Graduated uni, feel like I still 'dont get it'

Everything was mostly theory, albeit we did do some programming to solve some theory, but it feels like the main goal was the theory

I feel like I can't hack the cia or be a russian hacker or something

Is this normal? feels sorta bad

Attached: doge what in tarnation.jpg (720x715, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/networking/overview/networking.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do you play capture the flag?

What projects did you pursue outside of school work?

What forums do you go on? Why would you be more knowledgeable about things you haven't done?

>What is that

>Nothing (besides just some scripts I use for random stuff)

>Jow Forums.org/g/

Then you don't do this.... soooooooo...

I'd ask you about what you went to school for, but idk you don't seem to have much passion or real interest in the subject. You will probably get a job easy and lose it often, I know a guy like that.
I can't convince him that he doesn't know a lot about tech, or that I could know more about it than he does. He likes gold stars from doing what people tell him, like a very expensive puzzle.

Sorry I don't even know what capture the flag really is, my friends brother liked to do it. It's a security game where people try to hack into a target server using whatever they can and posting the reports on it.

Jow Forums isn't a place you can learn much, it's a place to watch people talk shit to each other and look things up when you don't know them. It's like reading the dictionary.

Also I don't do this at all i've been here for a few days, but I can come off like a real smug prick like anyone else and it's hard to know who to trust.

I mean, honestly I can't really find anything to 'make' to make my life easier or automate in some way, I just don't find any practical use of computer science in my daily life? (Apart from if I have or job or what not) I can't really think of anything that interesting to do either, I don't really play games or have hobbies

>Jow Forums sucks
I think there are quite a few smart lads out there in the /dpt/, I remember this one tripfag called RubySempai! or something like that, was a real nice guy would always answer questions and stuff, seemed smart too.

I just don't know any other online community that I can enroll in that isn't like sjw/normie/cancer (different type of cancer to Jow Forums) unless im mistaken?

>Nothing
Kek why did you even bother learning? I'm a sophmore and I've already started on multiple non school related projects.

>Kek why did you even bother learning?
About 60% of my classes were genuinely interesting, had fun learning.

>Multiple non school related projects
Like what for example? I see a few people doing some random shit like making a weather app and so forth but that just seems like a waste of time to me, I mean for a while I was interested in projecteuler.com and did solve a few problems, though when you get to the higher questions you actually need a good mathematical background (probably graduate level) to solve those problems, since CS is a niche thing that only requires basic math or specific fields its not something you can do generally (im not a mathematician)

Ask your school what you should do, try to find a job on their advice, wait for something interesting to happen.

>CS is a niche thing
No. It's a generalized science for finding procedural solutions to problems which can be solved with computers. Nobody is going to force you to think of things you can do with what you've learned.

Here's a simple example, though: a startup company has an idea for a product with a valuable purpose which would benefit from having an embedded system to collect and output data from sensors. They want this system to cost far less than a raspberry pi, in order to lower the cost for production. What if the company is just you, working in your free time?

What if you were capable of building systems to interact with other systems, or operate standalone without any networking for optimum efficiency?

What if you wanted to DO something, instead of nothing? If you don't want to do anything it's your own fault.

>Ask your school
They keep fucking trying to jew me, they've sent these "Hi user your should join our Honors program" esque shill emails to my uni email, I don't trust anyone at uni with life advise (apart from direct professor advise, but I never talked to them though.)

I don't think we really get many computer science advise for jobs and stuff, nothing compared to like the business department where they get like biweekly emails for events to get jebs and stuff, pretty weird.

>goes to uni, ignores honors classes, doesn't talk with professors, doesn't get spoonfed privileges
Go fuck yourself.

Dude you think honors class is free? It costs money, uni is a business, do you think i'm honestly going to be a changed man after finished that one years honors class? Guess whats next they'll shill me to come join the masters program, then the phd program, then recruit me to be a professor, next thing you know im 40 years old.

I mean academia is meant for some people but I don't want to go down that route of trying to be a professor or researcher.

>Doesn't talk with professors
Who the fuck even does this? You go to a lecture, learn stuff, do your assignments and do exams, what reason would people have to talk to your professors? Yea in my years of uni I noticed the same faggots that keep talking to professors and try to befriend them, no surprises they are the student rep/repeaters of the class.

So instead of telling me to fuck myself tell me what I did was so wrong being a normal student.

Forgot to add, do you really think a professor wants to talk to some stupid kid that has like 1% of the knowledge a professor has, at least im not being a faggot and wasting their time being a fuckwit, I have the decency to only send emails if im stuck on a specific problem not ask how their day was so fuck you

>Doesn't talk with professors
>Who the fuck even does this?
People who are motivated enough to actually care about their future. Getting a professor to know who you are opens up opportunities. This could be student research positions, letters of recommendation for grad school, mentoring, or networking (they might know someone in the industry and put in a good word for you).
Half of those "same faggots that kept talking to professors" are the fuck ups that need all the extra attention they can get to pass the class, sure, but the other half are the ones that actually go on to do shit.

Some professors actually like teaching/talking to students, so long as the students are mildly talented and want to learn.

It all costs money. Honors classes have smaller attendance, greater interaction with instructors, and deeper understanding of subjects. You don't give a fuck about any of that. You talk with professors to get answers to the shit you're bitching about here--because they already know what working in the related fields is actually like, and can share actual experience. Those faggots talking with your professors aren't in your position, now. Really, you were the faggot. You weren't a "normal" student, you were just lazy.

They're teachers. You didn't have the imagination to understand what their fucking purpose was. Those faggots back then, they were figuring out what they were going to do next, and asking for advice. Most teachers, even 2/10 teachers, get off on giving advice.

Now you're just trying to justify your ignorance. Good luck with finding a job (and paying off all that tuition you fucking wasted, you poor, poor bastard).

ee fag here, ive seena lot of people kick it after classes to bug the prof and i feel like those people are generally faggots who panic at the first sign of not understanding something
but, sometimes you really have a good discussion with a professor about something career related. even just asking them how they ended up where they are now is interesting.

>doesn't talk with professors
>Who the fuck even does this?
I half agree with this user, I hate all those smarmy teacher's pet motherfuckers who endlessly suck up to the professor and even go so far as to waste everybody else's time doing it during class and during office hours when you 're waiting to ask a legitimate question and don't just wanna chop it up with them and suck them off. However, I absolutely will ask my profs about opportunities and general advice if I think they're knowledgeable and its worth the time but I'm not big at all on all that fake "networking" bullshit that always gets pushed.

Gotta respect the balance in both these guys' views, but OP is bitching about not knowing what to do after having already graduated, and seems self righteous about how he spent his time while in school.

Should he join a coding bootcamp and just shemp for a job? He seems hopeless

>Gotta respect the balance in both these guys' views, but OP is bitching about not knowing what to do after having already graduated, and seems self righteous about how he spent his time while in school.

What........ my original question was a general one about how people feel about knowing about computer hacking 'n shit after they graduated uni. I didn't come to bitch about not knowing what to do (even though that is a problem) I never made reference to this in Op.

I didnt imply I was self righteous about my time in school, fuck anyone could have done more if they really wanted to.

He should move to San Francisco lmao. Even if he can't into techwad job, the homeless lyfe here is pretty sweet.

Gibsmedats for everything, theft and open hard drug use are totally decriminalized and breddy nice weather you won't overheat or freeze to death in your sprawling tent city that the cops never do anything about.

Noice.

Boy, you seem to have some difficulty connecting dots. Hell, you seem to have trouble understanding what you communicate to others. No big deal.

Attached: 1495661053153.gif (300x153, 68K)

did your university not offer a security class?

There is no substitute for experience.

Attached: 1512804223679.gif (277x193, 1022K)

>started on multiple projects
Finish one then come back to us

>Like what for example?
Whatever you feel like doing. You will learn a ton more practical knowledge doing an actual project and seeing it through to the end than you ever will in a classroom or lecture hall.

I assume you did your bachelors.
Good now get your masters

projecteuler is one of the most useless resources on the web for learning to program

Programming isn't just coming up with abstract problems to solve with computers. Look at the problems you already face and think about how to solve those.

My honest suggestion? Try writing driver software or an app for your smartphone. Doing either of those will introduce you to a wealth of practical knowledge on what programming can *actually* be used for. Very little math is ever involved unless you are specifically working with a mathematical problem (which is why projecteuler is useless for most programmers)

Just use kali and learn by yourself you abysmal faggot

>goes to shituni
>shituni has shitprofessors who only ever worked in shitacademia or shitjobs
>learns shitlangs like java and python 3
>has shitsocialskills and doesn't interact with anyone the whole time
THIS IS THE FUTURE YOU CHOSE

Theory is the only interesting part of CS . Honestly OP it's too late know but if you wanted to learn programming you should have looked for software engineering programs
The only thing I can think of is wanting to make a better Jow Forums app for Android because clover is such shit for me. I'm not sure where to even start . I'm so rusty on my programming now. I don't know any JVM languages either .

I think you'd be very surprised how quickly you can run into an open Question in the field or a really good question that makes your professor stop and really think if you just keep asking questions .

If you went to college and never talked to your professors and never asked questions you wasted your time and money

Attached: jiZS_zGN_2w.jpg (1530x2160, 188K)

Start small and build from there. You want to make a Jow Forums app? Start off making an app that's able to display "something" from a web server. It can be literally anything at all, even the entire webpage's raw html.

If you've never made an app before, try writing a Java program that can do the same thing. It'll be easier to focus on one aspect of development at a time. There are tutorials that can show you how to do just this.

Here you go, straight from the horse's mouth: docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/networking/overview/networking.html

Yes LOL Uni just holds your hand and teaches you some basics to give you something to stand on.

Just do what my friend did get your degree, get an internship, be likable but unskilled and just polite to your boss and ride the social train to success. Real skills don't matter nobody cares just do mediocre and never really learn or think about anything.

If you want to improve you have to actually constantly write code. Shit code and make mistakes. You have to learn from the mistakes but if you aren't coding you aren't learning. Do your own projects that interest you and do a mix of trying to think through the problem on your own and googling how other people approach it.

>Here's a simple example, though: a startup company has an idea for a product with a valuable purpose which would benefit from having an embedded system to collect and output data from sensors. They want this system to cost far less than a raspberry pi, in order to lower the cost for production. What if the company is just you, working in your free time?
CS!=CE!=EE
What you said preferably require a EE+CS double degree.

I'm actually curious about Kotlin android dev

TFW opposite boat as OP

I want to start learning more and get a bachelors in computer science stuff but don't know where to start. I can try and start an online degree in the summer, but don't know where to start except maybe getting back into code academy or something for now.

I've been doing basic bitch IT stuff at work and love it since our IT sucks and now it's what I want to get into career wise. (Working with my .mil systems doing OS and IP configuring over a local network, but my skill are a little lacking) I've been trying to suck up as much knowledge from the contractor I've been working with, but I still don't know where to start. He mentioned an A+ cert but what do I need to study on for that?

dunno man, there's a shitload of computer-related careers that you can follow
what you learn in uni or courses are only tools for you to use; wits, skills, interest and effort are what makes you dwelve deeper
there's no point in staying closeted to your experience in college: you need to figure out how to use the tools that you acquired, meet people who are experienced in the issue, that sort of stuff
obviously, unless you study something related to security, universities are going to teach you things in a way (and context) that they are used for the labor market; not for breaking into the cia. so it's up to you and your wits to go towards that path
I'll give you a dumb example: my friend is an absolute tech illiterate. I know jackshit about computers but I'm fucking james kosta compared to him, he's always asking me to be his it guy whenever something happens to his pc
yet, he's a sly little weasel, really talented at social engineering. truly, the guy has a real knack for scamming and duping. so he is always doing shady shit on the internet, all from the coziness of his room. all by making friends, gathering contacts, dealing in favours, talking to the right people...
so just do some research about social engineering, mingle around informatics-related forums, wander around the internet,learn to think outside the box... I'd say that those things will give you some great help