/wdg/ Web Developer General

What are you doing to build the web Jow Forums?
What are you working on?

I'll start: I have read some benchmarks about golang, particularly that it can handle a much higher number of concurrent connections, and has a faster access to sql databases. So over the next couple weeks I will be porting the core pages of wiby search to golang (currently using php). The peripheral pages will remain php. Will report back if there are any real performance improvements. I like php, but its good to try new things every once in a while.

Attached: tmp714065603891036162.jpg (1240x1246, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neocities.org
github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby
browserleaks.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck the web

doh! the other one is still up. should have searched for /wdg/ not "web developer general". can delete if you want

onions detected

I need to learn Web dev so I can have a job.
What's a good php resource ? How do I make good things
I'm so fucked. Nobody will hire me

LXD / LXC manager

Is it possible to combine string methods in python during a print statement?

defend this
>.babelrc
>.babelrc.js
>.dockerignore
>.editorconfig
>.eslintrc
>.flowconfig
>.gitignore
>.prettierrc
>.travis.yml
>.yarnrc
>CHANGELOG.md
>CONTRIBUTING.md
>Dockerfile
>LICENSE
>README.md
>appveyor.yml
>dangerfile.js
>jest.config.js
>lerna.json
>netlify.toml
>package-lock.json
>package.json
>plopfile.js
>yarn.lock

>have to make german based website
>mfw chrome doesn't support auto hyphenation

Attached: 1292621795784.jpg (498x321, 39K)

>have to make german based website
why?

are you german?

I am tasked with making a website that uses the german language

didn't answer my question

I answered one of them. Is an answer to the other question really useful to you? To know that the author of 3 posts in this thread is german?

>german
Turk you mean

mate, your search engine doesn't work. I type in faggot and gives me no results

Just one quick question for you guys: can websites be free software? I don't mean the client part, but the server part. Even if the server uses GPL licensed programs, how can I make sure I'm using non modified/malicious versions of it? Are there any movements/techniques for webservers to assure the use of free software?

hello wdg i have a question,currently im doing machine learning and i need to visualize my data so i guess the easy way is to use webdev, i already know laravel but my ML code is in python, now should i just learn django to do this so i dont have to deal with different language shit or is it easier to just do it in laravel
i know im asking about frontend asking talking backend but i want to run some of my ML code in the backend

This is like asking a crippled man to defend his use of crutches. If he didn't use them, he'd have an even harder and more painful time walking. Similarly, what you're pointing at is a way to deal with the mess that is *nix, HTML, and JavaScript.

use D3.js for data viz

>So over the next couple weeks I will be porting the core pages of wiby search to golang (currently using php). The peripheral pages will remain php.
Sounds like a waste of effort, honestly, but good luck to you anyway. I love Wiby.

Flask
matplotlib
ggplot

can you read

i forgot i can use flask too, thanks user

>mfw learning regex

fuck my life, shit was kinda fun until now

Attached: what-the-fuck-am-i-matching.jpg (421x421, 115K)

I start my first job as a front end developer doing eCommerce work sometime next week. Any general advice? I'm not nervous about it at all.

Been out of the game for about a year or so now, a little bit has changed it seems in the Node world.

Any good references or videos I should be taking a look at to bring myself up to speed?

Also, I'm getting into testing (never really did it before). What exactly should I be testing? Everything? It just seems like a mess

maybe try turning off adult content filtering

I don't really know anything much about programming but I'd like to create my own browser startpage

can anyone tell me where to start? Maybe some examples of cool startpages and how they were made? I've seen some with looping gifs and all that.

I made my own by registering a domain name and setting up my own web server, then I built a page with some rss feeds from news sites and weather services

Brush up on technologies you know you'll be using. Also put together a reasonable budget for your income.

Thanks, I'm going to probably keep both versions accessible for a while so others can compare speed between go and php for this sort of site. If there's no improvement, at least I learned something new I guess.

I feel like that is a bit excessive, but I'm stupid. Why would I need my own domain name for a start page? I was under the impression it was just links to other websites and a search bar.

>Why would I need my own domain name for a start page?
You don't. Learn a little HTML and you're good to go.

babel --> Using most up-to-date Javascript with backwards compatibility
docker --> Not everything needs to be in docker
editconfig --> shouldn't be committed
eslint --> All code should look like one person coded it
flowconfig --> too stupid to just use typescript
gitignore --> To avoid cluttering git with useless junk
prettier --> Config for more intelligent pretty-printing of code
travis --> CI
yarn --> package management
CHANGELOG --> hopefully they use this
CONTRIBUTING --> useful so people know how to contribute
Dockerfile --> easy setup on docker
LICENCE --> better be an OSS licence
README --> needed
appveyor --> IDK why people use Travis+Appveyor but whatever
dangerfile --> double checks humans are doing their jobs, good
jest --> Testing, good
lerna --> splitting code into submodules, good for people who like to only take pieces of a library if they only need 1/10th of the whole pie
netlify --> I can't defend this, I don't know enough about it
package-lock --> redundant with yarn.lock
package.json --> redundant with yarn
plopfile --> Keeps people consistent with architecture, good
yarn.lock --> redundant with package-lock

Yarn > NPM so the redundancy is necessary.

neocities.org

Make a free website and start building shit on it with just HTML/CSS. Maybe add a little bit of Javascript to see how it works.

Then look into static site generators - or take a smaller step and just look at templating languages like Pug and Sass.

Build your way up with strong foundations before jumping in deep with things like JS frameworks.

This. Try building one on neocities first.

copy paste the source of someone else's startpage addon and use that. shouldn't be too hard

fuck these idiots telling you to learn javascript and sass, fucking lmao.

solid I'll give it a shot.

I'll probably do that so I can tinker with stuff and get a feeling of accomplishment even though I haven't really made anything.

Your lack of respect for the German language concerns me. Du nimmst dich viel zu ernst.

Having a mess like that explained to me for the first time in my life --> good

Sass is just nice-to-have, JS is here to stay. What's your problem with JS? It's a garbage language, but you need it.

ive got a job interview in a few days and this is what the job description says
>sql
>Web development in the .NET Framework and C#.
i've done a lot of web dev with nodejs but never .net anyone guess what framework they are using? asp .net?

Hey guys, I'm creating a job board for a specific vocation. I already know some people, job seekers and agencies, job providers that would be interested in having such board and use it, but would it be sensible to pull job postings from other job boards related to my niche? Are there any other ways to engage more people on my site and make it look like it has more traffic?

package.json isn't redundant. Yarn adds all dependencies to this as well. Sharing your project will need it as well since you don't want to include the node modules folder but instead a list of dependencies so others can install it.

u srs

Attached: 1524325421766.jpg (500x376, 19K)

No problem. All the different configs becomes quite messy - I'm honestly surprised I don't see webpack or grunt/gulp in that giant list. You won't see the following in many projects though, as they are uncommon and only solve some niche issues: Lerna, netlify, dangerfile, flowconfig, plopfile

Sometimes you'll see two different testing libraries (eg: Jest + Mocha if they use Coffeescript). Instead of Flow you'll often see Typescript. It isn't common to write in Typescript then run it through Babel afterwards for pre-ES5 compatibility.

I'm also surprised I don't see Grunt/Gulp/Webpack anywhere in that mess. I think Javascript development would be significantly better to have a ./configs folder where all this cruft can go but that would break a lot of current tooling.

The directory would look much cleaner as

/configs
CHANGELOG.md
CONTRIBUTING.md
LICENCE.md
README.md
yarn.lock
package.json
package-lock

Attached: main-qimg-9ba6f2f7e0974482370352c7dccb55d3.gif (345x269, 28K)

What's the best React tutorial I can follow along to get a React SPA up and running quickly? Ideally one that shows how to use React with a PHP backend? I already know HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/SQL, but I've never used React and I need to get an SPA up and running.

I know there are a million tutorials out there but I was hoping some of you guys have already gone through a lot of them and figured out which ones suck the least.

i'm the poster of this is the source

github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby

>Blazing-fast static site generator for React

package.json is used if submitting it as a package to NPM, it's just metadata about the project.

yarn.lock includes the dependencies as well as the dependencies of the dependencies.

package.json includes some additional metadata such as:

{
"name": "",
"version": "1.0.0",
"description": "",
"main": "", // Main page (eg: /index.html
"repository": "", // Remote
"author": "", // Author Name
"license": "MITNFA",
"private": false,
"dependencies": {
// Direct dependencies only
}
}

There is some overlap (dependencies) but yarn.lock isn't 100% redundant as it lacks the additional metadata outside of direct dependencies.

yes.

thx

Explains the use of Flow, that's Facebook's shit so it plays nicely with React.

My post about ./configs is just a personal preference thing. Once you get used to treating /src/ as the actual "home" of the project and the root as "the place all the configs and boring info goes" it isn't bad.

The framework you'll be using is .NET, you said it yourself

Man I feel like most of my knowledge about software is web stuff, but all these frameworks look so fucking disgusting. I really don't want to have to learn one in order to get a job. The majority of websites are so fucked and I don't understand why every company does this. Is it truly onions and memes all the way up?

Honestly depends on what you want to do. You'll generally only need a couple of frameworks for generic webdev I find.

I do purely do backend and I really only use Express, but if you're going to be doing both front/backend stuff, obviously you'll have to know some more.

>github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby
What's up with github. Their css isn't loading form today. Anyone else got this?

nah

maybe you're blocking it?

Might be your css isnt being loaded over https because the https cert is being rejected. This can happen if your computer's time is wrong

>JScript

Huh, I was blocking imgur.com's ip-range and now that I've unblocked it it's working again. (151.101.0.0 - 151.101.255.255). Guess it's not as easy as I thought it was.

Yea that one's tricky. github's css is hosted on assets-cdn.github.com, which resolves to 151.101.112.133, which you were blocking. Just a coincidence.

Should only need to block these.

Thanks, will do. How did you find those?

I work at GitHub.

Woah, that's dope. Was it hard getting the job?

Lots of trial and error from blocking Imgur.

>I was blocking imgur.com's ip-range
Out of interest, why are you doing that?

Attached: dd.jpg (992x558, 33K)

Internet addict, browsing imgur and having no self-control was destroying my life. I also block loads of other silly stuff. Mainly io-games.

makes sense as a productivity aid I guess.

I don't wish to be tracked by Imgur.

Block stuff on the router. Change the router password to something you can't possibly remember. Write it down to a piece of paper and leave it in an inconvenient place.

>what is cookie autodelete

you cannot seriously believe this is all it takes

>implying they're only tracking you with cookies
Are you retarded, user?

I don't have access to the router. But I guess I could ask my landlord. I also thought about just calling my isp and begging them to have a blacklist specifically for me :D

i use ublock origin that blocks a ton of trackers.

Github uses canvas fingerprinting, umatrix could prolly solve that

I don't watch TBBT, as should you, so you'll have to elaborate on that one.

Can someone help me name my startup?
The idea is to find people flying between cities, and pre-transport their luggage together in a van.
They save 60% off airline baggage fees and dont have the hassle of lugging their stuff through the airport.

Currently have the development-name "Uber for luggage"

Attached: dog.jpg (700x524, 50K)

Two questions.

Question one. When it comes to web scraping in 2018, which is the better option:

Python
or
A particular web scraping module from npm?

Question two. When it comes to CRUD in 2018, which is the better option?

PHP
orrrrrrrr
Node?

ffs, i don't work for GitHub,

Can you by a router for yourself?

looks like someone wants to get sued by Oracle

uBlock blocks 3rd party trackers - not 1st party tracking. By visiting imgur.com's servers you are being tracked by Imgur. By using uBlock when visiting imgur.com you are being tracked by Imgur, but may not be tracked by Google Analytics and whatever other 3rd party tracking they use.

U-Luggage
We-Carry
Inter-slice

Guiis! I want to display example/about.php when someone enters the uri example.com/about/ . Till now I thought adding rewriterule to .htaccess was the way to do that. But now, I watched laracasts.com/series/php-for-beginners/episodes/16 and in it, the guy routes requests through php! Should I stick to the old one or ise this php routing from now on? Absolute phplet here.

Attached: 1505243576735.png (645x729, 54K)

buy*

>canvas fingerprinting
Oh shit, didn't know about that one. Jesus christ, that's pretty goddamn clever. I wanna meet the guy who came up with this stuff like holy crap.

Thanks.
these are 1000 times better than what I have.

Thank you for the compliment. I literally just dropped by this thread to share my great ideas. Btw the last one is a Simpsons reference so don't use that.

just combine synonyms of luggage with synonyms of uber

>U-baggage
>U-gear
>U-paraphernalia
>U-trunk
>U-case
>U-things
>U-valise
>U-carry-on
>U-fortnighter
>U-suit bag

>PHP
>orrrrrrrr
>Node?
I'am sorry for you.

you haven't seen nothing

browserleaks.com/

Attached: 1524391381877s.jpg (250x230, 12K)

>better

for scraping either works. Pick what you want.
Node, but I am biased. And if you ask someone else you will instead hear their biased opinion.

>Canvas fingerprinting is one of a number of browser fingerprinting techniques of tracking online users that allow websites to identify and track visitors using HTML5 canvas element instead of browser cookies or other similar means.
>The technique received wide media coverage in 2014 after researchers from Princeton University and KU Leuven University described it in their paper "The Web never forgets"

Baggage Bus

I just want to make a message board. I made one in vanilla PHP & MySQL last year cos it was how the pros did it back in my prime internet years and I wanted to be a pro. I was very happy about what I had made. Now I want to be a contemporary pro and I want to know what the 2018 web development gang use to produce forums. I assume it is a Node.js package and MySQL now.

I think I can. Jesus, that should actually be possible, how did that never occur to me. You sir, just solved my mid-life-crisis.

>message board
ANOTHER one?

c'mon

underrated

for EDUCATIONAL purposes geez are we not all making projects that have been made a million times before to teach ourselves here