/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1524327094315s.jpg (207x250, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/DIEWU-NEW-PCI-E-PCI-Express-3-0-X4-to-NVME-M-2-M-KEY-GFF/32837866765.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Holy shit losing my mind over this:
>need to insert 3 lines of cyrillic text in XeLaTeX
What to do?
>setting the whole document to cyrillic fucks every font, rendering, title etc
>\foreinlanguage{russian}{some text} makes babel complain about russian being undefined
>\usepackage[english,russian]{babel} complains about russian pack not being found

how the fuck can i increase mouse scroll speed on linux mint??

How come I can't "shutdown now" on void linux without closing Xorg?

Why do analog to digital converters need external power? Why can't they be self powered?

Attached: 51IZjbi%2BoDL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 11K)

I found a Lenovo S8 for 40€, the seller says when the tablet boots he sees an error boot failed -efi hard drive , should I buy it? probably i can ask less

because usb3 is expensive and not all hdmi ports provide the required power

hey Jow Forums

new with Git. I cloned a repository, and now i'm trying to push to it via command line, but it always tells me Everything up-to-date

when i run git branch -a, my output is

* master
remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
remotes/origin/master

Is there a way to just force it? I could use the upload files button on the web page but I feel i should probably figure this out

composite does not provide power, the ADC needs power to do the conversion

by scrolling faster you brainlet

I want to buy m2 ssd but my motherboard does not have m2 slot.

aliexpress.com/item/DIEWU-NEW-PCI-E-PCI-Express-3-0-X4-to-NVME-M-2-M-KEY-GFF/32837866765.html

Will this adapder make it work as good as native m2 slot?
Something i need to know about m2 ssd's?

Can't find my "fakes" of Michelle with "her" cock out. Believe me I'd post em if I could find them.

Anyone wanna drop some ITT?

How do I know which HDD is connected to which SATA in windows 7?

I have 3 exact same HDDs connected to 3 SATAs and I need to remove one for tests, but I don't want to deal with the 2/3 chance of removing the wrong one.

Attached: 1491539621859.jpg (238x192, 9K)

Can someone help me out with setting up HTTPS Web UI on DD WRT? I got a new router and set it all up the way my previous router worked and I get

>Secure Connection Failed
>The connection to 192.168.1.1 was interrupted while the page was loading.
>The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
>Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

when I'm trying to access it through HTTPS. (Yeah I know, who cares, but I want to access it from outside my home too.)

I read that it only supports SSLv3 that isn't supported by modern browser anymore because of security reason. Which I guess is true because I cannot access it from any browser, not even Cuckold Explorer. Is there a way to change these settings? BTW my previous router worked with HTTPS on DD WRT just fine, so I don't understand why this is even happening. Is encryption limited by the hardware?

Attached: 1500025255715.png (178x80, 6K)

serial number

there are labels on motherboard near sata connectors like sata_0, sata_1 etc.
check in bios what sata slot hdd that you need to remove is using

>hurr laxtex buttur dun wurr
dumb open sores babbies

great post

Hello Jow Forums, I need help from someone that knows a bit of bash (I'm a bit illiterate).
Here's my script, do you guys know what's wrong?
It looks big but it's an extremely simple script.
Thanks in advance

Attached: bashScript.png (1658x925, 136K)

we aim to please

is there an software with the objective of keeping 1 folder up to date on an usb/external hard drive? trying to replace dropbox and need a way to automaticly keep the database updated

you are using bash syntax in a shell script.
add #!/usr/bin/env bash on line 1 to identify it as bash script or run it with bash directly bash ./bin/bashScript.sh

Try double [ by your if statementd like if [[ $x == 4 ]]
Bash also as -eq for comparison like if [ $x -eq 5 ]

how do i stop browsing and start being productive

how do i get discord to run on lubuntu x32??? ;-; please help me

Thanks! I thought that shell scripts and bash scripts where the same thing...

Board tourist and tech pleb here,
Russia is starting to censor the fuck out of the internet. A few google IPs have been blocked today, some of the people I know can't use google.
I don't fucking like it. Is there a good guide on internet anonymity and such? I do have a VPN Chrome extension and Tor installed, but I feel that's not enough. What should I do/where do I look for info?

Attached: bY39aNdA3rU.jpg (636x640, 41K)

Anyone know how can I disable OpenCL for one program on NVIDIA proprietary driver?

Why do people want file storage servers when they can just buy/rent an SSL server and be done with it?

Attached: 1503529097846.jpg (467x349, 118K)

not quite, bash is a shell, one of many
bash is the defacto shell on linux, but it's not "the unix/posix shell", or "sh"
either way, you should always specify an interpreter in scripts, be it a shell script or otherwise

Jow Forumsuys, russia here, i need help asap.

our fucking piece of shit commie guv is blocking everything. EVERY FUCKING THING. they blocked the fucking google yesterday, i need some obscure vpn service so that i don't get locked out of internet while these faggots are on a banning spree.

also please just bomb this piece of shit country already.

Attached: adiane183be57982e99166e5263c7c352a7347.jpg (520x730, 99K)

I'm Дapoy, блять. Гyгл зaблoчили, дoжили.

Good to know, thanks dude

Putin commie? lel

tor loads captcha well, just set it through foxyproxy for *google.com*. so you will at least be able to post here.

btw, the fuck's up with sosach? is it down? this morning monkey said he had visitors from department k.

Attached: komeiji satori (touhou) drawn by amo - Danbooru - 3fbc67909b4514ff83afdabdc70accba.jpg (1152x1876, 654K)

someone please ;-;

Monkey said that it is in fact down and that he doesn't know when it will be back up.
Huh...

just use the web client

>file storage servers
You mean like dropbox?

>buy/rent an SSL server
What? Do you mean a VPS? They usually don't have that much space or have limited bandwidth. And you need to set up everything yourself, what normie could actually do this?
If you rent out an actual server they aren't cheap.

Is there a difference between Windows versions (Basic, Enterprise, Ultimate, Etc) in terms of performance?

I have a decent laptop with 2 GBs of RAM, designed for Vista Basic, but I installed 7 Professional and the piece of shit is slow as fuck.
I already removed all the fancy bullshit like aero peek, the glass design and the window animation, shit's slow dawg.

how to degoogle iphone?
best free web browser for iphone? (I'm poorfag]

well what did you expect? back during bolotnaya i told you fucking dipshits that we need to storm kremlin right the fuck now instead of standing around jerking off with navalny like a bunch of retards. but NOO, gotta obey the state, we might get hurt is we start actually killing the fucking policemen.

now we're fucked, and we're gonna be more fucked in a month, i guarantee you they won't roll those blacklists back. and if they start blocking vpns and tor, or god forbid just mplement whitelists we're fucking FUCKED.
he's a kgb man, and there are no former kgb men. also putin is a midget pederast.

Attached: adiane21f4804003b443b50d1bc7f405588686.jpg (400x264, 27K)

>iphone
>poorfag

Attached: 1524315672964s.jpg (117x125, 3K)

>iphone
>poorfag

this is why.

nvm, fixed

Airmon-ng start doesnt change wlan0 to whatever it is supposed to be
Wat do?

as a side note, for clarity, most if not all linux systems don't have the actual unix shell installed, both because it's ancient and it's proprietary software.
instead "/bin/sh" is typically a symlink to bash. when you run bash as "sh", it's designed to act more like the unix shell, without the enhancements/changes of bash
the original unix shell is "the bourne shell", and bash is a gnu program, standing for "bourne-again shell", the pun in the name is typical of gnu stuff

Is there a way to run a small personal private cloud that isn't a PITA as openstack?

"cloud" is a pretty open-ended term, you should be more specific
nextcloud is pretty popular, and does what most people consider "the cloud"

What is a "spinlock aquisition" and what causes a kernel panic when it time out?

lol I hadn't noticed that pun

I've been emailing with a friend and he is telling me that he doesn't want to use email anymore. He wants to use something called "Discord". I don't quite understand what it is though. Can someone explain? When I think of various types of communication I think of a 2x2 grid specifying whether it's intended for 1on1 communication or a group, and then whether it's designed to be instant or anytime. Something like this...

| One-on-One | Group |
|=========================|
Live/Instant | AIM, MSN, etc. | IRC |
Anytime | Email | Forums |

Where the hell does Discord fit into this? From what I've read, it sounds like Discord is in the same category as instant messengers and not really suitable as a replacement for email. Am I wrong? I also don't like that it's one company controlling all the messages with proprietary software.

why the hell would you even want to use google ya digus
"muh big bad controlling gov is bad but it's allright if a company does it"

Using Linux exclusively.
Am I missing out on something?

Hey guise, I just had a wake up call and am interested in using a password manager. Everything I have has the same or similar password and if anyone was out to get me, I'd be fucked. But now I'm sure as to which one to use.
Jow Forums wiki's recommended one is KeepAss, but I don't really know anything about the other ones, and wouldn't be bothered by paying if it is very good.
What are the main pros and cons of each one, and what would you guys recommend me?

will I unironically learn something by installing gentoo?

anyone has an infographic on must-have Jow Forums related books?
also looking for more specific Jow Forums bibles, such as essential books for programmers, repairmans, etc.

Is it 32 or 64 bit?
Either way you probably could use more RAM.

i'm trying to remote access my pc over the internet using more native tools, i mean, without VPN programs or proxys.
But it's a mess of informations, nobody seems to really know how to do it.
Pls help

Attached: 1522689573139.jpg (1200x1131, 159K)

where should i get cheap domain names? i dont care how absurd it is like .cock or something as long as its cheap

dot tk inserts ads and shit in your page

>nobody seems to really know how to do it
>windows
remote desktop
Linux
>X11 forewarding

Though vnc is the better and quicker of the given options

linux: ssh (cli), vnc over ssh (gui)
windows: rdp (gui)

I need to download the first 1 second of every video published by a single YouTuber. Any ideas on how to do this effectively?

Attached: 1521092817716.png (861x990, 563K)

i know there's RDP, telnet, SSH, and all that is petty simple on a local network, the problem comes when you need to access from an external network. I don't see how simply putting the external ip would work since i share it with the whole town.

How do I make an episode of anime 60fps? Is it as easy as dropping it into handbrake and making the fps 60?

>I don't see how simply putting the external ip would work since i share it with the whole town.
No isp would be setup like this. You get your own lease when you connect to the internet
Setup port forwarding on the server and then dial in to it.
Simple

No,you need to double the frames.
You can do this with python scripts and ffmpeg

how do you get rid of white dots in gifs when they move? i'm using this script #!/bin/sh

palette="/tmp/palette.png"

filters="fps=15,scale=320:-1:flags=lanczos"

ffmpeg -v warning -i $1 -vf "$filters,palettegen" -y $palette
ffmpeg -v warning -i $1 -i $palette -lavfi "$filters [x]; [x][1:v] paletteuse" -y $2

How do I do this without bruteforcing it? I just need a screencap of a tracert from my laptop with lots of hops. The record is 30.

Attached: 30859515_10215131976029256_679718267_n.png (486x185, 16K)

ISP's where i live are pretty shady, i still didn't have the chance to confirm that my ip isn't unique but i hope you're right user.
Will try that, thanks

Discord is an IM program, so it is mostly "Live/Instant", but it does support both group chats (both IRC-style public group chats with multiple channels and private group chats) as well as instant messages. History is logged for all chats / IMs and you can send messages to offline people at any time, so maybe that's why your friend thinks it could be used as a replacement for email, however it's not quite as nice for browsing through an archive of past messages as email is, though you kind of can and there is a search feature.

You're right to be concerned about one company controlling all the messages (and storing a log of every public / private message you ever send on it), and not being able to use any third party clients. There are however quite a few alternative programs which are functionally very similar to Discord, such as Rocket.chat and Matrix (with the Riot client). Matrix is also good in that you don't all have to have an account on the same server and can communicate in the same way with people on any different server, kind of like email, whereas rocket.chat is only self-hostable. It might be hard to convince your friend to switch though since a lot of people use Discord.

Well m.2 can be keyed differently. Key-m is the standard for NVME storage. The adapter you are looking at will work if the m.2 is PCI (not SATA) however your motherboard may not support NVME boot off PCI/PCIE (could still be used as storage)

>my ip isn't unique
You can thave the same ip on the same network.. the dhcp server would notice a conflict...

how do i sync google drive with a folder on my desktop on linux?

How do you guys organize your image folder?

is the internet one network?
becuse there isn't enough ipv4 for everybody on the internet, some must be shared somehow

When you connect your modem to the fucking port in your god damn house.
It has a config file on it from the mother fucking isp
Now when this little faggot connects on that line, it knows where to look at for information
It requests this information
Now when it downloads this information it is told an IP to use.
Now when you little nigger modem has this ip, it is the only one on your isp's network that has this ip.

Now if you were a fucking bussiness that had a dedicated fiber line
You have a large internal network that all exits on the same little shit hole ip that your modem grabs on this fibre line

This is networking

Now shut the fuck up and stop posting.

I want to sell one of my old PCs i don't use but it doesnt give any signal or "beeps" when i turn it on.
Its a Pentium D with a Maxtor hard drive and 4 sticks of RAM. I've tried reseating the RAM but nothing.
What should i do ?

yes, but when you're on the internet you're not ONLY in the internet, you're on your isp's network or subnetwork and that network goes to the internet. So out there you don't have just an IP, you have a route, the IPs may match but the route is unique.

i have bad news for you, you're on /sqt/.

Anyone?

if it turns on but there is no video, it's probably your CPU or your mobo

what media are you using to install?
DVD? if flashdrive how did you made it bootable?

Rufus, an usb

What should I do?

Attached: IMG_20180422_174749.jpg (3968x2976, 3.62M)

I wanted to use a RAID (5 or 6) NAS for my media library storage, but I keep hearing all kinds of horror stories and "RAID IS NOT A BACKUP", with stuff like saying how if you go over a few TB with a RAID 5, then you are almost guaranteed to not be able to recover from a single drive failure due to natural i/o error rates.

Is it at all worth it to just have an identical NAS for backups that's literally sitting right next to the original and run RAID 0 on both? Or should I just do a RAID 1 in a single NAS? I'm making these out of spare cases and using software RAID, so the only cost is the HDDs really. Also is there any size limitations I should be worried about with 1 and 0 like there is with 5? I'll probably do like 5tb or something, maybe less.

you should try a CD, if it still doesn't work try another image.
don't use flashdrives, even though rufus is the best one for windows images some motherboards don't like the way they boot it

I don't have CDs or DVDs, I gotta use the usb

then either look for UEFI compatiblities or enables on your bios, or try another iso and make sure you select the right partition system for your intaller

>RAID IS NOT BACKUP
It is not, it is REDUNDENCY
>saying how if you go over a few TB with a RAID 5, then you are almost guaranteed to not be able to recover from a single drive failure due to natural i/o error rates.
False. You run a small risk when rebuilding because is one more drive dies, you cant rebuilt your array. This is why raid 6 was created and why you should use raid 6(2 drive failures)

>Is it at all worth it to just have an identical NAS for backups that's literally sitting right next to the original ]
Yes, but do not do raid-0 run raid 6 on it and do backups via scripts and cronjobs or manually everyday/week etc

just salvage it for parts, no one who knows tech will buy it and normies will come back bitching about it being slow and how you sold them a piece of crap.

where do i start learning ins and outs of arduino (uno)? i can turn on the led on pin 13 but don't know where to learn further. i have some diodes, resistors, simple buttons and one wierd diode with 3 pins but don't know how to use it or where to learn about it. i suppose i need to start with reading up on basic electronics?

Raid 6 on both? That makes this become really expensive really fast, and I don't see much of an advantage to using 6 anymore. I don't really need redundancy, just backup. So why not 0 since I get striping at a lower cost and I have the second NAS for the backup?

>really expensive
If you dont value your data why even bother with backup?
HDD's are dirt cheap.

>raid 0
Raid 0 stripes, meaning half on one half on the other. You have no redundency and no backup value here. either drive dies you've lost all your data.

If you want actual reducendy and backup.
Make two raid-6 arrays. 6 for parity, and then backup from the first array to the second.

muh win10 cant stop preparing automatic repair. i can run to desktop fine, but i have a new ssd i want to put all my shit on, but my pc wont recognize it because 'I/O error', so i figure if i do recovery and reinstall onto it, it might work. but i have left my laptop on the preparing automatic repair screen for like 13 hours and it hasnt moved

>i/o error
Run crystladisk smart on it.
It might be DOA

will do man, thanks

>If you dont value your data why even bother with backup?
I do, and that's why I want a backup. I'm not made of money, though.

>Raid 0 stripes, meaning half on one half on the other. You have no redundency and no backup value here. either drive dies you've lost all your data.
Yeah, but only one the one NAS. The whole point of having the second is for exactly this scenario.

I'm just on a budget and trying to find the most cost-effect solution, and unless I'm wrong, two RAID 6's would require an extra 4 drives, right? I was planning on using WD Reds, so that's not really dirt cheap. That's like an extra $300 for 4 extra 2TB drives.

Also, most of the stuff on here will be more "archival", meaning that if I lose a day of data, then it's not really a big deal. Most of the "critical" stuff that would change a lot would have the most recent version on my desktop anyway.

best way to use tablet (samsung tab4 10.1) as a second monitor for laptop?

WHEN WILL PIRATEBAY COME BACK UP

Attached: 1333668055662.jpg (126x126, 3K)

its alive as far as i can tell, but i cant initialize it

Attached: 20180422_132922.jpg (2576x1932, 2.34M)