Laptop with 2 SSDs?

Is there a such thing as a laptop with 2 SSDs? I want one OS on the first and a different OS on the second. I know dual booting exists but that seems like a pain in the ass to set up. Just switching the boot order in bios seems like less work and I already know how to do it.

Attached: 601280.jpg (450x401, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Protronix-Optical-Drive-Universal-12-7mm/dp/B004XIU4T2
downloadcloud.com/multi-boot-manager.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Some laptops come with an mSATA port. An mSATA SSD will work like a regular SSD. It's just in a smaller form factor. You can also buy any old laptop with a CD/DVD drive, put one SSD in the main hard disk bay, then buy a $10 adapter bay for another one in place of the optical drive.

amazon.com/Protronix-Optical-Drive-Universal-12-7mm/dp/B004XIU4T2

Picture shows a mechanical disk but it works with SSDs. I'm using one now.

Attached: 61q0slhSkBL._SL1300_.jpg (1300x1300, 109K)

That's still dual booting.
>switching boot order is easier than choosing which OS to boot immediately
No it isn't. Regular dual booting is automatically set up, it's actually easier than getting two different boot loaders and then switching between them using BIOS.

Thanks user

Multiple OSs is a meme ,pick 1 and run whatever else you need on a VM

Yes there is such a thing. I don't know if it's common for a manufacturer to offer multiple SSDs, but there's usually an open slot on the board that you can install an extra one in yourself. Just look up what slots the board has for the laptop you have/want.
I used to dual boot between two different OSes on my laptop from different SSDs, but I got tired of switching back and forth so I replaced the second one with a VM.

downloadcloud.com/multi-boot-manager.html

If I try to do two OSs on one drive I'll have to partition it and then install one of the multi boot loaders at link related. Then install the two OSs.

That seems like the sort of thing that is sold as "easy" but mysteriously won't work and will take me 10 hours of trouble shooting to figure out what's wrong.

I'd rather just switch the boot order when I want the other OS.

>install boot loaders
You don't install boot loaders manually. Grub is installed alongside Linux and it detects all OSs installed. So the steps are literally
>install windows first
>install Linux next
>boot into whatever you want

It is, i have windows 10 on one ssd and linux on the other

I have 3 SSDs in my t420s. One mSATA, one regular SATA and one in the expansion bay. Max comfy

Yes, laptops with 2 ssds exists. I put an msata and a pcie ssd in my x220 and it works like a charm. Anyway, what you're trying to do is really retarded
>seperate os' physically
That's a good idea usually. Windows tends to fuck with grub when they live on the same disk
>dual booting exists but I don't want to do it
What you're trying to do _is_ dual booting. Grub only makes it easier. Depending on the distro you're installing it'll probably happen automatically
>it's a pain to set up
It really isn't. When you boot your gnu/linix partition you'll be asked what it should boot. The menu will be something like
>[branding] Linux on /dev/sdxy
>backup [branding] Linux on /dev/sdxy
>windows x on /dev/sdxy

17" M6800 here, I have s 2.5" bays, a 2.5" in an adapter in place of the optical drive, and an mSATA slot.

Currently the mSATA slot is unused, as I wanted my boot drive to be in the quick change bay.

There's a good reason to do this, that OP hasn't brought up.
That is dedicating a physical drive to a particular install and using whole disk encryption on it.

My first point was that there's legit reasons to seperate your operating systems, he just does it for all the wrong reasons

Yes.

Do this.

Regular dual booting is retarded and a hacky solution to the problem. Your Linux bootloader will still automatically detect your other OS on the second disk and make it bootable. The laptop I am currently using has Linux on the primary SSD, and Windows on a secondary SSD. I can boot straight into Windows from the primary with GRUB.

I do what OP does, for the ease of whole disk encryption.
The toolless HDD bay on my M6800, as I described here makes it amazingly simple.

the latest model available and cheap are Lenovo yoga 520, this one here have pcie ssd+sata ssd. Some asus or shitty hp dell equipped with optical drive can be add for additional sata hdd caddy.

Some dell precision and hp elitebook can do it but expensive as fuck thought.

forgot another one thinkpad e480 can have dual drive too.

this, the only way to dual boot windows and linux without installing a bootloader manually

Get a Thinkpad W540.
It can take 3 SSDs (2 + 1 caddie).

What is Boot Menu

And 4 mem slots and cpu up to i7-4940mx which is still the comfies cpu available on a laptop

7 year old thinkpads have 2 bays and an msata slot.

This shouldnt be hard at all.

My M6800 has a 4810MQ but can be fitted with the 4940MX as well.
I've considered doing it, but have never maxed out my 4810, so I doubt I will.
I'll probably up my RAM to the full 32GB from the 16GB I have, as that's where it gets touchy when multiple browsers with lots of tabs open, and a VM or two are running.

>introducing more points of failure for no reason
>comfy

How does having a Windows partition prevent you from fully encrypting your Linux install?
>inb4 using hardware encryption

>How does having a Windows partition prevent you from fully encrypting your Linux install?
It doesn't, that's the easy part.
Now add in veracrypt on the windows side, and that's where it starts to get fucky, especially on modern UEFI systems with GPT disks.

Did this on my W510

Even better on the Precisions, they take the flat bezel generic one

Get laptop with cd rom. Put ssd in plave of cdrom.

Fun fact, on a lot of low and mid tier laptops, the optical disk SATA port runs at only 3Gb/s or even 1.5Gb/s

>installing bootloader manually
That's the opposite of what that post said. Everything is automated when you're installing Linux. I didn't even know what the hell grub was after 2 years of using Linux and windows, I haven't heard of it.

Not him, but he probably meant that you have to chroot from a live USB to install grub if you do it in the opposite order, i.e. Linux first, Windows second.

>multiple points of failure.
>redundancy

learn the difference.

If some of the three SSDs are mirrors of each other, then that's redundancy (probably not your setup tho, and a stupid way of making backups anyway).
If you have three SSDs serving three different purposes, then that's more points of failure. At least one of three drives failing is more likely than one drive failing.

Not sure if I should use the T430's mSATA slot or get an ultrabay and remove the DVD drive.

Do both, put a HDD in place of the optical disk