Synology

Are synology Nas botnet? I do really like dsm and the boxes itself. Should I buy one or get rpi 3 with omv?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (800x800, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

synology.com/en-us/company/legal/privacy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wouldn't buy them on account of previous snafus, but boy do their cases give me a utalitarian hardon

They more or less are. They run closed software and their services likely have analytics.

Its probably better to get a case and purpose a low power processor to run an OS and some programs like: ssh, mdadm, and cifs for network storage.

Apache2, Nextcloud, openvpn, ddclient, could all be projects you could learn if you want to extend it to be accessible over web.

Attached: Debian.jpg (640x427, 17K)

anyone here built a NAS?

no

building a NAS is just building a computer which you then install Samba on

I have one and it's pretty sweet. Basically runs itself and it's stupidly easy to set backups and run Plex. It's also easy to share among family who aren't NEETs and don't compile programs for fun. You can opt out of sending Synology back any info or run your own ddns to avoid using theirs.

Highly recommended.

Which one do you have?

heat and power consumption are an issue. i figured it was the case but i haven't built one

They really aren't. If you can afford to buy the thing you can afford the power to run it, modern CPUs throttle back and consume very little power at idle. If you insist regardless just get one of those ITX boards with an integrated Atom, or one of those embedded Celeron things. They use less power than the hard drives you'll be connecting to them, and they aren't painfully slow and inadequate like an RPi

I have a DS213J running with two 1TB drives for about 5 years now. I do backup things of emotional value to AWS Glacier every two weeks, so I am aware of being part of the botnet.

The device runs without any problems. I never had to reinstall it. I have never lost any of my files and with automatic updates, maintenance is limited to dust removal.

> Are synology Nas botnet?
Maybe.

> get rpi 3
No. RPi are slow as fuck even as storage servers.

Get an Odroid HC2 or XU4 or something if you must. Rock64 or was also said to work, but I never tried that.

Or just get an onboard Intel mainboard.

Whatever the recent 2 bay one is. I don't use it for media since I stream everything, but I've downloaded some iso's with it and gave others in my family some folders to back up stuff.

Just use common sense firewall/router configs and good passwords to minimize exposure to the internet and it'll be fine.

power consumption and heat might be an issue in some areas / different applications.

> heat and power consumption are an issue
Power consumption is something to keep in mind, yes. But from 4 drives onwards you can say the onboard Intel boards or other obvious choices are really rather efficient. Just don't pick the worst PSU imaginable.

Under 4 drives I'd consider an ARM single-board computer, but not the slow maymay Pi.

Heat is a standard thing computer cases and builds are set up to deal with- apart from whether it will drive up your AC power bills there isn't anything much to worry about.

I have had one of OPs pic for several years now. Never had an issue with it

Whether or not they're botnets, the hardware is fantastic and their OS is spectacular. Granted, it is just a Linux file server under it all, and you can set up something similar by rolling your own and/or installing XPEnology on custom hardware.

do they still brick after 18months?

anyone here built a NAS?

i did without planning to

my i7 desktop from 2008 slowly collected more and more drives over time until one day it was magically a NAS

currently mirroring 4tb of DSD and Hi-res PCM alone... need more SATA

Attached: IMG_5027.jpg (3264x2448, 2.6M)

I've had one for a few months, use it as a plex box and to backup my stuff

You can turn off the data tracking. They just collect app usage and whatnot: synology.com/en-us/company/legal/privacy

Can you overclock them?

>buy an enterprise 20tb hard drive when it comes out in 2020
>have a 40tb NAS
I see no problem with this

>ctrl-f
>jtag
0 results

>muh cyberpunk future blah blah blah
no 1 of you are ready

Attached: 1517751165518.jpg (882x624, 122K)

@65644065
Kill yourself.

what does jtag have anything to do with nas? you think i'm going to buy expensive hardware with customer support just in order to break it open so i can reverse engineer how it fucking runs? go ahead, do it, please, make a blog about it and tell us what an awesome and smart guy you are.

wait you are just a random ni/g/ger on Jow Forums

a raspberry pi will not be 1/10th as good as a real NAS.
It's network speed and performance is laughable, torrenting alone can be too much for a rpi3 if you have too many added.

Meanwhile an energy efficient but powerful full featured NAS can run as many docker images and applications as you can possibly want in parallel and never have a problem.
I'm currently hosting multiple personal websites, Emby AND Plex, a book server, two torrenting clients, Sonarr and a bunch of automation apps off my NAS.
I was able to do maybe 2 or 3 of those at a time off a rpi3 and not very well.

Of course you can go the diy route and just build a NAS which is also a good option.
It's more whether you want it to be cheap and more open or smaller and more efficient.

>previous snafus,
such as?

>Skimp on nas
>overpay for hdds

I'm tossing up between getting an appliance grade NAS or rolling my own in FreeNAS

>only use NAS for encrypted backups
problem solved

>a raspberry pi will not be 1/10th as good as a real NAS.
This. But cheaper pre-built Nas-especially are trash as well. The best option is building your own nas, both for poorfags and those with cash. But if you have money and just want a hands-off appliance a higher end nas is good.

FreeNAS is always better than any shitty consumer appliance. HP microserver, some shitty drives, extra ram, freenas on it, done. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes buying shit online on amazon, 5 minutes unpacking and assembling when it arrives, 5 minutes installing freenas and another 5 configuring your basic raidz2

20 minutes for everything, considering the average de/g/enerate IQ

You really don't need to use freeNAS, you can use anything, even windows server and get a better bas than a pre-built.

>buying windows licenses

are you the faggot that used to post his pathetic vcenter enterprise plus screenshots and claim he knows what he's doing?

I bought a DS218+ recently and it's pretty good.
Just a tiny box with more than enough headroom to function like a home-server.
I'm extremely happy with it, but it's still a $300 diskless NAS.
I was fully aware that I could have gotten something as powerful for much cheaper if I just built something though.
Heck I had a spare intel board and CPU lying around anyway.

No that's not me and I have never paid for windows and I never will

But if you're gonna compare proprietary solutions it's a option (but never pay)

Good luck not having any downtime when your raidz2 becomes degraded and you have to switch everything off in order to replace disks.

They use Atoms that suffer from C-bug. It doesn't even matter if they are botnet or not, because they self destruct.

I am currently running an Intel NUC. It's great, I use it for Plex with Sonarr and Radarr, ownCloud, website hosting, etc. However, I am at the point where my storage needs have increased quite a bit and need to upgrade to a solution with a disc bay.

Comparing the price of a Synology product with the cost of parts for a custom built NAS, it seems like you can build one for about the same price with far superior hardware. However it seems like the boards in this price range (175-225) are very error prone. And it seems like you need to get one comparable with ECC memory? I'd probably rather go with a product with more reliable hardware then having to deal with the RMA process. Anyone have to make a decision like this recently that can advise?

> However it seems like the boards in this price range (175-225) are very error prone.
Even $60 J1800 boards aren't very error prone, so I think you're wrong.

> Anyone have to make a decision like this recently that can advise?
Yea, I just went with an AsRock board with onboard Intel and Linux. No ECC RAM, everything cheap. Works fine for me.

What OS did you go with?

Fedora. The system drive is a 32GB USB stick.

Debating myself on getting something in the DS218 range, how many apps do you use?

> it seems like the boards in this price range (175-225)
Which board?

>you need to get one comparable with ECC memory?
You don't at all.

> Anyone have to make a decision like this recently that can advise?
I use my old 2500k system as a home server haven't had a issue for the year I've used it for this purpose (nor the 4 years before that)

Could I build my own NAS? Yes. Do I want to? No.

To me a NAS needs to be babby level easy because if I am in a situation where my pain PC if fucked or I really need something from the NAS I want zero hassle. Synology DSM OS gives me that.

I recommend getting a + model. I used to have a ds213 and now I have a ds1517+ I believe it is. (5 bay)

Because its a pain in the ass to upgrade with just 2, also if you have for example 2 10TB drives in RAID1 and one dies, there is a high chance the other dies during the rebuild... so now I demand 2 drive redundancy...

But anyway, one reason to get a + model even if its a two drive, is sometimes certain functions only work for those models. Example, I run a webpage using docker and it needs + model to run.

If you must, get the DS218+. It has a much more powerful x86 CPU while ds218 has a shit ARM cpu.

the problem with these prebuilts is not only the high price it's the limited bays. 2 bays means you can use 1 drive after redundancy, when you need more you either need to get a new nas or replace the HDDs instead of just adding more.

Or you can pay $200 extra for another HDD bay.

It's fine that you cannot into computer, but you really don't belong on Jow Forums.

I can make a NAS no problem, the issue is, to me a NAS needs to be so stupid easy, that I could instruct a brainlet on how to use it if I needed them to instead of me. I use it to serve my family files also. The apps for phones is also nice.

Thank you gentlemen.

Although going to a 4 bay drive would be nice and forward thinking, I can't justify as by the time I've hit the NAS's capacity I'd probably be in the market for a new one.
I'm also along the same lines as you. I want a "It Just Works™" NAS with my "It Just Works™" Veeam backups.

I personally like macrium reflect but I havent used veeam so I cant comment there

>Although going to a 4 bay drive would be nice and forward thinking, I can't justify as by the time I've hit the NAS's capacity I'd probably be in the market for a new one.
Assuming you plan to store more than 4TB data, you're then wasting money not only on the NAS but also on a larger hard drives, plus the space you could save with RAID5. And you wouldn't need to upgrade a custom NAS fully in a loooong time.

Say for example you want to store 8TB data, you'd have to get:
2x 8TB drives $220 ea, 8TB usuable space = $55/TB
4x 4TB drives $105 ea, 12TB usuable space = $35/TB
Pretty large difference.

Ultimately, it's about how much you want to save now only to spend later and how much you value iphone-like ease of use instead of better value and more control.

Currently, I have a few hard drives in my main PC, and a few extra drives stored in a Mediasonic Pro. The only thing I need the extra drives for is media storage for the Plex server on my main PC. Would getting a dedicated NAS like a Synology benefit me?

these are consumer nases made for soccer moms who can't do anything. They're not more reliable than a homebuilt made from consumer hardware, unless you in fact are a soccer mom who yells at her husband when she sees something unfamiliar on screen. If you can figure out how to set up a VM you can build a NAS as reliable as a synololigy shitbox.

Short answer is no. Most NASes can host a plex server but they suck for transcoding except for the hardware supported codecs (Which are most likely hardware supported on your playback device as well)

I have a 216jplay. It's awesome for many different reasons. Botnet is also a meme at this point. It the Jow Forums version of the illuminati; some small basis in reality and a lot of made up shit. Notice a guy in this thread just answered "probably" and everyone rolled with it.

You have to ask yourself: do I want a nother job? If the answer is yes, build your own.