This is the ideal UI

You may not like it, but this is what peak OS design looks like.

Attached: Windows_2000_Explorer.png (800x600, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

richardkulisz.blogspot.com/2013/03/reserving-jobs-for-humans-no.html
windowmaker.org/
sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/LinuxBuild/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But Windows ME sucked ass.

Sorry kiddo

Attached: classicmac.jpg (832x624, 240K)

you can get this look on gnu

This is the ideal UI. You may not like it, but this is what peak OS design looks like.

Attached: terminal.png (1024x768, 516K)

Linux wants to be a 70s mainframe. TempleOS wants to be a 64-bit Commodore 64. I want a 64-bit early NT redux. Fuck off ReactOS

Why use this when Void already fills the niche?

Unironically this.

Attached: plan9.png (1600x1200, 68K)

>ME
Is that not 2000?

This is just peak autism. This is what happens when your single mom popped you full of pills, video games, and sugary food instead of raising you.

Attached: 1521404998388.jpg (211x244, 21K)

This is the ideal UI. You may not like it, but this is what peak OS design looks like.

Attached: hannah montana linux.png (800x600, 164K)

You're right. I don't like it, but it truly was peak performance.

>when you get ALL the vaccines

Attached: 1514934643705.jpg (411x412, 26K)

Hold my beer.

Attached: 6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d4df2970b-pi.png (800x601, 12K)

I also love homOS

KNOCK KNOCK, HERE COMES MY COCK!

Attached: Haiku_Alpha4_German.png (1026x768, 125K)

But it is w2k

kek

>not gold plating your windows

Attached: gold windows xp.png (1600x1200, 1.27M)

Its the perfect blend of function and comfiness.

Seconded. Windows 2000 is
A E S T H E T I C

There is GCC, Doom, and VIM what more could you ask for

Attached: Screenshot_15.png (1018x835, 387K)

>not windows XP
everything else is literally trash

Attached: xp_desktop.jpg (654x491, 65K)

still in alpha oh boy. I

minimal and functional. it was great for its time. I couldn't see myself using it now.

Ubuntu 16.04 (Unity) (customized with numix icons and theme and Helvetica, not the Ubuntu font which I hate) is my all time favorite and what I could see using for the rest of my life.
> It's just... slick. Smooth.
> It's like the difference between a 4 function calculator and a TI-83. It might be slower than Puppy Linux, but not measurably or noticeably when it comes to human interaction. When it comes to human interaction, it's faster because it understands you better. It had professional design and was made with empathy.

True peak OS design right here.

Peak OS

Attached: AmigaOS4-final.png (1280x1024, 720K)

Windows NT4 was even better IMO. In win2k it had already started to bloat a bit.

If I could have the NT4 UI on a modern kernel I'd be happy.

Gradients are web 2.0 shit and are dated to the mid-2000s for me. Windows XP was good for its time but I like Windows 2000 right now and I think Windows XP is dated right now.

Ubuntu 16.04 and 8.04 are my all time favorites.

iOS 4 was my favorite. I don't like the direction iOS or Android went in. I don't care as much about what kind of phone I have and its UX right now. I used to do a lot of browsing and internet on the phone, now I'm doing it on my laptop again and my phone's just for calls.

The most important thing for phone (and laptop, though this is less important here) UX is uniform icons, preferably designed by one entity, with a list of standard guidelines applying to all of them. In my Windows taskbar right now, there's Explorer, Firefox, foobar2000, LibreOffice, and Notepad icons with all of them having different design standards. Explorer's icon is flat design, Firefox is gradient, Foobar2000 is monochrome/minimal, LibreOffice is rounded corners, Notepad's is glassy/transparent. Along with the flat taskbar itself with Cortana and the mic icon. I use Windows to play games which at least have their UX made by one company with a standard design. I may or may not go back to Ubuntu if I want, I've tried a lot of distros and Ubuntu was my favorite. It's slick, smooth, and crisp. Don't tell me I'm wrong or I should do something else, I didn't post this to read those kinds of replies.

NT4 had the 95 UI, which looks like shit compared to 2000/ME's.

Also it was missing so many basic OS features...

You can't get shit without a colonel, bitchface.

Nice try but the pillow shading and curves ruin it.

when will windows drop flat design?
any sign on what could replace it?

God it's so beautiful, has anyone had any luck ricing a machine to look like this?

Dunno about on Linux, but ReactOS looks like this, tho it's still in alpha.

The problem with UX as I see it is the desire to appeal to the lower common denominator.

This will be solved when AI is developed, which will give people custom design for cheap. Futurists are saying that this will happen in 30 years.

richardkulisz.blogspot.com/2013/03/reserving-jobs-for-humans-no.html

Real AI will never happen.

>I want a 64-bit early NT redux. Fuck off ReactOS
user...

looks cool

Recommend me classic WM bro.
pic related what do you think?

Attached: wprefs24.jpg (1024x768, 109K)

But GNUstep is dead....

>t. oldfag normie

is it? the WM itself still alive and seems in ggod shape windowmaker.org/

>is it? the WM itself still alive and seems in ggod shape

Wmaker getting the odd update doesn't mean the rest of GNUstep isn't abandoned

I've been getting really into i3, but the only thing I don't like is if you stay in tiling mode, windows take up the whole screen. I'd often only have one or two windows open, and don't want them taking up the whole screen.
Also, I don't know how to register some windows as popup type windows.
Other than that, in my opinion, i3 is the ideal desktop UI.

>Linux had the opportunity to actually innovate on the desktop paradigm
>everyone decided to make copies of the old Windows UI except each copy is slightly different so you get all the inconveniences and none of the consistency
>also spinning cubes whoa

what's your cool desktop paradigm innovation?

Not him but the IRIX desktop was literal perfection, and the Haiku OS desktop is a close second. Even to this day, we don't have any desktop that fully rips off the IRIX look. MaXX Interactive was a cheap fork of 4DWM and some images slapped together and rebranded. Little things like scroll wheels to zoom in and out in the file manager, a 3D file explorer, NeXTStep-like tiles for minimized icons, the toolchest, and the good old Motif look made the best OS I've ever used. To this day there's no emulator that can boot it, and all of my SGI hardware is around 20 years old and failing.

At least there's Haiku OS. I use that all the time for text editing and shitposting. Love the window management.

how would you describe the look.style of that? especially the icons

Indigo Magic wasn't really that innovative though, pretty much the same Win3.x/2.x-style paradigm but with some Macintosh-like enhancements thrown in all in a nice spin on Motif.

I can't say it wouldn't be nice to see what a truly modern take on that interface would have looked like, though.

Skeuomorphism with extra shit taste added for flavor.

bspwm has pseudo-tiled state which is bretty neato. Centers the window over the tile region rather than stretching it.

xp was uglier and less functional than 2000
xp was uglier and less functional than vista
xp was uglier and less functional than 8
xp continues to be uglier and less functional than 10

playskool os, not even once

I actually used to enjoy BeOS

Microsoft fucked up this one.

Attached: whistler.gif (1024x768, 33K)

What's wrong with the old Windows UI, though? What inconveniences?

>16yo kids consider that a retro aesthetic
JUST

>is more big

Heh pic related

Attached: 1523543617517.jpg (640x640, 181K)

The ddg image search is not very good at finding retarded shit on pictures.

>The selection Box is more big

Attached: ok_retard.png (1045x847, 792K)

I use Window Maker every day.
It's really nice.

I like 90s UIs, they have their charm. some are still supported by modern Oses..

Attached: Screenshot 2018-04-22 20:19:01.png (1920x1080, 226K)

you can try CDE for a real genuine Unix GUI...

sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/LinuxBuild/

>CDE
Very comfy, but horrible to actually use. It's so archaic that I stopped using it because it's just so old and incompatible with even modern image formats like png for icons.

that's true it's really odd by modern standards.

as for icons, i resorted to use windows 95 icons, modern themes don't really fit in. if you want custom icons then you have to draw them one by one lol.

but there are some really cool features besides its looks, such as an application GUI builder so you can easily develop your own tools with motif GUIs, that's funnier than just using scripts from a terminal.

but yeah the windows management is ancient and not very practical. (I use xfce most of the time but i like to fiddle with other DEs just for fun).

Original Macintosh had amazing UI. Look at how simple and appealing this Apple II emulator is

Attached: pce-macplus-with-border.png (522x352, 20K)

English major here. What's the problem here?

stop reminding me, fuck

Nice blog post where do I subscribe

skeumorphisism and if I some fag in public with a riced computer with that old ass shitty and tasteless style im going to punt the fuck

>Blocks your path

Attached: Microsoft-Bob-screenshot.png (288x216, 72K)

mac OS 9 might have been ripped off from the first iteration of gnome

not much of an obstacle

OS

Computers are for work and there should be no visuals that distract the computer user from completing his or her task in an efficient manner

Attached: 2018-04-23-154719_3960x1920_scrot.png (2882x1920, 37K)

Better throw your degree in the nearest trash can. One should use "bigger", not "more big", an English major should know that.

Top kek... Nothing... Kid

Even the UI looks like shit. Where's the pixel art?

But there should be visuals that improve the efficiency of the computer user.

>2k18
>not running the only divinely inspired OS

Attached: TempleOS_012114.png (640x480, 16K)

Imagine this in VR

Attached: 1450894886580.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

>A file can have, for example, a spinning 3D model of a tank as a comment in source code.
That's it, I'm installing this right now.

umaruposters should be gassed

Your hate is more small than my grammar

Attached: 1466380087975.gif (540x350, 867K)

UX is difficult and needs professionals, not an open community effort

Dam glow in the dark CIA niggers trying to stop TempleOS

I'm using E and love it since E15.

Attached: shot-2018-04-24_01-12-51.jpg (3840x2160, 1.35M)

It looks like you use computers to download any available package. Jesus dude

i've been steering my KDE in this direction, it's legitimately comforting to use

Attached: old skool.png (1920x1080, 416K)

is there still no way to windows classic theme on w10?

Dunno, stock KDE looks OK.

>have 4503 packages
>tries to be minimalistic
I thought that my suse install with 2545 packages is bloat...

It is.

Sure. But 4k packages are just for madman

Yet nobody comes to 100% replica of Win95 DE.
They come close, but not 100%.
And many things in Linux world are wrong because of monopolistic attitude to the whole Linux world of GTK maintainers.
Given that they don't use Linux at all, I wonder how these people didn't fall into irrelevance.
"Thanks" to "Daddy Stallman", I guess.

Attached: 1518140227264.gif (200x160, 2.41M)

>monopoly gtk
not tru
qt is pretty common
also: gtk can be themed
so uh
fuk u

>Reading skills: 0/0

>Computers are for work and there should be no visuals that distract the computer user from completing his or her task in an efficient manner

Attached: you.png (594x422, 207K)