798, 550K)

Would gasoline, gun cleaner, or any solvent do the job?

The platters are pretty chemically inert, even if you are trying to destroy them, the coating protects the surface. Here are some examples:

youtube.com/watch?v=-bpX8YvNg6Y

>So my harddrive was clicking and I wanted to open it up and make sure nothing came loose but I accidentally put a fingerprint on this mirror inside it. Can I use windex without worrying about data loss?
Jesus Christ, you're everything wrong with nu Jow Forums
Stop everything you're doing and closely follow these simple instructions
Delicately spread 1/8th of a teaspoon of unsaturated discharged oil around the edges of the spindle, this will reduce friction between the spindle and the platter and make get rid of your "clicking" sounds. The oil will be spread around the relevant parts
Next, unscrew the actuator. Make sure you hold the head in place while you do this to avoid unnecessary strain to its base. Once that's unscrewed, remove the actuator and oil the hinge with the same oil used for the spindle.
Next, unscrew the third under the actuator that holds the head to the frame (the bolt closest to the long axis of the HDD). This will make the actually let the head move more freely when writing to the disk, reducing sounds and actually increasing longevity. The only reason it's there in the first place is to maintain the drives quality during international shipping where it can get jiggled around, but it has detrimental long term side effects.
Then put the actuator back on the frame, but instead of bolting it in, fill the bolt holes with PVC. This is an oldschool EE hacker trick to increase your drives efficiency - it reduces the fragility of the drive by giving it a small suspension effect, can increase the HDD's lifespan by up to 2 or 3 times.
Then you're done, you've fixed and upgraded your HDD at almost no cost.

Attached: 4771876088_e03251b4e1_z.jpg (640x495, 98K)

Long setup low payoff

Attached: Wizard_pepe.jpg (323x250, 14K)

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-20-17-12-50-123_1.jpg (1080x913, 157K)

I cant believe that hardware manufactures are still allowing sharp, un-beveled edges in

Jizz on it. Semen will restore the lost rotational velocidensity.

>posting your fingerprints online
just wow.