Name one decent reason to have a desktop instead of a laptop other than gayming (Protip: you can't)

Name one decent reason to have a desktop instead of a laptop other than gayming (Protip: you can't).

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Internet browsing

it's called "work"
you've probably never heard of it

Throttling and unable to upgrade the GPU in your laptop without extensive issues

SPBP

- 3D Modelling of RNA structures
- Phylogenetic analysis, Multiple Sequence Alignment

Personal computers were a mistake.

I'm pretty sure laptops can handle word and excel, user

These can both be done by high end laptops, especially now with external gpus

A proper Keyboard Screen and the ability to stuck it up.

If I'm ready for the hassle that is DongleLife, I may as well buy a desktop, where the parts are inside a single enclosure and upgradability and modularity is higher, plus cooling is better. It's a no brainer.

Given that it's only going to sit on my table, it offers more performance for less price.

Allowed me to buy the pieces and build it on my own.

You know you can use external keyboard / screens with laptops too, right?

Video encoding.

Professional uses like 3D rendering, video editing, etc.
A good workstation can have a server-class CPU with fuckload of RAM and four graphics cards, all the while being relatively silent thanks to water cooling. Laptops just can't compete in this niche.

I produce less garbage, since broken components can be replaced. Can't really do that with a laptop these days.

>using word and excel 8h a day on a 15" screen with a shitty, flat laptop keyboard
do people really do this?

13" screen vs 28" 4k display with 24" second monitor for programming
Yea totally pic the tiny fuckin screen and cram 2 ides, twitch stream and documentation on 13" laptop

>any CPU or GPU heavy workload
>not having fans blast at full volume at load
>price
>upgradeability
>cooling solutions don't degrade after two years
>attached to garbage screen and keyboard

laptop CPUs are objectively garbage. External gpus are very limited and pricy.
>hating PC's but settling for a million of messy dongles and attachments

>he needs to use word and excel the whole day in his job
>he isn't a programmer

Attached: sides1.jpg (200x200, 10K)

>not programming in excel
pleb

Is there any need to use anything beyond a Core 2 Duo and Intel integrated graphics?

why not both? what are you? poor?

i dont want to go to starbucks to work and tell people im a code artisan.
and a monitor has nicer viewing angles aswell as the btter keyboard for desktop pcs

Nerd

Maintenance.
Laptops are a pile of soldered unfixable shit that can't last two years without fucking themselves.

A laptop can't handle the industrial level software we use at work but you are probably a manchild who wouldn't understand what work is

Better performance for half the price you closet homo OP.

Also "GAYMING" really stupid? Most people "GAYME" to pass time while doing other activities. Such as watching a podcast or an hour long video on racial IQ differences.

Attached: T51 armor .jpg (1920x1080, 1.52M)

reliability, serviceability, availability

compiling, rendering, high ram setups and multiple virtual machines especially when considering passing through hw raid and other pci cards
>b-but if you lower your expectations you might be able to do some of that on a laptop that costs 3x more than your workstation

With some of the new notebooks and thunderbolt docks with GPUs i'm starting to see a case for ditching a desktop and just having an ultrabook as my primary system.

I think my ideal notebook would be an XPS 13 with MX150 graphics.

>I need things to distract me from gaming

Are you braindead or something?

It's university work, you neet. It's the shit you do as a bioinformatician.

are you retarded? that's what docks are for. i'm starting to think that you're the one without a job.

did you study cs or biochemistry because i'm being offered genetic algorithms as a cs student and i have no idea what that might even be but it sure as hell sounds cool.

>attach dock
>attach external monitors
>attach keyboard and mouse
>attach external GPU
>still garbage performance
>"why people still use desktops?"

yeah, if you use netbook or some shit. even my shitty i5 can do virtualization without problems. unless you're a gaymur there's no need for dedicated tower. even if you're a researcher you have servers with n gpus to what you need. hell, even gamers can use nvidia now to have decent fps in tons of games.

i get the sentiment but there are laptops that are a bit more bulky and thus easier to upgrade. not everything is an ultrabook

>they don't know about /tpg/
fucking
kek
>Video encoding.
>3D rendering
the only use for a decent GPU besides gaymen (and, well, mememining)
Besides, if you're doing it professionally, you're doing it on a cluster, not on your personal machine
eGPUs are a thing anyway
>laptops can't be silent
kek

>build desktop
>spend a month fixing problems with bad components
>ends up being noisier than laptop
>back of case ends up being a spaghetti junction of wires leading to peripherals and display, and speakers
>decide to upgrade
>chose the wrong chipset, so upgrade options are shit besides the typical gpu and memory upgrade
>motherboard dies
>end up replacing the whole thing
>memory isn't compatible with the new board
>buy new memory
>boot up
>windows now thinks its a pirate copy
>tfw you fell for the desktop meme

Attached: 1305559397448.jpg (498x321, 39K)

>bad components
>spaghetti junction of wires
>ends up being noisier than laptop
>chose the wrong chipset
being this braindead
please follow the instructions in your pic and never reproduce

>the only use for a decent GPU besides gaymen (and, well, mememining)
Or anything that benefits from high performance parallel processing. Processing hashes for example. GPUs are great for brute forcing.

I know

Attached: 20180422_135209(1).jpg (4032x3024, 2.44M)

Not him, but genetic algorithms have nothing to do with biology. They're just a way of looking for solutions to a problem by trial and error, in a way similar to how evolution selected the fittest individuals for the problem of survival.
Look into boxcar2d for a fun game with GAs

You can't use multiple monitors with a laptop.

Upgrades

Even if you aren't going to gaym on it or do anything CPU/GPU intensive, a desktop is simply easier to maintain, cheaper and more comfortable than a laptop when you're using it at home. I still use the desktop I built in 2012, which has outlived my old laptop I bought in 2014.
It's not a beast by any means, but I have always been able to repair it and replace parts when they failed. Doing so on a laptop is significantly more cumbersome, if possible at all. I don't think I have spent over 800€ on my desktop, peripherials included, in over six years. Even less if you exclude them.
I do have a laptop I use when I'm outside of course, a nice X200 I got for 120€ a couple years ago.
Both machines have served me fine for a while and I don't need more. That said, I see no reason to restrict yourself to using desktops or laptops only unless you're really piss poor.

you can with a dock.

You can use as many external monitors as your autism please, please educate yourself a little on docks before spewing literal bullshits.
My thinkpad has pretty much outlived any desktop. Cheaper and upgradable (CPU included) as well, at least until recent models.

1. Because I'm decided like this

>set up your sims on your laptop
>when it comes time to analyse, run it on the big iron

Or can't your workplace afford a HPC cluster?

Also,
>implying alignment is that computationally complex

basedboy onions

Components on laptops are often soldered together, making it hard to replace parts. It's also difficult to find parts for it as the component manufacturers don't intend to sell laptop parts, save for a few. Laptops trade power for portability; if you need power to do other things (like rendering and such), your average laptop may not be powerful enough. Word and Excel are not the only work-related software, you know. If they make laptops as modular as desktops, as far as parts being more accessible and all parts can be replaced to make the laptop as powerful as possible, then maybe laptops will be viable enough to completely make desktops obsolete. Until then, desktops are here to stay.

Attached: fedora-anonymous.png (655x745, 569K)

Laptops are annoying to use for absolutely anything compared to a good, comfy desktop setup.
They're a compromise for people who need to be on the move. If you have a laptop and use it exclusively or almost exclusively at home, you're a fucking brainlet.

Attached: 1512323687858.jpg (1024x595, 74K)

You can. Modern laptops not only have your traditional monitor port, but they also have HDMI now. Sometimes, multiple HDMI ports. Some monitors are even wireless. TVs of today have high resolution now that they can function as monitors, and some are wireless. And as mentioned by others, docks; basically, connect all wired peripherals and monitors to the dock, then connect the dock to the laptop. Plenty of options to expand display.

Stop being a sissy and learn how to do component-level motherboard repair.

ah, i see. gonna check that out, yeah.

A thinkpad may be better than your typical glue and glass offering from apple in repairability, but still not a match for the block of iron and screws created by IBM to be the chosen form for a computer.

If you're using it primarily in one location anyway, you may as well get a system that is modular and repairable to some extent.

There is no reason not to get a desktop if you don't need portability. Desktops are cheaper for the performance and enable you to save even more money over time since you can reuse your old case or PSU when upgrading.
Desktops also have better I/O, which is fairly important, since you will be using your computer connected to an external mouse, keyboard and screen while at home, regardless of whether it is a laptop or desktop (unless you're a braindead normie).

>ADHD

>filling up an entire monitor with irrelevant unnecessary crap before you even get to your work monitor kek

>laptop CPUs are objectively garbage

[citation needed]

>bioinformatician

kek

I'm surprised they've even given you a job title given that all you do is the crapwork that the real researchers can't be bothered doing

I just leave a laptop everywhere I want one

>work
>home
>gf's house
>parents house

What, do you buy a desktop cause they're cheaper?

>industrial level software

>feeling the need to try and impress anonymous internet strangers

>talkingshitility

It's not 1992 any more. None of those things have been an issue for many years.

>chosen by IBM

what you're referring to is a dumb terminal, which is also what you are

There is literally no reason, not even gaymen. With egpu setups, you can have the mobility of a laptop, but when you need gpu power for work or play @ home or in an office, you plug in the egpu connected to an external display, a keyboard and mouse, and bam... Laptop becomes desktop. All for less than the cost of owning both separately. Anyone not moving with the times will be left in the dust. It's only a matter of time before desktops are completely deprecated.

Hardware testing/prototyping

Attached: IMG_3819.jpg (1280x853, 283K)

Are you serious?

>Difficult to work on.
>shitty compact keyboards
>shit performance
>shitty small screens

i dispise working on laptops.

Huge widescreen monitors or even two monitors at once are much better for work. By work I mean browsing the huge projects and codes you retarded word user.

better value for money

and then your CPU gets throttled because of poor thermals on your laptop

what's a laptop? is that a new iphone model?

See

Compiling source code.

>staring at an IDE is different from staring at Excel
You retarded nigger. Programming on a small screen with laptop nigger keyboard is shit tier.

You’re right, toasting your balls with a laptop is much more progressive. Here let’s get some onions. My treat

Last time I used a desktop was more than ten years ago, when I was a poor student who couldn't afford a decent laptop
Then I met a ThinkPad and I've never needed anything more
And I probably won't need anything more in the foreseeable future

tyrone can't put a desktop in his backpack

>2018
>not moving to a colder climate

>working as a programmer

>waa
>people like games

>better keyboard
>better screen
>multiple screen if needed
>easily upgradable
>good posture because your screen is in the right position
>can use a stand desk easily given your keyboard is large and you can change your screen position easily too
>cost less for the same performance
>look pretty good if you're not a retard
>can't be used in bed so your back won't be broken
>can connect shitload of devices at the same time
>can buy 5.25' cd/dvd/bluray/whatever reader for dirt cheap
>good airflow so your pc is never hot
>good psu
>good component in general

Obviously I'm not talking about prebuild garbage.
Mobility is the only good point of laptop this is why I have a crappy thinkpad for when I have to do presentations.

>shilling this hard

Productivity.

Sadly, well actually ironically considering this thread, the only remotely decent laptops that come even close to mid-range desktop performance as gaming laptops.

>>he isn't a programmer
>he isn't a EE with a CS degree also who does not have to work for financial reasons
I pity poor subhumans. You deserve a life but you never will have one.

>Using a laptop as a desktop replacement without a dock with cooling built in.

The only time temps throttling your CPU should happen is when you're using it as an actual laptop away from home/office where you'd most likely not be doing anything of consequence in the first place. Shitposting on 4chins RPing a businessman does not count as something of consequence.

How dare grown ass motherfuckers with disposable income enjoy leisure activities different from ones I prefer?

Attached: stop_liking_what_i_dont_like.jpg (400x350, 43K)

replaceable components
>mom buys macbook
>it's out of warranty after 3 years
>5 years in the AMD gpu soldered onto the mobo dies
>bricks the entire laptop
>can't replace anything
>can't disable the gpu in bios
>everything's just screwed

was just about to say this. Anything that requires real cycle time is done by sshing into a supercomputer or cluster and submitting your jobs there. To be fair, I do tend to run smaller jobs on the work laptop (specced out macbook) and sometimes will leave it on overnight to complete.

>plug this
>plug that
>plug this too
Jesus. Can't you see how hard you're making it on yourself by using a laptop as something it's clearly not suited for?
Just use a fucking desktop, which has proper cooling and peripherals already, and use a laptop as a laptop.

>He's a code monkey that will likely be replaced with poo in loos because Pajeet and Rajesh combined would cost less than half a white man's salary
Enjoy your job while it lasts. Soon they will be laying off all non-shitskins because they can hire enough of them to equal one good programmer and still come out ahead financially. The poo in loos have already won, user.

Desktop>abism>laptop

Attached: win mac loonix.jpg (2100x1500, 382K)

Desktops can provide you with more power to work with compared to a laptop.

I can't get 16 cores and 128gb ram in a laptop

There is work besides Excel.