Brainlets of Jow Forums couldn't solve this >>>pol/168982854

Brainlets of Jow Forums couldn't solve this >>>pol/168982854
Can you?

Attached: 1522857134457.jpg (800x600, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

math.stackexchange.com/questions/1714493/order-of-precedence-multiplication-vs-division
mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/operator-precedence.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh wow, an ambiguously written equation that has differing answers based on how you interpret what the information given is trying to convey. I sure feel bamboozled.
Where is the technology again?

20/5=4
4(2*2)=16

5(2*2)=20
20/20=1

It's 16.
PEMDAS.
20/5(2*2)
Parentheses first.
20/5(4)
Multiplication and division left to right.
4(4)
Multiplication and division left to right.

Found a first brainlet. Only correct answer is 1. kys

Attached: 1500535772792.png (485x443, 32K)

remember, PEMDAS left to right, the answer is 16
dunno why this common core shit is claming that getting 1 is the "old way" you have to have autism to solve it like that :^)

Attached: slow metal.jpg (784x640, 39K)

Mathematical notation should be change to be more consistent. the Implicit way a lot of things are done causes students to lose interest in math because as soon as they think they are getting it, some 36 year old cat lady comes in with a shit eating grin and shits on children with her mastery of 9th grade math. When students ask the teacher why things work the way they do, they reply with "i'm not going to spoon feed you" mean while Richie Rich has a personal tutor

I would be more worried about the entire building tipping to it's side.

Attached: file.png (158x35, 567)

>nobody knows what pemdas is anymore

The future is bleak, lads.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-21 20-37-47.png (697x617, 51K)

I didn't go through common core but I was taught that the answer is 16.

wtf? You gotta do parenthesis first bro

no that's stupid, garden sentences exist in language and nobody is arguing for changing the rules on english

pemdas isn't even a universal thing
this is from a nobel prize winner physicist, 1/2√N, pemdas leads to the wrong answer

is this real

>an ambiguous expression can be evaluated in two different ways
yes it's real

The shocking thing here is that they use a slash for one-line division.

Jesus fuck stop being such reactionists for once, I get it, you hate women because you can't get laid, and you hate school because you were bullied, so you must super hate female teachers. But there's nothing wrong with what she's saying

you motherfucking retards the answer is one how can someone on a fucking tech board not know you do the calculations inside the brackets first jfc

>brainlet calling someone else a brainlet

Wrong. It's not ambiguous. You're a brainlet.

The answer is unambiguously 16.

it isn't about the parenthesis you dumb shit, it's about doing the division or the multiplication first
holy shit and YOU are calling others retards?

So thats what mathematical illiterate people debate about, on how to evaluate some ambiguous expression?

you do parenthesis first, then clearly it is:

___
5(4)

how am I wrong you ingrate

Yes, it's a bikeshed argument. They can't do actual math so they argue about the color of the shed ie the order of operations in ambiguous expressions

>Multiplication and division left to right.
I thought multiplication was higher priority than division and did that first, so my answer was 1. Now I'm not sure where I picked that up.

Don't most programmers paranoidly put parenthesises around math equations even though they know the operator precendences?

5(4) is not in parenthesis

Shouldnt you americans argue about important issues? fucking kek

Not a tehcnology thread. Go back to Jow Forums with your low effort flame threads.

Nobody who has to use math will use a division bar without parentheses.
They will write either (20 / 5) * 4 or 20 / (5 * 4) because they understand 20 / 5 * 4 is ambiguous. There's nothing more to it than that

parenthesizes are also used to manipulate preferences

ie: 1 * 2 + 4 =/= 1 * (2+4)

5(2*2)=5(4)
fucking dumb nigger

implicit multiplication is higher priority than explicit multiplication

Also if somebody actually writes 5 (2 * 2) he deserves to get bitch slapped

I don't get why most people don't use brackets where they should, they simplify so many problems such as this

>((20/5)*(2*2))=16
>(20/(5*(2*2)))=1

I mean, would it hurt to teach kindergarten this instead of common core bullshit?

You’re clueless and it’s not even funny it’s just sad

1*2+4=
2+4=

1*(2+4)=
1*(6)=

(You)

You're missing the point.
If it was 20/(5(2*2)) it would be clear.
But it's not.

You either go left to right: (20/5)(2*2) or give precedence to multiplication by juxtaposition (which is a popular convention but not a formal rule): 20/(5(2*2))

It's not called a preference it's called associativity and you're right but you chose an extremely dumb example because both expressions evaluate to the same number lmao

>give precedence to multiplication by juxtaposition (which is a popular convention but not a formal rule): 20/(5(2*2))
This is the only rule m8

>5(
Geeh, i wonder why they couldn't solve it... Maybe because you fucking retard didn't realize that algebra doesn't accept 5(2*2) as a valid expression.
...and there is no dubious result, there is no ambiguity in algebra and there is no "old" way or "new" way of calculating things.
Newton's first and most important contribution was to define algebra.
Even with informal algebra, before newton, every fucking expression had 1 accepted solution

fuck im too tired for this dumb shit americans go through

no one writes fractions like this on paper in real life, seems like a bunch of teachers are too lazy to learn LaTeX or how to properly use Word, so they just want to stick a freaking slash there to represent division and the students can go fuck themselves.

Read this
math.stackexchange.com/questions/1714493/order-of-precedence-multiplication-vs-division

pemdas is far from a universal standard, some people will give multiplication precedence over division and others will do the operations from left to right

You should know, this being a tech board, that several programming languages do operations from left to right and others prioritize multiplication. But I guess you don't because you truly don't belong among smart people.

The only way to get 1 is to start in the middle of the equation, which is wrong. Everyone is taught to do the parens first, then work from left to right for multi/div. Not start in the fucking middle.

Why aren't they just using a colon?
That's what we used in elementary school.

okay Luke

Attached: 1504519675706.jpg (337x404, 27K)

>I thought multiplication was higher priority than division
The absolute current and past state of ameriturd education

I have literal shit tier Alabama education and we were taught where the answer is 16.

Is I right?

>retards can answer retarded question
also
>american "education"

>public education is shit
>public healthcare is shit
>public transport is shit
>no public services whatsoever
>ISPs are too expensive and offer shit speeds
>mobile carriers are too expensive and offer shit data caps
>houses keep becoming more and more expensive each year
>to land a decent job you must do college
>no public college
>private colleges are too expensive
>banks are in cahoots with hospitals and colleges so they give giant loans to middle class that they will have to pay for the rest of their lives
>banks fuck the poor by not giving them loans and applying a low credit record, so they can't even get a decent house
>no pensions so the average 'murrican has to either save money all their lives or go to daddy bank and ask it to take a part of their money each month so the bank gives it back to them with a measly interest rate when they retire
>cars are a must in 'murrica. They're also getting more expensive, need more repairs and since they're bigger, they consume more gas and are harder to park
>getting a decent job as a young person is becoming more and more difficult
>people with physical labor is exploited
>their two party system is a fucking joke
>school shootings are becoming more and more common
>the government doesn't care about passing laws to protect consumers
>'murricans have to understand taxes and then spend at least three hours per year calculating how much they have to pay and pay it. Even if they're outside of the USA, even if they don't live in the USA, even if they stop being 'murrican
'Murrica is such a hell hole holy shit.

Attached: Shaggie.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

>Wants government services to be actually good
fuck off commie

>pays more taxes than an average European
>works more
>receives less
'Murrican dream right there friendo.

I'm not american but nice job making yourself look like the dumbest person in this thread. Maybe go back to where you came from. I haven't been doing math problems in years and like this guy said there isn't even a universal standard for this. I vaguely remember being taught that way in school yet still didn't force my view to others. I said that I'm unsure about it now after this thread, instead of saying there is only one true way, my way. Now fuck off.

implying I pay taxes

just buy monero kid

>>ISPs are too expensive and offer shit speeds
You can get great internet with Comcast or Spectrum for about the same it would cost you to go with the local option, if not less.
>>mobile carriers are too expensive and offer shit data caps
StraightTalk exists for that.
>>no pensions so the average 'murrican has to either save money all their lives or go to daddy bank and ask it to take a part of their money each month so the bank gives it back to them with a measly interest rate when they retire
Not if you get a decent job.
>>cars are a must in 'murrica. They're also getting more expensive, need more repairs and since they're bigger, they consume more gas and are harder to park
Are you retarded? There are compacts and sedans in America and they are more popular than the trucks or SUVs.
>>getting a decent job as a young person is becoming more and more difficult
If you expect a good job without experience or education, you're a retard.
>>their two party system is a fucking joke
Seig Heil
>>'murricans have to understand taxes and then spend at least three hours per year calculating how much they have to pay and pay it. Even if they're outside of the USA, even if they don't live in the USA, even if they stop being 'murrican
Blatantly false.
>works more
>receives less
There are many factors that go into this. Entry level jobs will of course pay less, and if someone expects to support a family with that they're idiots. But even then, even a shitty dishwasher job can pay out $5 over minimum wage at least in some places. It's your fault for not going with the highest bidder.

Friendly reminder that PEMDAS is not an official rule. The correct answer to this equation is "rephrase this equation to remove any ambiguities".

I can never tell if people are trolling in these threads or they're just stupid.
Yes, the expression is ambiguous. One paradigm like a properly fleshed out PEMDAS will give you a unique answer, but the problem is that different paradigms are taught in different schools or different countries. The 'axioms' you use to interpret the problem are not universally accepted.
In the real world, if someone hands you an expression like that you shouldn't just spit out an answer like some kind of walking calculator. You ask them to rewrite it so that you know exactly what they meant. Conversely, if you're trying to show that expression to someone else, you should write it in a form that clearly shows what you mean in the expression, otherwise they're likely to get confused.

Attached: 1449156909503.jpg (800x600, 84K)

This.
The old way is and always was 16. Don’t trust communist faggots to be honest about “old ways” when their job is to indoctrinate.
Btw I am Jow Forums and you are a nigger

> and i-i = 1
What the fuck kind of retarded shit is this?

This is what the common core actually looks like. It's fucking horseshit and I'm glad I never had to be subjected to it. This was back when my school district was among the top in the country, but now because it's forced to abide by these autistic new rules it's fucking broken and below the top 100.

What programming language prioritizes multiplication?

Find me one that doesn't

All of them

The ones that do operations from left to right.

Attached: 1521147961238.png (291x291, 235K)

>PEMDAS
/thread

Real programmer's ones like Scrach

Attached: DHFtQf6U0AIoEvM.jpg (776x1024, 263K)

>i^2 = -1
What the fuck kind of retarded shit is this?

ITT: Psyops and memeops.

Attached: 1521906522822.png (480x466, 139K)

that is actually true

Don't you meme on me. Complex numbers are a field, and additive inverses (like -i) are defined so that the sum of a number and its additive inverse are always 0.

neither "answer" is correct, the statement is malformed (e.g it has no meaning or is ambigous).

Matlab follows pemdas

>People still fall for this shop

Attached: 1422151864277.jpg (3072x2304, 2.51M)

>writing fractions horizontally

someone should be killed for this

Based. You should teach those kids, not that bitch.

Attached: beardguy.gif (235x240, 1.93M)

Wrong
>Within each precedence level, operators have equal precedence and are evaluated from left to right.
mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/operator-precedence.html

Macfags can't calibrate a fucking projector?

>>>'murricans have to understand taxes and then spend at least three hours per year calculating how much they have to pay and pay it. Even if they're outside of the USA, even if they don't live in the USA
>Blatantly false.
this
>even if they stop being 'murrican
is false, the rest is true
you have to renounce to your 'murrican citizenship to stop paying taxes, because you have to keep paying, no matter where in the world you are

Attached: payload).jpg (300x300, 29K)

>>thisentirethread
but basically pemdas

G (grouping)
E (exp)
MD (mult/div left to right)
AS (add/sub left to right)

Left to right is the key. Answer is 16

>struggling with order of operations
All the niggers here need to do Khan Academy to brush up on their basic math skills.

dumb americans

I do it for readability and shit tends to get confusing if you have like 20 terms.

Then again, the best solution for such cases normally is to split the equation up into several variables.

>PEMDAS
>Multiplication and division left to right.
How brainlet can you be? It's right there in the acronym: peMDas. Multiply, THEN divide. Answer is 1 unless you are a retard like then you should become an hero

this is why companies hire indians and not ameriturds

if you write it:

------------------
5 (2 x 2)

then it's ambiguous as there is no cleat " left to right".
In that case I would tend to solve the denominator first, that would lead to a "wrong" answer..

No, it's multiply and divide, both left to right. The answer is 16.

t. state certified secondary mathematics teacher

>state certified secondary mathematics teacher
I trust random anons over you given the state of our education system
you are right though

Not this thread again

The way I learned it is multiplication and division were a single step. But reading this thread, it seems like these order of operations are not universal.