/pcbg/ - PC Building General

HELP! edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 2700X / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: IMG_20180420_210916323.jpg (3264x1840, 1.14M)

Other urls found in this thread:

msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-PRO-VH
pcpartpicker.com/user/spitty84/saved/#view=Ny3D8d
pcpartpicker.com/list/Dbsdmq
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspxItem=N82E16835352021&cm_re=fractal_design_venturi-_-35-352-021-_-Product
ebay.com/itm/AMD-FirePro-V7900-SDI-Professional-Graphics-Card-2GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-4x-Display/362293070571?epid=1822990050&hash=item545a598aeb:g:wIMAAOSwyTdaz-Bu
youtube.com/watch?v=GDggr3kt96Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

when I mouse over..

the motherboard is this one, bios has been updated:
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-PRO-VH

Attached: IMG_20180420_210930060.jpg (3264x1840, 1.11M)

Clear CMOS?

Good luck understanding how to boot your operating system.

Attached: 6a6114a8d67f8ecd2717e5f7f80f8a5dab7ecd0c943708dec670cbcb9b21dd0f.jpg (334x302, 32K)

check the manual and see how many lines down the language option is

>fiddling a little bit with baseclocks with auto multiplier in my 1700x to see if I can get it to XFR real high
>it boosts to 4.1ghz on 2 cores and like 3.7 in the rest
>without touching volts or multiplier
>3400+ memory too

Why didn't I do this before??

Why would you not do real OC at that point

Because you can't oc individual cores, and I could only ever get all 8 to 3.8ghz comfortably.

what's your voltage like?

sure, after I learn chinese.

Attached: IMG_20180420_213055509.jpg (3264x1840, 1.19M)

It goes to like 1.4 something when the 2 fast cores go to 4.1 but it doesn't really get hot, like 70c.

how much difference could I notice if I pick 2400mhz RAM sticks for my ryzen 2600?

Yes, I know it works better with high speed memories but some guy sells those slow ones for like 35% the price of a 3000+

I use my build mostly for 1080p gayming

you're on the edge of silicon degradation voltages my friend

Meh, haven't you seen how the 1800x does 1.5 completely stock? Besides, it is a combination of volts and temps. And my temps are more than fine. I'm not too worried.

either one of them too high is bad, would you be okay with 1.25v and 105C?

Gaming's pc for $1200 American.

I have a 800w power supply, mouse, screen keyboard.

1.4 are babyvolts and if you can keep it cool no problem. Stop treating your hardware like a fragile child tbqh.

Regards has my 3930k at 5
3ghz 1.55v for benches and it never degraded

What kind of Power supply? This matters. If it's some cheap China brand garbage, you might as well just light your house on fire yourself. Save time.

What kind of gaming? AAA stuff? 1080p? 1440p? 4k? Free-sync or G-sync? Target frame rate? Do you intend to ONLY game, or mix in some video editing/encoding/streaming while gaming?

Is there a way to get the onboard graphics of a CPU to work synergistically with your dedicated GPU to improve overall graphics performance? As if you were connecting the two in SLI?

Jow Forums g 2018

I think voltage/silicon degradation is more to do with the node the CPU is built on too. My old FX-8350 was run at 5.5Ghz @ 1.58v its entire life since launch and I never had a single issue. But that was 32nm node. We're on 14/12nm now. I think the smaller the node, the more suspectible it is to damage via over-volting.

Time will tell,worst case I kill a CPU and I learn for sure what is too much and what isn't.

But i do think saying 1.4v is killer for ryzen is babying it. But like I said, we'll see.

1080 gaming some aaa some old games. Jow Forums watching anime and movies.

pcpartpicker.com/user/spitty84/saved/#view=Ny3D8d

just bought this garbage
pcpartpicker.com/list/Dbsdmq
need a card for my linux host that is supported with the amdgpu driver that can power 4 1920x1080 displays to be used for watching anime with mpv and just general non-gaming stuff. I have a Windows and linux (because I enjoy using wine when it works and contributing to the testing in wine) virtual machine guest with a gtx 970 in it already. I plan on getting a new card for that whenever AMD announces a new card so I can pre-order it and secure one at msrp. Don't really want to spend more than 75 dollars on this card.

Get something old on craigslist.

I was hoping for perhaps a more modern workstation card that's not targeted at gaming. I want it to at least support the latest opengl extensions. Not sure where to look for that .

I'm looking for quiet case fans that can still move plenty of air. What is/are the Jow Forums-approved quiet case fan/s?

Forgot to mention they need to be 120mm.

do you really need to ask? Jow Forums has always been team poo-fans.

Noctuas, right? ...Okay, so there's a bunch of 'em that could work. What are all these varieties I'm seeing? FLX? ULN? redux? PWM? industrialPPC? Is there a guide that explains these?

Nidec Gentle Typhoon, Noctua's old series or their new Sterrox fan.

Noctua is THE quiet case fan brand
NF-F12

Fractal design venture. I have 3 140s on the front of my case right now. They have fluid dynamic bearings and push 120 cfm. I never hear them, just the air moving through my case. Make sure to get the ones without pwms.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspxItem=N82E16835352021&cm_re=fractal_design_venturi-_-35-352-021-_-Product

ebay.com/itm/AMD-FirePro-V7900-SDI-Professional-Graphics-Card-2GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-4x-Display/362293070571?epid=1822990050&hash=item545a598aeb:g:wIMAAOSwyTdaz-Bu

That's the best I could find on eBay to handle 4 monitors. Little more than $75 though. There are a SHIT LOAD of older fire-pro cards that'll do 3 monitors for like $40 though.
>FLX
No idea
>ULN
drawing a blank
>Redux
slightly cheaper fans from Noctua that aren't their standard poo colors. They also offer their Chromax which means you can make them colorful. Like the older corsair color rings.
>PWM
Stands for Pulse Width Modulation. It's a feature on many fans from like every company. Allows the fan to be controlled via motherboard header for temperature.
>IndustrialPPC
Just that. Industrial tier fans. Over-built, over-engineered, built to take a beating, and a price tag to match.

Oh also, Cooler Master Air-Pro fans have the RGB nonsense, but are mag-lev based so they're actually very good. As are EK Vardar fans.Same thing. Mag-lev based and stupid long life spans.

>>FLX
>No idea
>>ULN
>drawing a blank
Google had this:
FLX is a Noctua shorthand for flexible speed settings; FLX versions can be set to 1200/900/700 rpms (in the example I found) via supplied Low-Noise Adaptors.
Similarly, ULN is a Noctua shorthand for Ultra-Low-Noise fans, which have 800/600 rpm settings.
So it's mostly marketing speak, but I get the principle behind them; lower rpms = quieter.

Yup. Just keep in mind lower RPM also means less air flow regardless of the type of fan. I would personally buy 1800-2200 RPM fans. They have massive air flow, then just use the quiet adapters if need be.

>Make sure to get the ones without pwms.
Are pwms a problem in general, or just with this brand in particular? I don't know much, just trying to learn more here.

PWM isn't a problem at all. In fact they're sought after. Many good motherboards have like 4 or even 5x 4-pin fan headers. The motherboard can then dictate the fan's speed based on temps. Or you can set the fan speed via motherboard BIOS and fan curves etc.

Dunno why that user is saying to avoid the PWM.

Can PWM fans be controlled by something other than the mobo, like a dedicated controller?

pwms are generally for radiator fans. They generate more static pressure but less airflow.
yes

So how exactly does RAM frequency work with Ryzen? I've seen benchmarks running RAM at 3200MHz and over but the Ryzen webpage says it only supports up to 2933Mhz?

I'm planning on buying the MSI X470 Plus and a 2700X but I don't know what to do about RAM.

sure. There are many 5.25" fan controllers with support for 4 pins. Even older ones that only support 3 pins can have a PWM 4 pin plugged in. It would just be the PWM pin not communicating.

In fact many cases have physical buttons on the case to control fans you can plug into the case controller.

new BIOS for good boards will let you get around 3600. I'm running 3200 on a Gigabyte AX370 gaming 5, no trickery needed, just werked.

>I'm running 3200
But did you buy RAM that comes at 3200 stock or did you get cheaper ones at 2400, for example, and overclock?

All ram runs at 2133 stock. The advertised frequency requires overclocking. You never want to run RAM faster than its advertised speed.

>pwms are generally for radiator fans
hang on a sec. we are talking about PWM, as in Pulse Width Modulation? the 4th pin on the fan? the thing that controls the speed of the fan?

>You never want to run RAM faster than its advertised speed.
So you're saying I should buy RAM that already comes at 3200?

About fan controllers: I'm guessing "channels" refers to how many fans can be controlled at the same time by one controller?

Yes. You will have to """overclock""" it to run at 3200, if just install it and go all DDR4 runs at 2133.

Just for the fan I was talking about. But most that come with those install have flatter blades to generate more static pressure, whereas those without generally have steep blades to generate more airflow, but their speed can still be controlled by the motherboard.

Do you know if these are any good?

Attached: fRuhcVk.png (1131x398, 117K)

get 2x8 or a single stick of 8 to double up on in the future if you're on some kind of weird budget

Looking for a 1080 144hz monitor around $200. What's my best option?
Currently looking at the AOC g2460pf and the Acer XFA240.

The cpu+mobo is already expensive enough.

Isn't dual channel 8gb (4x2) better than a single channel 8gb?

Thanks all for the info.

dual channel is better, but dual channel across 2x4 is worse than on 2x8, and 8 gigs of ram is already a little tight these days

What about getting 2x4 now and another pair of 2x4 later?

How often do monitors get the commonplace RMA problems a few months or years down the line?

I'm back to considering pulling the trigger on one of those super memey 144 hz gsync IPS monstrosities, and now I'm getting scared of everything being fine for a few months past the return time and then suddenly BLB galore or the ol' line in the direct middle of the screen and the two sides being vastly different issue that I see in some images

sure. dual channel is essential and you might realise you don't need more than 8 gigs. also you can even get an extra 2 gigs after that

ram price drops when?

Never. This is the new normal now that normies get new phones with 8 gigs of ram every year because of iPhone forever programs.

For those panels, if it's bad it's bad from the start. Be prepared to RMA within the first month, but after that it should be consistent.

Hi Jow Forumsuys, serious question here.
I have a modest build, basically fx6300 750ti HD screen. I'm looking to improve, get 1080p @ +60Hz. I'm currently waiting for either ram prices drop or ddr5 or at least ryzen 1600 price drop. Now, I want to upgrade GPU first, even if it bottlenecks it would be for a couple of months maybe a year tops. I need wisdoms to choose.
>1060 3gb used, undervolted for mining, $231~$268
>rx 580 used, non demanding games, $273
>1050ti new, $226
>470 used, $210
Again, I intend 1080p 60Hz. I want something that won't be bottlenecked by ryzen 1600 because honestly I wouldn't buy a CPU more expensive than that.

Wasn't the entire point of Ryzen supposed to be Intel-like performance for cheaper?

Doesn't the pricing of the Pinnacle Ridge series undermine that? I can't justify buying a processor with a fifteen dollar gap from a processor with better single-core performance because it has two more cores and four more threads. I would probably buy the 1700, but I'll have to pass on the 2700x.

Attached: 1522523866029.gif (332x332, 1.45M)

I thought Ryzen was the best for streaming?

Attached: why.png (963x748, 416K)

now post the graph of frames rendered to stream per 16.67ms

GTX 11 series when?

Should I just get a prebuilt? For the cost of building my own PC I can get essentially the same PC Prebuilt from BestBuy with my employee discount for like 100-200 less. Is it worth the extra money to build myself bros?

>tfw tp-link tl-wn881nd fits in my mobo but the metal part won't reach far enough for me to screw it into my case

Attached: 1517020344153.png (658x901, 84K)

can i still use a win 7 license for win 10 ?

the license is an oem one on the side of a case ive had for like 8 years, never upgraded to win 10 ever

question about fan pins:
What is the correct way to plug a 3pin fan into a 4pin header?

the plugs should have "teeth" on them right? should match the motherboard, did on mine anyways

Attached: connector_mbfanpwm_3to4pin.png (143x139, 9K)

also fan question. using corsair 200r case with 2 stock fans, one in front and one in back.

i want to get more, but do i get fans for the top next?

I have the same case, I'd get a bottom intake and a top exhaust.
You can also put another 120 in front of the drive cages if you want some airflow to your drives.

>>G4560

Attached: 1523386615893.png (208x243, 8K)

Bump anyone

it is

Attached: streaming.png (1026x562, 30K)

thanks. probably stupid question but what do you keep your pc on? like it has to be raised up to get air in from the bottom right?

rx580 if it wasnt used for mining and if it has 8GB

I havent gotten the board yet, but I'll have to look and see what it looks like and how it'll work

is there a performance decrease when using external hard drives with usb hubs?

I may be wrong here but USB 3.1 actually has a higher speed than SATA 3.0
not sure how that works out considering the overhead required by USB though

it's 5gbps. Sata 3 is 6gbps.

Also my motherboard is a usb 3.1 gen 2 front panel header for some reason even though there's hardly any cases that can use that. How can I use it if I have an itx case with no room in the back?

usb 3.1 gen 2 is 10gbps
if you don't have any room I don't think there is much you can do except find room

>youtube.com/watch?v=GDggr3kt96Q

Anyone check the latest 2600X vs 8600K gaming+stream benchmark from GamerNexus?

>8600K
Literal a static picture, not even a slide show. It captures less than 0.1% of the frames.

>2600X
Smooth ~60+fps stream

8600K can't even do multitask properly.

just oc your ram to 2666 or 2800. you'll get similar performance then

>8600K can't even do multitask properly.

and people are recommending the 8400? lol

ethereum back to $612.
better buy that gpu now.
to the moon.

the absolute state of intel

>we'll just hard fork it any time something happens we don't like
>the normal consumer market should just suck up and overpay for gpus or buy used goods

2600x is like 10% worse than 8700k and significantly cheaper.

yeah whatever shill

Take out the fucking battery

If you're saying that 2700x is only $15 cheaper than 8700k, you're also ignoring the fact that 8700k needs a good cooler and more expensive motherboard - and that's if you don't even delid it. So it's more like $100 cheaper while having better multithreaded performance.

TL;DR: You're either an idiot or a shill, please kill yourself.

never

Here's the dota clip from there. Intel literally going full JUST. The pugb and the other clip were horrible too, but this one just takes the cake

Attached: dota.webm (1280x720, 1.19M)

intel is for people with real jobs

Second clip

Attached: test.webm (1280x720, 1.6M)