Homelab people – what does your homelab actually do?

Homelab people – what does your homelab actually do?

Attached: homelab.jpg (637x960, 87K)

I've got a pfsense vm, a fileserver, a few game servers, a syslog server. I use it as a test environment when writing code.

>Media Server
>Cloud Storage
>Flexible Test boxes via Docker/Esxi
>Power control from Pfsense/LEDE switch and router
>Learning experience from setting up everything and configuration

What doesn't a home lab do

Attached: 1502593073532.jpg (1010x1346, 285K)

All VMs, I test various things but I'm working on rebuilding an AD domain here when I have some free time. I'm going to burn these all down and start over soon, I haven't touched them in awhile.

Attached: vms122317.png (298x253, 11K)

How do I into servers? All I know about these switches is you connect them to each other and idk why.

Gibs me da fuk dat nao

Hot shit man

fuzzing

What are your electricity bills like?

i run 3 ceph ones with a total of 769 tb of space atm
im a data hoarder and nothing more especially now that people started to rip BR disks

It keeps me warm when it's cold outside and it's where I keep all my virtual worlds when I'm away from home.

This. How affordable is something like that in Op's pic?

sometimes I wish I was autistic enough to cable like this. it looks beautiful.

If you can afford to buy all that stuff you surely can pay 50/100 USD a month.
I have a single server running 24/7 and it costs me no more than 5 USD a month.

As nice as that looks those look like cable ties, not really the most practical setup for troubleshooting or patching new cables.
No labels on the cables either.

Good colour coordination though, props for that, not enough prople do it

jesus are you a fan noise enthusiast?

i'm constatly exposed to netwokirng gear noise in my job, and i legitimately think that you are kinda wierd.

first get a book, maybe this one

start learning. It really isnt all that difficult, other people have mostly done all the work before you. It wont be like youre having to invent anything

Attached: lrg.jpg (500x656, 167K)

Oh, so you dont work in the industry then, youre just a home enthusiast?

Fair enough. Was just wondering. It's high time that got off my ass and did something similar here at home. Am sys-admin type at my work, but have nothing set up at home.

girls-laughing.jpg

Attached: bunkum.png (136x23, 748)

Let's see that 769TB of space.

I do, and have cabled several racks worth of panels (university campus). they look... "ok" but never as neat and tidy as this one; admittedly this is like a 12U rack with like 30 cables so it's far easier to make it neater than a 42U rack with a couple of hundred cables, but still.

?

I do a lot of virtualization on my homelab but honestly since AWS is cheap as fuck I've moved a lot into EC2 there with a VPN tunnel back to home.

What is the cheapest option for a homeserver with at least 1tb ram? Rest is not important, just need about 6 relatively fast cores.

can any anons point me towards basic setup guides for building a smaller home setup, for tunneling, hardware firewall, nas, ssh remote, etc trying to educate myself on the basics to eventually run cad/cam through a network vm to home cnc garage stuffs

>at least 1tb ram
I don't think there's any way to do this cheaply

velcro ties are like 10 bucks for a kabillion my guy. OPs pic takes probably like 20 minutes if you do it from the ground up. Cable mgmt is only hard when you're adding to a system that already exists.

>192.168.239.X

Attached: 1505383669837.png (191x173, 82K)

>40tb+ file server
>plex, duh
>some game servers for friends
I only got a 1 Gbit/s network so the file server gets bottlenecked at times, I should upgrade the network cards.

Why do you need a syslog server? Curious

Read the post it says cheapEST

Look into setting up pfSense on a server. It has most of those abilities and supports plugins and other stuff so you can extend functionality pretty far.

Security, if something gets hacked and logs are deleted you still have them.

Dude what's up with your subnetting?

Why the fuck are you even posting on Jow Forums? Fuck off

Why are you even trying to spoonfeed a normie retard. Fuck off

>im mad
Have fun