/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 2700X / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1483974609716.jpg (1100x1002, 540K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/K78WbX
pcpartpicker.com/list/DWbNq4
pcpartpicker.com/product/MC7CmG/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-aorus-video-card-gv-n1060aorus-6gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/7RKhP6/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-windforce-oc-6g-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/ybrcCJ/gskill-tridentz-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzr
twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/987435856997863426
pcpartpicker.com/list/wJW27W
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153216
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4ybNq4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's...concerning
As is the general state of newegg reviews, the boards with the most reviews are 2-3 stars (eggs?) with lots and lots of DOA and other issues.
Should I just dump money at intel again? At least I know their shit works properly

pcpartpicker.com/list/K78WbX

pcpartpicker.com/list/DWbNq4 (Need a motherboard with this one)

Which build is worth

What does /pcbg/ think of small form factor PCs

Love them, what have you got in mind?

The crosshair 6 specifically has excellent memory support. My corsair vengeance ram (3200mhz) just werks™ out of the box and its not B-die ram.

Based image, OP.

So is the main issue people have with making Ryzen work memory compatibility?
I run loonix and AMD/ATI support is already kind of shit, so I'm a little skiddish about switching brands especially after seeing this many bad reviews. People are fucking idiots so sure, some people are gunna not realize what their mistake was and shit on it, but there's a *lot* of those reviews so

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'll give it a shot

So I got a Vega 56 that I put a Morpheus II cooler on, which is the first time I've ever modified any of my GPUs. While my average temps have been a hell of alot better than the reference blower, I've noticed my hotspot temps have been getting hot as fuark, around 95 to 103 C at it's highest.
I'm on my second repaste on this cooler, and I'm starting to think it's the way I've been applying the paste. I heard that letting the heatsink spread the paste during install is a bad idea on GPUs since they don't have heat spreaders, so I've been manually spreading it. Is this true?

Pic is my last repaste attempt

Attached: 20180415_155804.jpg (4160x3120, 3.8M)

Newegg reviews really don't matter
X470 and Zen+ have better memory support overall so most configurations should work as intended.
Intel shit only works because this is their 5th iteration of Skylake (counting Core-X). At launch it was also pretty bad.

>So is the main issue people have with making Ryzen work memory compatibility?

It was an issue a year ago. What Jow Forums forgets (because of retardation) was motherboard manufacturers (and AMD) were pumping out bios updates like madmen explicitly to get memory compatability sorted. Ypu're still not going to run those luidcrously clocked kits on ryzen (they barely work on Intel) but these days you don't explicitly need B-die ram to hit 3200mhz for example.

I take newegg reviews with a grain of salt but they're generally good indicators of DOA/Does-the-thing-even-work

I don't plan on running any kind of crazy clocks or anything. I'm still squatting on an i5-4440 with 8GB of RAM and it's just really showing its age now, so I wanna jump onto something with a bunch of cores so I don't slug when running VM passthrough and just jam a bunch of RAM into it, probably 32GB, then I can forget about it for the next 5 years.
What's B-die RAM? Never heard that term.

As long as the whole die is covered it should be fine. As long as the paste isn't electrically conductive it's not even gonna hurt to have it splotching out over those capacitors next to the die.

about to get a MSI X470 GAMING PRO AMD for a Ryzen 2700X.

is this a good choice?

Yes, since GPU cooling is on-die being sure that the whole thing is coated in paste is very important.
Make sure that your temp monitoring software is pulling accurate temps as well.
B-die is one of Samsung's high-performance skews of memory chips. You can easily spot this if you see a kit rated at 3000+ with a cas latency of 14 since other chips just can't go that low. It played great with 1st gen Ryzen.

Should I buy Ryzen or wait for the new Intel coming in Q2?
PC mostly for gaming, but Ryzen looks good for streaming if I ever want to do that.

Poor choice 1151v2 mobo in the first one. No cooling on the few VRMs so you won't be able to use an i7 at full capacity if you decide to upgrade. Also you can't use 3000MHz RAM with that chipset

Still a shitty monitor. 75Hz TN panel is retarded. Either you get IPS at a low Hz like that or you get a better 144Hz VA panel

Depend on what you have now. Obviously if you have something sufficient just wait to see what developments the CPU tech + market make.

Intel will just be adding more segmentation
Basically the same products that we have now, just a little bit better for a little bit more.

Thoughts on the MSI Optix g24c?
I can get one for $170, but I've never used a curved monitor and I've heard VA monitors have ghosting problems.
If not the MSI I'd go for a ViewSonic XG2402

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DWbNq4
Get the X470 Ultra Gaming, a 24MP59G-P or a H236HLbid, a 620 EVO and one of these
pcpartpicker.com/product/MC7CmG/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-aorus-video-card-gv-n1060aorus-6gd
pcpartpicker.com/product/7RKhP6/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-windforce-oc-6g-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd

Attached: 4ec528.png (458x458, 163K)

Does anyone know the size of the AMD's wraith prism cooler?

It's an i5 why are you talking about an i7

I believe it still uses a 92mm fan, so it's about 10cm×10cm and 9cm tall

>reading comprehension
You seem like an idiot anyway

Looking for help with a monitor.

Must have:
27''
1440p
IPS
can be mounted on a wall/arm
matte borders, no glossy plastic

Will be used for:
programming
occasional non-competitive gaming/movies

Budget: $400

idc about g-sync or 144mhz memes

Attached: asdf.jpg (800x800, 49K)

Struggling to pick a new monitor, currently got a 4gb 580 and I don't know if it's worth aiming for a 144hz 1080p monitor, or if the GPU will fail to make it worthwhile

I haven't upgraded since 2011. Runs most of what I want just fine still, but my PSU died on me recently which made me start looking at new parts in general.

Opinions on pcpartpicker.com/product/ybrcCJ/gskill-tridentz-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzr

Looking for 16 gb ram for the asus prime x470 pro.

I installed a $20 aftermarket cooler (deepcool 200m) onto my Ryzen 2400G with an asus b350 tuf mobo. It keeps my CPU temperatures cooler but now I have massive CPU throttling when it hits 65 degrees while gaming, everything goes to shit for ten seconds at 800MHz until the temperature restores in the 50s and then climbs back up to repeat the snafu all over again.

The exact same OC settings never caused shit for me with the stock cooler and I've fucked around with every setting there is, BIOS, power settings, drivers, fan speeds, tested some benchmarks.

I've checked the mobo VRM temperatures (?) through HWMonitor looking at the "TMPIN[X]" values and they're below the CPU temperatures, usually in the 40s-60s when the shenanigans are going on.

It looks like the most likely explanation is that the new fan going "sideways" just doesn't cool the mobo as well as the stock cooler does, but I'd hate for this to be the case given the motherboard to me was recommended for its decent VRMs and I'm looking for any other explanation.

Would appreciate if someone has any ideas to troubleshoot this.

Attached: 1512330859846.png (599x372, 243K)

>tfw 1080 ti strix comes in this week
>tfw 4 K gaming with i7 8700k
just in time for summer gaems

Attached: AWOO.gif (500x288, 3.82M)

Besides the obvious issues with the size is the NH-D15 the best cooler under $150? Had someone yesterday tell me to get it over the Evga 280mm. Coming from a (dying) H240-X.

So just throwing out a couple of things. BIOS revision? I would suggest upgrading to 4008 if you can on ASUS (although I need to downgrade since my crap memory is not playing ball) since it apparently has some smoothness fixes and whatnot which may fix when you get throttled.

twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/987435856997863426

But in my opinion, VRM temperatures should not throttle you and IIRC, all of the non-high end B350 boards from ASUS is 4+2 phase. I think the 4 phase on the TUF board has a heatsink over it, but the other 2 don't, but I doubt the 2 phase is the problem.

Thanks for suggesting it, but I've tried using both 3805 and 4008 BIOSes, both have the same problems. From what I hear anyway the iGPU throttling fix in the latest BIOS is unrelated and has more to do with people who can't manually set their GPU OC to prevent that being throttled on A320 mobos.

I'm also finding that my low mobo temperatures really don't correlate to the problems I'm having, but I'm really running out of ideas for what the hell else it could be when it predictably throttles down between 65-68 degrees C.

Worst comes to worst I'll just slap the stock heatsink back on, I'd just rather find out what's causing the issue.

Is this OK?

Question mainly concerns CPU/MoBo as I know they are for the very long time (my 3930k that I can not reuse is still awesome 5+ years later)

I have an old monitor (PA279Q) and I will wait until new graphics cards are out/mining craze is over.

Would probably use my 7970Ghz for the time being.

I'll mostly use Linux, compile packages, run models in Stata/R/Python.

Would like to game for once in my life with actual 60FPS on Ultras.

Attached: Screenshot_20180422-213920.png (1080x1920, 397K)

Sure but why not get a decent GPU while you're at it?

Seems fine, I just ordered that same pair a few hours ago for the same mobo and 2600X. It's also on the approved QVL list from asus.

From online, I found this snippet, interestingly enough from Tom's Hardware review of the 2400G.

>For one reason or another, the 2400G throttles while its total power consumption is at a rather moderate average of 44W. The spiky behavior only starts after the throttling-like phenomenon kicks in. This is most definitely not due to thermal limits either, since an average temperature of 52°C and a ~60°C peak aren't problematic readings.

It seems as if Turbo/Boost mode is the culprit for this and you should try turning it off.

I have a similar build I ordered recently, but couldn't justify the 2700X for gaming. The extra 2 cores won't be useful anytime soon, and it's very likely that by the time you want 8 cores for gaming, there will be better CPUs available on the AM4 socket. The money you save today + selling your old CPU will likely cover the upgrade costs when that time comes.

As long as it's not the cheapest x470 you should be fine.

Hore shit that's a useful link. It seems to describe a different type of throttling though, mine in particular is one where it jams down to 800MHz for 5-10 seconds then goes back to normal until it hits 65 degrees again.
Turbo/Boost as the culprits are interesting, I've tried using both the motherboard-offered "turbo" modes for CPU/GPU OCing as well as "manual" modes to set their clocks, both having the same ill-fated results. My performance doesn't throttle when running all stock, but that's only because I can't manage to push my temperatures past 60 degrees while gaming, though IIRC when I tried hammering the CPU with benchmarks there wasn't any downclocking.

Power draw does narrow down my problems though, so thanks for pointing it out.

Attached: 1520822190930.jpg (800x448, 74K)

I now see the elitism that they speak about here on Jow Forums

>Sure but why not get a decent GPU while you're at it?
It's a present from my parents. I'm living in another country and they want to give me something for up to 1000€>

The card alone is around 3/4 of the budget.
And while CPUs can last a very long time, GPUs are rapidly becoming inadequate for current games. Therefore it only makes sense to buy one at the very last moment when I can afford one myself.

I currently have a 3930k and feel like another 6 cores CPU wouldn't be an upgrade. And I'll definitely send in this one for at least another 5 years.

I'd probably be ok with using 3930k if I were able to bring it here.

Is the motherboard good? I've had Asus ROG IV(I think) and it suddenly died one day.

Also, why do all the RAM names are so retarded?

Does this seem like a decent cheap VR Build? I plan on using my DVD drive and 500w PSU from my old PC. My budget is $1,000. I already have the VR set.

pcpartpicker.com/list/wJW27W

Why not dark rock 4?

If you're spending that much on a CPU cooler why not get a Noctua NH D-15 or a closed loop watercooler instead?

Have you considered not making your parents give you a quickly depreceting asset like pc hardware that according to your desrciption you won't even really use? You can get them to give you a nice(-ish) watch for that money if you want something that lasts for a longer time.

old (noname?) 500w psu seems a bit weak for a Intel cpu and a beefy GPU, maybe you should get a new one.

Didn't notice it in the listings. Will fix!

>closed loop watercooler instead?
Aren't they memes?
I had a Silverstone ft02 with vertical (down-up) air flow add it was awesome. It was pretty good at venting even they CPU cooler.
If I get one of those water ones, I'll have to install them somewhere it the side, so they wouldn't benefit from case air flow, would they?
I just want silence and efficiency.

I'm pretty happy with everything and PC is the only thing I can think of. I had one since I was 3Y.O. and they make me truly happy. Just sitting in the dark, compiling something and watching something.

I already have 3 watches and wouldn't green anything from another one.

It's a thermaltake PSU

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153216

Yeh i triple checked but i am not familiar with the brand, hence why i asked. I wanted to go for 32gb, 2 sticks but then again i don't really use it and the 32gbs/2p on the list are very few.

Looking for a motherboard to go with my 8400.

is it the actual gpu die getting hot or the other components?

Why shouldn't I get an X399M Taichi? mATX TR sounds pretty sexy.

Forgot to mention already have a 1tb hard drive to put in as well.

want some help, finally got some money and want to get a proper computer.

>budget
CA$1000

>uses
deep learning and gaming

t. pudoo patel

Attached: 1501912030011.png (568x612, 187K)

just in time for summer break, summerfag now

>No threadripper
>no used xeons
>3 redundant low end cpus
>low performance obsolete intel shit to pacify shills
Could you literally make it worse than it is right now

I bought this faggy B350 mobo for my shiny new 2600x and it won't even post. Fucking faggy piece of shit fag.

Now I gotta return it and go to the post office and talk to somebody AND order a new mobo. And that one probably won't work, too. Fucking fags.

Attached: 1499045259082.jpg (3708x4632, 3.29M)

>hes too dumb to install bios updates

Attached: 1495621675650s.jpg (123x125, 4K)

Look here, my dude. I can't install a BIOS update on this thing without another CPU to throw in there in the meantime.

AMD will send you a bootable CPU so you can update the BIOS.

ask amd for one, they will send out something

Is it possible to install Windows 7 with the i3 8100 or am I stuck with 10?

I want to use the iGPU, by the way.

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx
At the bottom are instructions to get a boot kit

You gay faggots are the best friends a faggotlord like me could ask for. You fucking idiots.

Attached: 1505420737171.png (1280x720, 741K)

im anyone got some opinions on this build? ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4ybNq4

light gaming and light analytics (mostly deep learning).

can a prebuilt pc have it's gpu changed? I noticed my gf's pc has like 32gb of ram and Intel Xeon E5-1620 which apparently according to can i run it is in the 99th percentile.

She said she bought this pc 4 years ago for rendering and photoshop for college.

So can I just replace the parts inside ooooor is that not recommended. Would save me a shit load of money

Well, the hotspot temp sensor seems to be somewhere on the die, according to some research I've done. The only way some people have been able to get the hotspot temps down is by repasting with more paste. AMD haven't released any data on where it actually is so a bit of trial and error is involved.

What's the best use for an A6-9500E?

in the garbage

>i3 8100

You can add to the RAM to the motherboard if it supports it and as open slots. Google the motherboard and check how much RAM it caps out at. Probably 64GB.

As a paperweight.

sure you can, just make sure you have enough expansion slots and more importantly the psu can handle the additional load. Sometimes prebuilts come wiht a shitty psu that doesn't even have a 6 or 8 pin 12v cable so you'd be limited to 75w cards.

What about it?

Its shit

so worse case scenario i gotta buy it a new psu?

>not using a soic clip to flash update the bios
nu-Jow Forums is disgusting

What's a better alternative?

If you say the 2200G I'm going to laugh at you, by the way.

How closely do I need to stick to the QVL list for TR? I'm looking at some TeamGroup Dark Pro sticks or possibly some G.Skill stuff but the particular model numbers aren't on the list of the boards I'm looking at.

Don't waste $80 on that cooler, the 2700x cooler is good enough for decent OC and there's huge diminishing returns after going over 4.1GHz anyways.

>i-intel i-is f-f-faster thou

Attached: intelbtfohard.jpg (1327x1103, 540K)

>toasting bs benches, again
Just stop, you aren't going to get away with it

Attached: Ryzen 2 gaming average OC.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

Nevermind, I figured it out, thank god.

>anandtech retested and found their mistakes
kek, did you really think AMD could ever beat Intel?

Attached: Ryzen 2 gaming average.png (1920x1080, 1.1M)

You should refrain from posting this. It looks great for AMD now, but it might have been a mistake from AT on the gaming side. Their application benchmarks line up with the others, but something happened with gaming.
You should post that latency image in vidya that shows the 2700x with just about equal performance with an OCd 8700k when you tighten the RAM timings.

Currency: NOK
Budget: No restrictions

Speccy is current setup.

The usb's are starting to act up on my mobo and I am starting to think about buying another rig, moving this to the livingroom doing VR until it dies.
I got an old 660TI gpu I am thinking of putting in the new rig, I think it will be enough for medium gaming. Also will be taking the larger ssd from the current rig.

Stuff it needs to run:
Medium gaming until my current rig dies, then high end
Unity (I wont be doing any 3D modeling)
Programming IDE's

Attached: speccy.png (693x551, 43K)

>but it might have been a mistake from AT on the gaming side
It is a mistake. They forgot to uncheck one of the MCE-like frequency enhancements on their tested motherboard.

>almost 120fps minimums on a 2700x
Please stop me from upgrading the 1700.

>if amd wins its a wrong benchmark
the state of intel shills

Attached: 8700kbtfo.png (1046x193, 30K)

But it is a wrong benchmark. It just so happens that AMD loses in the correct ones.

They didn't make any mistakes though, they reviewed the data and found nothing wrong with it.

>Please stop me from upgrading the 1700.
You'd have to be a retard to upgrade from the 1700. There, you've been stopped.
The only decent upgrade will be Zen 2 / Ryzen 3 if the high end is 12c/24t (and your board supports it, which is questionable)

>back the fuck off??

Did you not check their Twitter page?

the one that last tweeted 3 days ago?

(((It just so happens that AMD loses in the correct ones.)))
literal 1984 tier mental gymnastics

Attached: 8600vs2600xmaxed.png (937x703, 513K)

I have a very bad 1700 though. It can barely do 3.8GHz and had to lower it to just about the turbo range but on all cores.
I can sell the 1700 for $200 right now, so it's not a big deal putting in $130 for 600MHz extra on single threaded shit.

So you're telling me that if I build a computer right now and I care about CPU performance I should get a 2600X or a 2700X because they are better CPU's than the i7-8700k? I'm asking because I trust you user, I trust user's more than I trust some random youtubers that are probably literal shills.

Attached: 1419362114117.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

Yes, and "probably literal shills" opens it up to me just calling anyone like toms or tpu "probably literal shills".