>hurr just use windows
>hurr install [obscure shit that has more devs than users]

Attached: images.png (473x106, 4K)

What do you use your laptop for?

web browsing
media consumption
development
light to medium gaming

I don't like their implementation of GNOME. I'd prefer Fedora/Solus if you must have GNOME, or Kubuntu / Ubuntu Mate if DE doesn't matter to you.

I don't think Ubuntu is a botnet. The Amazon thing was shitty but nothing like the crap microsoft pulls daily.

Using a Libre Distro is only practical if you bought your hardware with that in mind. Ubuntu is pretty good about respecting freedom and contributing to open source. Some people get mad about mp3 codecs but whatever.

You shouldn't use windows unless you actually like it. There is no need for windows in 2018 except for pretty specialized use cases or dedicated gaming.

18.04 hype train leaving the station

most implementations of gnome are shit. it's easier to just start with plain ol' gnome-shell and customize it into what you want, instead of taking someone else's work and trying to gut it without breaking things

Thats pretty much what I like about Fedora. Very few extensions, everything as stock as possible.

>Kubuntu / Ubuntu Mate
flavors of ubuntu are still ubuntu
should have mention this in the OP
>You shouldn't use windows unless you actually like it
i actually dont like(or should i use hate?) windows
it takes fucking 10 minutes after boot to be usable,while linux takes 1 minute at most
and sometimes using the file manager can crash the whole desktop

my only issue with buntu is the static release model, which means if you use it long term, you'll have to reinstall every few years. if you want easy to install rolling release check out opensuse tumbleweed.

Opensuse isn't as idiot proof, and btrfs is a weird choice for a default. They have a slick Plasma implementation though

It's good if you're a baby and want your first Linux to be easy to use.

I think you should use whatever the fuck you want. KDE Neon is another to consider. Stable Ubuntu base with a rolling KDE Plasma/Software Compilation. Very lightweight even compared to Kubuntu, and 100% ubuntu compatible.

also anything you want that's not in the repos can usually be added by simply adding a ppa to your sources file. and nearly every ppa has explicit instructions on how to do this

linux is not optimized for mobile platforms, your battery life will suffer, and not all of your hardware may function properly due to proprietary mobile platforms

stick with windows

this isn't five years ago gramps

Lol
Tlp makes a big difference. I get about 20% more battery life on linux than I did on Windows. On my previous laptop they were about the same, but that was years ago.

>linux is not optimized for mobile platforms, your battery life will suffer
tried ubuntu for a very short period before on a similar laptop,and it have battery life similar to windows
>not all of your hardware may function properly due to proprietary mobile platforms
after some research and tried out a live session on the laptop,i am pretty sure that all hardware will function properly

That's why I would expect Linux to have gotten usable, but well

I bet I know the problem, you're trying debian aint ya?

win10's only real improvements compared to prior releases is battery life
but then again most win10 users also install chrome so any battery life improvements goes right down the drain

Lubuntu is always an option.

Chrome throttles processes in Chrome for Windows to save battery life. Firefox still has major issues with that.

In my experience, wifi, fingerprint scanners, and gyroscopes (on convertibles) tend to be trouble spots. If those work in the livecd, you can assume things will be perfect ootb. If not, you can usually get them working but it can be a hassle.

I never used chrome. Anyone who has ever been on a shaky wifi network knows it simply isn't reliable.

not if it's a debian live, that shit is bait and switch that uses nonfree for the live but not the install by default

Wow fuck that.

yeah found out the hard way, wifi worked on the live so I thought I was good to go, install it and no wifi, and it wasn't worth it to me to dig out an ethernet cord, go sit by the router and enable nonfree repos and download drivers

That's a lie, ubuntu probably has the easiest and most stable upgrade path of any distro I've worked with. I had one system upgrading from 7.10 to 14.04 and I only reinstalled it to switch to 64-bit.

>hype train

it's really easy to remove everything Canonical has done to GNOME and switch to a vanilla session you can modify however you want