I'm 31 years old, is to late to learn programing?

I'm 31 years old, is to late to learn programing?

Attached: PAY-Pacino-And-DeNiro-Film-Scenes-For-Scorseses-The-Irishman-172406.jpg (1200x630, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah but that never stopped any of the oldfags that came before you. Better late than never.

No. I have plenty of co-workers who didn't start progressing until their mid 30s

These. I'm 36 and started when I was 34. It's not fun but it's doable. The hard part is getting past HR once you actually know something. I'd recommend learning to make friends or suck cock.

No. I had co-students that only went into comp.sci at ~30.

If this is for fun, just do it. If you want a job out of it - maybe find a decent university to get a degree.

yes, it won't be long before india figures out how to educate competent programmers and the job market will be flooded with cheap labor

okay, I start with linux shit?

What friendly language do you recommend?

Attached: 1020137.jpg (960x960, 322K)

no
why would it be?

whats the average age range of programmers in the workplace these days? what worries me is the ageism + these terrible milenial s0yb0ys

Nothing it's too late if you believe in yourself

As a developer? Early 20's. Most burn out before their 30's and change their career paths. Ageism is real, though.

I'd reckon at this point you'd have an application for your knowledge in mind. Might give you an edge over the hypothetical 20 something you who didn't know what they would do with such a skill.

>burn out before 30
Must be a California thing. Here in Austin it's not that common. Average age in my office has generally been mid 30s.

yes

Too late to start a career, not too late to learn though.

>is to late
no

do you have a pulse? then you can learn.

wtf happened with Al Pacino?

>be in coma for a decade
>time to read K&R just for the lulz

yes

I'm 400 years old, is it too late to learn programming?

its never too late, just drink som Onions

Personally I'd start with racket on win/osx and run through something like HtDP, then do a lot of research on what niche you want to go into and work backwards from there on languages/tooling/skills you need to further develop.

Yes kill yourself instead. Tired of these posts

I'm burnt out @ 38, I'm semi-retiring at the end of the year, moving to a rural location (have signed the purchase contract on a property) and will grow my own veggies and just get part time work doing whatever is available.

Assembly

you mean onions?

Yes, it's too late to do anything at all with your life, don't even attempt to change.

thanks for the advice

What's harder to learn, programming or nipponese?

programming, learning a language is far simpler than developing all the skills you need to be a talented programmer

You're welcome.

Specifically MIPS

Pajeets can't even figure out how to use a toilet much less properly program

depends on if you want a hobby or a career. if you're white it was too late to learn the moment you were conceived.

The IQ spread, wealth disparity, and resource ownership in India is literally separated by castes. Once they copy the West/Japan and create a hamster wheel for the unranked, then be like China and straight up copy and translate Western online resources for teaching decent programming, they'll actually be competition and we need to be ahead of the curve for when that happens. It'll take a generation or two, but the way things are degenerating in our environment doesn't inspire hope for an advantageous position. That is, if by then shit hasn't hit the fan and WW3 hasn't thrust us into a nuclear winter, if the wealthy do-gooders like Bill Gates haven't succeeded in developing Africa by then, and if we haven't kicked our joined habits of mass immigration, Indian programmers entering the workforce without creating jobs for White men to fix the problem will be just one big concern. That said, OP, it isn't too late for you right now, but 31 will be too late in a generation's time. You were born before most cancers reached their terminal phases.

It depends, what background do you have ?.

Why do you wanna learn programming ?.

And what part of programming your are interested ?.

No, life doesn't work that way. Dedicate the time, apply yourself, and keep trying to get better. People stagnate, get distracted, quit entirely, die, etc. New things get created, old things get outdated. Things get shaken up. Life is too dynamic, too subjective, and too probabilistic to worry about stuff like "am I too old?" You're making excuses. If you start at 31 and work on it until 61, you think you're worse off in every situation to the guy that started at 21 and quit at 51? What if he burns out at 41? What if he dies at 31? We'll all be dead one day anyway. Just do it and see what happens.

the issue is hr giving preference to younger people

Getting past HR is just a test of fluid intelligence. Tech companies haven't changed HR departments for that sole reason. HR isn't an obstacle, it's another task to differentiate yourself. If you need to lie a little to get past, it shows that you have the acumen to calculate a risk and take it. When you get the interview after lying to HR, it never comes up again. On the very rare chance it does, you just tell them straight up that, "yeah, my resume was mindfully designed regarding HR mechanics, and it worked. I think a lot of talented coders get bottlenecked by HR because they don't take the risk even if they've calculated it, and I didn't want to be one of those people." If you don't give off a sketchy vibe, which you shouldn't if you know your shit, they'll just take it as you having the awareness of the modern employment system, actively creating a "we" environment with the tech interviewer (constructing in-group), and being honest when it matters and vague when you should be. In the age of corporate espionage, those soft skills matter a tonne and will set you apart from some autist that can't stop talking about the shit he's working on with your direct competitors.

nope, it's a bout money, you can sonsistently pay younger people less than older people without having them stolen away by a better offer. also it makes it hard to quit if quitting gets you deported, thus hiring pakis

If it's about money, OP should know his place and accept a salary that is competitive with the recent college grad.

If there are truly skilled programmers who are functionally unemployable strictly because some dipshit with the undergrad business equivalent of an English degree thinks those programmers are too old to hire, there is an exploitable inefficiency there. Such an inefficiency in fact that the practice of rejection strictly on age can't be 100% widespread. You'd set up a Logan's Run style market where someone would come along and snatch those programmers up for cheap. In OP's case I'm assuming he's willing to accept introductory pay? Potentially even slightly less? It's all a market.

It's never too late to do anything unless you're dead.

they won't even offer it to him because statistally older people demand better pay, also they're less future potential for him to contribute to the company than that of a younger person

see you're thinking that hr is populated by rational people not mentally ill idiots who will cut off their nose to spite their face

I looked up Logan's Run and it's an old movie. Can you give us a quick rundown?

its a sexy utopia except you can't get old, you get executed at like 35

The population of the upper caste in India is like the size of poland, it's not a big risk to have 40 million new white people.

That's a reason they'll consider, but employment is based on the interview. That's why there's an interview. If he takes a pay cut and says he's changing careers because tech became his passion, they'll hire him over some kid. The 30 year old interviewer himself would identify with OP over some college grad who based his interview plan off reading monetized dev blogs with "7 Interview Tips For Recent Grads" beside the "buy me a coffee? :)" link. The strategy just requires some emotional intelligence.

It won't only be the top caste. The two castes under them aren't functionally retarded either. India has been to outer space, their educated class isn't retarded. With White populations here not having any kids, and those mid-upper caste Indians having 4 kids a family, the programming industry is going to become as oversaturated as everything else. You're kidding yourself if you think it won't totally suck ass.

Lump of labor is a fallacy

For it to be a fallacy, the chain of events requires the new labourers to create economic growth large enough to create new jobs or demand. That isn't going to happen because the industry itself is growing smaller to a normal size from the huge size it swelled up to by techfags taking advantage of investors' lack of knowledge. It's like how mechanics used to be able to rip the common man off because he didn't know jackshit, but now every Tom, Dick, and Harry knows about cars and don't get fucked over.

Same here in HK

Banking devs tend to be any age, usually 30s

There's no cult of "muh young agile devs" in banks, they just want people who know their shit

I am trying to learn programming too, OP. And I am 32 years old.
And my advice - don't do it. Programming is not fun. Sitting for hours writing code is not fun.

People in their 30's tend to have families and want to spend time with them. If you only have people in their mid 20's who don't have children yet, you basically have cheap slaves. That's the real reason a lot of companies don't want "older" programmers.

>suck cock.
I don't know. I've never really tried it before.

>I'd recommend learning to make friends or suck cock.
>or suck cock
Are you being facetious or...

Attached: 1485069125891.png (225x225, 7K)

It's not but you won't get good at it.

Nipponese involves far more memorization though, moving at a steady pace you would need around 4-5 years minimum to acquire a decent enough vocabulary

t. speaks nipponese and is looking to start comp sci next year @ 23

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER

At last I truly see

it's too late, please proceed to middle age with a depressing pleb job

Bullshit.
I was in a CS class with this 32yo student who wanted to turn his hobby passion into a real thing. Dude was leagues better than anyone in that building.

Easier to learn than programming.

You can make money off it too.

You just might give up on the idea of being a code monkey once you try.

Attached: 25660069_10156961721683082_7239455691775283883_n.jpg (750x781, 61K)

No, started learning two years ago and now I'm on an internship, and as it looks, probably getting hired next month. Never coded anything before so started from scratch.

You can do it too bro!

Only post worth seeing, OP

> online sites teaching programming from scratch
> asking permission from strangers online in a basketweaving forum instead of doing it

Fuck off OP

You don't need to know how to use a toilet to program.

Are you also a loli vampire, by any chance?

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!

Learn C#.

>I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES (((FROM SCRATCH)))

>IF (I WANNA MAKE A 2D PC GAME)
Learn C# or C/C++
>IF (I WANNA MAKE A 3D PC GAME)
Learn C++

Unity.

Unity uses C#
Unreal and Godot use C++

But it's definitely not the same kind of programming experience as programming something from scratch

Well, I started studying computer science at your age (35 now). If you have no programming experience (like me, always been into system engineering) it's going to be not easy, but doable. It will just be like learning a new language. It takes a while to get fluent and effortlessly "speak" as well as understand. IMO, it's more about experience and doing it a lot. Just like a spoken language. When you don't do it a lot, you have to carefully deconstruct every sentence to get the meaning, whilst someone who does it a lot can understand it at the first glance. Totally doable, though.

The average age of programmers in my office (including contractors) is probably 45-50 minimum. Keep in mind this is for an IBM mainframe and we all code RPG, albeit "modernized". They hire/fire contractors regularly as needed, if you have a skillset your age is irrelevant.

>more popular in academia
u wot? In universities nobody knows or teaches any of those non C#/C++/Java languages.
>You may want to start with C
Kek, so you're a retard.

>wanting to make stuff for a mobile OS with a 20-something % market share
lolz
>Android Games
Java, Kotlin.

Don't bother, I've been trying since I was 14, I'm 19 now and I just gave up, I'm just too stupid and can't think in abstract sense (very important!) :(

Attached: 435415.jpg (1200x1532, 450K)

Let's be honest, if you aren't able to land a programming job at a big tech company, at MOST 2 months after graduation then the tech sector is not for you.

Go find another career. You'll never make it big. All you'll be doing for the rest of your life is fixing Chad's computer for the 3000th time, this time because his desktop is too small.

If you don’t enjoy it then it’s not for you, plain and simple. There are plenty of people that actually enjoy it.

I started studying CS at age 35, it is not too late. Had done a meme education degree when I was younger, after a decade of suffering in the social work field took the step...no regrets.

My observations:
Learning new things indeed gets notably harder as you get older but that doesn't matter half as much as one would think, because

>programming is rather about understanding general concepts than memorizing stuff
>when you are older you are a lot more organized, that makes learning more effective
>you have less distractions, personal issues as an old fuck compared to somebody younger
>you are more motivated because it is your last shot at moving forward

The Shape of Nigger Matrices

It is always to late

I agree with this

Attached: 1520729785552.jpg (514x719, 121K)

I'll be 27 when I get my degree, but I have a very young looking face and I don't actually need to put my age on my CV. I could plausibly claim to be 23 and they would only find out when HR needs to check my ID.

>It is always to late
This should motivate you btw

Honestly I think ageism is totally a thing.

It seems rare to see a (non-enterprise) programmer past 45.
I think this is also partly due to the fact that most older people now did not grow up around technology and computers as much, nor did they have such easy access to resources to learn programming like we do know.

Most that I've seen and known in my experience are all between 21 and 35, with most being in their late 20s or early 30s.

HOWEVER.... I think this is something that is going to rapidly change.

As our millenial age group ages + never-ending increase in tech and programming demand, we'll obviously continue to have a lot more programmers and programming jobs in the future.

I don't think that anyone who is starting as a programmer in their 20s right now is going to have an issue with getting too old for the field by the time their in their 40s.

Attached: 1512698936308.jpg (242x208, 23K)

Yes.
/thread

Depends, do you want to do it as a career? If so, then sort of but not really. You'll probably be more focused and determined to do it than the kids in school nowadays.

If it's just a hobby, then no.

i thought younger people got paid more than older ones in tech so how are they cheap slaves

Thank you based Falcon.

>non-enterprise
Yeah great meme. 95% of software jobs are enterprise or tangent to it. The average age is over 30 pretty much everywhere but SV and even there I bet it's damn close. I've worked in the industry for almost 25 years and I've never seen a company bin someone or not hire due to age. There are plenty of old fags who don't get jobs because they aren't up to par on new technologies, but nobody bats and eye about age under 50 since the average time under one company is five years or less.

Usually developers over 5 years experience move to mananger position, but meme real programmer means guys avoid promoting to mananger, begin too social retarders or company had advance career programmer.

can't think of it not being fun
must be hell if it's 'notfun'
this guy is probably using visio or something else (notfun). 'eclipse' (notfun)

>maybe find a decent university to get a degree
This. OP, if you can stomach going back to school to get a CS degree, it will be sooooo much easier to land a programming job. Also, age is not a barrier.

If you think that it's too late then it probably is.

How much of this decision was influenced by Stardew Valley?

logo

Too old to be a world-class whiz kid who invents the next bitcoin or facebook, but not too old to be automating your routine office tasks.