C#

I will never thought I would say this about something made by M$ but, why it feels so nice to code in C# ?, I love C++ freedom but the boilerplate for simple things is a pain in the ass.

Attached: index.png (225x225, 6K)

>why it feel so pajeet and bobs?

Because it's easy.

it's a nice language. But they shot themselves in the foot by not going open source from the beginning.

C++11/14 is as easy as C# and feels much more bloated than C#

>and feels much more bloated than C#

Using modern best practices, it just feels like a slightly different language. Although the syntax for generics is still a bit unpleasant.

I have noticed a considerable amount of microsoft telemarketers shilling their products, what's going on?

C# is utter garbage, it's good for nothing.
As a language it's bland and underwhelming. Especially compared to newer, modern languages like Rust, Elixir and Nim. If you want to look at something cool try OCaml and Haskell.
If you want performance C# is not an option. But you can use D with -betterC subset.
If you want jobs, Java is much better.
C# offers zero (ZERO) unique/killer features. It doesn't have a killer app despite the constant shilling by Micros**t.
Fuck off, OP.

> C++ freedom but the boilerplate for simple things is a pain in the ass.
Stop pretending that C# isn't full of OOP boilerplate garbage too.

Attached: 1517452147559.jpg (1291x3600, 610K)

Windows forms is a fairly "killer" future
But generally there isn't any area with and language where there isn't at least two options. Each will have their ups and downs.
Nim is a meme, Rust is great but needs more tooling and library development until it's ready for most people.
.NET jobs are fairly common in some countries, depending on how big MS is there (if you'd search for .net instead of c# you'd get a lot more results on pic related, though I guess that's the point)
Language wars are brainlet tier, unless you're shitting on Go

Attached: lolnogenerics.jpg (1438x788, 109K)

>there are more places hiring java developers than c# developers, therefore java is better
it could also mean java developers are really shitty so the turnover rate is super high, meanwhile c# developers are useful and highly skilled so they retain their positions longer
memeing aside no giant company would ever use something that their competitor makes... google would never use c# because microsoft, apple would never use c# because microsoft, etc.
also smaller companies (the ones that non-silicon valley developers, the vast majority of developers, actually work at) use c# because the whole ASP .NET stack is versatile and easily implementable (windows server, iis, etc.)
IMO it sounds like you've never actually used C# and just have a bug up your ass

>(windows server, iis, etc.)
also MS SQL + entity framework, windows authentication with active directory, xamarin, web api, SignalR
all really useful in the enterprise web app development space

also .net core is sick

>there are more places hiring java developers than c# developers, therefore java is better
No, therefore knowing java makes you more hireable. If you are talking about language itself, C# is very underwhelming.

I did use C# back in .NET 3.5 days. I don't have a reason to use or consider C# since modern C++ is does the job efficiently. I also like where Rust is headed towards.
.net core is a second class citizen

I don't do webdev, it's none of my concern.

I hate ms as mich as the next guy, but I can't really rip on .net framework and visual studio in good faith. They are solid producta. Win 10 on the other hand....

>I also like where Rust is headed towards.
>As a language it's bland and underwhelming. Especially compared to newer, modern languages like Rust, Elixir and Nim. If you want to look at something cool try OCaml and Haskell.
the difference being you can actually use C# to make something useful easily
C# is a language for productivity. if a company wants "something that does X, Y and Z" a C# developer can wip something up that solves literally all their problems, has a use interface with a login screen, etc. in like a couple hours (ASP .NET MVC with scaffolding)
if you asked the same from a Rust, Elixir, Nim, OCaml or Haskell developer first they would have to invent the wheel and it would cost the company significantly more

>C# is a language for productivity
So is python and ruby. And they actually are cross platform, able to run without the walled garden of micros**t.
>developer can wip something up that solves literally all their problems, has a use interface with a login screen, etc. in like a couple hours
Read above.

>t. Jow Forumsprogrammingcirclejerk

Attached: 1492418017954.jpg (1508x1493, 437K)

>So is python and ruby.
this isn't an argument. all you've done is complimented python and ruby
>And they actually are cross platform
who exactly needs "cross platform" when i can create a web application that does everything software does, spin up a window server instance, setup the DNS, and have the application accessible from anywhere on any device (in the form of a web application with a responsive UI)
"cross platform" hasn't mattered for the last decade as far as i'm concerned

>this isn't an argument.
And this isn't a "feature" of C# too. I don't find any actual use of C#, especially when it's so neutered down in other platforms. You don't need C# to set up a DNS or activate a server.
Cross platform matters when you aren't workin in a shitty startup anymore.

There are two types of people on Jow Forums, those who post arguments, and those who post one argument and then follow it with bait.
Eitherway, by responding with a non argument you admit you've lost.
At the very worst, C# is competition to Java which encourages it to not be so damn far behind. A big part of the reason why java has generics, lambdas and such. Maybe it'll get value tuples, pattern matching and non-nullable types soon.

>web application with a responsive UI
kek, responsive my ass.

What's the crown jewel of microsoft these days? VS Code? Literally glitches in non-poorfag DPI.

>"cross platform" hasn't mattered for the last decade as far as i'm concerned
I wonder why your underterministic runtime is written in C++ then LOL, and nice try with botnet core

>Cross platform matters when you aren't workin in a shitty startup anymore.
if you think only "shitty startups" are using asp .net to build/maintain large enterprise web applications you're very ignorant
>kek, responsive my ass.
what does this even mean? when you create a new ASP .NET MVC project in visual studio by default it already has bootstrap with a responsive UI (including a mobile version) setup.
>I wonder why your underterministic runtime is written in C++ then LOL, and nice try with botnet core
what point are you trying to make exactly? yes "cross platform" doesn't matter when you're talking about web applications because every computer, every device, every phone has an internet browser. all internet browsers can understand HTML, CSS and JavaScript. the server-side code is irrelevant, whether it was written in C# or Java or whatever

the problem is you guys are software devs so you don't understand a very large portion of what C# developers actually do. web application development is very different

>of what C# developers
of what most* C# developers

>"cross platform" doesn't matter when you're talking about web applications because every computer, every device, every phone has an internet browser. all internet browsers can understand HTML, CSS and JavaScript. the server-side code is irrelevant, whether it was written in C# or Java or whatever
Except when it comes to non trivial resource intensive applications, for example games, video editors and other production software. You can write webapps in python and be more productive any day, if you are resorting to the fact that you can do webapps with it you aren't convincing anybody.

Here's a food for thought for you: If C# is so damn good, name 3 killer apps it has. By killer I mean killer, not alternatives to superior softwares.

>bootstrap with a responsive UI
300Mb on idle 500Mb for blinking cursors

>why it feels so nice to code in C# ?
Ergonomics. Doesn't mean it's automatically superior to C++ in any aspect though.

C# belongs to trash. You can go use other languages that provide a greater extend of ergonomics.

extent*/degree*
my bad

Recommend me a beginner-friendly project to get acquainted with C# and the .NET ecosystem please

Attached: Illyafsn.jpg (704x396, 28K)

>If you want jobs, Java is much better.

Legacy shit that no one wants touch.

>no giant company would ever use something that their competitor makes
Unless it's free and open source, to bad Micro$hit didn't made it open in the beginning

It is open source since the beginning.

>It doesn't have a killer app

Blox ur paff.

Attached: 1200px-Unity_Technologies_Logo.svg[1].png (1200x436, 18K)

That's not a killer app.

>If C# is so damn good, name 3 killer apps it has.
Subjective and irrelevant point.

C# as most Ms tools are used to develop enterprise products, not popular small apps.

Also, if its so bad, why its not dead yet?

Lambdas disgusting, abuse of move semantics, abuse of constexpr, std::map is insane, for some reason people still use classes where they should use structs and good fucking luck finding a bug in that library you use because it's an amalgamation of three different standards whose features it tries to use as much as possible.
I cry myself to sleep every night because part of our codebase is in C++ (11,14,17 and some libraries fucking 2003). Still better than javascript.

If the single biggest and most influential game engine is not a killer app, then what is a killer app? What are C++ and Rust’s killer apps?

Because c# was made by smart guys and then made smarter by those smart guys.

Jow Forums has a shitty opinion and concept of what a "killer" app is. "killer app" sounds like a term basedboys would use, go figure.

You're right in that it provides a healthy VM competition. A lot of this board is really stuck in Uni or school if they think Java is at all important outside of Android app garbage.

Nearly every relevant enterprise framework built in the last 15 years is built on C#, and many of those that aren't are stuck in legacy Java or fucking Swing.

Also
>C++ in the modern era
How's the legacy codebase holding up? Find those comments from 1989 yet?

.NET Core has no BSD support

>unity
>influential
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I dunno, Elixir and Haskell seem to have a pretty good selection of libraries. And besides, if you like OCaml you would use F#, not C#

Bootstrap is, like, 200 KiB.