Why is discord so hated here when any sensible person would only use it for gaming chat and not talk about personal...

why is discord so hated here when any sensible person would only use it for gaming chat and not talk about personal issues on the service, and its just another non-free software program that you need to run games, just like the official nvidia/amd drivers, steam and origin / battle net.

also how is this any different from xbox live party chat and playstation network's multi-voice chat.

how is it any different than skype? skype was owned by microsoft for gods sake.

i know people used teamspeak back in the day, but that was mostly advanced users. A lot of people would just group call their friends on skype.

Attached: discord.png (263x300, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/discord.html
git.2f30.org/sscall/log.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

im not shilling for discord either, im just trying to understand why everyone hates it.

im open to discussion and want to know why everyone hates it.

Don't ask questions.
Just don't use Discord.

Attached: fuckdiscord.png (722x135, 24K)

Based discord
If they could autoban any server containing the words dank, kekistan, liberalist as well as literally any pol buzzword their service would be 2000% better

I really don't care whether they read my gay furry erp sessions or not

Attached: 2018-04-16-110803_416x413_scrot.png (416x413, 248K)

Th-they owe me an explination!!!!1!

>proprietary protocol
>single client
>can't host your own server
>datamining
>made for tards, by tards
also, stallman.org/discord.html

Go to bed discordfag employee, you have some badwords to add to the filter tomorrow.

. . .

Attached: 1521548461447.jpg (1200x1200, 73K)

It's bloated garbage. It's only slightly better than skype, and it's because it doesn't fuck with their API (yet). You should convince your friends to use true unix way voice chat, like suckless (aka 2f30.org) sscall (only for unix).

git.2f30.org/sscall/log.html

Attached: .png (489x129, 41K)

>count dankula

one of the most beta-fag-pandering youtubers ever. I don't actually feel bad for all the shit thats happening to him lmao hes a cunt.

not saying he should be going to jail but im more laughing that he is than feeling bad for him cos he's such a weird cunt

Feel bad about the UK but he does look like a giant faggot and deserve to go to jail just based on that.

>over 8000
>not over 9000
One job.
Of course, the trendy maymay loving normalfaggot pretenders are bound to fuck it up, some count dankula he is, are these meme faggot e celebs really riding on the "dank" wave normies have took up ? Everything is a fucking meme now, kinda like everything is an app, image £acros, reaction images, political events, they just label everything as a meme. No soul, no thought, no nothing in them.

why would you expect a cellphone and desktop ricing consumerist board that masquerades as a technology board to have rational opinions about this

>why is discord so hated here when any sensible person would only use it for gaming chat and not talk about personal issues on the service, and its just another non-free software program that you need to run games, just like the official nvidia/amd drivers, steam and origin / battle net.

you are wrong; the biggest servers are non gaming related.

stallman article prompted me to post here

everything in the list you could apply to xbox live, skype and steam voice chat as well.

>proprietary protocol
skype xbl and steam are proprietary (not talking about source games im talking about the voice service)

>single client
skype requires the latest version of the skype client
xbox live party chat requires an xbox or games for windows live
steam voice chat requires the steam client

>can't host your own server
neither can you on skype
neither can you on xbox live
neither can you on steams voice service

>datamining
unless you work for discord you cant prove they are data mining
if we go off the same limb that if a service is propietary it datamines, then that means skype, xbox live and steam mine data as well. Also lets not forget that banks, insurance companies, internet service providers and online stores data mine their customers too.

>made for tards, by tards
its nothing like google's left wing bullshit. they seem to have a nice sense of humour and they know how to meme properly too. for an april fools video they literally uploaded a copypasta to youtube and it was pretty funny. Also, they know how to make devblogs fun to read. Its aimed at normies that sorta know their memes and are cluey about the internet, but at least they tell you what they've added instead of changing shit without telling you like google does especially with youtube. Also, if you are an advanced computer user and your friends are in that same level of caring about having your own server and using your own stuff (im talking about the people that will host their own counter-strike server for their buddies instead of playing on public servers) - if you're one of those people that likes to do their own servers, you'd be using teamspeak anyways. discord is sorta just like the public server browser of voice services, and teamspeak is the custom password locked forum-based home-run server that you and a few buddies play cs source on.

exactly my point dude. i know fags who look better than him and he's straight

I'd unironically use it if the privacy policy wasn't fucking aids. Same reason I don't use Skype.
>i know people used teamspeak back in the day, but that was mostly advanced users
Top fucking kek. It was a bunch of 13 year olds. You're thinking of Mumble.

i don't.

when hte FBI finds your furry roleplay and edgy meme jpegs from discord and uses it against you in court

i know 30 year old men on my steam i met in games that refuse to use discord and send me teamspeak links instead. I'm sure its because they are too old to vibe with the memes and bullshit of discord, or are just slow to move with the times (thats not a problem either, its just like the fellas that still play cs source and have played it since day one and haven't even bothered with csgo) also... would you ever find someone like linus using discord? i dont really think so.

There are people on Jow Forums RIGHT NOW defending proprietary software. Absolutely horrifying.

fuck then i should just throw away all my mp3's and convert any songs i have that are mp3 format into flac and waste hard drive space heck

>nonfree client
what the hell is he talking about?
did he pay something to use the client, because i didn't, i didn't crack it either.
OH, maybe by nonfree he actually means NONCOMMUNIST

>his drive isn't big enough to hold his flac files
Apply yourself. Terabyte hard drives are only $30. Go pick some up, faggot.

you're not free to modify or redistribute modified copies of the client (you could patch out the various data-collection "features" from the desktop client otherwise)

this isn't nonfree, this is closed source

i only use it to go into one server where all the people i've met in the past year like to talk. it's a small community and feels just like an old IRC channel. if they were to switch platforms so would i.

>everything in the list you could apply to xbox live, skype and steam voice chat as well.
Yes and you shouldn't use those services either. I don't know what the problem here is, if you want to not get sucked into a trap, avoid botnets.

>banks, insurance companies, internet service providers and online stores
Because none of those institutions have ever been predatory and mishandled customer data, right?

"Closed source" misses the point, their client is all javascript so you can unminify the source pretty easily and mess around with it, but the problem is they are actively working against the community by restricting their client in mostly arbitrary ways.

>why is discord so hated here when any sensible person would only use it for gaming chat and not talk about personal issues on the service
Except shills like you like to force it into every general I use, whether it's gaming related or not. Also it's bloated garbage written in a garbage language.
>also how is this any different from xbox live party chat and playstation network's multi-voice chat.
See above. Just because it has bot support and a dedicated chat room people like to cram it into everything you
>how is it any different than skype? skype was owned by microsoft for gods sake.
Skype is garbage too. Everyone hated Skype as well but unlike discord faggots didn't go around screaming about how you should add them on Skype but the same niggers spam their discord link everywhere
>i know people used teamspeak back in the day, but that was mostly advanced users. A lot of people would just group call their friends on skype.
Okay go pal around with your buddies but don't shove your shit server in my face. I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to talk about my own interests.