Considering all smarphones out there are almost the same look wise, is this the next viable step for smarphones design?

Considering all smarphones out there are almost the same look wise, is this the next viable step for smarphones design?

Attached: westworld_108420.jpg (1280x1616, 349K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qvrSUwqt6Mw
youtube.com/watch?v=XFn2y-AbHVM
phys.org/news/2016-09-panasonic-bendable-twistable-flexible-lithium-ion.html
digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-foldable-smartphone-news/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Would be awesome. Can't fit in a pant pocket though.

>a giant brick with folding screens that make no sense

No thanks

I'd love it if it were a bit smaller.

well in the show its that way because they use it mainly as a tablet but Im sure it could be made with a smaller size.

youtube.com/watch?v=qvrSUwqt6Mw

dude, it literally is just a square screen with a fancy gimmick for a specific show.

It's awful.

half the battery life for barely any benefits

So what does Jow Forums think is gonna be the next step for smart phones?

Physical Keyboards?
Fold-able screens?
Attachments that can be put on/off?
Wearable type of phone?
Something else entirely?

a built-in printer that can print little emoji stickers

Attached: tvrv3uivw.jpg (1492x999, 337K)

Attached: 1504514994199.jpg (936x527, 54K)

>thick
>big gap between the screens
>battery drain
>no support from third party apps

Attachments were already a thing and faled miserably. LG abandoned it after the G5, Moto Mods are expensive and a niche and Project Ara was cancelled.
Touch based keyboards are here to stay, with things like swype and improved predictions over the years it's almost as fast as a physical one
Foldable screens aren't ready yet because the display technologies aren't quite ready yet and our current tech only allows things like Wearables suffer from battery issues and outdated SoCs, the best Smartwatch SoC was made two years ago with 28nm manufacturing. It currently only allows fitness trackers with inferior screens

huge bezels

It would be quite easy to support third party apps.
The multiapp framework works fine and can be customized to support another screen.

Everything else you said stays true though

Wow, it's almost like it's a physical device with engineering constraints, and not some magical CG proper piece of shit!

The "notch" will go away, sensors, speakers, cameras, etc will all live behind the screen via some kind of voodoo.

>Printed media
So last century.
>dot led screen on the back of the phone
>used mainly to display charging, but with a swipe or two can show instead the poop emojis
>in China it displays a colored letter indicating the users' Social Credit/Employment&Rank
There we go

We already have many smaller second screen attempts like the extra strip on the LG V10/20 or the YotaPhone, both stayed in a niche

Embedded computing.

>We already have many smaller second screen attempts
And they all look retarded as fuck

Instead of making a larger screen they just made a second one, it's worse than a notch

Attached: v10-hands-on.jpg (780x443, 58K)

AR and holographic displays.
We could see the following:
- Scouter types or glasses types with screen projections
- Contact lenses with screen projections

With the advent of AR, the next logical step is to enhance human perception through additional information filters and visualizations.
The current AR system (those VR headsets for instance) are extremely cumbersome and impractical.
Imagine not being burdened with having a small screen or device but rather have that device as an extension of your perception and intelligence.

You're welcome.

t. man of the future.

Foldable screens it is

youtube.com/watch?v=XFn2y-AbHVM

who thought this was a good idea

how would that fit in my pocket?

>Fold-able screens?
Probably this. But the tech is apparently a while off since many screen manufacturers have been researching it for years and only had prototypes.
It's not hard to see why it's not here yet. You fold a wallet a bunch and it gets a wrinkle in the middle.
I've seen newer ones where they don't fold flat, and it makes a C shape there, but apparently that's not enough to fix the problem either.

>Physical Keyboards?
Are you actually retarded? Swipe typing is like 5x faster. Why would you waste space on the phone just to type slower?

mems based display that moves and lets the sensors behind the display sense allowing you to havea a 100% screen phone

why do we have to keep adding shit and release and buy a new model every fucking year
why can't we just go "you know the smartphone I have does everything I need, I don't need a new one" and keep it for 10 years until it breaks
why do we have to keep generating all this consumerist tech waste

Here's hoping for roll-up screens.

Attached: efcglobal2.jpg (1024x576, 75K)

Can't wait to find out how big of a disaster it is and how easy it breaks when you don't have it being handled by actors told to do only certain things

>youtube.com/watch?v=XFn2y-AbHVM
I don't know, we've seen tech demo since 2013 but nothing has reached market yet. Can't say if it's appearing next year or another decade from now.

After all no matter how flexible the screen is, the battery and camera aren't.

Actually regarding that, the technology is in development, but nothing on the scale of powering a smart phone.
phys.org/news/2016-09-panasonic-bendable-twistable-flexible-lithium-ion.html

Bc peopme are conditioned to buy new shit as soon as they get bored of the current one. And companies spend shitton of money to brainwash you into believing you need their latest shit

Phone small enough to fit in pocket that folds out to a 10" tablet when needed.

Non-shit battery life.

Full OS.

they're just gonna keep getting bigger

How about the gemini PDA?
It looks neato.
tho, it has just started and it costs $400 wifi-only, and +$500 if you want it with 4G

Attached: img_20171208_1530158.jpg (2000x1125, 220K)

Graphene batteries will be able to bend and supposedly can store a shit load of charge.

That thing is a dream come true but being a poor fag I can't justify the price.

Surface Phone when?

it just started shipping, and there are still some problems, but from what I've seen so far, it's worth the price desu
Also, I'd say to give it half to a year, they might come up with a discount or something for Christmas.

Attached: cap_the.expanse.s01e04.720p.bluray.x264-demand_00_29_42_01.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Attached: cap_the.expanse.s01e04.720p.bluray.x264-demand_00_06_03_01.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

one year away at most
will still disappoint most people because it won't be either a good phone or a good PC replacement

>place on pants back pockets
>sits
>breaks, slices cheeks in half
yeah no

>putting anything in the back pockets

>place on front pockets
>sits
>breaks, cuts leg, and dick if it's in the way
your choice

I was rooting for ol' Hannibal Lecter

stop being a fatass then

It's probably plastic

It's too small.

Attached: 1865676e830af2ffc0670f1f91abd49b--funny-shit-funny-pics.jpg (640x860, 47K)

Really? Swipe typing derps so hard on even slightly obscure things it doesn't recognize. There isn't good tactile feedback. There is no good way to undo a part of your flow. It can get confused if letters get passed over that are important. Uncommon phrases also give it trouble as it is largely dependent on predictive typing. I would greatly prefer a keyboard and a kickstand for my phone. Could use that instead of my laptop for most of my classes. Still needs to be portable and hassle free. AKA fits in pocket, no more than 10 seconds TOPS to switch it from phone -> moniter/phys. keyboard. Finally it can't be flimsy. People drop test this shit for a reason.

I honestly just want this fucking hell

minimalism. razor phones 2020, calling it.

Microsoft will never make a good phone with good software
No matter how many redesigns they make, no matter how many companies they buy, no matter how many they convince

That would actually be kinda neat

I would love something like doogee mix 4 but with a physical keyboard if you slide down

Attached: Doogee-Mix-4-b.jpg (900x1200, 120K)

>2022
>jony ive
>"this is iPhone DS"
>the new revolutionary Dual Screen iPhone

Holo-screen when?
Solution for a compact gadget and MUH SCREEN.

Attached: CMhx5ZzU8AEf30r.jpg (599x337, 33K)

Not it feels great not to be this poor. No one is forcing you to upgrade your obsolete tech, Cletus.

You dobt hace to be well off to afford the new model each year, if thats your thing. But you probably wouldnt buy a new car each time your favorite model has a new revision either. Because whats the fucking point, your current one is almost the same. Noone gives a shit which one do you actually have, except you. Only marketing makes you believe otherwise

I would if I could afford it

I think its only because its not affordable for you and the status which you think comes with it. Do you buy a new bycicle each year or the new fashionable furniture etc? As long as your current one functions well, probably you will keep it for a while. But whatever, imo its a lot of effort/money/time wasted pushing thid smartphone shit forward, all this energy should be spent on something better, but as long as the profit is here, they wont move on. So partly we as cobsumers are at fault here, as long as the majority buys a new gadget every two year, the cycle will continue

No, it's about not being too poor to afford having non-obsolete tech. The cutting edge is moving forward every year, and most people without autism prefer to stay with it.

Ignore it. It lacks the brain capacity to move all ten of its digits simultaneously. So, for the poor creature, swipe-typing is indeed faster.

those things in geostorm were pretty cool

hmm. it's as if no modern phones use glass

I want a foldable keyboard which doubles as a screen cover and auxiliary battery.
Hell, you could make something that folds out in both ends, a numpad+microphone in one end, and a speaker in the other, extending the phone's length to fit real men and not asian schoolgirls.

You really are blinded by all this shit arent you. If you go back a few years, everything you really need in a device is already there (fast web browsing, navigation etc.). Yes, on top of that now you can have animated emojis based on your facial expression,and play pubg or whatever fotm shit on your device, but I think the ones that care about these things are the autistic ones.

stupid as fuck

How about a battery that can be charged once a week?

Attached: last.png (362x263, 66K)

Attached: 23409839051308.jpg (187x164, 11K)

How about a super tiny nuclear reactor that lasts for the entire lifetime of the phone but cannot be charged?

Wtf is with this retarded transparent screen meme in virtually all scifi for the past 15 years?
It's retarded as fuck.
Why would anyone want a semi-transparent screen fucking with whatever it is you want to actually view on the screen?
It's not a 3d hologram it's just distracting as fuck.
What benefit am I not seeing to this shit?

Attached: crazypills.gif (532x229, 1.49M)

It would probably be better for AR desu.

swiping when using one hand, typing when using both

Something like this but with a retractable screen

Attached: 3310.jpg (800x600, 51K)

Having a physical screen is antiquated and retarded. There is never enough room and of you make them larger then it is a nuisance to carry, plus they break, get scratched, etc.
The next step is Google Glass and holo lens, but having a screen at a few inches from your face is the inferior technique. The eye is not designed to look that close.

The future is retinal projection.

this user gets it
either that or small devices to make an arbitrarily large or small hologram(s)

We must go back.

Probably smart wearables. Phones which can be wrapped around your wrist. They will enter the market once tech giants have mastered the production of flexible displays.

>The eye is not designed to look that close.

They obviously have a lens to let you focus closer.

>curved display with huge bezels
Disgusting.

Like this

Attached: dennou_coil_phone.png (400x176, 21K)

Never got why people like this at all. Imagine being at the gym and putting your favorite anime music for dat energy pump and all the stacys getting a glance of your screen while laughing from far away.

You'll have to carry a water tank on your person and then you can have a hologram watch with water mist.

Attached: 1499852929616.png (1280x720, 683K)

westworld fucking rocks dude

>Caring about stacy's laughing at your anime
Clearly if they do this they are moronic children and I shouldn't give a single fuck about them. Glass is dumb for an entirely different reason. And it can be summed up with this one question: "Why?" Is there literally ANY benefit to having a clear piece of glass as a device? No. I think if you really want displays like this they will be simulated via AR and you will most likely just rice the display.

>Wow, it's almost like it's a physical device with engineering constraints, and not some magical CG proper piece of shit!
Then there's OLED:
digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-foldable-smartphone-news/

Flip phones might be making a comeback with foldable screens.

All I want is a battery that can last at least 15h SoT

>transparent screens so you can't read black text if the background behind the screen is dark
>you can't read white text if a white/light wall or floor is behind it
The absolute height of retardation

Attached: 1522982128039.jpg (481x554, 44K)

Exactly.
3D holograms can have a use, as they're just made to display certain content that displays well on them (like schematics).
But if you want to read names, documentation, etc? It'll be fucking unreadable having a transparent background.
You'll have to only have white text with a black outline for everything, which will make for much more space used for each letter, and less on the screen, and it'll STILL be less readable than if you fucking had dark text on a paper-white background.

>swipe WPM records
>298-360 WPM
>touch type world records
>170-212 WPM
Of how dumb of me. 212 is definitely more than 360.

I type 180WPM on a keyboard. Swipe is faster. WHO COULD FUCKING GUESS THAT PRESSING ONCE PER WORD IS FASTER THAN ~5 TIMES HUH.

Attached: smuglolihackress.png (1440x900, 1.62M)

video proof, fucko

Supercapacitor or nuclear diamond batteries.
I seriously hope the latter, because you won't have to charge them for a few thousand years. Problem is, it's pretty low-voltage.

Do those numbers take into account accuracy, misfires, uncommon phrasing etc...? You know, everything that was pointed out? Especially if your job includes jargon and acronyms then swipe typing sucks ass. If you just do normie shit though then of course the AI can auto complete and guess the vapid brain-dead content most people repeatedly regurgitate.

i want swipe for my irl keyboard

Get a digitizer film and cover your keyboard with it. Then just write your own drivers. Problem solved.

>do those numbers take into account accuracy, misfires, uncommon phrasing etc...
Yes, it includes clicking the spelling suggestions and fixing typos. Just like how typing on a keyboard must be accurate for records without typos. You have to write exactly what's given.

At least for phone screens, it seems worse on fatiguing your fingers due to the friction of dragging your fingers. But maybe with better materials like a tablet surface, it'd be good. I'd rather have that over a shitty laptop keyboard, actually.