How many devices you bricked?

How many devices you bricked?

Attached: 69E23FAF-CFA4-4279-9CF2-FEBE3C2C124E.jpg (900x900, 47K)

None, i can bring any windows phone back from the dead mother fucker

One already half-fucked psp when I was a kid

One of my TP-Link Routers bricked trying to install OpenWRT

Only true brick has been a $20 smartphone I bricked by flashing a dodgy aboot to in hopes of unlocking fastboot. I would rather not have bricked it, but it was just a $20 phone.

I fucked up my brother's ps2's cd playback by put in a C&C disc inside ("it has audio on it, let's see if this works".)

I also had an old Classic Mac with an external HDD as a kid. One day, my mom got so angry at me that she hit so hard it died.

0, I'm not a fucking Mongoloid.

I messed with all the consoles I owned and somehow never bricked them, how is even possible?

i bought a xiaomeme router 3g and installed lede, but i can't get internets on the wifi.

zero software bricks
i break phones all the time though cause im autistic as fuck

Does a device bricking itself count?

One gameboy advanced SP

Tore the screen off in autistic rage.

That's it. I'm better now.

My iPhone 3G way back in the day

Things don't just happen, user.

BQ X5 Plus. Stupid mistake of erasing a partition I shouldn't have during flashing.

Two. Faulty portable battery. Upon plugging in the second USB device (a Nexus 7) with the first (a Nexus 4) into a duracell portable battery, both immediately shut off and had to be warrantied.

I dropped mi41 when riding my motorcycle. The screen was busted as expected.
It happened twice.

Accidentally bricked a Fire 7 trying to install a ROM.

Sent it back to amazon saying I had no idea why it wouldn't make it past the boot sequence and got a full refund.

I accidentally bricked a smartphone, Galaxy S3 I think.

>I accidentally bricked a smartphone, Galaxy S3 I think.
Same here
Used the wrong ROM sadly

Two thinkpads while flashing libreboot.

My phone bricked randomly on me, woke up one day and the phone wouldn't boot at all. I assume it bricked trying to apply an ota update.

how does that brick it? just odin with the correct rom and partition tables

0 and I've done some risky shit like installing arm9lh on my old DS and installed unstable pajeet ROMs to my phone. How the hell do you even do that?

Two in my life, one from stupidity the second because I was impatient and skipped a step.

radeon 7950 because the waterblock I bought for it didn't fit. Newegg actually sent me the wrong model # graphics card but didn't honor a return so I tried to file the waterblock to shape.

Then later a radeon 7970 when I got a used waterblock off ebay and I guess I put it on wrong or something. No leaks, just all brick.

I think the moral of the story is don't be impatient with water cooling.

should mention the 7950 died because of an actual leak.

One.
Someone bought a PC off of me after he had gotten scammed on ebay, so I carted off his his shitbox with its "GTX 770." It was actually a reflashed GTS 450. Since the GTS 450 is still faster than integrated I tried to find a BIOS that would work, but after trying several it bricked.

The heat sink wouldn't keep it cool anyway so it was pretty much worthless.

my old iphone was running slow even after a factory reset so i bricked that and apple gave me a new one.

only my oneplus one (which i still) use. fortunately i could unbrick it thanks to xda with some chinese color os method. then i could flash stuff again.

Once xiaomi redmi note first gen, idk why i think the emmc already dead since beginning.

I fix it by buying 16gb emmc gluing and removing emmc are the hardest part, easiest part is rom installation it's a mediatek device so just plug play and rom are installed itself, first time repairing phone too so good for me.

Beaglebone black and an XBox (original) at Microsoft HQ Australia

Unless it's LG

Zero.

Permanently? None. I soft bricked all three smartphones I ever had though.

I bricked some Chinese HDMI encoder thing. But found a dump of the ROM and flashed it at work.

Just my NXT Mindstorm ;(

Attached: download.jpg (251x201, 6K)

None that I didn't unbrick afterwards.

Thousands, maybe more. I'm a reverse-engineer.

Hardware stuff typically involves destructive analysis at some point. Some stuff can keep running after decap which is great when you want to patch connections on a running chip and repackage, although those modifications are only good for a few days and will degrade.

Even software stuff can sometimes involve a hardware analysis to extract ROM contents from ICs unwilling to yield them, although glitch attacks can sometimes yield results too.

And of course there's always the prospect of tinkering around on live hardware and accidentally finding a killer POKE. Where we're going, we don't need datasheets.

I soft bricked one but that was easily fixed

how so?

I have awful hand and I'm awful at doing dangerous things.
I have bricked:
Thinkpad X200 with password on bios
Toshiba Satellite A100 with bad bios update
Samsung S3 with shit rom
Honor 8 lite with shit rom

Fuck my life

*hands

A shit chink mp3 player
A shit chink $10 Smartwach
I got pretty lucky in life when it comes to PCs phones and consoles

i bricked a bunch of harddrives by dropping them by accident. i stopped buying them because i am clumsy

old mp3 player
2 usb drives
old phone

I bricked a harddrive once

I softmodded my fat original Xbox and swapping out the default harddrive to a big one involved copying over everything from the old harddrive and then locking the harddrive with a certain key that the Xbox knew to unlock it with on startup. I fumbled that step and used a wrong key, didn't know the key to unlock the harddrive and BOOM, it was essentially a brick.

Fortunately I was able to return the harddrive and got a new one. I've never fucked up that badly since.

I almost bricked a new phone on the same day trying to update it. Turns out the connection with the phone and computer was a bit flakey, so I had to use a different cord. I also remember an old gateway desktop from ‘08 or so that I got that’s basically a doorstop. I think the motherboard is dead

I'm an embedded dev, so probably more than I'll ever know.

It wasn't the CD that fucked it up. PS2 could play music from any disc as long as it was in a format that it could recognise. So if a game CD has sound files in .wav you can out in the CD and listen to the files in the music player.

>how so?
Chip reading, but md5sums doesn't match.

Nothing yet, but you'd have to be an actual retard to brick the stuff I've dealt with.
>PS2
>3DS
>half a dozen laptops
>various COTS embedded hardware
Don't do stupid things and your hardware tends to stay operational.

but I fixed quite a few

my PSP's battery and an old mobo from the 90s (granted you could totally bring that back to life if you just replaced the fuse and probably a few capacitors)

A Dell ""gaming"" laptop which presented with memory issues, then died when I was playing Civ V and watching anime at the same time.

Just buy a BIOS chip off ebay???

Teach me your ways, master. Where do I begin?

>>PS2
Did you try install gentoo on playstation?

Soldering is too hard for me.

Nah, just FMCB. Like I said, you'd have to be a retard to screw up what I've touched.
I did a bit of Wii modding too, but that was so fire-and-forget I was able to teach my mother to do it after I left for college.

No, it isn't. Plus, some motherboards have sockets.

Bricked a handful of Android tablets, a Nook Colour, and an old Toshiba laptop. I could've fixed them, but I was a teen, and wasn't as tech savvy as I'd have liked to be.

Only one, my sister's phone. I was trying to install a custom rom, but I fucked her phone. She got angry as fuck.

Attached: 154894894841.jpg (500x370, 42K)

I bricked a VM at work

I had that happen but even the chink method couldn't fix it.
They replaced it for free, though.

Bricked several undocumented chinese microcontrollers while trying to find about their fuses.

Bricked an old HSM trying to test a known vulnerability.

None, and not from a lack of tinkering either. I have soft locked some devices before but have been able to recover them.
I just read instructions really carefully and have a stable power grid. CFW is tricky because sometimes nothing but reading and following instructions properly prevents you from bricking.

I have flashed a PSP DarkAlyx and m33 cfw.
Flashed an X360 disc drive that played online and never got banned. it finally died of red ring.
Flashed a Wii.
Flashed dd-wrt onto an old netgear.
Flashed android onto a windows HTC in order to use a USB exploit on PS3.
Flashed PS3 with rebug.

fun.

Soft bricks?
A few, but saved them each time, so no problem

If sha1sums not match - my chip is dead?

Besides putting a butterfly knife through my thinkpad T42 after the HDD got several bajillion bad sectors in the middle of an important project, I once had an HTC fire die of heat.
Ironic

Fucked a mobo up. Bricked a PSP but luckily I could unbrick it. Not much else.

-a gameboy advance sp my stupid sister broke the screen then i just destroyed the motherboard.
-an old sony mp3 I used a jack with uncovered wires and then connected to a 9v battery.
- a Nokia 5530, broken some cable, first digitalizer wasn't working then the screen
- same for Nokia c6
many other devices
I had a nice childhood

Once it was very close while creating dual boot to my N9.