/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 14535850066891.jpg (480x270, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vuugo.com/gigabyte-motherboards-GA-970A-UD3P.html?tracking=5108053939762
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022600/mini-pcs.html
download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-d3p_v.2.x_e.pdf
thehackernews.com/2018/02/torrent-download-software.html
bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1524#c24
aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-1pcs-3-5mm-Jack-6-Multi-Port-Aux-Headphone-Splitter-Audio-Cable-Adapter-Converter/32807415879.html
google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=implicit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Say I have two drives with different operating systems installed. Can I just physically switch them out and have the computer boot into them correctly with no hassle?

im gonna install a distro that hasent had an update since september. is this a bad decision, its a fedora spin.

thats a good question, it should be yes if you have the proper boot up setting in bios.

Source of pic and others? Google Images and others have failed me.

Attached: 1524288619722.jpg (1280x1280, 77K)

have this bios and updated it to latest bios and restore bios defaults and windows 10 isnt working so i wanna reinstall it wat settings do i hafta change in bios vuugo.com/gigabyte-motherboards-GA-970A-UD3P.html?tracking=5108053939762

You replied to the wrong guy, change boot order to the right category.

Moving from SA to UK. Do I have to change anything with my PSU?
I hear electronics can be region bound because of different countries power supplies

i dont know wat settings it changed tho

Gonna do an Arch/Windows 10 dual boot with rEFInd today. Which OS do I install first?

You can get adaptors for the type of plugs in the UK. Not sure what wattage your stuff would be outputting though.

would this work intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022600/mini-pcs.html

Also want to add I'll be installing both on an SSD and using a HDD for storage.

i dont wanna fuck up my bios. bad with computers

Yeah. But the plug is easy because the PSU outlet is the same shape everywhere right? I can just get a new cable

Yeah. I'd recommend getting kettle leads compatible with UK plugs, plus an adaptor or two so anything else you use works.

Attached: help.png (1920x1080, 120K)

heres my motherboard manual download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-d3p_v.2.x_e.pdf

>Gonna do an Arch/Windows 10 dual boot with rEFInd today. Which OS do I install first?
Doesn't Windows 10 ignore any other OS installed like a bossy bitch? Thus, I have read, you always install Windows 10 first.

What's wrong with GRUB, BTW?

Attached: 1440178615528.png (619x573, 182K)

Cool beans thanks

anyone can sole my problem ill pay

>Doesn't Windows 10 ignore any other OS installed like a bossy bitch?
That isn't specific to w10. Some versions would cooperate with other versions of windows (i.e. dualbooting 95 and 98, if you had a reason to do so) but nothing else.

Nothing desu, rEFInd looks pretty though. The way it went last time was that I reset Windows after changing my mobo and HDD. That was booting via BIOS. When I installed Arch, I was then unable to boot Windows because I couldn't see it in GRUB (or hack it in), and Arch and Windows weren't considered separately in the gigabyte BIOS either.

>desu
gookmoot pls

hey Jow Forums i need to upload a video of a car accident i caught on my dashcam but it's big of a file to email. i know VLC can convert it to webm so i tried that and it's still way too big. i know you guys hate these kind of questions but im kind of in a bind. any help is appreciated.

don't email it, use something else to transfer it

Testing onions

Where are you uploading it to?
If it is to a lawyer or the police take it to them on a CD, if its not either of those then it's probably not important enough to upload if you can't just put it on youtube.

it's an insurance guy. yah that's a good idea ill burn it on to a CD.

is there an alternative to ychan? it doesn't work anymore, it seems

Anyone knows how intel proceeds with old processor RMAs?
Specifically an older processor, in my case I have a fourth generation cpu that just randomly died some days ago and is still in warranty.
Just wondering what intel does with older processors as I assume most are not being manufactured any more, do they pull one out of a warehouse or give me a newer gen cpu within the same range of the old product at the time?

I would directly ask intel but customer support is taking a while and the FAQ just tells me it will be either the same product "or something like it" and I need to know as soon as possible.

I just bought a 4K/HDR Oled LG C7 55inch whatever

There are Some 4k videos and shit on netflix I could watch, but until I upgrade my PC it looks like it's not capable of displaying such high resolution right?

Is an Xbox One S more powerful than my 2010 build and thus perhaps a better tool for watching 4K on my tv than my pc until I upgrade?

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (700x566, 38K)

>Is an Xbox One S more powerful than my 2010 build
More powerful? Maybe, maybe not.
Newer? Yes, by far.
More capable? Yes, probably.
Better for what you need? 100%

GHz aren't everything.

from a search for "xbox one s 4k" it looks like at least the xbox should be capable of it

What's with numpy's shapes?
I want vector and matrices, and it disagrees because of its meme (10,) when I mean a 10 by 1 vector.

Attached: 1523926754709.jpg (480x953, 79K)

I want to use a pentium G860 with 4gb ram single channel as my seedbox with like 2000 torrents or so, should I go 8gb dual channel or will single with 4gb be enough?

im struggling with bspwm and its keybinding. how do I control windows? I know how to focus them but that's it. the config file isn't clear and its syntax is unreadable

uTorrent 2.2.1 will take all of 150MB so what do you think?

Use what you would spend on a Xbox one s to get a new GPU and you are done, a 1050ti should be good for that, maybe a 1060. But if you are not gayming or whatever then get a BD player that has Netflix and 4K output and you are done. It will be much cheaper.

that utorrent isn't allowed anymore on some trackers, even the 2.2.1, but if deluge/qbitorrent/transmission uses the same ram then OK.

I want to dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 onto my laptop
I already made a second partition in my hard drive and did all the right stuff with WUDT to install the win 7 iso into the USB
But I opened the boot manager and there was no option to boot with the USB drive
What can I do to fix this?

my laptop's an acer btw and I wonder if it has something to do with it

Attached: 1524267880131s.jpg (226x250, 3K)

Transmission probably uses even less.
The rest who knows.

Anyone think the Acer Swift 3 would be decent laptop choice that will last for around 3/4 years?

Any tracker that doesn't allow 2.2.1 isn't a tracker you need.

>What can I do to fix this?
Install Solus.

just installed firefox, shits got like 6 instances running in the background, almost a gb of memory being used. did I do something wrong?

One S also has Ultra blu ray player. The problem with your PC isn't so much the power, it's that a GPU that old would definitely not have HDCP 2.2 on its HDMI port.

I didn't check but last time I checked, RED and AB had that message on the first page, I didn't even check on GGn or whatever.

They only started banning it after the recent revelations that it's compromised as fuck.

It's not. You should probably bail from any site whose staff is too dumb to figure that out.

No, that's the multithreading for stability/security. That's a normal amount of ram for a modern browser to use.

Need a laptop that has 1080p screen res, and is decent for somewhat demanding tasks, and will last about 5 years. £700 budget, suggestions?

I'm on a machine and iftop shows me connections that neither originate nor are addressed to my machine. Ipv4 routing is disabled and interface is not in promisc.
Am I missing anything?

thehackernews.com/2018/02/torrent-download-software.html

Doesn't apply to 2.2.1 or before.

Wrong. You're thinking of the shit the company added since they went full malware mode. This is a vuln that predates that.

Try for yourself, moron.
It doesn't apply to 2.2.1 or before. That's why every fucking tracker worth mentioning still has them whitelisted.

>Ormandy also provided proof-of-concept exploits for μTorrent Web and μTorrent desktop (1 and 2), which are capable of passing malicious commands through the domain in order to get them to execute on the targeted computer.

Anyone knows where I can find the post beep codes for AsRock AB350m Pro4? They're not in the manual for some reason.

And? uTorrent 3.x has been a steaming pile since the start. They did nothing but take 2.2.1 and add ads and vulnerabilities to it.
Guess what? Those vulnerabilities don't apply to 2.2.1.

I wear my headphones all day every day, only taking them off to sleep.
Is there anything I can do to prevent them from eventually looking like this? (and maybe a decent Idea on how to clean that?)

Attached: 20180421_143623[1].jpg (3264x1836, 2.3M)

>Those vulnerabilities don't apply to 2.2.1
Which is what I already said. We are not talking about the modifications made since 2.2.1, we are talking about a problem that has existed since uTorrent 1 (see quote), and was only recently discovered by the same google division that unearthed the spectre exploits present since the 90s.

I'm not suggesting you switch to utorrent 3.X, I'm suggesting that people get their head out of their ass and quit recommending years old internet facing software that will never receive an acceptable update when there are plenty of decent alternatives.

what the fuck
wash your hair and face
switch to pleather earcups so they're easier to clean

What's a good keyboard with decent-feeling keys? All I'd use it for is light gaming but I'm not bothered about macros, RGB lighting or much else other than a nice key feel. Preferably under £50, at the moment I don't have a desk so using a wireless chiclet-style logitech kb, works alright but some keys are failing to register without a hard press.

Attached: I don't know.jpg (320x240, 10K)

It depends on what you're hosting. Memory use for non-retarded torrent clients is determined more by the number of files / blocks in every torrent than anything else. You can make uTorrent or transmission-daemon hit 100+MB with two MAME torrents for instance.

So for most workloads, probably more than enough. If you're building a seedbox for a site that deals in huge file sets like pleasuredome, probably not.

Attached: torrent_memory_use.png (1920x1080, 299K)

Dude, those are references, not version numbers.

Testing onions
Testing onions

I want to simultaneously listen to audio output from two computers using one pair of headphones. I've been looking for something like pic related (took me ten hours in green is my pepper), but all I've been able to find is a shitload of audio/mic splitters.
Is it actually possible to splice two stereo channels into one like this, or is the problem just a matter of nobody making them/me being shit at searching?
Failing that, are there any decent mixers that don't take up much space/hurt sound quality and don't mind being left on constantly? I know fuck all about mixers but they seem like my only other option.

Attached: Untitled.png (640x400, 9K)

Hey Jow Forums, is there a general Ranger conf file?
I use the one in my home folder (~/.config/ranger/rc.conf) but (obviously) when I execute ranger as root I don't have my configuration set.
Can I configure ranger also for when I run it as root?
Thanks in advance

utorrent 2.2.1 has partial vulnerability. It takes more to exploit it than it would 3x, but it can be done. I don't have the link to the full write up on me that explains it more clearly, but there's this

bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1524#c24

There's a larger argument that goes beyond what you can convince a single minded person of, that using up to date software is important when that software has direct internet exposure.

Male splitters are pretty much non-existent.
Get a female splitter and a male-to-male cable for each side.

It doesn't, and all your hand-waving in the world won't make it so.

Like vim's "/etc/vimrc" I mean, that affects every user and the root

aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-1pcs-3-5mm-Jack-6-Multi-Port-Aux-Headphone-Splitter-Audio-Cable-Adapter-Converter/32807415879.html
something like this should work

Thanks; I suppose I'll have to go with that.

Your position is clear. There is literally no evidence I could provide that would change your mind. But this thread will get its share of shit advice anyway, so it's not like it matters.

Post proof of concept, moron.

Just found out about Google Fusion Tables that can connect to data including Google Sheets. I have a spreadsheet that does a frequent JSON URLfetch but it can only last a few hours of the day before maxing out the daily quota.

Is it possible to use Google Fusions to bypass this in any way, and if so, how? google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=implicit

Probably no one knows, but worth a shot.

I'm working on an access database but the thing is that it is going to be used by blind users via screen reading software, mostly NVDA.

The issue is that the table cells are read as follow:
>data table column three row five blue
>data table column three row six yellow
Etc

I want it to read like it is in Excel with just the cell content being said.

Does anyone have any clue on how to do this? There is nothing about this online, not with any nvda or access support either.

OK !

Why, when people respond in the Youtube Comments, they only write the name to the person they respond to and then start with the message

"Hello you fucking asshole I don't think so"

But "Hello you fucking asshole" is actually part of the name and not part of the message.

Why won't people use
@Name I Respond to: This is my message

Or similar, how people do it on irc, for example

I just installed Linux on my SSD.
Is there any reason to reformat my second storage hard drive (where I keep movies, pictures, etc) from NTFS file system to ext4, or does it not matter?

Attached: 2018-04-21_15-20-23.png (1601x900, 69K)

If you still use Windows on another drive or something don't do it. (also, formating will erase everything).
The "ntfs-3g" linux package lets you mount a NTFS drive automatically and without problems

How the fuck did the father of this girl paid for the electricity bill?

Attached: [Reaktor] Serial Experiments Lain - E10 [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio].mkv_snapshot_17.59.jpg (1520x1080, 203K)

ntfs will be much slower than it is on windows, so if you can back up your stuff and put it back on, make it ext4

Please help, guys

ntfs performance is slower in linux, as it's supported by a userspace driver (FUSE)
it works just fine though. if you have no reason to use the drive in windows again, then you should convert it when you have the time
keep in mind also that ntfs doesn't into unix permissions, this may or may not be a problem for you

# ln -s /home/[user]/.config/ranger /root/.config/

Thanks for the answers, guys.
I'm gonna reformat to ext4 for the higher speed, since I'm looking to completely leave Windows behind.

why does boolean values show up as smiley faces in sql? and how do i change it. same thing on multiple pcs.

Attached: Untitled.png (380x268, 2K)

Thanks for the reply. But this will only change the configuration of "root", not of every user (+ root), won't it?

Your current user and root will share the same config.

Is there a way to have only one conf file for every user (and root)? Like /etc/vimrc

>Now FF's security is actually on par with chromes, instead of being laughably inferior.
That's the thing, Firefox made themselves redundant. Addons were the one edge they had over Chrome as far as users are concerned, and they just willingly gave it up. Now it's just a gimped Chrome, and if I wanted to use that, I would have been using the original all along. So I'd rather stick to Palememe, which has the RAM optimization going for it too.

Attached: DE9Y1vtU0AAAjHx.jpg orig.jpg (3036x4048, 940K)

Look under FILES in ranger's man page

ranger reads several configuration files which are located in $HOME/.config/ranger or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/ranger if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is defined. You can use the --copy-config option to obtain the default configuration files. The files contain further documentation.

I'm sorry but I don't really know what they mean with that "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME "

I need help setting up my brother's PS4.

My wifi signal is absolute shit so the console needs to be connected via ethernet cable.

There router is at my room and there's a cable that goes to my brother's room, plugged at his computer right now. I already learned that you can't simply use a splitter and connect both the PC and the PS4 from the same cable.

How should I approach this if setting up another cable is not an option?

Where did all of my hard drive space go?

Attached: 80c.png (200x226, 18K)

windirstat

You can put another router in his room (connected thorugh the cable with your router).
He can connect his PC, PS4, etc.. to that router

Can I use a switch like this one for that?

Attached: 51rf6vXgZ4L._SL1163_.jpg (1163x418, 51K)

I'm not sure but I think so. I'm using one very similar right now for the same purpose actually

Ranger doesn't support a system-wide config. A work-around you could do is define that $XDG_CONFIG_HOME to some system folder yourself and put configs in it. It's possible that may make other programs that rely on that variable misbehave though.

Setting system-wide environment variables is specific to what system you're running so look it up.