What are best backup methods for saving stuff including movies, music, etc...

What are best backup methods for saving stuff including movies, music, etc.... then just chucking the backup into a firebox?

Been reading mechanical is best because SSD without electricity degrades rapidly. Any anons know what is a good mechanical HDD or should I go SSD?

Isnt a flash drive the same as SSD? I found an old flash drive from my childhood with school papers on it from over a year ago and it seemed fine.

Attached: 1479885942508.jpg (640x512, 87K)

Can't go wonrg. Don't use SSD/flash drive for backup.

Attached: Blue.jpg (995x1393, 205K)

big external drive is fine, maybe look at a 2-4 drive NAS, they're set up so if one drive dies the information is still safe

>big external drive is fine,
Yep yep
>2-4 drive NAS
If op can op can afford it, most of the time a NAS is overkill. HDD are really reliable these days.

Tape drive is the only real answer

thanks user, are you suggesting blue from WD?

I was thinking of the RED series for long term? Do you have any reasons for blue over red? asking for a friend.

>NAS
thanks for advice on how to access the data universally across my home network but im loking to like chuck it one of those firesafes now and then.

>tape drive
Wouldnt that take forever say for a 28gb 1080p bluray copy of Spy?

Red are for NAS, they are made for work 24x7. So if you re just gonna make a backup, and store your hdd in a drawer for years, WD blue will do the trick.

thanks user for the advice, is there any tech reason people suggest blue? Does any company make like specific HDD types that are meant to just have data placed on them and left on a shelf for years?

I think he means those big IBM Corporate grade tape Archivers that use proprietary connections and are really expensive but are the best current option for large scale long term archiving

>proprietary connections
so I take it me being Joe Smoe cant run down to micro center and get a tape archiver it sounds like?

absolutely not, tapes are fun to tinker with if you're into servers and shit but you would only get a good tape drive used off ebay

>absolutely not, tapes are fun to tinker with if you're into servers and shit but you would only get a good tape drive used off ebay
fug, so just wondering as a regular non-G user, why dont they sell these to the public if so reliable?

> What are best backup methods for saving stuff including movies, music, etc
> saving movies

You are doing it WRONG

PRIORITISE YOUR DATA
DONT BUY ONE BIG DRIVE
BUY 2 SMALLER ONES
MIRROR

>PRIORITISE YOUR DATA
>DONT BUY ONE BIG DRIVE
>BUY 2 SMALLER ONES
>MIRROR
so just so i read what your saying right, your saying make 2 backups? i mean I see your point I could do that.

Video is too big to be worth a backup solution most cases and you can just store the metadata like the torrents to redownload them.

It's much better to mirror them with a filesystem like ZFS or BTRFS to prevent bitrot from shredding the videos over time or outright disk failure from knocking them out.

A mirror is not a backup but sometimes a true 1:1 backup isn't always warranted.

Because Business-to-business business is where the business is at, businessly speaking

>Because Business-to-business business is where the business is at, businessly speaking
i gotcha, makes sense but sucks for us normies :P

>Video is too big to be worth a backup solution most cases and you can just store the metadata like the torrents to redownload them.
well depends some movies are rare and hard to get take the exclusive directors edition of say the Village which is by M Knight Shamalon and revolutionized how films are made, these specific versions are very hard to get so I cant really rely on just being able to download them again since such genius often goes un noticed by the unwashed masses.

Of course.

The common stuff can just stick to an index file of what you have and where you got it but do backup the rare stuff.

USE A FILESYSTEM WITH CHECKSUMS BUILT IN

ZFS makes it easy to repair damaged files with redundancy.

If you want those files to last you need to take care of them.

Video files are especially prone to degradation and bitrot since they are such a fuckhueg target.

The layman will claim bitrot doesn't exist as he plays video games on his 8TB gold HDD and verifies his steam files once in a blue moon when a game stops working correctly.

Nearly every single instance of rot I've encountered has been a video file and chunks a small portion of it permanently.

>USE A FILESYSTEM WITH CHECKSUMS BUILT IN

alright im down for that, your talkin to a day one noob here. How the hell do I get a diff file system? I take it you mean format and choose this file system? All I see is NTFS or FAT32.
1. Is there more reliable ones like your saying?
2. Do I format to these or are these some type of OS?
3. Can I bitlocker ZFS?

>Video files are especially prone to degradation and bitrot since they are such a fuckhueg target.
Im really worried about that. do you think ZFS can stop "bitrot"?